Chapter 20

You've Fallen for a Bad Guy

 

L. Joe widens his eyes. He wanted to say something but he couldn't find the words. He just turned his back on Nana and said in a low voice, "In the future, let's not meet again." Nana's eyes widen in surprise, she couldn't believe he said that. "You must forget about me and I will forget about you. Let's pretend that we don't know each other." Although L. Joe didn't want to say it, he should. 

He took a step forward, ready to walk away but then Nana leaned forward and back hugs him. Tears rolled down their eyes at the same time. 

"Why? Why?" Nana asked and her voice cracked uncontrollably.

"I don't deserve you. I will never deserve you because I'm a killer. We have different worlds. Different personalities. Different roles in this world. And I will never deserve you because your parents are my enemies. That'll never change." L. Joe replied seriously. "So, just let me go." He added and turned around so that Nana would stop hugging him. "Let's pretend we don't know each other." He said again and walked away fast. 

Nana stumbled and fell on the ground. She cried so hard like her world collapsed, like she'd been torn apart, ripped apart and drowning in her own tears. Her heart was trembling, she cried nonstop because the hurt wouldn't stop for a moment at that night. 

Chunji was there. The love letter that he's supposed to give to Nana, revealing that he is her admirer, he dropped it on the ground. 

He saw what happened, he heard them. He heard the fact that Nana likes L. Joe, and the fact that he is a killer. 

Anger and sadness surged him as his hand turned into fist. He wished that he never saw it, that he never knew Nana likes L. Joe that he never saw Nana crying over a guy like L. Joe. 

He walked slowly and closer behind Nana. He cleared his throat to avoid his voice from cracking, then he called her, "Nana-shi..." 

Nana turned around and tilted her head to look at Chunji. "Chunji-ah..." she called his name, surprised. She gasp for air and sobbed some more. Chunji didn't want to hear it, but he tried his best to stare at her but felt an icy gripped in his heart. 

"Why?" He asked. "Why him?" He couldn't control himself, he cried. "Why does it have to be him?" 

"Chunji-ah..." Nana said and slowly gets on her feet again. "Why are you here?" 

"Answer me first!!!" He yelled at her, his nostrils flaring and eyes flashing and closing into slits. He crouched forward and dared her to answer him truthfully. "Why does it have to be him? Why can't it be, Nana-shi?" He asked sadly. "Why him of all people? You knew he's a killer, a murderer... But you still like him? For what? What's with him? Why him?" 

"Chunji-ah... Please stop this. You don't understand any of it ---" Chunji cut in. 

"I'm right here, Jang Nana! Why him, why not me? Why can't you notice me even once?! I love you! But.... But why him?" He said with his eyes leaked with pain.

Nana froze in disbelief.