Chapter 11 - Trap

Max's New Girlfriend

That afternoon Changmin found himself sweltering in the mid-August heat as he had donned an over-sized cap, sunglasses that resembled goggles and clothes that were a bit too thick for such a day.

He wiped the beads of sweat off his forehead making sure not to draw attention to himself. He didn't prepare to sweat just to be caught by papparazzi. He needed to make it to his destination or there was no telling when he'd freak his hyungs out and be admitted into the psycho-ward of some Whacko hospital.

He turned a corner peering at the signboards intently to give him some sort of direction as he searched for his seemingly invisible destination.

" Finally! " exclaimed Changmin as an old man in a an ill-fitting tangerine suit caught his eye.

Slowly Changmin walked up to the old man who was doing a weird jig infront of a rather rickety out-of-sight cottage painted roughly in the most hideous of neon colours clashing horribly with the man's outfit. The poor boy had to shield his eyes from the bright colours to prevent himself from possibly going blind.

" Ahjusshi... " began Changmin.

* ahujusshi - korean for 'mister'

The old man smiled widely revealing teeth that looked like it had been brushed with rotting cheese.

Changmin cringed before continuing.

" Uhhh... is this Jang Hye Soon-ssi's shop? "

" Yes! You have come to the right place! " said the man loudly and a bit too cheerily. It scared Changmin a little. The man was beggining to give him the creeps. " Come in. "

" Uh... kamsamnida, " said the boy awkwardly as he bent over to allow himself to pass through the low doorway.

Changmin's eyes wandered over the interior of the small room. The room was divided in half with a heavy, vividly red velvet curtain intricately decorated with glass beads. On the half of the room visible to him, he observed that after you got over the overwhelming brightness of the room it was quite a cozy setting. A old calendar from 2003 hung on a wall featuring pictures of TVXQ when they had just debuted. A huge money plant dominated a far corner beside a table covered with the same material as the room-separating curtain. On the table - a crystal ball and a few tarot cards.

Changmin snorted at the cards.

He began to wonder why he was here in the first place. This Hye Soon lady was a fake. A fake trying her best to earn some money.

He wrinkled his nose in distaste as he saw a cobweb on a corner of a shelf. The shelves were stocked with books on the occult, on magic, hypnotism... anything mystical and unexplainable. About four comfy red arm chairs were lined up beside the door where apparently customers were expected to wait. As he sat himself down into the couch's plushness, he couldn't help but shake his head at what he was getting himself into.

" Ajusshi, Jang Hye Soon-ssi audi issoyo? " asked Changmin.

* audi issoyo - korean for 'where is?'

" I'm here, " said a delicate feminine voice from behind the curtain.

" Umm, Hye Soon-ssi- "

" You can go in, " interrupted the cheery old-man.

" Kamsamnida, " said Changmin nodding.

Tentatively he walked into the musty 'area' that the curtain had barred him from viewing. A chair had been set out for him in front of a table covered in a lime green tablecloth that clashed horribly with the electric-blue walls. He sat himself down and stared at the huge chair that had been turned away from him so that he was unable to see the person he had come to meet.

" Um... " he began, not quite sure what to say. He'd never been in this situation. " Jang Hye Soon-ssi? "

For a second nothing happened. When suddenly the chair abruptly spun around. Jang Hye Soon was petite. Her dark hair was straight and long, so long that it almost reached her hips. A silvery veil covered her face, except for her eyes which were almond shaped and heavily lined with black liner. Changmin gasped. Her eyes!

One pupil was green, the other was yellow.

She pulled off her veil before she brought a finger upto Changmin's chin. Her nails were LONG and polished a frightening blood red.

" Uhhh... " Changmin began.

She scratched his chin. It hurt.

Her smile curved into a wicked greedy one on hearing the boy's frightened, pained whimper. She smirked.

Changmin didn't know if his eyes were playing tricks on him but when he saw Jang Hye Soon an inch away from his face, eyes now red with canines as long as a vampires was supposed to be he closed his eyes, knowing that he had really seen what his eyes had detected 2 seconds ago.

His heartbeat accelerated...

He couldn't breathe...

He could hear nothing but her breath...

So close...

Too close...

He waited for the pain to come...

For the piercing pain in his neck...