Chapter 3 This plan just might work

Li Luo Min’s Eomma

Shin Hye arrived at twelve noon on the dot.  Dr. Li was anxious but not really hopeful.  After all he was propositioning South Korea’s, no actually Asian’s top model and actress.  She had the resources to come up with many options.  In fact, he was almost certain she might ask Jang Geun Suk for help.  If she turned him down then so be it.  He would go through with an arranged marriage but he would not give his family an heir.  He would not cheat on Zhi Qiang.  He hoped he wouldn’t have to tell his parents because it would set off an avalanche of problems for their family business and would probably kill his mother.

Shin Hye knocked on the door and then entered.  Dr. Li had tea ready and after Shin Hye sat down, he poured her a cup.  Handing her the cup he said, “Drink this first.  It will be good for you and the baby.  Then we will talk.”

Shin Hye accepted the tea gratefully.  She looked around and saw the small touches that bespoke a loved one’s touch.  Dr. Li watched her and knew she had picked up on Zhi Qiang’s touches.  She smiled as she looked at Dr. Li.  “Tell me about your love.  I need to know before I can decide.”

Dr. Li was not expecting this request.  He debated on whether to tell her but decided she would have to meet Zhi Qiang if she agreed to his proposition.   He started hesitantly at first but then as he spoke she could hear the love in his voice.  Shin Hye was nodding as she listened.

Shin Hye asked, “Have you told him what you have asked me to do?  And if so, I need to know his honest answer.  Please?”

Dr. Li smiled saying, “Yes I told him.  I didn’t tell him who you were or about the baby’s father.  That is your secret only to divulge.  I will let you decide how much you tell him.  But he likes this idea and it allows us the freedom to not worry about a forced marriage.  He will be an invaluable ally for us and we will both be your friend.  Zhi Qiang said to tell you he is very good at child care.”

Shin Hye was satisfied.  She was solemn as she told him, “I agree to your plan.  Tell me what we need to do to make this happen.  I can’t afford to wait too long because I have no idea how soon a pregnancy starts to show.”

Dr. Li stood and bowed.  He offered her his hand to shake and then introduced himself.  “Hello Ms. Park Shin Hye.  My name is Li Ying Ye and I happen to be a Doctor of Obstetrics.  Do you by chance need a good obstetrician, perhaps a good husband and friend?  If so then may I offer my services?  May I say I am most pleased to meet you?”

Shin Hye accepted his hand and said, “I am pleased to meet you Li Ying Ye.  I could use a good obstetrician, husband and friend.  My baby could use a good father.  I will accept all these from you.  What may I offer you in return?  I will freely offer my friendship, my loyalty and I will safeguard your secret forever.  Thank you for giving me a way to protect my baby.  Thank you.”

Dr. Li told Shin Hye to call him Ying Ye and if she wanted to come up with a nickname he would accept it gladly.  He told her that currently her medical records show she came to him for a sore throat and fatigue.  But after they were married her records would show she did not become pregnant till after they were married.  When the baby came he or she would be listed as a six weeks early birth.  This would protect Shin Hye and the baby from any future issues.  No one would dare question whether he was the father or not.  He told her that his parents had been asking him for a while if he had a girlfriend.  He kept denying it but his mother was adamant that she suspected he had a girlfriend.  So tomorrow they would fly to China to meet his parents.  He asked if they should meet her parents before or after they visited his parents.  She told him after because she would have to prepare herself to tell them.  It would be a big surprise.  He told her they could pull it off because wasn’t she Asia’s top actress?  He knew he could because he had been covering for years with his parents.  So they decided they would stick to some truth in telling how they met and fell in love.  Theirs would be a whirlwind courtship.  The story would be that he covered for his friend, Dr. Gau while she was on vacation and Shin Hye was one of her patients.  Shin Hye came to see her with a cold and met him in her stead.  And the rest was a whirlwind courtship.  Shin Hye told Ying Ye that they would have to become more comfortable touching each other like a couple.  She asked him if he could do it and he said yes that he would start now thinking of her as a friend.  They agreed to meet for breakfast and then fly to Shanghai where his parents lived.   They would discuss how to handle Min Ho during their flight. 

The next morning Ying Ye met Shin Hye at her apartment.  Ying Ye had agreed to bring his special friend, Zhi Qiang , with him to meet Shin Hye.  He was a delightful man and she could tell they would all three become good friends.  Zhi Qiang  was the one who suggested they start holding hands and even showed Ying Ye how to put his hand on her back and to run his hand down her arm.  He made them practice a few minutes before he was satisfied with their performance.  He told them they would have to convince Ying Ye’s parents that they were sincere and that their feelings were real.  It would be a performance of a lifetime. 

Zhi Qiang did not go with them.  His parents knew him as Ying Ye’s best friend since college and there was no reason for him to show up during the meeting to introduce Ying Ye’s fiancée.  Ying Ye had called ahead and told his parents he wanted to introduce them to someone.  They were skeptical and they were worried.  They had no idea who he might have selected or how suitable she might be.  They were definitely worried.   When Ying Ye and Shin Hye arrived they were shown straight to their room.  It was one room but Ying Ye had warned Shin Hye before they landed.  He assured her he would spend the night in another room without his mother finding out.  It was afternoon and they were expected to meet his parents in a half-hour so they prepared themselves for the meeting.  Shin Hye was thankful they weren’t expected to wear traditional clothing for this meeting.   Ying Ye checked Shin Hye’s appearance before they left the room.  He wanted this to go smoothly and he wanted his parent’s approval for the marriage.  He wanted them to like her well enough to accept a ceremony the following week.  He knew it was going to be tricky but the clincher would be Shin Hye herself.  She was the perfect wife material and she was an impeccable match.  His parents would be more than willing to welcome her into the family.  He wasn’t sure about a rushed ceremony.  He would play it by ear.

Shin Hye was gorgeous.  She was wearing a simple dress that came just to her knees.  It was elegant and suited her figure well.  She wore simple jewelry and her hair was styled to give the appearance of free flowing tresses.  Ying Ye was in casual clothing with a blazer.  He saw the approval on his parents’ faces when they entered the room.   Shin Hye had her hand on his arm.  It was a poised look and it spoke of good breeding and manners.  He knew his father would approve.  His mother started smiling as soon as she recognized Shin Hye.  He thought his mother was counting her lucky stars that he had managed to land someone like Shin Hye.  Shin Hye and Ying Ye stopped in front of his parents and he handed Shin Hye a bouquet of flowers.  She stepped forward and handed them to his mother and bowed deeply.  She then moved back to stand beside him.  He took Shin Hye’s hand and said to his parents, “I would like to introduce you to the woman I would like to marry.  Her name is Park Shin Hye.  We haven’t known each other very long but we would like to get married.  May I present her to you?”

He then turned to Shin Hye and said, “Ms. Park Shin Hye, may I present my parents to you?  They are good parents and will help us achieve a happy married life.”

Shin Hye bowed to his parents.  She formally greeted his Father in Cantonese. She turned toward his Mother, bowed and formally greeted her in Korean.  His parents nodded and welcomed her to their home.  His father asked them to sit.  His father asked Shin Hye many questions.  The question that almost made Ying Ye jump and run was when he asked Shin Hye, “Why do you want to marry my son?”  And then, “Are you in love with my son?”  Shin Hye saw his mother visibly jerk when his father asked if she was in love with his son.  She realized this was not a question the parents had planned on asking.  She knew she would have to lie but she would make it a truthful lie.

“I have little experience with romantic love.  I have only recently met Li Ying Ye but I can honestly say he is the most important man in my life.  Without Ying Ye I see a bleak future.  I want to marry him and I want a family by him.  I am solely lacking in many ways but if you give me a chance I will become the best daughter-in-law and wife in all of China and Korea.  I am thankful to you as parents for teaching Ying Ye to be the man he is.  He is truly one of a kind.  I can say this with my whole heart.  From this day forward, Ying ye will be the only man in my life.  I will love my brother and father and I will learn to love Ying Ye’s father but the only man in my life will forever be Ying Ye.  I promise you this.”

His parents were impressed and were thrilled to have her say these words to them.  They felt like they could finally rest from the worry of finding him a suitable wife.  He had found a suitable wife and one that was both adorable and proper.  Both parents gave a nod toward Ying Ye.  His father said, “You are a good daughter.  We will accept you with open arms.  Please consider yourself officially Ying Ye’s wife.”

His father spoke, “Ying Ye when would you like to have the ceremony?  Where would you like to have the ceremony?  And what type of ceremony would you like?”  He was asking Ying Ye but he was smiling and looking at Shin Hye. 

Shin Hye bowed and said, “Father, we will abide by your wishes for where the ceremony will be and what type of ceremony it will be.  The only wish I have is that you allow us to start our married life as soon as possible.  Next week would not be soon enough but I will abide by your wishes.  My heart desires to begin our married life and waste no time.  Thank you and I appreciate your accepting me.”

Ying ye put his hand on her back like Xi Qiang taught him and looked at her and smiled.  Shin Hye had told him earlier to pretend she was Xi Qiang and to respond to her like she was Xi Qiang.  He had been able to do that so what his parents saw was a man totally completely in love.  It was the light hand touching and gestures that convinced his parents.  They had no idea their son could be so sweet and caring and were again thankful for Shin Hye.  His parents looked at each other and nodded.  His mother asked Shin Hye to call her Mother and to call her husband Father.  Shin Hye told her she would and smiled.  His parents told the couple to go to the dining room and they would be there in a few minutes.

When the couple had left to go to the dining room, the parents were excitedly speaking.  They were thrilled and Mother said, “Let’s let them get married as soon as they want to.  Next week or tomorrow is fine with me.  What do you think dear?”

Her husband nodded as he pulled his wife in for a hug.  “I think we are lucky he found a wife like Shin Hye.  Let’s let them decide where, when and how they wish to be married.  I know the world will be watching because of who we are and how big the company is but let’s for once let Ying Ye be his own master.  There is time for him to decide if he wants to take over the company but for now, let’s get him married and settled.”

And with that Father picked up a jewelry case and headed toward the dining room.

Shin Hye and Ying Ye were chatting about food and weddings.  Shin Hye was doing her best.  She missed Min Ho and she knew she would never recover from losing him but she had to think of her baby.  Her little one would come first no matter what, so if acting like she was interested in what was going on would make her baby’s life easier then so be it.  She would put Min Ho out of her mind until later.  Later she would pull him out and think about it but not now.  Now she had to be Shin Hye the best actress she could be.  Ying Ye’s parents entered the room and his Father placed a jewelry case in front of Ying Ye.  He told his son, “This is yours now to do with as you wish.  It belonged to your great-grandmother.  I am hoping you will see fit to make this an engagement ring for your new bride-to-be.  Your mother and I have decided to let you and Shin Hye plan your own wedding.  You chose when, where and how.  Mother and I will help you in any way you wish.  I can hire planners for you if you would like?”

Ying Ye opened the jewelry case.   A magnificent jade and silver ring lay on his family’s colors.  A matching bracelet and necklace surrounded the ring.  He turned to look at Shin Hye and she was looking at him.  She laid her hand on his arm and said, “They are truly beautiful.  I can think of nothing more appropriate than accepting these from your wonderful parents.” Shin Hye gave his arm a small squeeze and she saw him release his breath.  She knew it was hard for him.  He could never acknowledge his true love and he would have to pretend for this lifetime that she was his true love.  Ying Ye and Shin Hye were truly sad creatures she was thinking.  But she put a smile on her face and to those in the room she was the epitome of graceful beauty.  She looked as if she were in love with Ying Ye.  She was indeed Asia’s best actress.

Ying Ye made himself relax.  He was grateful to Shin Hye for the squeeze on his arm.  He knew she was trying hard so he had to do this too not just for his and Zhi Qiang’s sake but also for Shin Hye and her baby.  He knew that he and Zhi Qiang along with Shin Hye and her baby would become a family.  So for now, he had to do as good an acting job as Shin Hye. 

Ying Ye took the ring out and going on one knee he took Shin Hye’s hand and placing the ring on her ring finger asked, “Park Shin Hye would you do me the honor of marrying me? I promise I will never look at another woman other than you for the rest of my life.  I will honor you in all we do.  Please say yes?”

Before Shin Hye could say anything, Ying Ye’s father beckoned at someone out of sight and a photographer came into the room and took a picture of Ying Ye and Shin Hye.  That picture would be plastered all over every newspaper and news feed in 2 days.  It was a beautiful picture.  Of course, Shin Hye said, “Yes.”

His parents were satisfied that all was well.  The couple had dinner with his parents and spent a couple of hours later chatting with them.  Shin Hye was starting to feel slightly nauseous and she was exhausted.  Ying Ye suspected she was dead on her feet.  He asked his parents for permission to leave.  He told them that Shin Hye had just come off a grueling schedule and with the flight that morning he would like for her to rest.  He told them he was worried she might have a return of her cold.  His parents were more than happy to send them off to a room by themselves.  His mother was dreaming of a grandchild and smiling at Shin Hye.

In their room Shin Hye sat down on the bed and looking at Ying Ye said, “How did we do? Do you think they are convinced? And when will the photos show up?  We have to figure a way for me to tell Min Ho Oppa before those pictures become public.  As much as I need to fool him about us, I don’t want him to see these without some sort of warning.  What should I do?”

Ying Ye took her wrist and was checking her pulse.  He laid his hand on her forehead and then told her to get ready for bed.  He would talk to her after she had gone to bed.  And he told her again not to worry he would sleep elsewhere.  She went to the bathroom to change into her nightwear, wash her face and brush her teeth.  Ying Ye went to the kitchen while she was preparing for bed to get her a cup of peppermint tea.  His mother was there and she was happy to see that he was attentive toward Shin Hye.  She hugged her son and said, “Thank you for bringing Shin Hye to us.  I will pray for a blessed marriage for you two.  I am amazed and pleased that you picked a Korean girl.  Be good to her and you will have a wonderful life.”

Ying Ye replied, “Of course I picked a Korean girl. My Mother was my inspiration.  Mother, I think Shin Hye will be a wonderful addition to all our lives.  I will do my best to make her life a peaceful and wonderful life.”

His Mother nodded her approval.  She patted his arm and told him to take the tea to his wife.  She would talk to him the following day about meeting Shin Hye’s parents and hiring wedding planners.

In the bedroom, Shin Hye had gone to bed but had propped up waiting on Ying Ye.  When he entered the room and placed the tea beside her, tears started to fall.  Ying Ye sat on the side of the bed and asked if he could hug her.  She nodded yes.  Ying Ye pulled her close and hugged her.  He said, “I know it is hard for you and I want to make it easy.  I am rather winging this whole situation so please bear with me.  I am beginning to love you as a friend.  I hope you can feel and understand my feelings.  Zhi Qiang is anxious that we get to the point we can trust each other and become real life-long friends. I too pray for this.  Now, I think we have convinced the parents.  Mother just told me she wants to arrange a meeting with your family and that she will hire wedding planners tomorrow.  The only thing that we need to plan now is how to handle Min Ho.  Do you have a preference?  Would you like for me to do it?”

Shin Hye felt comfortable with Ying Ye’s arms around her.  They felt like her father’s arms.  She could tell they would become the type of friends that were forever.  For this she was grateful.  But her heart was breaking for Min Ho.  She knew the news of her marrying someone else would break him but she could only hope he would find peace and happiness with a worthy woman when he turned 35.  How she hated the entertainment world and the expectations placed on entertainers.  They were such unfair expectations.  But she knew it didn’t matter right now.  Right now she needed a plan to try to help Min Ho accept and move on.  She had never dreaded anything as much as she was dreading facing Min Ho Oppa.  She could do it by courier but she would not be a coward.  She was going to face him and try to convince him she had fallen in love with someone else.  She was going to lie to him and pray that he would forgive her someday.  She was going to look him in the eye, lie to him and die inside her heart.  She would do this because Min Ho’s baby would never know his real father and Shin Hye wanted Min Ho’s baby.  She loved Min Ho and she always would love him.  She loved him so much that she would give him up so that he would not have to choose his career over her and his baby.  She would not make him choose.  She could not live if she saw the look in his eyes when he chose his career over her and his child.  So Shin Hye and Ying Ye came up with a plan to tell Min Ho the most colossal lie of all time.