Premonition

The Rogue's Dark Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Once Yoon finished cleaning the classroom,  the last of the afternoon glow dimmed into a deep gold. She hastily packed up the mop, broom, and used washing cloths and packed them into the storage room. Outside, she dumped the two full garbage bags into the bin, scrunching her nose when the rancid smell of trash burned her nostrils. She dusted her palms, and smeared some hand sanitiser onto her hands to disperse of the dirty feeling on her skin.

On her way to the Rogue's hideout, she passed The Underground Ring. The sunset disappeared behind the building, and that same uncanny feeling wove over her again. The last time she was here, Taemin had taken her away and the time before that, she bumped into Kris whom she hadn't seen since then. The memory should've been enough for her to clearly stay away from the building, but she found her converse-clad feet inching closer to the entrance. She stopped just in the frame-way, absorbing in the tenebrous surroundings.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk, little girls shouldn't be wondering around here."

"Xipil." She sought him out from the corner of her eye.

He silently moved around her and leaned against the door-frame. "How'd you know it was me?"

"I have a thing for sensing s."

"Hmmmm, your radar must be broken."

"Nope." Yoon cocked her head to the side, sending him a dry look. "I'm staring at one right now."

Instead of being irked off, he actually smirked in her direction, "You should know that I'm not ist in any way. Meaning, I'd hit a chick without reservation if I have to."

"That's cool. I'm not ist either. I'll kick your balls in if you get in my way."

"I'd like to see you try."

"Stop trying to provoke me." Yoon muttered into the dark, distracted. She ignored the warning signals prickling at her senses, and moved into the corridor which opened up into the arena. Not many people occupied the surrounding seats, only a few stall sellers and misfit teens. On the ring, two bulky fighters were sparring. On the outside of the ring, she spotted Taemin watching the fight with unusual intensity. It was strange he wasn't in the Ring, but outside.

"You know, he used be in allegiance with the coyotes." Xipil nodded his head towards Taemin's direction.

"Are you following me?" Yoon snapped, making sure her voice wasn't loud enough for any surrounding occupants to hear.

"Never." Xipil replied as he moved away and sat on one of the seats closer to the shadows.

Yoon ignored him after that. Despite Xipil's sudden appearance, she wanted to know why she felt the need to enter the dank building. She should've walked the other way, especially when Xipil had appeared. Something wasn't right. She could feel it. Yoon descended down the stairs leading to the ring. Taemin was now on the opposite side, speaking with the bruised fighter in the ring. She paused mid-step as a familiar figure appeared from the dark stairs. It was Insu. His expression was stoic and his dark eyes flat as he approached his dad.

Taemin stopped talking, and angled his head to the side just in time to catch his son. "Insu."

"Did you know who the prisoner is?" Insu asked, stepping beside his father.

Yoon subtly moved into aisle seat, keeping her ears alert.

"It doesn't matter son. The prisoner is a Rogue."

"But she's a woman. Shouldn't we disallow the guards from whipping her? I was just at the prison dad. You should've seen her dad. Her face was all bloodied, even her eyes bled. Shouldn't we stop them from hurting her?"

Taemin shook his head, and gave his son a small crooked smile. "Son, They're Rogues. Who cares what happens to them? They belong on the soles of our feet. They're dangerous, and be careful where you incite these type of questions. You don't know whose listening." Taemin made a point of assessing the room with hawke-like vision. He leaned closer to his son, and said in a quieter tone, "Someone might stamp you as a traitor if you start worrying about a Rogue's well-being."

"But appa-"

"No. I don't want you near danger Insu. Besides your mother, you're the only one who'll I'll betray the King for. Understand? Don't meddle with things that aren't of your business." Taemin affectionately ruffled his son's hair. Insu was sure he caught moisture in his dad's eye, but he didn't comment on it. Instead, Insu simply relished the rare display of affection from his dad. He knew this moment was difficult for his father.

Yoon could see that Taemin truly cared for his son. The protective glint in his eye naturally made people repel against him.

Her phone vibrated in the pocket of her jacket, cutting off her musings. On the screen, Jaesun’s name flashed brightly. She warily glimpsed at the message.

Come home now. S.O.S.

Yoon gulped, and quickly tucked her device into her jacket. She silently moved to the stairs which led to the entrance of the arena. She scanned her surroundings as she blended into the shadows. From her peripheral vision, she could see Xipil sitting in the same seat. It was peculiar that he hadn’t noticed her disappearance. He kept his stern gaze locked in front of him, right where Insu and Taemin stood.

When she made it outside, night reigned. Not a single star blinked in the abysmal sky. The moon was obscured by wispy dark clouds that refused to move. No cicadas were out to sing either. A bad premonition rushed down the length of her spine, and curdled thickly into the pit of her stomach.

Her vision blurred for what felt like a long time, but only lasted a split-second. Yet, in that single split-second, she saw tonight’s events unfurl in her mind. When the last image of her vision scattered into broken pieces, Yoon stumbled, barely catching her balance before she fell into a rose-bush. She didn’t realise she stopped breathing until her lungs burned hot in protest.

 She gasped, and in some air.

“No, no, no.” Yoon whispered to herself, shaking her head. Her sight distorted with unshed tears b in her eyes.

She didn’t want to believe what she witnessed, but it was impossible. She knew she couldn’t ignore this vision. She knew it was real, just like the vision she beheld before the Rogues attacked the palace 9 years ago. Back then, the vision had been more detailed with colour and distinct images but this vision had been oddly vague but still informative in the black and white montage.

A shrill squawk of a bird snapped her limbs into motion. At that moment, her mind and body di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter