Mask Comes Off, Tiara Comes On

The Rogue's Dark Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They sensed the danger first, before the warning bells echoed through the sleeping forest.

Kai and D.O exchanged grim looks. Something was happening back at the Palace and they could feel their inner beasts straining to go see what was wrong with their Kingdom.

“We have to morph. Sehun’s probably assembling the Pack already.” D.O stared into the heavy darkness leading to the Palace. The path was murky, and the stars fell behind the dark blanket of the night sky as if in trepidaton.

Kai nodded, and transferred his attention to Jaesun who looked distracted by his palms. He hadn’t spoken since his little verbal lashing, but other than that he trudged after them, willingly. Well, D.O handcuffed him. At first, he tried to escape the metal bonds while throwing a bunch of strangled curses, but after a while, he just stopped altogether and pressed his lips together resolutely, resembling a disobedient child.

To a degree, Kai could understand why he and Yoon were friends. They both carried a strong defiance to authority. The musing made his lips curl into a discreet smile.

“You’re going to follow us quickly, if not, I have no problem dragging you through the mud by your hair.” Kai stared impassively at the scowling teen.

Jaesun huffed, “Yeah, yeah. I got it.” He waved both his hands airily, although he looked ridiculous with both his wrists wrapped in the metal manacles.

“Watch your mouth boy; you’re speaking to a Beta.” D.O warned with a gruff growl.

“I’m Rogue. I don’t care if you’re a Beta or Buddha. I still won’t care, even if you out gold from your .”

“Mmm, I think you’ll look rather good in the dungeons. Don’t you think Kai? He’ll compliment the dismembered limbs still hanging from the chains.”

“You’re not taking me into those dungeons. I won’t let you.” Jaesun protested, fumbling with the heavy handcuffs biting into his skin.

“Yeah, just like you said I wouldn’t be able to handcuff you.” D.O pointedly glanced down at the handcuffs holding his wrists together with a knowing smirk.

Jaesun flushed red, but kept a snarl on his face. “You just wait. The Rogues are on their way.”

“We need to go now.” Kai interrupted D.O from adding another nasty response. D.O shot him an irritated scowl but acquiesced after glaring at the kid. Before they left, Kai turned his attention on Jaesun one last time. The skin beneath his eyes was still swollen pink, and his eyes were still glistening with moisture. For some reason, he worried about him and he felt guilty using him as bait to lure in Yoon. However, he had to bring her back home. 

Everything needed to end.

The search for Yoon needed to end.

Sehun’s pain needed to end.

And Yoon’s stance with the Rogues needed to come to an end- a finale.

“Are you really her mate?” The low mutter gravitated Kai’s focus. He angled his head so he could see the dour teen as well as their surroundings without being too obvious with his stern examination. He didn’t provide a reply, but just studied him with open curiosity. He stood directly under a slant of moonlight so he had a vivid view of the distaste dripping from his features. It wasn’t difficult for Kai to conclude that Yoon’s little friend loathed every fibre of his existence. He wouldn’t be surprised if he leapt at him with a knife once his cuffs were unlocked. He'll just make sure he wasn't in the same room when the time came.

“Huh, so you don’t deny it.” Jaesun muttered bitterly.

“Nor did I agree to it.”

“So you’re not her mate.”

“I didn’t say that either.”

“Are you ting me right now?” Jaesun rolled his eyes, exasperated. “It was one easy question. Are you her mate, yes or no?”

Kai arched a bored brow, but kept his gaze completely steady on him. “Yoon is mine. Yes, we are mates but I don’t see why you need to know.”

Jaesun pushed pass D.O so he could glare at him face-to-face. His confirmation only hit him hard into reality. “It damn right concerns me. I’ve taken care of her for the last nine years! If anything, everything relating to her concerns me. I don’t care if you claim to be her mate. I’ve known her longer, and I have kept her safe and away from that group of people you call friends and family. Yoon knows about what your friends and families did to my village. She saw the aftermath. She knows exactly what kind of monster you are, so I don’t doubt for a second she would leave your without looking back.  She did it once without looking back, so doing it a second time wouldn’t be that hard.”

Kai knew he shouldn't take his words to heart, but someone might as well have stabbed him in the chest with a steaming blade the way each words twisted at his emotions.

Hot, furious rage heated his blood, growing hotter and wild just seductively beneath his skin.

Calm the emotions Kai. Keep them under control. Don’t let him goad your wolf.

“Yoon deserves better.”

Calm. Easy breaths. Inhale. Exhale.

“She needs someone who doesn’t slaughter innocent people.”

Inhale. -ing. Exhale-

“She’ll never love you.”

One second they were glaring at each under, and the next, he had the poor little er slammed roughly under his body. Instead of being terrified out of his wits, he just lifted his chin in a stance of defiance. His young cherub face reminded him of someone familiar, but he didn’t let the thought sway him from wanting to set him straight. He clumped a fistful of his collar, and pulled him close so there would be no misunderstanding in his own words. “Listen well Jaesun.” He started.

“I’m listening .” He gritted back.

“I don’t just claim Yoon to be my mate, she is my mate. Ever since my wolf recognised her as my mate, my eyes only were for her. Always. I don’t need someone telling me I don’t deserve her, because I know I don’t. People don’t easily love me, but those who do, they’re irreplaceable. Those people you’re spitting down at, they deserve your respect-“

“They deserve ! My home is gone because of them!”

“What are you talking about?”

“My home! It’s gone because of you s. The Blue Moon Pack no longer exists; she is dead because of it.” Jaesun cried out, thrashing wildly.

D.O who had been silent until now stepped closer, “Umm, not to be rude or anything but the Palace warning bells are ringing Kai. We need to go.”

Kai sighed into the night. A cool puff of smoke seeped from his lips. He allowed his wolf to surface, although the task was slightly difficult. It had been getting harder with each morphing. He didn’t risk a glance back to see the glistening wetness against the boy’s cheeks. D.O also transformed, and using his jaw, clamped at the chain wrapped around Jaesun’s wrists and yanked him onto his beast. Jaesun silently went along, but grabbed into D.O’s fur as they both dashed into the night and towards the shrill ringing bells emitting from the Palace.

 

 

Yoon kept to the shadows, holding Hana closer to her body. The trembling began from the very tip of her fingers, and spiralled down to her toes. Her brain struggled to accept that her appa was right there, just beyond the door-frame blocked by the bowing guards. He was so close, he probably could hear her heart wreaing havoc against her ribcage.

“Have you checked the prisoners?” Sehun asked.

“N-Not yet Your Majesty.” The guards stuttered meekly.

“Men, do you not hear the bells? There’s danger around. Your first duty when those bells chime is to check the dungeons and see if any prisoners have tried to escape.”

“O-Of course, but we were distracted.” The bulkier guard responded. “There’s someone in the dungeons Your Majesty.” He added with a quieter tone filled with hesitance.

Yoon stiffened, hoping the shadows clung onto her and masked her from open sight. She didn’t want to see him right now, when she was obviously a Rogue. She was stained with their recognisable stench. She remembered how he warned both Mina and her to stay clear of Rogues when they had been younger, and look what happened. She’d become one- an enemy to the Throne. He’d be disgusted, especially since she was trying to sneak off with a prisoner in her hands, no less a Rogue. She wasn't sure if she was ashamed of her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter