The Encounter

Another Truth

AUTHOR POV

"As you guys already know, for having had worked in different places up til now, neurosurgey occur in a variety of situation. My job in here is to allow you guys to be exposed to different situations." The Chief Shin said as he walked around with the residents behind him. "I really need some interns to be transferred here. I then can order them to do things." He suddenly said playfully. "Chief Jang is lucky to have two." The four residents behind him only smiled.

They stopped in the room where the patient was transferred here yesterday. "Did you got the results?" Joonwoo asked. "Deh." Jr replied and took out the blood test results. "It confirms that he has a frontal lobe tumor in his brain." Jr said. "And what do we need to do?" Joonwoo asked Jr. 

"We need to operate the patient and remove it."

"Good. You will be in charged of this surgery then" Joonwoo said. Someone entered the room. "Good morning Chief Shin." They heard Chief Jang said, from the second building said.

"Good moring Chief Jang." Said Joonwoo and both continued on their way, continuing what they were doing. Thus, people around could feel the sudden change in the atmospere.

 

 

LUNCHTIME (1:45 PM)

They having instant noddles since it was almost 2 o'clock. Eunji and Hyoyeon were in the staff room, sitting next to each other on the couch. "Did something bad happened between Chief Shin and Chief Jang?" Eunji asked Hyoyeon. "Hmm..." She did and thought for a while. Suddenly, L and Jr stretched out their heads between the two, curious about the answer. "Yah!" Hyoyeon did.

"We just wanted to know the reason. Between all of us, Hyoyeon is the one who worked here the longest." Jr explained and Eunji moved aside to let them sit. "Aren't you a bit scared or startled?" L asked in disbelief.

"Not at all, I saw your reflections on the computer screen." She replied. 

"Jinja?" L asked and sighed while Jr and Hyoyeon were just staring at Eunji, surprised. "I told you guys, she's the most unormal one." L said and Eunji laughed lightly after she realised what it sounded when she said that she saw their reflection on the computer screen that was on the other side of the room. "Araseo. Araseo." She said. "I'm the most unormal." She said in surrender. She turned back to Hyoyeon. "Let's hear the answer for our question from our sunbae-nim." Hyoyeon nodded and cleared . 

"So I have been working in this hospital since my internship. I have worked with Chief Jang and this year with Chief Shin." Hyoyeon started to say. "I remember Chief Jang wasn't like that at all when I was working with him." She said. "He was really playful, funny and patient. He was totally different than how he was now. He wouldn't get angry just because you're late, just like how he reacted on your first day." Hyoyeon said to Eunji and L. 

"Jinja?" Jr asked. "Deh." Their sunbae replied.  Eunji and the other two looked at each other, surprised, hard to believe what they just heard. "Then, four months later, after my first three months's internship with Chief Jang, I heard that he took 2 weeks off. 2 months after that, he came back and was never the same he was before." She said. "There was a lot of rumors back then. But we never knew what happened."

"Ahh..." L and Jr did.

"Something really bad must have happened." Jr said and Hyoyeon nodded. In the same time, the head of the nurses, Song Jinhyun came inside the staff room for a cup of coffee. "Oh? Annyeong." She said to the residents. The residents stood up and bowed at her. "Don't need to be this formal." She said. "Hyoyeon, I've known you for so long, why are you being like this?" 

Hyoyeon only smiled. "Mianhae unnie." The nurse smiled. "Call me noona/unnie from now on." What are you guys doing?" She asked them.

"Ahh..." Hyoyeon started to say while the rest insisted that Hyoyeon go ask the nurse what happened between Chief Jang and Chief Shin. "We were talking about the relationship between Chief Shin and Chief Jang." 

"I see." The nurse did. 

"Do you by chance know what happened?" L asked directly.

"I didn't know young people like you would be interrested in stuff like that. You're very curious." Jinhyun said firstly and laughed. "I do know." She said. "But it would be better if Joonwoo tell the story by himself. Go to work araseo?" 

"Deh unnie." Hyoyeon said on behalf of her juniors. They all stood up and bowed. "Let's go." Hyoyeon said and they followed Hyoyeon and the head nurse out. Myungsoo was talking with Hyoyeon and Jinhyun. Eunji on her side was the last to leave the room. She took a step with her heels and stopped. The back of her ankle was bleeding. "Aish." She did. "Are you alright?" She heard Jr asked her. She turned to him, who was holding the door for her. "Thank you." She said and walked out of the room. "I'm alright, I was just looking at my heels." She said. Jr nodded.

"Wait.." He said and approached his hand to her face. He removed an eyelash that fell on her face. "Thank you." She said to him. "No problem." He said and smiled. They were continuing to walk. Jr who was glancing at Eunji, saw her walking strangely. He noticed it was because of the heels. 

"You studied in London right?" Jr asked.

"Yeah, for 6-7 years." She replied. "I just moved back." 

"Ahh, I see." He said and understood why she still wearing heels. They went back to the reception counter, they greeted Jinhyun before they each go back to the patients. "Annyeonghaseyo." Eunji greeted in the room A5-50. The patient was someone who was hospitalized because of brain cancer, and just received surgery. "Deh doctor. Thank you." She said. 

"Why are you thanking me?" Eunji asked kindly and surprised that a patient thanked her. "Because of you, doctors, that I can survive. I was able to see my child's smile." She replied. Eunji took her hand. "The one who helped you is your own will of surviving. You need to be strong." Eunji said and the patient nodded. She was a woman in her 40s. She was wearing a beige wool hat, knitted by her daughter. She smiled weakly. Her name was Yoon Jonghye.

"Thank you." Mrs Yoon said once again.

"How are you feeling today?" Eunji asked.

"I'm feeling good." She replied. Eunji made sure that everything was alright before she leaves. "Rest well." She told the patient and smiled at her. 

 

*Biip Biip*

"Ohh?" Eunji did and saw nurses running towards a room. "Dr. Park, emergency in room A5-68." She quickly put her phone away and ran to the room A5-68, since she was the nearest. As soon as she stepped in, Jr was already inside the room.

"What's wrong?" She asked and checked the BP. "It's too high." She said and Jr took out his medical flashlight and checked the pupils of the patient. "Bring him to have a CT scan." Jr said quickly. "I think he has a brain hemorrhage." He said and Eunji nodded. He put away his flashlight and the nurses quickly do as he said. 

"Where's Chief Shin and Hyoyeon?" Eunji and Jr asked in the same time. If it confirms that the patient has a brain hemorrhage, they will need to perform a surgery. "They are in the middle of a operation. It just started." 

Eunji and Jr sighed in disbelief. "Call him. Right now." Jr ordered. "While the results aren't here yet." He finished. The call to the surgery room was connecting. "What? I'm in the middle of a surgery." They could hear Dr. Shin said. "There's a patient that I think have a brain hemorrhage, we're waiting for the CT results." As soon as Jr finished talking, a nurse quickly came back and handed to Eunji and him the results he was waiting for. Eunji quickly took it since Jr was on the phone.

" It is a brain hemorrhage." Eunji said.

"I'm almost done with the surgery, go to the operation room beside the one I am in right now. Call Dr. Jang to be on standby." Chief Shin ordered and ended the call.

"Bring him to the surgery room right now." Jr said. He looked at Eunji. "You should come help." 

"Deh." She replied and they both quickly ran to a operation room. "Call L also, the building need him to supervise." Jr said to Eunji. "If there's other emergencies, call the main reception hall." Eunji told the nurse while she tried to reach L.

While the nurses and anesthesiologist we're preparing inside, Eunji and Jr were cleaning and desinfecting their hands.

"Microscope." Chief Shin ordered. "Has Dr. Park entered the surgery room yet?" 

"Yes, Chief Shin. The  anesthesiologist just put in the medication."

He nodded.  

Without wasting anymore time, as the life of the patient is in their hands, Eunji and Jr entered the surgery room. Jr was not nervous since he have had encountered these cases many times now, he knew exactly what to do. First by drilling a small hole in the skull then using needle to aspirate the blood in the brain. Jinyoung stared at the CT scan for a while and told Eunji to drill a hole in the skull. 

"Scapel." Eunji said and a nurse handed him the material she ordered. "Trephine."

 

Eunji, after her first surgery as a final year resident, was walking in the hallway. It was already midnight when she looked at her watch. She had to stay on night duty tonight, she was looking through every patient's charts while they were asleep. She then went to the counter and started to fall asleep. Someone tapped her shoulder. When she looked up, it was Hyoyeon who she saw.

"Go have some sleep, I will be here. If anything happen I will wake you up." Her sunbae said. "Are you sure?" Eunji asked. "Deh, don't worry."

"Then, I will be back in 1 hour." She said.

"No come back at 2 in the morning. Or even at 3." Hyoyeon said. "I've checked, everything seem pretty fine. Don't worry and go have some sleep. I prefer you to go sleep than making mistakes if we have an emergency." 

After Eunji accepted to go have some rest, she was walking to a room where residents can go to sleep. In this building, in the neurosurgery department, the room for the women are at the end of the main hallway near the entrance of the neurosurgery's floor. 

Eunji entered the room and looked around. There was 2 beds and a table between the two beds. There was a window and some hangers on the wall, there was also some shelves on it and a lamp between the beds. Eunji went to lit it up and sat on the bed. She was only staring in at the window for a long while.

 

"Noona, have you seen Eunji?" Myungsoo asked. "I have been searching for her." 

"Ah.. I told her to have some sleep and come back later when she's more energized." Hyoyeon replied and as soon as she finished, L bowed and ran to find Eunji. He was running in the hallway and reached the room where Eunji was staying in no time. He knocked at the door and Eunji went to open it.

"What are you doing here?" She asked. "I'm just tired." L replied and pushed the door opened kindly. He entered the room while Eunji glared at him. "What do you mean I'm tired? This room is for..."

"It's alright." L cutted in and turned to her with a smile. "No seriously stop joking, go to the men's dorm." Eunji said and pulled him to the door, but L grabbed her hand. "I will only stay here until you fall asleep." He said and Eunji stopped moving. "What are you talking about? I can sleep..."

"If you were able to sleep, you wouldn't be awake right now." L said and ruffled her hair. "Myungsoo..." Eunji called his name. "Yes?" "Do you think I'm weak compared to who I was before?" She asked. L smiled. "Not at all. I find you stronger. Really."

 

Earlier, when L ran off to the room where Eunji was staying, Jr saw him and decided to follow him, curious about what was wrong. When he saw Myungsoo enter the women dorms, he knew it was for Eunji. Then he wondered what seriously happened. He then heard that L won't leave until Eunji fall asleep. Why can't she fall asleep? That was what bothering him. Then he walked away, with questions bothering him.

Back to the room, Eunji just stared at L. "Come on." L said and pulled her to the bed. He sat besides the bed and told her to lay down. "Just close your eyes." L said and took her hand. "Yah, it's not that I'm that scared." She said to him. "I know you're not." L replied without releasing her hand. "Tomorrow we end at 4:00 and start at 1:00 PM, let's go visit my brother's shop." Eunji said and L agreed. Eunji wanted to take her phone but he stopped her. "I will give Hyung a call later." He said.

 

Around 2:30, Eunji woke up. She then saw L, still holding onto her hand, sitting on the bed. She helped him to lay down and put a blanket over him. Then she got out of the room. She went to the wing B and made sure the patients are alright.

She went into room B5-29. A patient was sitting on the bed. "Mrs. Kwon, are you alright?" Eunji asked. "Dr.." The patient started to say. "I feel pain on my head."

"You just received a surgery, it is like that. I will give you some pain killer." She replied and smiled weakly.

'Sometime I really wonder what we can do to help the patients to feel less painful. Even though we're powerless.' Eunji thought and called a nurse. "Make sure ou give her pain killer and salt water." She said. "Also, make sure that it is not leaking. Not only for her, but for each patient that had a surgery." 

The nurse nodded and Eunji went back to the patient. "You will be alright." She said and patted her hand.

 

Around 4:00 in the morning, the chief let Eunji and L to go home first and come back at 1:00 PM. Eunji was tired and was in the changing room. After she got her stuff, she sat on the benches in the waiting room to wait for L. She was falling asleep when someone covered her eyes. 

"Guess who's here." L said. Eunji laughed lightly. "Yah, you did that when we were still in high school." She said and tried to removed L's hands but he didn't let her. "Just say who I am first." He said. "You're being serious?" Eunji asked and sighed, with a smile. "Myungsoo." 

"Why do you call me by my name?" L asked. "You don't like it? It's rare that I call you L." 

"Araseo. Let's go." L said and removed his hands. They both walked out of the hospital.

"I asked hyung earlier an he said he will be in the shop for the whole." L said to Eunji. Chanyeol was a very busy man, not only he has to take care of the coffee shop but also the family business. Since Eunji has decided to pursue the career of a doctor, it is Chanyeol who would take over the company, originated by their parents. 

At the same time, Taejoon also came back home. "Annyeonghaseyo."

"You both just came back?" Taejoon asked and went to pat L's shoulder. 

"Annyeong Eunji." The uncle said but Eunji stood up and glared at him. "W..What's wrong?" He asked.

"Uncle, why do you still go on business trips? We're good like this now." Eunji said and without waiting for an answer, she walked to her room. "Eunji." Taejoon tried to call his niece, but she didn't turned to face him. L stopped him and told him he will talk to her tomorrow.

 

The next day, L and her decided to pay a visit to Chanyeol at his coffee shop, then drop off Latte before they both go to work. Eunji and L were walking on the sideroad talking about everything. When they were in front of the shop, Eunji turned to L. "You know what I want right?" Eunji said to L. "Yeah." He replied. "Did you get enough sleep?" L asked. She only nodded. "I can survive." She then said.

"Araseo. I know what to order." 

"Thanks." 

Eunji was helping an old lady for directions. "I think you need to turn left at this corner." Eunji said and pointed at a corner of the street. "Thank you young lady, have a nice date with your boyfriend." The old lady, in her 70s said. "Ani, he's not my boyfriend." Eunji said and only let out a laugh in disbelief. 

"Stop right there!!" She heard a voice shout, from behind. As soon as the voice finished to speak, Eunji saw a man running as fast as he could to escape. "I will leave first." Eunji said quickly and chased after the man.

Eunji ran behind the man, once he realised he was followed, he turned to face her. "Who are you?" He asked, confused. But she didn't reply. He knew she was here to catch him. They ran into an alley and there was no way out. The man stopped, trying to catch his breath. They were behind a pastry shop. Eunji said but the man attacked. He prepared to punch but Eunji took a step back and dodged the punch. She garbbed his fist and brought it behind his back. She tripped him on the floor, made him lose balance. He fell on the ground with a big sound and gasped from the pain.

"Stop." The voice from earlier said. She turned to the one who just spoke and stopped moving. Someone suddenly tapped her shoulder and by reflex, she punched the person on the face.


Here's a chapter after a long while! Sorry for the word mispelled and enjoy this chapter! Next chapter: "Emergency Department". Who did she met? Who did she punch in the face? Discover it in the next chapter.