Not Enough Words (Tao x Yoona)

Perfect Harmony One Shot Request Shop Archives
 
Writer:  SoshiLove123
Genre:  romance, fluff
Requestor:  Pegase2311
Pairing:  Tao x Yoona
Credit:  < a tori creation >
 
Not Enough Words

There were not enough words in Tao’s vocabulary to describe Yoona, not enough words to describe how his stomach fluttered when their eyes met, not enough words to describe the electricity that surged through his veins whenever they almost touched.

But he’s almost certain that Yoona never has and never will feel the same way.

“Honestly, Mr. Cho just has it out for me. He just doesn’t like me and even though-“

Tao’s eyes flicker from Lay’s face to Yoona as she walks through the bustling lunch hall. He smiles a little, watching the way in which she greets her friends. He’d known Yoona a long time, but never had his feelings been aired to anyone other than his best friend.

“I’m so totally going to fail-…Tao? Tao…are you even listening?” Lay clicks his fingers in front of Tao’s face, pulling the taller boy out of his daze.

“Sorry, I was just-“

“What were you even looking at?” Lay questions, his face scrunching as he turns to look back over his shoulder. When his eyes meet Tao’s again, he gives an all-knowing smile. “I should’ve known.”

“Should’ve known what?”

“That it was Yoona that you were ogling-“

“I was not ogling-“

“Yeah, you were. Stop denying it.”

“Shut up.” Tao huffs. “I wasn’t ogling, I was just-“

“Staring?”

“No. I was looking at the clock.”

Lay tilts his head to the right and gives Tao a skeptical look. Tao recedes under the older boy’s gaze.

“Okay, fine. I was looking at Yoona.” He mutters, his cheeks flushing a little.

“I don’t get it.” Lay sighs, leaning his head into his palm. “You’ve known for her a while, you guys get along. You should just ask her out.”

“Easy for you to say. You’re already in a relationship with ‘the most perfect-beautiful girl ever’.” Tao imitates mockingly.

Lay is unfazed by the mimicry and continues poking at the subject. “It’s true, Krystal is the best girlfriend ever. And you could have an awesome girlfriend too if you manned up a little. What are you afraid of?”

“Me and her and been friends for years, and it could be weird and…Have you not seen Yoona?” Tao gestures with a rough jerk of his neck. “She looks like she just fell off a Victoria Secret catwalk. And I’m just…I’m…”

“A nice, kind, talented guy, who deserves a girl like Yoona.” Lay finishes with an encouraging smile. “Don’t worry, I’ll help you out.”

 

* * *

 

The first time Lay ever set eyes on Krystal, she had her hair tied back in a high ponytail, wearing black leggings and a grey tank top, and he was simply so drawn to the angle of her cheek bones, and the way in which her body moved as she walked.

He fell into infatuation with her when he first saw her dance, and that infatuation spiraled into love, and that love grew and blossomed like a flower did in spring.

“What’re you doing here?” Krystal asks with a smile, closing her bedroom door.

Lay’s visit had been unexpected.

Lay shrugs and pulls the girl into his arms. “Am I not allowed to come and see my girlfriend?”

“Of course you can.” Krystal moves back, intertwining her slim fingers through his gently. “It was just a little unexpected.” Krystal tugs him toward the bed where they flop down onto the mattress gracelessly.

Lay smiles softly as Krystal rests her head on his heart, the rhythm against her ear and her warmth against his body. They fall quiet for a moment; their legs tangled as Lay stares up at the ceiling, watching Krystal’s dreamcatcher spin slowly in the breeze drifting in from the open window.

“How was dance practice?” Krystal asks, drawing aimless circles on his chest.

“It was okay,” He replies.

“Okay?” Krystal lifts her head. “When is dance practice ever just ‘okay’ for you? You love dance practice.”

Lay remains quiet under Krystal’s concerned gaze, wondering whether or not he should tell her about Tao’s secret crush.

“What’s on your mind?” She questions, her eyebrows drawing together.

Lay sighs and sits up, his mind made. Krystal shifts to face him.

“It’s Tao.” He states, reaching and taking Krystal’s hand into his own, her palm comforting against his.

“What’s wrong with Tao?”

“He’ll probably be mad at me for telling you, but…He has a huge crush on Yoona.”

Krystal exhales in relief. “Well, who doesn’t?” She’s says, a little amused. “I thought it was serious.”

“It is serious. Tao doesn’t think he has any chance with her, but I know he does. He just doesn’t see how great of a person he is.”

“Haven’t they known each other since they were kids?”

Lay nods, sighing once more. “Since they were like eight years old, or something.” Silences ensues for a few seconds, before an idea strikes him. “You’re friends with Yoona, aren’t you? Do you think you could ask her?”

Krystal smiles, small and understated. “I am, I can and I will.” She leans over and plants a lingering kiss on his cheek.

“What was that for?” He asks, looking up, fighting back a grin.

“It’s cute how much you care about your friends. But don’t worry about Tao, I have just the perfect plan.”

 

* * *

 

“You told Krystal!”

“Oh my god, Tao, shut up. We’re in a library!”

The librarian shot them a deadly look, holding her fingers to her lips.

Lay gave a nod of apology before turning back to Tao. “She’s my girlfriend, and she’s come up with the perfect plan to help you.”

“How much exactly did you tell her?” Tao inquires, squinting his eyes at the boy sitting next to him.

“That doesn’t matter.” Lay says dismissively, waving a hand carelessly in the air. “What does matter is that you get yourself together and listen to what Krystal and I came up with.” He leans in closer and whispers the plan into Tao’s ear.

Tao’s face grows pensive after Lay pulls away. “I don’t know if I can-“

“Tao, listen to me. How long have you liked Yoona?”

“A long time…”

“Exactly. Soon enough, there’s going to be another guy, man enough to sweep Yoona off her feet. And you’ll be left to pine after her for the rest of your life.”

Tao remains silent.

“Please, Tao, if you’re not going to do it for yourself, do it for me. Let me see you happy.”

Tao looks into Lay’s eyes, bites his lip, and eventually acquiesces.

“Fine. I’ll do it.”

 

* * *

 

Tao’s palms are sweating, and his heart is racing and part of him is wondering why on earth he agreed to do this. Maybe it was because Lay had a way of persuading people, or maybe it was because somewhere, in the very depths of his being, he had always really, really wanted to do this – to take her hands in his and tell her everything-

The door cracks open and Tao freezes, his heart picking up speed, and he grips onto the rose he’s holding even tighter.

It swings open and when Tao sets eyes on her, everything stops. His heart, his breathing, his thoughts. Everything just stops and his world focuses in on Yoona.

She comes forward with a smile. And there she stands before him, in front of a thousand fairy lights as the night darkens in around them as they stand upon the rooftop.

“Hi,” She says, her straight white teeth framed by pink, lip-glossed lips, and her dark eyes framed by long, falling, blonde hair.

“Hey,” Tao returns, swallowing, forgetting how to breathe.

“This place looks beautiful.” Yoona says, looking around, her white dress swishing with her movement.

“Uh, thanks. Lay and Krystal helped me decorate.”

Yoona nods, “You guys did a good job.”

When the silence falls, Tao panics slightly. Not wanting it to be awkward he quickly extends his arm out, giving Yoona the rose. “Uhm…this is for you.”

“Oh, thanks.” She smiles wide, taking the rose, their fingers brushing slightly, causing Tao’s heart to thud loudly in his chest. “That’s very sweet of you.”

The only thing that Tao can manage to do is give a nervous smile.

The silence that ensues in teetering on being awkward, as they stand and avoid each other’s gazes. Tao shuffles his feet in place, digging his hands into his pockets in an attempt to try and seem casual.

“So…uh…” Yoona begins, suddenly seeming as nervous as the boy standing in front of her. “Krystal said you wanted to talk to me about something…?”

“O-oh, yeah. That’s right, I do.” He clears his throat. “Do you want to sit down?”

Yoona nods, and slips her arm around Tao’s.

Tao takes a deep inhale when they sit on the perimeter of the roof, the distant city lights behind them.

“Just tell her how you feel, Tao. Be confident and sincere, just like Lay told you.” Tao thinks to himself.

When he looks up, he finds Yoona watching him carefully. He bites down on his lip, slowly moving to take Yoona’s hand.

He’s half-expecting her to pull away, but she doesn’t. She just smiles at him, waiting to hear what he has to say.

“Well…” His voice is a little more unstable than he’d thought it’d be. “I…uhm…I guess…that I…uh….” He sighs and looks to the floor, trying to remember what he’d practiced, but his mind goes blank. He curses mentally, trying to gather the right words to say. “Yoona…the first time I saw you, I was eight years old. And instead of wanting to play with my sister’s dolls, you wanted to play with my action figures.” He takes a breath, a small smile upturning his lips. “You pushed me over when we played football one time, and made me scrape my knee. When I wouldn’t stop crying, you started crying too.”

Yoona laughs. “I remember that.”

Tao nods, feeling his confidence build. “That’s how I knew you were different. We’ve known each other for years, but right now is the most nervous I’ve ever been talking to you.” He links their fingers together, their palms colliding gently. “Because…I’m in love with you, Yoona. And have been for a very long time.”

The stars stare down at them, and Tao can see their reflection in Yoona’s sable eyes.

“Tao…” She says softly.

“I brought you here tonight to see if there is any chance that you might feel the same way.”

“Tao,” She repeats, sounding breathless. He watches her swallow down, and as she reaches out, rose still in hand, she trembles. Her fingers brush over the contours on Tao’s face, and then, like magnets, their mouths draw close and finally connect.

Their lips dance the waltz in the light of the moon and the strings of fairy lights. And there are not enough words in Tao’s vocabulary to describe how perfect it feels.