Dungeon Break

The Rogue's Dark Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This was why she had felt odd this evening.

It was inevitable. She expected to see her family again, but just not this soon. She wasn’t ready, but how could she ever be? Once they found out she willing joined the Rogues, they wouldn’t be vibrating with happiness.

Insu entered the gates of the Palace with the guard’s permission. Yoon felt her heart stutter with anxiety. The only reason she agreed to follow Insu was so she would have access into the Palace without overt chaos stirring in the courtyard. So far, Insu had treated her kindly, and he even asked politely if he could handcuff her. She knew he feared that she might escape, but she assured him that she wouldn’t go anywhere. Insu trusted her, and simply led her to his dark Sedan parked at the curb under a flickering streetlight.

It would’ve been easier to make the trek in their wolf forms, but it was obvious why they avoided such. She was still stunned that he hadn’t run back to his father to rat her out but maybe he wanted the praise of finding the lost Princess, so she didn’t trust him one bit.  

Throughout the ride, neither spoke. It felt like de-ja vu. First, it was Taemin who tried to yank her back to her former life, and now it was his son. The only difference, Insu was no doubt better company than a grumbling Taemin.

However, during the silence, Yoon couldn’t help but think this was it. She was going to see her family again. She’d see her parents, and Mina. Most importantly, she was going to see Kai. That last thought twisted her gut. Although she saw him earlier in the day, she wasn’t sure how he was going to react to her sudden appearance.

She needed to see him before it was late though. Her vision kept mocking her, and she always forced her brain to avert the frightening images- to lock it away where she wouldn’t be able to pry the distorted images herself. She chewed her lips until she tasted the iron tinge of her blood. Her wolf could feel her uneasiness, and it made matters worse.

“-You okay there?” Insu opened her door.

“Umm yeah.” She quickly shifted outside. Insu closed the door behind her and she waited as he made sure he locked the doors. Then, he quietly led her to the elevators that would lead to her family on the higher levels of the Palace.

Insu patiently waited for her at the entrance of the elevators while she tried to piece her confidence together. What was she supposed to say to her family when she couldn’t bear to look at them in the eye? She was a traitor, but the village she’d seen burnt to ashes still engraved heavily in her conscious. She couldn’t forget how desolate it appeared with the Royal flags fluttering obnoxiously amidst the ashes.

Those ashes were the remnants of Jaesun’s home.  

Inside the elevator, she spent the short time fighting the butterflies in her belly. She couldn’t stop shifting around or fidgeting with the loose string hanging from her sleeve. In her peripheral, she could see Insu raising his brow at her awkward shuffling. She’d probably pace a hole in the elevator if the shiny, metal door hadn’t opened up then.

Insu beckoned her outside, and she followed almost timidly. She glanced both ways, but not a single person roamed the empty room. This concerned her. There should’ve atleast been guards checking the premises every ten minutes. She peaked questionably at Insu, “Where is everyone?”

“You’ll find out sooner or later.” He replied, leading Yoon out the doors.

He walked ahead of her, but made sure his longs legs kept a nice, steady pace so she’d be able to catch up with ease. He was thoughtful which seemed weird considering he was Taemin’s spawn. The man was scary and unapproachable, especially when he made an effort of enhancing his harsh features with a callous scowl. It didn’t help that everyone knew that Taemin was notorious for his previous allegiance with the coyotes. She couldn’t understand why in the world her father would let him in the Palace.

The corridors were the same as she recalled with the ancient upholstery that hardly seemed appealing, and the markings of familiar symbols. Insu quietly led her to another pair of looming doors, and soon she found herself standing in front of the very doors which led to the Throne Room.

“There’s no one in there.” Yoon slid her gaze towards Insu.

Insu shrugged, “They don’t know you’re here yet.”

“Yet?”

“I’ll have to inform them soon.” He said slowly, studying her tense expression.

“Why haven’t you already?” She eyed him suspiciously.

“I just want you prepared before anyone else sees you. Look, a couple of hours ago something happened. They know you’re alive. Tao mentioned that he had sighted a white wolf on campus, and obviously it was you considering you’re the only known other white wolf in existence. No one knows why the idiot only decides now to reveal something big like that but he’s Tao. A pabo. You know how Tao is like.”

Yoon swallowed the lump that formed in . They knew she was alive.

“So they know I’m with the Rogues?”

The easy-going nature that surrounded Insu vanished quickly as his lips flattened in dismay. “Oh everyone that matters knows. We just didn’t expect Kai to know of your existence, and hiding it. Your father fought with him you know.”

Yoon placed her palms on the cold door to stop her from stumbling on her feet. “W-What?”

From her peripheral, she caught Insu leaning against the wall as he crossed his arms over his chest. The look in his eyes was murderous when they continued to cut a glare in her direction. “It was a mess.”

“Where’s Kai?” She asked.

“In his room healing. Your father crushed his knees.”

Yoon was going to be sick. She peeled herself from the door, and hid her clenched fists in the pockets of her blazer.

“I think you’re more trouble than your worth.” Insu continued, holding her gaze steadily. He wasn’t trying to condescending, but only unmercifully truthful. She didn’t know what was worse. “Everyone in this Palace has been searching for you Yoon. You weren’t here to see how your parents suffered every day, and loose that hope to see their precious daughter again every time their soldiers came back empty-handed. Your own sister lost sleep over you. She hardly comes out of her room, unless she’s going to school. She’s good at pretending to happy you know and that’s something I can’t forgive you for. She deserves to be happy when she is happy. I don’t like that she’s constantly trying to hide what she feels.”

Yoon wasn’t blind to the fierce love that shone in his eyes, “You’re mated?” She asked gently.

“, I wish.” He sighed, combing his fingers through his hair. Suddenly, he appeared older than his young years. He rubbed his temples, and schooled his features into a neutral one. “That’s not the only thing I won’t forgive you for. You ruined his life too.”

Yoon knew who he was talking about. She dipped her head, so she couldn’t see the sharp disgust exuding from his stern features. “I didn’t know what he was to me when I left. I didn’t realise how important he would become to me.”

Insu released a bitter laugh, one that made a cold chill roll down her spine. “You didn’t just ruin his life. You wore him down Yoon. He suffered more than your parents when it came to your disappearance. He actually cried that day you know. The day when the Rogues came, and we found out you were taken. Yeah I was young, but you should’ve seen him. He ing cried and then after that he just pretended to be alright.”

Guilt, heavy and all-consuming weighed down on her feelings. She couldn’t picture her strong Kai being rendered into tears because of her. She didn’t deserve him, and she wonder

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter