Chapter 14 Keep an eye on my son

Li Luo Min’s Eomma

Min Ho waited until his sister sat down beside his Mother.  He held the USB drive Shin Hye sent in his hand.  He took his laptop and hooked it to the TV.  He inserted the USB drive.  All he had to do was click –

“Appa, Eomma, Yun Kyung – I know you have no idea why I said this was urgent.  First listen to me.  Appa – Eomma if you wish to get mad I understand but you must know how and why first.

I am going to show you some pictures and videos.  Please just watch and then I will tell you the how and why.  Please just humor me.”

He hit the enter button and started the slide show he set up earlier.  He saw the startled looks on their faces when Luo Min’s first pictures flashed by – it was the picture of Luo Min when he was 6 weeks old that grabbed his Eomma’s attention.  He heard her gasp.  He looked at his parents who were looking from him to the screen.  The pictures glided by smoothly and showed Luo Min as he looked more and more like Min Ho each week.  He played the videos and his mother was crying.  In one video Luo Min is giggling and cooing.  He is reaching for Shin Hye and she is partially visible.  There is no mistaking who she is.  His sister made a small cry – he looked at her and put his finger to his lips shaking his head no.

He had added the picture he took of Shin Hye the night he talked to Ying Ye.  It was a glorious picture.  And then he shut the laptop down.

He turned and faced his parents and sister.  He said, “Let me explain before you form an opinion.  Yes, that was Shin Hye.  And the cute little boy you saw is my son.  His name is Li Luo Min.  Please do not blame this on Shin Hye.  It is my fault.  I said some things to her that I should not have.  If I had known she was pregnant with my child I would not have turned her away – I would not have told her I chose my career over her and any baby.  I was a stupid, blind fool.  Those careless words of mine forced her to find another solution to save my son and her reputation.  This is all on me.  I found out in September that Luo Min was mine.  It is hard to deny he is mine.  The first clue was when Yun Kyung told me Shin Hye’s son had been born with the same birth defect I carry.  It seemed a coincidence then.  In September, Shin Hye and I were trapped in the same elevator with Luo Min.  I had not seen a picture of Luo Min before that day.  When I saw Luo Min for the first time that day I realized I was looking at an exact replica of myself.  I have talked to Shin Hye.  I found out my careless words scared her and she felt she had no choice but to not tell me.  Her friend who I might add is truly just a friend and her husband in name only gave her a way out.  It was a way out for him also.  That is his story and his secret.  I can’t tell you that.  I ask that you not repeat this to anyone. “

“I have spent the last 3 months getting to know my son.  I love him beyond all reason.  I will do anything to protect his name and to protect Shin Hye’s reputation.  This is a situation of my making and I will find a way out of it but I cannot do it while serving in the military.  So, I wanted you to know.  I wanted you to know you have a grandson and I have a son just in case something should happen to me.  I trust you not to tell this to anyone.  Please do not trouble Shin Hye.  I know it might be difficult at this stage to not see Luo Min but you have to trust me when I say it will do him great harm.”

He looked at them.  They were looking at him with a mixture of disbelief and sorrow.  This was hard on them.  Their first grandchild and they couldn’t be part of his life.  They could see the pain on their son’s face and they didn’t know what to say or do.  “OK you can ask me anything you want.  I will try to answer.”

Yun Kyung stood and walked to Min Ho.  She put her arms around him and said, “Oppa, I am so sorry.  This is not anyone’s fault.  This is one of those cruel tricks fate plays on people.  We all have to be strong now so that you can finish your service and get your family.  But Oppa can we have a picture too?”

His Mom and Dad stood and hugged him too.  His father said he didn’t know what to say since Min Ho already realized the enormity of ill said words.  He asked Min Ho what he wanted them to do or was there anything they could do.

Min Ho had sent Yun Kyung and his mother a picture.  It was so identical to one of his own baby pictures that anyone would think it was Min Ho.  He looked at them and said, “Please just keep an eye on Shin Hye and Luo Min from a distance.  If she should ever ask for help please help her.  She is so stubborn and never wants anyone else to suffer or feel blame; it is hard to know if she would ask for help.  But I have a feeling if she were desperate and needed help she might just ask you Eomma.  Would you be there for her if she needs you?  If Luo Min needs you?”

His Eomma was crying softly and nodded.  “I will always be there.  I had hoped that you and Shin Hye would marry and have children but I never knew.  Yes, if she needs us we will be there for her.”

He told them he had to leave and picked up his laptop.  He hugged each of them in turn and told them he would see them tomorrow at the station. 

He called Shin Hye on his way home.  “Shin Hye, I may have done something you won’t approve of but I am not sure.  I have told my parents and sister about you and Luo Min.  Shin Hye if something should happen to me I wanted them to know they have a grandson and I have a son.  If you should ever need them they will help you.  I know you have many friends and your parents to lean on but just remember that they will help you if you ever need help.”

She didn’t get upset.  She understood his desire for his parents to know.  After all, Hong Ki knew.  She thought she should tell him that also.  “Min Ho, someone else figured it out.  Do you remember years ago when you were jealous of Hong Ki and stared him down.  Remember how intimidated he was by the intensity of your stare?  Well one day I met Eomma at the restaurant and Hong Ki was there and Luo Min tried to stare Hong Ki down.  Hong Ki was joking and saying “make him stop” when he made the careless remark asking if I knew whose eyes he had? He said the last time someone stared at him that way was and then he stopped because he realized who Luo Min looked like and he put 2 and 2 together.  I am sorry but he will not tell anyone.  He is worried that more people will make the connection between Luo Min and you.”

Min Ho said, “It can’t be helped.  I am afraid in time too many people will suspect or conclude.  It will be a test of our nerves.  I know I can’t see you tomorrow before I leave but I wanted you to know how much I care and how much I love you.  I will contact you when I am able.  Shin Hye, II Woo knows too.  If you need help he will also be there for you.  I don’t want to leave but I have to.  I will hang up now but know I love you.  I love Luo Min also.  I will miss our family time together every other day from 9 to 11 and Shin Hye it was family time.   Please kiss Luo Min every day for me.  I love you.”

The call ended and Shin Hye held the cell phone to her chest.  She sobbed as if her heart was breaking and Luo Min started to cry.  He held his arms out to Shin Hye and said, “Emmmma.”  With Luo Min in her arms she cried even harder.