Chapter 8 A pregnancy is announced

Li Luo Min’s Eomma

Shin Hye was tired.  She was sleepy and she was nauseous.  She wanted to lie down and sleep.  Her mind felt numb because she had been up off and on all night throwing up.  It had been 7 weeks since her marriage and her home life with Ying Oppa and Zhi Oppa was calm.  They were staunch supporters and she was pampered at home.  She had run into Min Ho Oppa once more since the reception but he had seen her and turned away so he did not have to acknowledge her.  Her heart hurt every time she thought about him.  She loved him so much that she wanted to run toward him and ask for forgiveness.  She wanted to try to explain to him why she had left his side.  There were so many ifs ands and buts in her thoughts.  Ying Oppa told her pregnant women offered felt some confusion because of their heightened hormone levels.  He told her to not worry about anything just concentrate on the baby. 

Shin Hye had an appointment that afternoon with Ying Oppa.  They had set today as the day to act like the pregnancy was discovered.  She couldn’t help but be excited.  She could finally acknowledge her baby, maybe not the correct timing but at least she didn’t have to pretend she wasn’t pregnant.  They had decided that it was safer for her to use Ying Oppa as her doctor than another doctor.  Someone else might dig too deep or suspect she was further along.  Of course, they could always be contrite about sinning and say she was pregnant by Ying Oppa before the wedding.  Shin Hye didn’t want to do that because that would hurt Min Ho Oppa beyond belief.  It was difficult enough for her to know he thought she had cheated on him already.  She couldn’t bear the thoughts of him thinking she had been pregnant with another man’s baby while intimate with him.  No, she would not do that.

Shin Hye knocked on Ying Oppa’s door and entered.  He was busy on the phone.  He looked up and smiled at her.  She could hear his conversation and he was talking to Mother Li.  “Yes Mother.  Of course we will.  I don’t know Shin Hye’s schedule but I will check with her and let you know.  Yes, Mother I will tell Shin Hye.  Ah, Mother, Shin Hye just walked into my office.  Well, actually Mother, I am acting as her doctor today.  Yes, I know that.  I hope so too Mother.  Yes, you would be one of the first to know. Yes, no, good bye Mother.  I will let you know.”

Ying Oppa sighed and told Shin Hye, “Mother senses something.  She called to tell me I should have you do a check-up.  She noticed in your last interview you seemed tired.  She said you had lost some weight.  Then she said is Shin Hye pregnant?  She has the symptoms.  Ah, life will become more interesting after today.  I hope you are up to it.”

Shin Hye laughed and told him to not worry.  She said, “Eomma called me also.  She said almost the same things Mother Li said.  I believe they are talking about us behind our backs.”

Ying Oppa said, “OK my dear, are you ready for this?  We will go through a normal visit so that I can discover your pregnancy.  It might get hectic after your test are run and come back positive.  There is no way to cover it up so we will just announce it ourselves. Are you ready?”

Shin Hye nodded and told him she would defer to him during any talks of the pregnancy so she didn’t say the wrong thing.  He helped her stand and opened the door to the examination room.  He told her he was sorry but she would have to put the exam gown on because his nurse would find it odd if she didn’t.  Shin Hye nodded alright.  She could play this part.  She had the gown on and a nurse came in to take her vital signs.  She chatted with Shin Hye and told her how excited everyone was about Dr. Li marrying her.  Shin Hye chatted back and drew the nurse out asking questions about her family.  The nurse found her captivating.  Dr. Li entered the room and walked over and placed a kiss on her cheek.  The nurse smiled and giggled.  Shin Hye caught Ying Oppa’s eye and narrowed hers.  He laughed out loud at her expression and sat down on a stool to begin the questions.  The nurse was standing to the side thinking how adorable this pair looked. 

Dr. Li, “I know you are my wife and I know your symptoms but for the medical record I must ask you to tell me, OK?”

Shin Hye, “Yes Dr. Li Oppa.”

The nurse giggled and then looked at the ceiling like she heard nothing.  But she couldn’t wipe the smile off her face.

Dr. Li, “What seems to be the problem, Mrs. Li?”

Shin Hye, “Besides an insufferable husband (the nurse laughed out loud at this one) I seem to be so tired and sleepy I can barely keep my eyes open.  And then I keep getting nauseous.  I don’t think my pre-occupied husband has noticed but I seem to be throwing up a lot in the morning time.  Dr. Li Oppa, do you think I have come down with something?”

The nurse was finding it so cute she couldn’t stand it.  Shin Hye had this charm that was so innocent and childlike about her that people were fascinated with her.  The nurse was still smiling but now she was smiling as if she had a secret.

Dr. Li, “Nurse would you mind doing a blood sample?  Now Mrs. Li, don’t get excited but I suspect you might be pregnant.  When did you say your last period was?”

Shin Hye, “Oh Dr. Li Oppa, there is no way.  My last period was….let me count well….oh my Ying Oppa! It was 4 weeks before the wedding.  But Oppa could I get pregnant that quickly?”

She is good he was thinking.  She is very good.

“Mrs. Li of course you can get pregnant that quickly.  I know what you are thinking.  But let’s get the blood test back first, OK?”

He held her hand while the nurse drew a blood sample from the other arm.  The nurse left to take Shin Hye’s blood to the lab for testing.  She told no less than 6 people on her way to the lab.  The lab tech put a rush on the test.  By the time the test had run most of the hospital staff and a few visitors had heard the news.  A reporter for one of the news networks happened to be there to do an interview about a new cancer treatment technology.  He had just left the wing of the hospital housing the cancer research section when he heard 2 of the nurses excitedly talking about Park Shin Hye having a pregnancy test ran.  She was with her Doctor husband as they were speaking and everyone was waiting to hear the news.  He called his editor who told him to stay on it if possible.  He looked at the directory on the ground floor and headed to the second floor and Dr. Li’s office. 

The results were back and of course, she was pregnant.  Dr. Li’s nurse had informed everyone that Shin Hye should be 7 weeks pregnant.  She was so happy for them.  Dr. Li heard the knock on his door and looking at Shin Hye did an OK sign.  “Shin Hye get ready.”

Shin Hye was dressed and sitting on the couch in Oppa’s office.  The nurse entered beaming from ear to ear.  Dr. Li played along with it.  He looked at her and said, “What were the results?”

The nurse turned to grin at Shin Hye and held the lab paper out to him.  He looked at it, went over and sat beside Shin Hye.  He took her hand and looking at her smiled and said, “Guess what Mrs. Li?  You and I are going to be parents.”

Shin Hye smiled back and hugged him.  “Oppa, I am so happy.”

The nurse left to let the happy couple have a few minutes together.  She ran into another nurse outside the door.  The other nurse asked what the test results were and first nurse told her Shin Hye is 7 weeks pregnant.  They clasped hands and smiled.  It would be a happy time in the hospital for the staff working with Dr. Li. 

The reporter happened to be sitting on a chair hoping to hear something.  He immediately got on the phone and called his editor.  His editor told him to hang around a little longer but it was going on the news immediately.  The news announcer was handed a paper stating what the reporter had found out.  The picture of Shin Hye and Ying Ye in each other’s arms dancing at their wedding would be used for the background picture when the news was released.  The news station had an exclusive update and was not going to lose it.  A variety program was on SBS.  Shin Hye’s mother had the variety show playing at the restaurant.  Private rooms that didn’t want TV were turned off but the rest of the restaurant was tuned in.  Ying Ye’s father had the station playing in his office for background noise.  Mother Li was switching channels searching for a food program when she turned it to the breaking news.  Min Ho was in his break room studying his script with the variety show playing in the background.

There was a flash across the screen with the caption ‘breaking news from Seoul’.  Then an announcer sitting in front of a picture of Ying Ye and Shin Hye dancing said, “This breaking news from Seoul General Hospital has just reached this news desk.  It has been confirmed that the sole heir to Li Industries and Asia’s favorite actress Park Shin Hye are now expecting their first child.  Mr. Li and Ms. Park are newlyweds and Ms. Li is now 7 weeks pregnant.  We want to be the first to congratulate the soon-to-be parents.”

The parents were on the phone calling their children.  News media was scrambling to cover this story.  Min Ho looked as if he had been socked in the gut.  He stood and walked closer to the TV as if he looked closely enough he would discover it was a lie.  He was still standing there 15 minutes later when his manager ran into the room to find him.  He took one look and gathering Min Ho’s stuff ushered him out the side entrance and into the van.  He went back in and canceled the rest of Min Ho’s schedule for the next 2 days.  He then proceeded to take him home.  It was not going to be easy.

Shin Hye and Ying Oppa held hands as they stepped out of his office.   A group of hospital employees started congratulating him.  He thanked them.  His cell phone was buzzing and Shin Hye’s cell was buzzing.  They would be very busy for the next hour accepting well-wishes and congratulations.  The mothers talked to their children briefly and then called each other to talk grandchildren.  Ying Oppa sent Shin Hye home and told her to rest, telling her it was going to get very hectic before long.  She smiled and got in the taxi he had waiting for her.  She went to her Eomma’s restaurant because she needed a hug.  She wanted comfort.  She knew Min Ho Oppa had probably heard the news but she made herself not think of him.  It was bad enough she dreamed of him every night.  She simply could not bring him out of her thoughts into the light of day and examine everything that had happened.  She wasn’t ready for that yet.  She didn’t know if she would ever be ready but now was not the time.  She sighed as she firmly put the thoughts of Min Ho Oppa behind her mind screen and walked into her Eomma’s restaurant to waiting arms.

Shin Hye couldn’t believe how fast time was going.  She was now 6 months pregnant and was definitely showing.  She was scheduled for an ultrasound that afternoon and was anxious.  Ying Oppa and Zhi Oppa both would be there.  She was afraid something might be wrong.  Ying Oppa kept assuring her she was healthy.  Shin Hye was worried that she was not showing as much as other 6 months pregnant women showed.  Of course, she knew it was good that she didn’t look 6 months because of the lie but still she worried.  Ying Oppa was waiting for her in his office.  Zhi Oppa was pacing the floor.  He was concerned Shin Hye hadn’t gained enough weight.  Ying Oppa was fighting a losing battle with those two.  They ganged up on him and presented a united front no matter the situation.  He shook his head but was glad Shin Hye and Zhi were like sisters.  They giggled over clothes and make-up.  They gossiped together and they both glared at him at the same time when he said something they disagreed with.  They were a family. 

When Shin Hye was prepped and ready, Ying Ye opened the door and motioned Zhi Oppa into the room.  Dr. Li had informed the tech that a special observer would be present.  Zhi Oppa had a hospital mask on so he was obscured to the technician’s view and the tech assumed he was another visiting doctor.  The tech could care less. In fact, he was not into stars or idols either one and didn’t have a clue who Park Shin Hye was nor did he care.  He just ran the scan. 

Shin Hye was on pins and needles.  She wanted to know the of the baby but she didn’t want to know the of the baby.  Ying Oppa had listened to several hours of Shin Hye and Zhi debating the wisdom of knowing or not knowing last night.  He wanted to know.  He never thought of this baby as Lee Min Ho’s baby.  This was his baby.  He was here for Shin Hye.  He was the one who took on the responsibility when Min Ho turned her away.  He looked enough like Min Ho that resemblances would not be an issue.  He was looking forward to fatherhood.  He surprised himself with the fierceness of his love for this baby.  He thought will wonders never cease.  Zhi Oppa felt the same.  This was Ying Ye’s baby.  Min Ho had relinquished his claim loud and clear.  This was his niece or nephew and Min Ho be damned.

Ying Oppa was explaining the type of sonogram he had ordered.  He was explaining to Shin Hye and Zhi that it was a 4_D or Dynamic 3-D Ultrasound.  He told them it is used specially designed scanners to look at the face and movements of the baby prior to delivery.  He wanted specifically to rest Shin Hye’s fears that she wasn’t as big as she should be.  This would give them a very good idea of the baby’s size and condition.

It was more than she had expected.  She could see her baby.  It was a boy, a baby boy.  This sort of scan showed his face in 3-D images.  It was not hard to see that he was Min Ho’s child even this early.  Thank God, Ying Oppa and Min Ho looked alike.  But she didn’t care about that right now.  She was happy that the baby, tiny as he was right now, looked healthy.  He suddenly started to kick and then he stuck his thumb in his mouth and turned toward Shin Hye and Ying Oppa as if to tell them he was alive and kicking.  Shin Hye started softly crying and Ying Oppa hugged her while telling her their baby looked healthy.  He was satisfied with the results.  The tech printed out a copy of the monitor and Shin Hye held it as if she held an angel in her hands. 

Zhi Oppa left the room as did the technician.  Ying Oppa stayed long enough to give Shin Hye a kiss on the cheek and to tell her he would wait on her outside the room.

Zhi Oppa had gone back to Ying Ye’s office.  He did not want to show his emotions where others might see him.  He was so happy.  He worried about how much the baby appeared to look like Min Ho but then he looked like Ying Ye too. He shook himself and told himself to stop worrying. 

Shin Hye held onto the print as if it were a lifeline.  Ying Ye took her shoulder and turned her toward his office guiding her there.  He needed to talk to her and Zhi.  The next few months would be important and he needed their full attention.

Shin Hye and Zhi were admiring the print.  They were gushing over the baby’s looks.  Shin Hye looked at the print and then at Ying Oppa.  “Ying Oppa, he looks like you.  He really does.  Am I imagining this?”

Zhi Oppa said, “Well of course he looks like Ying, he is his father.”  He said it with such fierce loyalty that Shin Hye was taken off-guard.

Ying Oppa spoke up.  “It is a good coincidence that Min Ho and I look alike.  Fate or not, this is good.  Now, you 2, I need your attention.  Luckily the gestational age of the fetus is hard to determine by a sonogram.  It can be done but each woman is so different that it would be hard to do.  It appears our baby is slightly small for 6 months so I may have to change my original diagnosis to 4 weeks instead of 6 weeks as I said when I first saw you Shin Hye.  But that is not a problem especially under the circumstances.  The baby looks physically good and healthy.  I particularly liked the way he kicked and stuck his thumb in his mouth.  He was alert and functioning well.  Do you realize what the big issue is now?”

Shin Hye and Zhi looked worried and said No together.  “Well, the way I see it we will have to fight over a name.”

He laughed as it dawned on Shin Hye and Zhi that names had never been discussed.  Zhi Oppa said, “I will bake a wonderful cake for dessert tonight and we will start working on names.  How does that sound Shin Hye?”

Shin Hye was still looking at the print and shook her head in agreement.  Ying Oppa asked Zhi Oppa if he could make sure Shin Hye got home safely because he was afraid she would be daydreaming and walk into traffic. 

They had argued over names.  Each of the 3 had favorite names.  Ying Oppa had called his parents and told them the news. It is a boy. His parents were too happy for words.  Shin Hye called her parents and told them it is a boy.  They were too happy for words.  The grandparents called each other and congratulated each other.  The Park and Li households were happy.  The news leaked out and the news media picked it up.  It became part of the news broadcast for several days running.  All of Asia knew that Ying Ye and Shin Hye were expecting a baby boy.  There were pictures of a glowing Shin Hye with a tiny baby bump.  She had been swamped with sponsors for baby care products.  She was busier than ever.  Who would have thought that marriage and pregnancy wouldn’t end her career? 

She was content and settled.  She missed Min Ho and regretted he would never know his son but life was what it was.  She would consider this her sin to bear.  She finally grieved for Min Ho and herself.  She gave herself permission to grieve and mourn for the special love they had fought so hard to acknowledge.  She grieved for the fierce love that flourished for such a brief time but was now gone.  She visualized burying it deep inside her heart.  Min Ho would always be the only man in her heart.  Her baby son would always be the first man in her life.  She loved Min Ho but she had to let him go.  She needed to let him go because she had looked upon the face of her tiny unborn son and she felt emotions she never knew existed.  She would never ever do anything to hurt this tiny human that was the result of her love for the first and only man she would ever give herself to.  So she quietly and with peace laid Min Ho Oppa to rest in her heart.