Chapter 17

You've Fallen for a Bad Guy

L. Joe pulled out a blanket from his bag and used it to wipe the blood away from his hand. He watched Nana sleeping uncomfortably as she was sleep talking “It hurts, it hurts…” she says. L. Joe was guilty for leaving her there with her sprained ankle. He wanted to help her but he thought for a while.

It’s better this way. Watch her die then I have nothing to worry about.

“My ankle hurts… Help me…” Nana sleep talked. Sweat falling from her forehead. “I think I’m going to die…”

“Why do always ask me to do something for you?” L. Joe asked in a whisper. “Is it going to be my fault if you die?” He balled his fist and turned his back at Nana.

“Lee Byung Hun…” She called his name.

He pitied her. He worries about her and he wants to help her, save her. No matter what the cost.

He turned around and walked towards her. He carried her in his arms to bring her back to the camp.

She cradled in his arms as she lay dying because of the first ankle pain she ever experienced.

They arrived back later; the others were running around searching for Nana and L. Joe. Chunji saw them first, the feeling of jealousy in his heart. He ran to them and carried Nana after L. Joe. She was still asleep.

“What happened?” Chunji asked L. Joe curiously.

“She accidentally tripped and fell.” L. Joe replied.

“Where have you two been? You and her have been gone since morning, what happened?!”

“That… It’s a long story.”

“Never mind.” Chunji sighed. “I’ll just ask her.” When he was about to leave with Nana, he stopped when he noticed L. Joe hand covered with a blanket and stained with blood. “That ---“L. Joe cut in.

“I accidentally cut it.” He said and bowed resignedly then went away heading to the bus.

Chunji remained staring at his hand and wondered if what he had said was true.

Nana was taken to the hospital. She stayed there for a day with Chunji taking care of her. Her father didn’t have the time to visit her, saying it was because he’s busy working with her mother in their new company. Nana had always been disappointed of her parents not taking care of her, leaving her behind, making her look like an orphaned child.

Nana sighed and hugged her hospital pillow, “I hate them.”

“Don’t worry. I’m sure when you come back; they will have surprise welcome party for you.” Chunji said.

“I don’t like parties. All I want is for them to visit me, even just for half an hour. Is it so hard for them?” She sighed again, her eyebrows meeting. Then she remembered L. Joe, her angry expression faded. “But he didn’t come here to visit me…” she whispered and didn’t realize Chunji heard her.

“Who?” Chunji asked. “Is there someone else you’re expecting other than your Appa?”

“Ahm,” Nana looked at Chunji. “I’m talking about Appa.” She lied.

The next day after staying for a day in the hospital, Nana decided to discharge herself from the hospital while Chunji’s still in School.

She prepared her things to leave the hospital and go back home. She paid the nurse the amount needed, it was the money her father sent for her for the hospital bills.

On her way home, she suddenly stopped when she saw L. Joe around 5 guys. She was surprise to see him and at the same time, she was happy. Unfortunately, it looked like L. Joe was being bullied by C.A.P., Changjo and 3 other men.  Nana’s smile faded.

“Your father had said that if you can’t finish this mission, you might as well give it to us. We can finish it anytime.” C.A.P. said.

“Just let us do it, Hyung.” Changjo added. “You don’t have to be around that person anymore. Just let us.”

“No.” L. Joe responded. C.A.P. gave one of his men a sign to attack L. Joe. The man kicked L. Joe’s leg and he fell on the ground.  He almost growled.

“Your father ordered us to beat you up if you don’t listen,” C.A.P. began, “Or just shoot you, to make it faster.”

Nana heard and hurriedly ran to them to block them from finishing L. Joe off.

“No!” Nana yelled at them. “Don’t hurt him!”

C.A.P. smirked and was ready to pull out his gun and shoot it at Nana. L. Joe stood up and held a grip of Nana’s arm; he forced her to look at him.

As he stared straight into her eyes, the look in his eyes was full of fear. He unraveled his own grip from her. He allegedly called her “Stupid” and slapped her in the face.

 Nana was shocked as she touched her left cheek where L. Joe slapped her. She looked at him with wide eyes and asked in a breaking voice, “Byung-hun-ah… Why did you?”

“Who are you to care about others problems?!” L. Joe shouted at Nana. "Just leave me alone! I don't ever want to see you!!!"