Chapter 30

You've Fallen for a Bad Guy

appa-father , omma- mother

 

"Omma, I'm fine," Nana said and pulled out from Seyoung's hug. "Where's Appa?" she asked.

"He's not home, honey," Seyoung replied sadly, "but why did you do that? Why did you hurt yourself?"

Nana turned to Niel and Chunji, giving them a sign to give her time with her mother only so the two of them left Nana with Seyoung.

"Omma," Nana said and looked at Seyoung, "where did appa go?"

"I don't really know, why?" Seyoung asked.

"Oh, nothing. I just think that maybe---"

"I'm sorry honey. If you're afraid he'd do something bad to your friend, Lee Byunghun. It's for the best. That man is an eye-witness and he might tell the police what your father did."

"Father is still wrong, omma. You want to cover his sin?"

Seyoung pinched her cheeks lightly, "stop being stubborn. Do you like that man?"

"Yeah, I do, " she replied, "I don't want appa to do something to him. Just please let him go. Stop him, omma."

Seyoung was speechless. Then she looked away from Nana and turned her back on her.

"Get some rest," she whispered, "would you like to go home tomorrow?"

"Omma, why are you changing the topic?"

"Stop it, Nana! I don't want to listen to it anymore!" Seyoung yelled at her and steered herself out of the room.

L. Joe went back to Niel apartment. He went inside Niel's empty room and decided to go to his room because he was so tired. He went to bed and was thinking about Nana the whole night.

"I can't take it anymore," he whispered to himself, "I'm going to tell her."

Back in the hospital, Niel went to Nana room again. He gave her a photo of L. Joe.

"Here," he said and handed the photo to her.

She held it out from him and smiled the moment she saw L. Joe's face in the photo, "but why are you giving this to me? I never asked you for this."

"I know you'll miss him," Niel said.

"How do you know?"

"I just know."

"Are you really that close with him?"

"Yes. The way we are so close makes me think I like him."

"What?" Nana looked at Niel, distracted.

Niel chuckled and sighed, "I'm kidding."

"Oh," Nana sighed in relief and looked at L. Joe's picture again.

"But how am I going to forget him this way? I can always see his face. Niel, you are such a distraction." Nana said.

"Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself. He doesn't want you to forget him either. He's only until words. You know what I mean right?"

"No," she replied and looked at Niel. "What does that mean?"

"Go to sleep, you absolutely need to rest," Niel said with a silent giggle, "I don't want L. Joe to scold me." Then he went away and Chunji peeked in. 

"I'm going to be guarding here outside," he said, "get some sleep or you'll get puffy eyes." He smiled and then closed the door.

She smiled. While lying down her bed, she was also looking at L. Joe's picture and then slowly, her eyes closed and she fell asleep soundly.

The next morning, L. Joe prepared to visit you in the hospital.

"What are you going to do there?" Niel asked, "You missed her didn't you?"

"Yes," L. Joe replied, "and I'm going to confess to her today."

"Whoa!" Niel exclaimed, "I knew you'd give in!"

L. Joe just smirked.

Meanwhile, Nana already woke up and Sooman was there watching her the whole time.

"You're awake," Sooman said in a thin whisper when Nana woke up.

"Appa," she said.

"Why do you have this?" Sooman showed L. Joe's picture. Nana was stunned. "I'm asking you, why?!" he asked again, "do you like him?" 

Nana looked away, "I--- I---I, I like him..." she replied stuttering.

"You shouldn't be." Sooman said in a low voice then Nana stared at him in confusion.

"Because he is your enemy? Because he saw you killed his father?" Nana asked fiercedly.

"Because he killed your older brother." Sooman answered.