Chapter 12 Choices always hurt someone

Li Luo Min’s Eomma

Shin Hye walked into the house.  It was empty which meant Ying Oppa had not made it home yet.  Shin Hye thought that is not a bad thing.  I need to think.  She went about starting their dinner.  It was Zhi Oppa’s turn to fix dinner tonight but she had promised him she would make the marinade for the meat.  Shin Hye busied herself about the kitchen not because she needed to but because she wasn’t ready to think.

Luo Min was stirring and would soon wake up.  She planned on giving him an early bath.  She was watching the baby monitor and observed him as he woke up.  He was instantly alert and began looking at the mobile above his crib while reaching and cooing.  She felt a warm wash of love.  Without him she would not be able to exist. 

She heard someone talking and went downstairs.  Zhi Oppa was talking out loud.  She always enjoyed talking to Zhi Oppa because he was so full of optimism.  She told him hello and went to help him by setting the table.  He looked at her and putting his hands on his hips said, “Well do you want to tell me about it?  I know some but not all.  You do know how to stir up a bee’s nest don’t you?” 

Shin Hye realized of course Ying Oppa discussed it with Zhi Oppa.  So she sat on the counter stool while he was busy working on vegetables and told him what happened that day.  She told him the basics but not about her yearning feelings or regret.  He looked at her and said, “Shin Hye I know you are still in love with Min Ho but you have to realize you can’t just up and leave us.  Do you know what would happen to Ying if you do that?  Do you realize how his reputation would suffer?  Do you realize it would not only affect Ying but Min Ho?  Who would respect a man that takes another man’s wife and son away?  Or respect the woman who marries someone else while pregnant with another man’s baby?  Shin Hye the words are harsh and I know that is not how it is but the world will judge you by a different standard because you are the Park Shin Hye.  Don’t do anything to harm those you love.  And Shin Hye darling, the one who will suffer most is Luo Min.”

Shin Hye felt the tears fall.  She told Zhi she knew all that.  She knew she wanted Min Ho but couldn’t have him.  She had made a promise to stand by Ying Ye when he agreed to help her out.  She just felt so confused; she felt like her brain was one huge pile of jumbled and tangled webs.  She didn’t know who to turn to or what to do.  She felt like she would like to go to sleep and forget everything.  But that was the coward’s way and she was not a coward.  She needed to think.  She moved aimlessly about the house checking first on Luo Min and then Zhi.  Finally, Zhi told her to go and find something to do.  She was driving him crazy.

She went to check on Luo Min.  He was entertaining himself with his toes and fingers.  How sweet he looked and how like Min Ho he looked.  She knew that just because Ying Oppa and Min Ho Oppa resembled each other it wouldn’t hold water when Luo Min became a little older.  He was Min Ho made over and someone would notice sooner or later. 

She gathered a blanket, sun screen and some toys.  She took Luo Min outside to a secluded grassy area.  She spread the blanket and put sunscreen on Luo Min.  It was quite shady under the tree but she didn’t want to risk it.  She traced the scar on Luo Min’s chest and was so thankful he had survived.  His last scan showed his heart and lungs were back in the correct spot and he would be fine.  She was so thankful to Ying Oppa for all the effort and heart he had given them.  When she thought that way she couldn’t hurt him.  When she thought of Min Ho Oppa she didn’t want to hurt him.  What on earth was she going to do?  Luo Min had been added to the Li family register and he was considered the heir to the Li family business and fortune.  Ying Oppa had also made him his heir to his personal money that was not connected to his family’s business or money.  It was so tangled up.  So many people were involved.  Mother Li doted on Luo Min and she would be heartbroken if she ever found out the truth.  How many people would be affected if she let the truth out?  How many hearts would be broken?  She bowed her head and prayed to be guided so that no one would suffer.

She saw a shadow and looked up to see Ying Oppa looking at Luo Min.  He sat down beside Shin Hye and taking her hand asked her to tell him what happened.  One thing about Ying Oppa he never faulted anyone and would always listen without bias. 

She started at the beginning and didn’t leave anything out.  She told him everything from the time she decided to buy the outfit to the moment she got home.  She apologized for putting them in this predicament.  Ying Oppa was looking down at Luo Min and was quiet.  He looked at Shin Hye.  “Shin Hye, I wish Min Ho had not seen Luo Min.  I don’t know how we can resolve this without someone getting hurt.  I think I should meet with Min Ho and hear what he says.  Perhaps I can make him feel less anxious when he knows what our real relationship is.  What do you think?  Would you be able to face Min Ho here in our home?  I won’t do this if you don’t want me to.  But Shin Hye we can’t have you and Luo Min sneaking around to meet Min Ho.  It would eventually be found out and you and our son would suffer.  I don’t want that.  Even though I do not love you as a partner I do love you.  I love Luo Min as a son however and where he is concerned I can be very possessive.  I do not wish to give up my son.  I do not wish to give you up unless I am forced to.  This is something I need to discuss with Min Ho as men without you being present.  I know it will be difficult for you to understand this but please let Min Ho and I talk before you decide anything."

Shin Hye nodded.  This was something Min Ho needed to hear straight from Ying Oppa.  She would also talk to Min Ho but not yet.  She needed more time.  Ying Oppa called Min Ho that night and arranged for him to come to their home.  He told him this would be between him and Min Ho.  He told Min Ho there were things they needed to discuss and matters that needed to be settled.  It was agreed he would be there at 6 pm the next day.

Min Ho looked at his cell and saw it was an unlisted number.  Who on earth?  He had Shin Hye’s number saved so it wasn’t her.  He usually deleted any numbers he didn’t recognize.  But for some reason he felt a strange urge to answer this call.  He answered saying, “Yes?”

Ying Ye asked, “Is this Lee Min Ho?”

Min Ho, “And this is?”

Ying Ye, “This is Li Ying Ye.  I would like to talk to you.”

Min Ho, “Why?”

Ying Ye, “Because it concerns my son and wife.  I think we need to discuss this man to man.”

Min Ho, “About that – I suppose you heard about today?”

Ying Ye, “Min Ho we have to talk about this.  Can you come here tomorrow at 2 pm?”

Min Ho, “No I can’t.  I have a scheduled photo shoot that will last until at least 4 pm maybe later.  I can say around 6 pm.”

Ying Ye, “That would be acceptable.  I will see you at that time.”

Well Hell thought Min Ho.  Why did he have to say My son and wife?  I don’t like that at all.  At all.

The next evening at 5:45 pm Min Ho drove to Shin Hye’s house.  This is crazy he thought.  I should not be on another man’s territory when I want to talk about something this personal.  This is not good.  He stopped at the gate and was buzzed in.  He drove up the drive to a large house.  There was a manicured lawn in the front but he could see masses of blooms on the side of the house.  He approached the front of the house and as he started to ring the bell the door was opened by Ying Ye.

“Min Ho, come in.”  Ying Ye turned and Min Ho followed him.  He strode through what appeared to be a living area and to stairs.  He went up the stairs to the second floor.  He opened the door to a study/office looking room.  It was a quiet looking room filled with shelves of books and pictures.  The majority of the pictures were of Shin Hye and Luo Min.  There were pictures of a cozy looking Ying Ye, Shin Hye and Luo Min; there were pictures of an older couple and Luo Min and a younger man with Shin Hye and Luo Min. 

Ying Ye asked him to sit.  Min Ho sat on a chair in front of a desk.  Ying Ye sat behind the desk.  He looked at Min Ho and said, “For Shin Hye’s sake I will be as calm as possible.  Might I ask what your intentions are toward my wife and son?”

Min Ho said, “Don’t you mean my son?  Luo Min is my son, Li.  I could cause a bit of a sensation if I decided to go public.  I don’t want Shin Hye to suffer though nor do I want my son to suffer from unwanted public attention.   I will be upfront and tell you I want my family back.  I know now why Shin Hye turned to you instead of me.  It was a stupid mistake on my part and I will continue to let her know that I love her and my son.  You really have no claim to her or to him.  Li, you should let her go.”

Ying Ye sat and debated on what or how much to tell Min Ho.  He thought he could be frank with him but something about Min Ho made his hackles rise.  He knew Shin Hye was still in love with Min Ho.  Ying Ye did not have a romantic love for Shin Hye but he did love her.  He loved Luo Min and as far as he was concerned Luo Min was his son.  He thought perhaps he held resentment toward Min Ho because he had made Shin Hye’s life difficult or perhaps he held resentment because of Luo Min.  Any way he thought about it he felt resentment.  He had intended to tell him that he did not have a physical relationship with Shin Hye but for some reason he wanted Min Ho to suffer.  It was a puzzling thought for him. 

Min Ho sat and waited.  He could feel the resentment.  He didn’t think Shin Hye had a physical relationship with Ying Ye.  He knew she was married to Ying Ye but he knew Shin Hye and he trusted her.  But he was evaluating Ying Ye and he saw a physically attractive male a couple of years older than he.  He had to acknowledge that Ying Ye was rich and handsome.  He was also politically connected.  So he could actually cause Min Ho some problems if he wished.  Min Ho didn’t really care.  Not when the stakes were this big. 

Min Ho leaned forward and stared at Ying Ye.  “Li what is the purpose of asking me here if you aren’t going to say anything?  I am putting my cards on the table.  I want my family back.  I love Shin Hye and I love my son.  I am grateful to you for giving Shin Hye support when she needed it.  I am grateful that you helped and covered for Luo Min when he needed it but Li no matter how you cut it, Luo Min will never be your son.  I will not just turn them over to you and walk away.  Not again – never.”

Ying Ye thought well I suppose this is it.  I either tell him so things calm down or I let him become an enemy I am constantly battling.  Min Ho would be a formidable foe.  Even if he and Min Ho carried on a testosterone battle the losers would be Shin Hye and Luo Min.  He needed to put Min Ho at ease.

“Min Ho I am about to burst that smug bubble of yours.  I want you to listen.  I am about to reveal something to you that you will either respect my privacy or destroy me.  I can assure you if you use this information against me you will lose Shin Hye.  Now, I am married to Shin Hye in name only.  We agreed from day 1 that this marriage was to provide a name and respect for Luo Min and Shin Hye.  Shin Hye was a broken woman when she came to me.  She found out that day she was pregnant.  You had just told her that you would never choose her and a baby over your career.  I was her way to save her respect and to allow her to have her child.  Korea is a hard world for an unmarried woman even more so for a famous actress of Shin Hye’s caliber.  What would you have had her do?  But beyond that I am a gay man.  I cannot give my family an heir and I cannot have an open relationship with my lover.  Shin Hye stepped in and agreed to give me respect and an heir.  I know all this is a bit of a surprise but I will not turn my son over to you so easily.  For all purposes he is my son.  He is my son because I have been there for him the whole time.  I have given my heart and soul to him.  Min Ho you have to realize what will happen to him if you come clean with this or if Shin Hye leaves me for you.  I don’t expect answers or even clear thinking from you tonight.  What I want is for you to think all this through.  Don’t do something that will stay with Shin Hye and Luo Min for the rest of their lives.”

Min Ho was floored to say the least.  He had no idea it was this complicated.  But complicated or not he still couldn’t just push Shin Hye and Luo Min under a rug and pretend he had no idea.  He couldn’t turn his heart off.

Min Ho stood and looking at Ying Ye stated calmly and clearly, “I understand how and why.  But my heart still wants them.  I appreciate your honesty.  I will have to think about everything you have said.  I can assure you that I will say or do nothing to harm Shin Hye or my son.  I will talk to you again after I have thought about this more.  But Li we will meet on neutral ground next time.  Now if you will excuse me I will take my leave.”

He walked out of the study and down the stairs.  He could see out the side door to an area with soft lighting.  On a chair sat Shin Hye and she was holding Luo Min against her chest.  He appeared to be fast asleep.  He had always loved her profile pictures.  She was so gorgeous it hurt for him to look at her.  She had definitely matured and she had a glow about her that many sought.  Shin Hye had many competitors in the acting world but he could think of no one that could hold a candle to her.  She had no reconstructive surgery and was a natural beauty.  She had something that was just natural to her – it pulled people toward her and made them want to protect her and love her.  He didn’t go out to the area she was sitting.  He just wanted to look and remember.  He felt that he would never feel this way about anyone else.  And he had a son.  He felt protective and possessive toward Shin Hye and Luo Min.  He couldn’t and wouldn’t walk away from them.  He didn’t know how or even when but he was going to put his family back together.

He took one last look.  He pulled his cell phone out and moving to the door he snapped a picture.  Shin Hye was looking into the distance and did not know he was there.  He would cherish that picture.  He turned to leave and felt a sense of foreboding as he closed the door behind him.