Chapter 1

You've Fallen for a Bad Guy

 

Note: The words in italics is the past!

 

 

17 years earlier, a young 15 year old girl gave birth to a baby boy.

As she waited for the nurse to bring her baby to her, she lie on her father's lap whose sitting on her hospital bed beside her.

She remembered how she was dumped by her boyfriend who left her after finding out she had a baby.

"Appa..." she called her father in a weak voice and her father combed his long fingers into his daughter's long hair. "What ...should I name my baby?"

"I don't know..." her father answered in a low voice.

A minute later, the nurse arrived with her baby. The young girl smiled and craddled the baby against her chest. She lay back down into her father's lap and didn't notice her father pouted at her.

She continued to talk to him and ask suggestions about her baby's name and he would just nod. She also wanted to know where her mother was but her father wouldn't tell her. Or... he would just lie.

"Appa..." she called her father again.

"Hmmm?" Her father waited for a question from her daughter but there was no words after that. When he turned to look at his daughter, her eyes were closed. She wasn't breathing. She is dead. 

 

On the day of his day of his daughter's funeral, they saw no tears came out. There wasn't any friends of his daughter either, there was only their family.

It was their tradition that if someone dies from the family no friends or neighbors is allowed to come except to blood related and family.

 

They looked at their grandson who was only born a day ago and they felt no regret that in their thought they will place the baby lying against its mother’s chest.

They watched their daughter’s corpse and the baby on her chest, alive, as they were taken underground inside her coffin. Burying the mother’s corpse, and burying her son alive.

Without regret, they buried the baby alive until its loud whimper disappeared underground.

 

Lee Byung-hun or simply wants to be addressed as LJoe watched his father shooting gun in their backyard. He always idolizes his father. Every move he makes, he always watch. Every people he had killed, he had seen them with his own eyes. And ever since he was taught to watch and do the same, killing had become his hobby. He has done that for maybe 50 times or more.

Day by day, he always waits for his father. Waiting for him to give him his next victim, the next person he will be killing. Sometimes, his father’s reasons why he had to kill that person, was unreasonable. But LJoe  doesn’t care, all he cares about is for him to kill someone, because smelling their blood and being able to see a dying person in front of him always makes him feel stronger. . . braver . . . and perfect. He never feels hungry, every time he kills.

Then one night, his father called him into his office room. He listened to their conversation attentively, he could feel excitement. It was what he has been waiting for.

His father, Tae Suk handed him a brown folder. “This is your next victim.” He told his son with a smirk on his face and LJoe accepted it. Tae Suk watched LJoe as he opened the folder and looked at the picture of his next victim.

“Who is this girl?” LJoe asked his father without looking at him.

“Sung Ji Hae.”

“What’s your reason then?”

“Her father is … a close friend of your father.”

For a moment, LJoe was surprised and was stunned. He turned his wide eyes into his father.

“Your real father, I mean.” Tae Suk added. “Sung Ji Hae’s father is… the former leader of your father and grandparent's family’s tradition. The tradition that if the mother died and the baby is alive, the baby must be buried alive with the mother because there is no way they can take care of the baby unless the mother’s there to feed the baby since they don’t do bottle feed. And Ji Hae’s father was the first leader… I think he started that tradition. Well… not just I think… but he really did.”

LJoe felt anger deep inside but he did not show it. “I can kill his daughter, ok. But after I kill his daughter, can I kill him too?”


“Yes, of course. Do as you wish, LJoe.”

LJoe has started killing when he was 10. It’s the first lesson he had learned completely. He had studied in a school before he was 11 and learned a few things but always forgets them. He suffered hardships when he was very young and was always beaten up for years not after he accomplished his first kill and when he realized all he wanted to be in the present and future was to be a serial killer, he forgets about his studies and practiced more in killing. He likes looking and smelling at blood. Just by smelling them, he wouldn’t feel hungry. That’s what he always thought.

His first kill was killing a boy the same age as his. But that wasn’t a part of his victim. He was mad by that time. He hated that boy, he always bullied him but he couldn’t fight back. But when he realized he had to fight back from neighbor bullies, he decided to kill.

One night, he watched that young boy walking into the hallway. He waited until the young boy reached a place where there was no people to be seen.

And when his waiting has finally ended. He attacked the boy with his knife, stabbing his chest, blood spilled around LJoe’s shirt, face, everything. The walls, the ground, the victim himself.

“Byung-hun… “The boy called his name weakly. His eyes full with fear and shocked. But LJoe didn’t care; the boy’s going to die. No one had seen him. It was success.

“I can kill… I did it…”  LJoe murmured with excitement and gladness. “Father will be so happy!” He pushed the knife harder into the boy’s chest and finally the boy out.

LJoe smirked. “I am a killer… I am murderer… I am like father… I love this feeling…” his voice was husky and his eyes were creepy. His hand had the boy’s blood and the knife was spilled with blood too.

It was the first time ever that LJoe felt stronger.

“Oppa!” a young girl of about age 7 or 8 cried. LJoe turned to the little girl whose eyes were tearing up. Fear in her eyes, she covered with both as tears run down her eyes.  “Oh my god… what did you do to my Oppa?”

When the girl takes step backward, LJoe moved forward. He was about to kill the young girl.

“Don’t kill me…” the young girl pleaded and felt her legs weaken. She stumbled down the ground and looked up at LJoe who was in front of her, smirking at her, a blooded knife at his right hand.

“I will tell the police!” the young girl yelped but L. Joe ignored. “Please don’t… Please… my parents need me…” the young girl pleaded again and when LJoe heard the word ‘parents’, he felt a sudden feeling that he didn’t want. He thought in his mind, why do her parents need her? She should be the one to need her parents…

He watched as the young girl cried and cried, sobbing like baby but not aloud.

LJoe decided to leave the girl.

He left without a word. He left in the hallway.

As he walked alone after washing himself, he remembered the little girl. He can sense that he had met that girl not the first time, but probably the second time. When he was 7… When his father killed a man and a little girl saw them. The girl didn’t shout, she didn’t even cry. Not because she doesn’t know whom his father killed, but because she doesn’t know it was killing.

“Distract that kid,” LJoe’s father suggested.

“What? Why me?”

“Because you’re not doing anything. So, go. I still have something else to do.” His father disappeared in the dark so now there was only LJoe and the little girl there.

The little girl smiled at him and handed him her Pooh doll. “Oppa! Let’s play with Pooh!” She invited LJoe to play with her pooh and for one night, he spent the day with the little girl playing with her in her empty house, and singing a song for her to fall asleep.

Then turned his back on her … Leaving her... Without telling.

It was 10:00 pm at night when LJoe drive in his car to go to the address of Sung Ji Hae.

When he arrived there, he set his gun aside and took out his knife from his knife pocket. He knew that at this time, Ji Hae would be alone in her house. His father had her schedule, and her family’s schedule.

He walked silently for the girl not to notice. He opened a door but no one was there, then another and another. Until it was the last door, when he opened it someone has opened it from inside too. Sung Ji Hae.

“Who are you?” Ji Hae asked in a shocked tone and expression.

LJoe didn’t wait for her to shrieked, but instead he stabbed the girl on her chest, blood dripped from .

Then suddenly, LJoe heard the entrance door opened.

He pulled out the knife from Ji Hae and she fell on the floor, leaning her back on the wall while her hands were on her bleeding chest, blood dripping from . She turned to look at the person who was coming and knew who it was.

“Nana…” she called her friend’s name in a weak dying voice.

LJoe turned his back on them, ready to leave like a ninja; behind him a girl came and saw. Her expression was surprised, with fear she turned to her best friend who was dying, bleeding, and blood on the floor.

She turned to the man who was walking, trying to escape.

“Stop right there!!!” The girl named Nana shouted at LJoe, and he stopped walking. “Stop right there!!!” Her voice was breaking into pieces, and she thought in her mind, ‘This is too much’. She thought for a while what she had to do in a situation like this, but she recalled everything, same thing happened not for the first time and all she did was cry and beg for a killer not to kill her.

But now, she wanted not to be an idiot.

She turned around and saw a baseball bat; it was just what she needed so she took them and hit them at the back of LJoe.

LJoe yelped and glared at Nana.  

“Nana… help…” Nana’s best friend Ji Hae told Nana in a low and weak voice again. “Help…”