Chapter 19

You've Fallen for a Bad Guy

 

L. Joe rushed inside his father's house only to find out that Nana's father and his father were only playing with gun and shooting a big tree. Sooman and his real father stared at him, confused. 

"Who are you?" His father asked. 

Sooman chuckled. "Young man, did you think someone killed someone? Don't worry. Mr. Cho and I were just practicing." He said. 

"Oh," was all L. Joe could say because he was humiliated by his sudden action. "I'm sorry to disturb you. I just thought something happened..." He said and bowed his head. 

"Are you still lost young man?" His father asked worriedly. "You said earlier that you thought this is the place you're looking for. Still didn't find it?" 

"No," L. Joe replied. "I already did. Then... I will get going. Please be careful with the gun." He said and went away. 

He felt relieved that nothing bad actually happened. He went to the carnival to watch people playing and enjoying the day. He thought about his night together with Nana in the carnival before. He recalled the memories with her and he gave himself a warm smile. 

He eventually called Nana on phone. 

"L. Joe?" Nana asked on phone. "Is that you?" 

"Yes, it's me." L. Joe responded. "Let's meet in the carnival by 6 p.m." He said. "I have something to tell you." Then he hung up the phone and went near the river that can be seen inside the carnival. 

Meanwhile, Nana who's in her house, hurried and get dressed to meet L. Joe. She was nervous about what he's going to tell her but she wished that it's going to be good thing that he's not going to hurt her. 

When she finished preparing herself, she immediately went to the carnival and searched for L. Joe. She found him standing near the river; she walked slowly towards him and stood beside him in silence. 

"Why did you want to meet?" Nana asked. "I really thought you're not showing up anymore." 

"I'm sorry." He said. 

Nana looked at him but didn't say anything. 

L. Joe looked at her too, with a smile on his face. A smile that she couldn't describe, he might be sad but he's happy at the same time. 

"Does it still hurt?" L. Joe asked her. 

"It doesn't." Nana replied then L. Joe looked away from her. He sighed in relief. 

"That's a relief." He said. 

"Something else hurts." She added. 

"Huh?" L. Joe looked at her again. "What is it?" 

"My heart hurts..." She blurted out in a wobbly voice. 

L. Joe stared at Nana wide-eyed. His expression looked like he saw a ghost, his face goes slack. He tried to say something but he couldn't find the right words. He just stared straight into her eyes, and his heart trembling.

"I know I shouldn't be because you are a bad guy, a killer, a murderer," Nana said, "but I like you so much."