Chapter 20 - Missing Piece

Max's New Girlfriend

" Ch- Ch- Changmin? " asked the girl shocking all of the DBSK members.

She had abrubtly sat upright and practically yelled. Not what they were expecting. Changmin had been peering in to have a closer look at her face when she began to stir awake. And all of a sudden - BOOM! She'd sat upright!

" Omo! Omo! Omo! " cried the girl. " D-Dong B-B-Bang Shh-Shin K-Ki? " she stammered as her eyes darted from one member to the other.

" Uhh.. the last time I heard we were Dong Bang SHin Ki.. " said Junsu pouting cutely. " Not D-Dong B-Bang Shh-Shin K-Ki.."

At that Yoochun lightly rapped the back of Junsu's head.

" Whaaaaaaat? " cried Junsu oblivious to the fact that Go Eun Joong had not mistaken their name, but was actually spazzing over the "Rising Lords of the East".

Eun Joong giggled.

And Changmin couldn't help but smile.

She was so beautiful. Yet something seemed different, but she was definitely his midnight maiden. He just needed to bring it up. To confirm it.

But how was he going to ask her that? How was he going to ask her if she was his midnight maiden?

What if she said yes? - Which was probable considering they looked the same.

What if she said no? - Which he couldn't bring himself to accept.

The evidence being her mere prescence was extremely hard to deny. She was right there. It was as bright as day. Her smile. her every move. It seemed the same, yet different. Perhaps it was because he was used to seeing his midnight maiden only under the light of the moon or his occasional night lamp. Whatever it was, he wasn't as sure as he was two minutes ago...

 

LATER THAT DAY (EVENING)

The other four members of DBSK had left the hospital soon after Eun Joong woke up. She was fine and was discharged with a nervous Changmin being her only companion. However they were only able to leave the hospital after an about five hours thanks to a message from Jaejoong, and that too under the guise of nurses.

 

From: Jaejoong

To: Changmin

Text Message: Whole place is crowded with papparazzi! Cassiopeia all over the place too.. Back door's no good. No way out maknae. Hang in there. - Hero~ ^^

 

As soon as they were out of sight from the rapid reporters crowding around the hospital after being tipped off that DBSK's very own Max Changmin was at the hospital due to the sudden fainting fit his secret girlfriend had fallen into.

The fuss was more about who his supposed girlfriend was rather than what had happened to her.

" Well, I can definitely say that I've never had to escape in a nurse's costume before, " said Eun Joong with a big grin.

" Well, yeah. One of the downsides to being.. famous, " said Changmin awkwardly.

" Really? It's.. I don't know, fun? " said Eun Joong still grinning.

Changmin just laughed with her.

" Well, maybe we could hang out some more and we could have fun like this again... " said Changmin as he awkwardly scratched the nape of his un-itchy neck.

" That's be fantastic! " cried Eun Joong excitedly. " I'd love to hang out~ "

They continued their conversation as Changmin walked Eun Joong to her house, her leading him of course. And yes, still in their nurse outfits.

" That's great.. " said Changmin with a relieved smile before shyly adding, " So it's a date? "

" I guess it is, " said Eun Joong with a smile that made Changmin's heart melt and his train of thought go fuzzy with heart shaped clouds made of cotton candy.

" So... I'm free today, how about we go on that date... now? " suggested Eun Joong suggestively.

Changmin looked at her with wide eyes. He looked around. It was already dark. He looked at his watch. It was almost eight. He felt nervous. He'd never been on a date before, let alone been alone with a girl.. in the night.

" Well, it'd be nice to see you clearly and not just in the moonlight.. " said Changmin, subtly trying to confirm his thoughts on her being his midnight maiden.

" Yeah.. " she said almost sounding dissapointed.

" I'm sorry. It's just that you look pretty in the moonlight.. But I'm sure you'll look prettier in the sunlight.. " said Changmin still prying for an answer in the most subtle way he could think of. Which wasn't exactly an easy job for the inexperienced youngster.

He expected more dissapointment from Eun Joong but her smile widened.

" That's okay.. " she said with a big smile that made him weak at the knees before she blushed and added, " I was just afraid you wouldn't want to see me tomorrow.. I didn't want to seem pushy.. "

Changmin blushed back. So that's why she had sounded dissapointed.

" You know I don't mind seeing you.. The last time you didn't even have dinner with me.. " mumbled Changmin.

" Dinner? Last time? " asked Eun Joong with a very confused expression.

She didn't know.

" Umm.. " mumbled Changmin again. " I'm sorry. I meant I didn't even get to take you to dinner today. "

" Oh, that's okay, " she giggled regaining her composure.  " I like the day time better. Night time's always been too dark for me. Like a bad memory... "

Her voice faded out at the end of her sentence.

" Okayyy... " said Changmin. " So I'll pick you up tomorrow? "

" Yup! " she said with a salute.

" Good night Go Eun Joong-ssi, " said Changmin with a half-smile noticing they'd reached her house.

" Goodnight Changmin-ssi~ " she said with an almost hyper active wave.

Changmin just smiled half heartedly as he watched her walk into her house before slowly turning around and heading to his own apartment where he knew four rabid guys would be ready to tear him apart for details.

His midnight maiden...

It had to be Go Eun Joong..

He was sick and tired of thinking of who she might be. He hoped - No! He wanted it to be her. He was sick of chasing his dreams, of being un-sure, of thinking that he was finally losing it..

But Eun Joong was so bright and not exactly reserved.. whereas his midnight maiden had been very shy. And innocent.. like a child..

Eun Joong preferred the day time to night.. his maiden seemed to be a creature of the night...

Eun Joong called him Changmin-ssi.. not Min-min...

Something was missing. It seemed like what he was dreading had come true after all. Eun Joong wasn't his midnight maiden.

Changmin shook his head. He'd ask her straight out the next day. They had a date after all...

 

EVEN LATER THAT DAY (MIDNIGHT)

Changmin was wearing his Hamtaro pyjamas and snuggling deep into the comfy warmth of his thick fluffy blanket when he heard rustling noises. He closed his eyes and hoped to the High Heavens that it was one of his hyungs..

For some reason the first thing that came to mind was a Japanese horror movie he'd watched when he was younger. Back then, he hadn't known the language and hadn't understood a thing.

He closed his eyes tight and prayed that the zombie (according to the Japanese horror movie he was thinking of) would leave him alone.

But the pain never came. He wasn't being chewed eaten!

Instead a voice that sounded of tinkling bells...

" Min-min... "