A Young Man

Another Truth

Eunji and Mark ran into the Emergency Room. Minhyuk and L.Joe were with a man, who were all injured, minorly, and were being treated by the nurses, but Chanyeol and Joongki were no where to be seen. Minhyuk and L.Joe were both feeling guilty. Not only did they hide what they were doing, but now they ended up in the hospital, where Eunji worked at. "Aye, it hurts!" She heard Joongki shouted and all her worries were replaced with relief. 

"Hyung, damn it, you should have avoided the pole." Chanyeol said and Eunji rushed to them.

"Yah, I am already skilled enough to have avoided crashing into that damned truck." The brother turned around, noticing someone glaring at them, and saw Eunji. 

Mark went to look at the wounds and ordered for a CT to be scanned for the 5 newcomers, although they all seemed fine. "I will head back." He told Eunji and patted her shoulder before he went to put on gloves to treat Park Chanyeol, who might have some explanations to do. Earlier, he swore Eunji was about to faint. She was extremely worried to death, and it was understandable.

"Eunji-ah..." Chanyeol called out and Eunjis brows furrowed together. She went to sit in between Joongki and Chanyeol, but in silence. She didn't look at them anymore and simply sat there, which made Joongki and Chanyeol feel guilty. Mark was back with the materials and silently cleaned the wounds. "I'm sorry to have worried you." He said and Eunji looked up at Chanyeol. Then turned to look at Joongki. 

"What the hell are you guys doing... with those 2 over there." She asked. And it seemed like they couldn't hide the truth any longer.

[...]

”So you planned to tell me when? If this accident didn’t happen, are you planning to tell me next year? Or when something big happened? Brothers, I understand why you guys won’t tell me, I am hotheaded, but now I am no longer the same person as I was before, I just want to know that you all are alright.” She said and leaned against the back rest. “Is there anything else you need to tell me, now that we’re at it?”

Joongki cleared his throat, knowing exactly the situation with Park Taejoon. Chanyeol was silent. Mark and the nurses were done with everything and so they didn’t hesitate to leave after their business were done. “Uncle... He...”

[...]

The ride back home was extremely dreadful. Eunji was sitting in the back of the car while Joongki and Chanyeol were in front, also in silence. Minhyuk and L.Joe brought Kwon Sanggyu back with them, in order to protect him from any threat. After all, he will be interrogated by Joongki, for tonight, a fire needed to be put out. 

After dropping Joongki off at the police station, Chanyeol was left with Eunji. Once in th driveway, the sister got out of the car without waiting for her brother. As soon as she was inside the house, she looked for her uncle. Was she mad? Chanyeol wondered and really this time he couldn’t read her at all. 

“Eunji-ah.” He called and she stopped. “Uncle’s not home...” He started to say and Eunji cut him off midway.

”Oppa!” She called out and fell on the floor. “I am not asking you to be heroes. I am not asking you to report everything to me. I am not asking you to get me involved. I simply want to know what is happening with you all, especially when you guys are in danger. I don’t want to end up losing more people I care about by the simply fact that I didn’t have time for them! Why do you think I came back? Do you really think it was only for work? It’s because I want to be with my family! I don’t care whatever it is, I want to know, for the sake of being a member of the family.”  She told him and crouched down. She covered her face and her brother stood in front of her in shock. 

He approached her and kneeled down besides her, passing an arm around her shoulders. “I’m sorry Eunji-ah.”

”What am I? I am not a child anymore I can handle the truth. I can handle everything. I don’t want to know something after an accident happened.” She said and pushed her brother away, yet Chanyeol reached out for his sister again, and hugged her tightly.

”I know. I understand...” He told her. He was trembling a little bit and damn now he knew how important family members were, and how they are different from anyone else he could share something with. You’re simply more emotional. “I really thought I won’t see you and uncle again... That was when I know I messed up.” He said and apologized again. “I’m sorry.” He said and he shut his eyes closed, preventing the tears to fall down.

These feelings of guilt and regrets were simply too strong for him. They became stronger when Eunji spoke up her mind and she was right. What was a family for...? And who did he think Eunji was at this age? Maybe it was because he barely soent his childhood with her, but... it was undeniable that she had grown up. She was able to handle more than he could. He simply kept everything for himself and gosh it had been a rough year. 

“Brother...” Eunji called. “Let’s be a family. Let’s go through it all together.” Her brother was too emotional to be able to answer her, but managed to at least nod. Eunji patted her brother’s back and he released her.

Chanyeol nodded, “I will keep your words in mind.” He said and Eunji nodded. 

When Taejoon came back home, the first thing he saw was his niece and nephew on the floor at the main hall, and he didn’t really know what to tell them. “... What are you guys doing?” He asked and Eunji turned to her uncle. Why did it look like she hadn’t seen him for so long? 

“Uncle.” Eunji called and approached her uncle for a hug which was also joined by Chanyeol soon after. 

Taejoon was extremely touched by the sudden affection from his niece and nephew, yet, he was very happy that his past mistakes didn’t prevent the family to still remain strong. And really, he, today, knew what he wanted the most in life: his loving family to be safe and sound.

Eunji’s phone started to ring and it was L who had called. “Myung.” She called in a tired voice.

”Is everything alright?” He asked and paused. “Did eveeything go well with him?” He asked and Eunji’s lips curled up, remembering everything that happened tonight.

”Yes.” She replied calmly. “Everything is fine and well.” She told him and this was what she truly believe. 

“So, I guess I am about to hear some good news concerning your romantic life.”

She let out a chuckle, “It feels different.” She said. “It brings in color no matter our dark it is.”

”So, who is this lucky man?” He asked curiously.

”Dr. Mark Tuen, from the Emergency Department.” She replied. So it was their senior who had won the ice cold heart of Park Eunji. Yet, rather than being jealous or any of those negative feelings, L was sincerely happy for Eunji. After all, he wanted her to be happy more than anything else. As long as she was happy, it didn’t matter what other things happen.

”I am sincerely happy for you.”

”Thank you L, for being there with me. From then until now. You are truly one of my bestest blessing in my life.” She said and Myungsoo smiled at her words.

”Then I should take advantage of this status.” He joked. “Alright, good night Eunji.” He said in a calm voice and she greeted him back goodnight. 

To end this night, Eunji and Mark called each other. Before they left the hospital earlier, after all the scans had been done and the results were entirely normal, Mark told her to call him whenever she needed to. And he would call before she went to sleep. And he did. 

“Are you feeling alright?” He asked and Eunji replied with a yes. Yet, that was all he asked. Mark wasn’t particularly interested in what exactly happened. Rather, he was more concerned with how Eunji was feeling and how she was doing. 

“Aren’t you curious about what all that was about earlier?” She asked. 

He answered negatively, “Nope.” He assured her sincerely. “I can figure the past you lived and coped with. And everyone, including myself, have a past that we still remember or can’t completely let go of. With time and people, those wounds and traumatic experiences and event would slowly heal. Eunji-ah, I don’t want to be someone who needs to know everything at once. We have time, a lifetime. Eventually, I will know of you like you to me.” He said and Eunji laughed again.

”A lifetime huh?” She teased.

”Am I wrong?” He dared her to answer the question.

”No you’re not.” When Eunji looked out at the sky which was also the same which Mark was currently looking at, they noticed tiny snowflakes falling from the dark sky. Yet, the streets’ light lamps made the snow glow, and quickly, the grey asphalt was covered with a thin layer of a white fluffy mat of snow that reflected the light of the lamps. 

///

Kwon Sanggyu, early in the morning, was surrounded by 4 people, Park Corp's chairman, two detectives and a random guy. He didn't have a choice right now, these people were his last resort, if he wanted to stay alive. At this point, even if he came to him again, he wouldn't help him anymore. He had decided to get rid of him, well now he will show him how he will play this game. 

"Kwon Sanggyu, we all know how your situation is, if you're not going to cooperate, you will be left on your own. Whatever happen to you won't be my business until your corpse is found." Joongki and although he was with the police force, Song Joongki was the head of the Severe Crime Unit who usually took care of cases that involved murder cases. And Sanggyu knew there weren't other people who he could turn to.

"I understand." He finally said, in cooperation which relieved everyone in the room. Because if he were to say otherwise, they would certainly have to worry about more complicated and severe problems. ”I will cooperate, but I am telling you in advance, I don’t know as much as you think I do.” He said. 

“How about you tell us what you know?” Joongki suggested by cutting in.

”We refer to the boss, leader, whatever you think his role is as ‘him’. But he never does anything himself. His minions do it for him. So if you want to know anything about him, I really don’t know a single thing about him and I have never seen him.” The man explained. “As for your parents...” He continued and Chanyeol’s strong gaze fell on the man. “It was a crime I know I could never ask for forgiveness for. No matter what was happening, I shouldn’t destroy your famiky...” 

“What is done is done.” Chanyeol firmly replied.

”I was simply contacted with a burner phone. At first I thought it was some sort of prank, but a down payment had been made to my bank account... Then the rest you know. I had to do it." He said. "All I know is that this person often sends people to do things for him, why he wanted to get rid of your parents... this I really don't know. All I know is that he doesn't play and has a lot of power behind him."

"Then you're actually as clueless as we are." Joongki said and Kwon Sanggyu actually didn't answer that, and actually agreed that he was as clueless as them. "Anything else that you think might be helpful?" 

He thought for a while, "There is this young man... He recently warned me about the danger that awaited me..." He said and this caught everyone's attention. Everyone in the room straightened their back to listen what followed the announcement. "I thought he was one of you guys but seeing your reactions, I guess he is not." He said. "He came to see me a few days before you came to see me in the prison." 

Who might that person be... Although his actions showed him to be with them, his real intentions were still not known. He might be setting a trap for them... Yet, this man might know a lot more if he was on their side, and it would be good to find him... But how?

"J." Joongki called and Minhyuk already knew what he would be ordered to do: Checking all CCTV cameras where a young man could have shown his face. “Kwon Sanggyu. Have you evere seen his face?” The man shook his head.

”He always wore a mask when he came to me. Probably to prevent having his identity exposed.” 

"Which is more troublesome...." Joongki commented. "Alright. Kwon Sanggyu now that you have officially became a target from some unknown assassins, what do you plan to do? Are you on our side because if so, we don't accept any betrayals."

"Do I look like I could go on another path? Those bastards want me dead when I have no intentions of revealing anything. I will do what they thought I did."

"Good...." The detective looked around the room. "J and L.Joe might have a room for you."

The two fell into silence after having a new housemate being added against their wills. "Hyung..." L.Joe called, trying to find another solution. But there weren’t any other solutions and he knew it very well. So he quickly gave up on this idea.

”Hyung. I might have found a lead on where we could find this ‘young man’.” J said and every heads turned to him, as if in a completely silent room, someone’s stomach decided to growl. Or in an examination hall, someone coughed nonstop for 10 minutes straight. That was the sorta looks he was getting in the room. “Yeon District. There was only one car that seemed to be a little more unusual, and showed up in the prison centre at the specified date." 

"Seems like Detective Lee will have to return a favor to us sooner than we thought he would." He commented and pulled out his phone to dial the young detective's number. Gikwang had recently solved a case involving the help of a “psychic’s” power. Of course, Joongki didn’t believe that the news said. If citizens were to read the story behind, they would know how non-psychic the case actually was. But you know, people never read the entire back story before spreading stories and rumours. They don’t really care about this side of things, rather; they preferred attracting massive crowds of people to their false stories.

"Detective Song." Greeted a female voice on the other line. And Joongki knew it was none other than Ms. Im, Im Yoona, from the Severe Crime Unit from Yeon District. Who else would be with Detective Lee at 9:53PM at night? No one. And based on Gikwang's personality... really there is no one else. 

"Ms. Im, it's nice to hear your voice. Is Detective Lee anywhere near you by chance?" He asked and politely, Yoona replied with a yes. A few sounds of footsteps and there a male's voice took over the line. 

"Detective Song." Greeted a tired male voice. 

"Is there something that the news didn't catch?" Teased Joongki and Gikwang's laugh over the phone proved him otherwise. "I guess I overthought." Joongki continued with a laugh. The atmosphere slowly settled back calmly to a serious one. "Actually, I need your help in one of our case. I need more specifically your colleague's help... Her name was.... Boram? Baram?" 

"Ah... you need to find someone in our district?" Guessed Gikwang. Of course, nothing could escape from the quick-witted detective Lee. " I will give you her contact information, don't worry about bothering her in the middle of the night, she will be gladly accepting your request." He said. And Detective Song thanked him before he received a text message from the SCU leader. 

He looked behind him and L.Joe and Minhyuk were escorting their "protegee" to their apartment. Hopefully, Joongki thought, everything will be fine. He believed and trusted L.Joe and J's abilities. They have been working with him for 9 years now, he simply knew it. 

***

The following morning, Joongki held in front of him the death certificate of a young man under the care of Ryu Jaehyuk who also passed away. "Han-sung." Joongki read. Of course Song Joongki knew who Ryu Jaehyuk was to not not recognize the name. But it was the first time he had heard of Hansung's name. He didn't recall hearing about him. He was sure Ryu Jaehyuk didn't have a child before his death nor did he have a wife... Who was this Han-sung? And why was someone using this name? Why did this name appear up in their searches... There were simply too many questions to be answered.