Chapter 44

You've Fallen for a Bad Guy

Listen to this song while reading <3

All day and night, Ljoe was just trapped in prison along with Jang Sooman. Neither of them started a conversation, it was an awkward moment.

Nana was staying at Chunji's home. She didn't want to go home, she would only feel alone since her mother is gone and her father is in prison...

"God took them all away from me," she whispered to herself, lying on a bed in the extra room in Chunji's house. It was not a usual night anymore, she couldn't sleep with peace. Fluttering her eyes slowly then widening her eyes open, she sat up on her bed panting and gasping. She rested her arms on top of her knees, recalling the nightmarish dream she had.

"Are you okay?" Chunji rushed in and sat at the edge of Nana's bed. "I heard you scream..." he said and touched Nana's hand. “Did you have a nightmare?" Nana nod her head, feeling relieved to see Chunji and then she swiftly hugged him tight and close.

Chunji patted her back to comfort her, "its okay, Nana. It's just a dream."

"Chunji-ah...I want to see him..."

There was no time for Ljoe to feel heartbroken. He understands how Nana truly feels, and even if he is against it...He knows that he can’t stop or change someone's feelings especially Nana's. So, that night, all he could do was be in her embrace and stay like that as long as Nana needs it.

* * *

The following day, Jane went to see Ljoe but when she got there, Nana was already there. The two couples looked really happy even though Ljoe is in prison now, and for so many years, he will stay there. What would Nana do? Visits him every day? Jane shed tears at that moment; she hid herself behind a wall and started to cry.

She was crying because it was painful for her too, seeing Ljoe in jail and seeing him happy with someone else. She was doubting whether she should continue her plans...It would turn her evil, but she wanted to be the one free Ljoe, and she wanted to do that right now and not to wait for more years. She grew up impatient.

A moment later, Nana left and it was Jane's turn.

"I'll help you escape tonight," she said in a low voice.

"No." Ljoe said, glaring at Jane. "It's okay, Jane. I'm fine here; you don't need to do anything."

"Yes, I need to do it. You want to escape don't you? Don't you want to be by her side?" When she said 'her', the image of Nana popped out her mind. "I can make that happen."

"I'm a criminal. So, whatever you want to do, I'm staying here because I know I deserve to be here. You know that too---"

"Whether you like it or not, I'll escape you here. Even if I have to do 'force', I will." She raised an eyebrow and walked away.

* * *

At night, Nana was having a fever. Chunji was there to take care of her. He told her that she should go to the hospital but she said she wanted to stay.

When Chunji left to buy her medicine, she went to Chunji's study room. She took a pencil and sheet of paper from a drawer and started writing something to ease her mind and bring out the pain she was feeling in her tight heart.

'I miss you, Byunghun.

I hate you, too.

But I love you at the same time.

You killer you murderer...

I don't know why I feel this way for you,

it's a stupid feeling, isn't it?

I know you love me too,

I hope you're really true about that.

Because I would like to wait for you,

until they set you free and then...

We can be together.

Even if father is against it, he has no choice.

When the time he is also set free,

Byunghun-ah, I want you to befriend him, okay?

If you don't,

I'll hate you again.

I TAKE THAT BACK!

I won't hate you ever again because I know something bad would happen.

I don't want to keep blaming myself,

I don't want to lose you again.

So, I won’t hate you again. I will love you forever.

Promise me, you will do the same okay?

The ring you gave me, I will keep it with me.

Because I believe you love me.

However, I won't find another man... I won't find a better man.

Lee Byunghun, for me, you're the one.

I will wait for you, Lee Byunghun.

You better come back to me... Alright?'

"Nana, what are you doing here?" Chunji came in and asked. Nana quickly folded the letter and put it in her pocket. She shifted her eyes at Chunji and smiled wryly.

"Chunji-ah, let's go visit Byunghun." She said.

"Huh? But you already did earlier."

"I want to check if he's sleeping. Please?"

Chunji couldn't refuse her. "Okay, let's go then." 

* * *

Jane brought with her a gasoline and a lighter. It was time to burn down the police station but before that, she had to bring Ljoe with her.

Leaving the gasoline at the side, she sneaks inside the police station. Every time a police notice her, she would hide and kick them down once she's found. Every police officer that approached her flashed out and some of them just didn't notice that there was an intruder.

The prisoners started shouting when they saw her stepped inside and unlocking the prison door where Ljoe and Sooman were kept.

"Let's go," Jane said in a hurry.

"Jane! What are you doing here?!" Ljoe shouted, disappointed.

"If you're not coming...Then I have no choice," Jane held a police' bat and hit it on Ljoe's head. Ljoe out and fell; Jane caught him and dragged him with her, putting his arms around her neck so she could carry him away.

She took a sideways glance at Sooman before leaving.

"Are you coming or not?" Jane asked.

"No." Sooman said.

"Tch," Jane clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes at him. It was the old man's only chance, but he refused just like Ljoe. Oh well, it's not my problem, she thought coolly and went away.

She was wise as hell and she was able to get out of that Police Station with Ljoe while the police officers ran around searching for them. The station erupted into loud and panicking voices.

Quickly, Jane put Ljoe down. She grabbed the gas and the lighter. Then she spread the gas by the side of the Police Station and spread them on circle. Finally, she grabbed the lighter from her pocket and opened it. She threw it on the scattered gas causing the flame.

Jane actually manages to drag the unconscious Ljoe away from the burning station all by herself and then suddenly, the Police Station ignited from the lighter's flame and resulted to an explosion. She blew out a deep sigh and continued dragging Ljoe in a car. 

When the two got in the car, there was another explosion, causing Jane to hunch back. She honestly felt bad for the people inside there, she is selfish and she knows that. Without hesitation, she started the engine of her car and drove away.

Just when they were in the middle of the road, Ljoe slowly woke up and widened his eyes when he found himself in that car. She looked at Jane and yelled at her. "What the---Jane! What did you do?! We should get back there!"

"Stop! I'm going to bring you to Nana!" She yelled back, focusing herself on the road.

"No! Even if I want to with her, you know that I can't and I shouldn't! Stop talking about Nana, she will forget about me and I will forget about her too!"

Nana was in Chunji's car, both of them were heading to the Police Station to visit Ljoe but then they saw Jane and Ljoe coming their way.

"Stop the car," Nana's voice was barely a whisper. "It's Byunghun."

Chunji turned to the direction where Nana was looking and also saw them. He obeyed Nana without hesitation and waited for Jane to stop the car. Unfortunately, Jane and Ljoe were too busy arguing that they did not notice them.

"Oh my god, it's really him. Why is he here? I should go out and check," Nana said. When she was about to step out of the car, Chunji grabbed her by the arm, pulling her back to sit.

"Let's wait," Chunji said in a low voice. Nana just stared at him and then back to Ljoe and Jane.

"I said stop the car, Jane!" Ljoe yelled, trying to stop the car by gripping Jane's arm.

Jane ignored him and sped off.

"Enough! Ljoe!" She shouted back. Ljoe really wanted the car to stop but then he saw Nana watching him in disbelief.

"Nana," he called.

Just when Ljoe gave up on Jane's stubborn actions, they found a truck aiming at them. Jane was about to pull on the break but it wasn't working. 

"Oh my God," she muttered. "What do we do?!" Ljoe turned to see the truck coming, then to Nana who was staring at him for a long time and struggling to get away from Chunji's grip.

She reversed the car to pull over at a side, but the car won't stop. Rather, the car's wheels squeaked. It started spinning briskly, Jane tried to control it but it continued spinning down the road. Nana eventually rushed out of the car, terrified as she watched the car spinning down and hitting the ground. 

She ran but tripped. When she raised her head and glance at them, she saw Ljoe bleeding and smiling weakly...She thought she saw him breaking out of the car but then...

The car abruptly exploded into flames.

"No..."

"Byunghun-ah..." She fell to her knees and broke into tears. What she just saw was unexpected... She felt her whole world disappear but before that, she heard the ambulance's siren ring... Then she fainted in Chunji's arm.

* * *

She slowly opened her eyes and found herself in a hospital. Chunji was sitting on a chair beside her, looking miserable. She remembered what happened last night... 

"Chunji-ah, where's Byunghun?" she asked.

"Last night, the police station was burned down," Chunji's voice cracked and he continued without looking at Nana. "Everyone died, including your father. But, Jane escaped Lee Byunghun...That was also last night...When the car exploded..." Chunji paused to wipe his tears. "They're gone, Nana. He's dead." 

Nana felt devastated at that very moment. She was stiffened...Speechless...She shed tears...

Last night, she lost two important people in her life. Her beloved father, Jang Sooman and her lover, Lee Byunghun. She's all alone now...The words she heard Chunji were killing her softly...

* * *

The day on the funeral of Jang Sooman and Lee Byunghun, Nana couldn't stop herself from sobbing and grieving. If only someone saves her from that chaotic moment, when her loved ones left her alone... Nana couldn't imagine living a life without Ljoe... Now that he's gone, what's she going to do? The only thing she has with his memory was the ring he gave her...

JiHae's father came in the funeral of her father. He comforted Nana as he had always been. The man whose daughter was killed by Ljoe. Nana almost forgot about the terrible fact on how his daughter was killed by her beloved lover...

But it was all in the past, right?

"Ajhusshi..." Nana called him, wiping her tears away but still, it kept falling nonstop. Mr. Sung smiled wryly at her, he hugged her to make her feel a little bit comfortable yet it was useless. Sometimes, hugs makes everything feel better...Unfortunately, it's not like that when you lost someone special and all you could do about that is mourn...

"It's okay, sweetie...You'll get over it..."

Get over? How? When? Nana's mind flooded with thoughts and memories with Ljoe.

It was so hard to get over...Even as years passed by.

"Lee Byunghun...Why did you leave me?"

"Please tell me this is just a dream...I don't want to live without you, but why is that every time I try to disappear in this world...Someone stops me? Byunghun-ah... Just let me be with you. Please."

Five years had passed already.

"Lee Byunghun...Come back to me."