Bit By Bit

The Rogue's Dark Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai entered the kitchen to see that it was completely vacant. He preferred it that way so he wouldn’t talk to anyone, especially now when his emotions were barely intact. He didn’t like that the strong hold of his emotions was slowly splintering. He could recall the look of loathing potent in his mate’s eyes, and the vitriolic words that had stabbed him more than actions would. He too felt regret for throwing his words around, knowing it’s malice could hurt her.

“What am I doing?” He whispered to himself helplessly.

He swung the door of the steel fridge open, and grabbed a tray from the counter. He stacked it with a few buns, a generous amount of chicken with vegetables, and a glass each of juice and water. He caught sight of a small square of chocolate sitting at the corner of the cupboard, and also added it to the tray. He was pleased with the amount of food, and began his journey back to his headquarters.

Each step he took felt heavy.

He knew that she’d be gone. He basically had given enough time for her to just leave through his window again. He stopped in front of the door, and exhaled a long sigh. He could feel his heart palpating frantically, and the nerves multiplying. He knew there was a high possibility that his mate would be gone.

Preparing himself for heart-break, he briskly opened his door.

Empty.

His lips formed a bitter smirk. Of course it would be empty.

He strode in nonetheless and gruffly placed the full tray on the table. Her intoxicating scent still hung in the air, and idiotically, his heart perpetually flipped for her. He rubbed his hand over his chest, to where his heart was shivering. It was in a brittle state, and it had been a long time since he had been ebullient. He hoped that his mate would uplift his spirits, but it only worsened his state.

He should’ve stayed away, but he couldn’t. They were mates. He couldn’t just walk away, like she did. The whole ordeal between the two had exacerbated within meeting each other. He couldn’t believe that he had already fallen for her, like he had when she was younger. He thought the feelings of his love had disintegrated, but it remained there, just waiting to be triggered by her presence.

“You’re here.”

Kai’s heart stopped beating.

How could he be hearing Yoon’s voice? Didn’t she leave?

He slowly turned around, to see that it was indeed Yoon. She just came out from the bathroom, appearing aloof and feisty as usual. She strutted pass him, and took the tray from the table. “Thank you Kai.” She gave him a slight smile, before she settled on the floor and began to eat the food he’d gotten.

Kai still had his eyes locked on her. Disbelief and fervour filled his soul from her unexpected presence. He didn’t know he was sporting a silly grin until he’d caught a glimpse of his reflection on the mirror dangling on the wall. He shook his head, and cleared his throat. “What are you doing here?” He asked breathlessly, watching her eat aptly. She wiped her fingers on her side, and tilted her head up to catch his gaze. “Didn’t you tell me to stay?”

Kai’s next words died in his throat.

She had listened to him.

A strange feeling erupted within him, and the silly grin he had worn previously conjured again but his sharp tongue had ruined the moment. “I didn’t know you adhered to any commands.”

The slight bittern

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter