Chapter 26 How to plan a romance

Li Luo Min’s Eomma

Shin Hye finished preparing their dinner while watching the interaction between Luo Min and Min Ho.  They were good together.  It seemed as if they knew what the other was thinking.  She loved to see them together.  She was wondering how long it would be before her Eomma noticed the likeness and what she would say when she found out the truth?  Her Appa and Oppa were another matter all together.  What would she do then?  How would she save Min Ho Oppa from them?  Worries and more worries she thought, I shall not let that bother me tonight.  Tonight is reserved for my 2 favorite men.

Dinner was over and dishes were washed.  Luo Min was bathed and in bed.  Min Ho was with him and Luo Min didn’t want him to leave.  He was fascinated watching his son sleep.  He could do it forever.  When he was sure Luo Min was asleep he went back to the living area to talk to Shin Hye.  He told her to sit and listen to him for a while because he thought it was important. 

He told her all his fears.  He told her why he had trouble not trusting anyone and women in particular.  He told her he didn’t want to feel that way about her because he loved her too much.  He said he had slowly been working it all out in his head and it made sense until he was around her and then logic went out the window.  But he told her to give him time because he was getting better.  He told her his plans for the future and how he wanted her and Luo Min to be the most important part of his future. 

Shin Hye was sad to hear him say he didn’t completely trust her but she knew the feeling.  She too had trust issues with people but it was because she felt like she was sometimes being used.  She had past experiences with a trusted someone who repeated the most intimate thoughts she had foolishly told that person.  So she was working on it.  She loved Min Ho Oppa, she knew this without question.  And if one loves someone then trust has to be part of it.  So the two of them had work ahead of them but they would make it she was sure of it.

Min Ho stood to leave and Shin Hye stood with him.  She put her hand on his arm and told him she was glad he came by.  She felt much better about them as a couple now.  She told him she wanted everything to work out and she would work with him as long as he needed.  She told him she trusted him and believed in him.  So she felt it was a good start. 

Min Ho told her he did trust her and was learning the difference between her and some others from the past.  He pulled her in for a slow kiss.  He told her he would leave because he did not want to be there in case anyone should come by.  She understood his reluctance to be in Ying Ye’s former home.  He turned to leave and heard a small voice say, “Appa stay. Don’t go.”  He looked over his shoulder to see a tousled-headed Luo Min.  He was rubbing his eyes and looking sad. 

Min Ho looked at Shin Hye.  She went to Luo Min to pick him up and comfort him.  He shrugged out of her arms and ran to Min Ho grabbing onto his leg and hanging on for dear life.  “Don’t go Appa.  I love Appa.”

Min Ho was sunk at that point.  He picked him up and looking at Shin Hye said, “May I spend the night in Luo Min’s room?”

“Of course you can Luo Min’s Appa.” Shin Hye replied gratitude shining in her eyes. 

Min Ho told Luo Min, “Luo Min let Appa put his car in the garage and grab my overnight bag from the car.  I promise I will be right back.  Shin Hye may I put my car in your garage?”

Shin Hye understood his concern and handing him a remote told him to put his car in the separate garage at the back of the house.  He would be able to leave by the hidden back entrance when he left in the morning.  She waited for him to come back inside.  He had a small bag with him.  He told her to go about her business because he really wanted to stay with Luo Min. 

Shin Hye went to bed and woke at 6 am.  It was quiet.  She rose and made her way to the kitchen.  She brewed a pot of coffee and taking a cup went out to an enclosed veranda.  She watched the sun rise and standing to go back inside she saw Min Ho standing in the doorway watching her.  She walked to him and gave him a good morning kiss.  He returned the kiss and said, “Good morning my love.  May I have a cup of coffee?”

Shin Hye gave him coffee after he followed her back to the kitchen.  He told her he had a plan that would allow them to begin a public relationship.  He detailed his plan to have them do a series of commercials together.  She was game.

He left all too soon and she was left to sort through everything he had said during the evening and morning.  She felt good about their chances for the first time.  She knew they had a lot of baggage to sort through but they loved each other and they had the living proof of that love.

She dropped Luo Min off with her Appa and made her way to her agency.  She had a 10 am appointment with her CEO.  He detailed a plan for several commercials and photo shoots.  He asked her if she had any problems with working with Lee Min Ho.  He told her since they had worked together in the past he thought it wouldn’t be a problem.  She smiled sweetly and said of course she had no problem working with her friend Min Ho Oppa.

Their first commercial was received well.  Their chemistry was as if no time had passed since their drama, The Inheritors.  Shin Hye was amazed at how easily everyone accepted their friendship and chemistry.  It was like old home week.  There were even a few people on the production team who had worked on production during The Inheritors.  They told Min Ho it was like The Inheritors was still filming watching the two of them joking around.

Min Ho and Shin Hye did several photo shoots for brands that use to be exclusive to either one or the other.  She wasn’t sure how he managed to pursue those brands to use them together but from a financial standpoint it was working out well.  Jambangee called Shin Hye and Min Ho’s agencies after seeing them together in a Semir shoot.  He had always wanted to do a Jambangee shoot with her.  In fact he had been jealous of all the guys she had posed with in her Jambangee photos before especially Jong Suk.  Well he wasn’t happy when he saw the photos of her and Jae Hyun either.  To be honest he wasn’t happy with any of her co-models.  So now he had a chance to show how much more the two of them could sizzle compared to all her other co-models.  And sizzle they did.  Suddenly there was a spotlight on the two of them.  Not just noticing how much chemistry they had but how intimate they appeared to be together.  Min Ho always kept his hand on her arm or held her hand even when the shoot was finished.  The behind the scenes were full of their amazing chemistry.  So interviews suddenly got very personal.  Min Ho had a plan in mind and decided they had managed to make it through the spring and summer photo spreads and fall and winter was approaching.  So when he was interviewed by GQ Asia he decided to throw something out there. 

The male interviewer asked, “You seem to have amazing chemistry with all your female co-stars.   Which actress or model do you think you have the best chemistry with?”

Min Ho laughed and looking at the camera said, “Of course it is Park Shin Hye.  We have always had fantastic chemistry from 2009 Etude House days until now.  She is the most amazingly gorgeous woman I have ever worked with.  I can’t believe she is as humble and sweet as she is.  She is truly one unique woman.”

The interviewer, “That almost sounds like you like her.”

Min Ho replied, “Sounds like? Yes I do like her.  She is the perfect example of what I think a woman should be.”

The interviewer, “So are you saying she is your ideal type? I thought you said you didn’t really have an ideal type.”

Min Ho laughed and said, “Well let’s give you an exclusive, Shin Hye is my ideal woman.  I would love to find someone exactly like her.  Since she is unique then that means there is only one Shin Hye.”

Interviewer is stunned, “Does this mean you want to date Park Shin Hye?”

Min Ho replied, “No I don’t want to date her.  I want to marry her.”

And those words caused quite a bit of pandemonium backstage and on the evening news.  It was being repeated across all social media outlets.  Some fans were encouraging, some felt favorable toward her but there were those who compared her to every female co-star he had ever starred with in commercials, dramas or movies.  Those were the comments that he was most pissed about and his fans were soon to hear it from him.  He thought why do they call her ugly?  Why do they say she isn’t good enough for me? And who is this person who wrote the comment about I don’t need extra baggage like an already family?  What the hell?  I really hate this business at times.  I love my fans but sometimes they go too far.  I hate when they think I will find them out of the blue and ask them to marry me.  Please fans can you just come down to earth and put yourself in my shoes?  Can you stop with you only have my well-being in your heart so that is why you must tell me these things?  Bull crap.  I hate it.  I want to live like a man not like some pin-up poster.  I want the woman I want in my life not the woman fans think I should want – last time I checked I was still breathing and my heart was still pumping.  That means I should be able to think for myself and choose who I want to be with not allow her to be chosen for me. 

The two were scheduled for a photo shoot and interview that afternoon.  The photo shoot went easily.  They were to portray a y young couple in love and the two left no doubts they were compatible.  Min Ho practically scorched Shin Hye with his gazes but Min Ho definitely felt the heat from Shin Hye's y dreamy stares directed toward him.  The interview was immediately following the photo shoot.

Interviewer:  Shin Hye much has been posted on social media sites about Min Ho’s declaration of love.  What do you think about what he said?

Shin Hye:  I love that he is so open about his feelings.  Oppa and I have extremely good chemistry.  We are a good match on the set and off the set.

Interviewer:  Does this mean you feel the same way about Min Ho?  Do you want to date him?

Shin Hye:  Who said anything about dating?  I think we should just get married.  We are getting older by the second. 

Interviewer:  How does your ex-husband feel about your relationship with Min Ho?

Shin Hye:  He thinks Oppa is an excellent choice for me.  He has no issues with Oppa.

Interviewer:  Min Ho, how do you feel about having a ready-made family?  Don’t you want your own family and not someone else’s?

Min Ho:  Really?  You just asked me a question like that?  I love little Luo Min already.  He feels and looks like my son.  If he is Shin Hye’s son then he is my son.  And Shin Hye and I plan on adding to our family so there are no issues or problems that I can see.

Interviewer:  What do you mean Luo Min looks like your son?

Min Ho:  Shin Hye’s former husband bears a remarkable resemblance to me.  Luo Min bears a remarkable resemblance to me.  But that has little to do with my feelings for Shin Hye.  I will tell you now that I intend on marrying Shin Hye.  If my fans don’t want me to then they should stop being my fans.  I love this woman and I am old enough now to settle down and get married.  I want to wake up with her every morning and go to sleep with her every night.  Is that so wrong?

Interviewer:  Actually I think you two make a very handsome couple.  I have been rooting for you since your Etude House days and rooted even harder during your Inheritor days.  So you have just fulfilled my shipping heart’s desire.  You should be like Kim Tan now and say "keep going forward”.  Min Ho and Shin Hye – congratulations!

It has been 12 weeks since the interview was posted.  There were many questions and lots that dealt with their careers.  But the questions about each other and their love for each other were translated into many languages.  They seemed to be more support for the couple than against the couple.  It was a start for them.

Min Ho and Shin Hye were scheduled for the last of their contract photo shoots.  Shin Hye was dragging her heels that morning and Min Ho was on the set waiting for her.  When she didn’t come out of her dressing room he became worried.  She had eaten shrimp at her Eomma’s restaurant the day before and it was still bothering her. 

Min Ho told the director that he would see what was keeping Shin Hye.  He knocked on the door to her dressing room and her wardrobe assistant opened the door.  Min Ho asked where Shin Hye was and Noona told him in the bathroom.  He told her to tell Shin Hye to hurry it up or the production manager would give them bad marks.  At that moment Shin Hye walked out and told Min Ho she would be there as soon as she fixed her make-up.

Shin Hye hurried out and they began the long process of posing and running through different suggestions from the production director.  Shin Hye seemed to be fatigued and looked quite queasy.  Min Ho asked if she needed a break and she told him not unless he did.  They had worked hard for 6 straight hours.  They took mini-breaks when the production staff changed the scenery or they had a change of clothes.  It was an intensely exhausting day.

The two went to Min Ho’s apartment after their shoot.  Shin Hye’s Eomma had Luo Min and she was to pick him up later in the evening.  She felt so tired when they entered the apartment; she lay on the couch and feel asleep. 

Min Ho let her sleep because he knew she didn’t feel well.  Her phone was buzzing and he checked the screen.  It was her Eomma.  He answered the phone and told her Shin Hye was sleeping.  He explained she had felt bad all day and just fell asleep when they came to pick up his stuff.  Her Eomma told him to let her sleep and for her to pick Luo Min up at their house instead of the restaurant. 

He let her sleep another hour and then woke her up.  He told her they needed to go pick up Luo Min at her Eomma’s house.  Shin Hye stood and took 2 steps and fainted.  Min Ho managed to step toward her and caught her.  He lowered her back onto the couch.  He called her Eomma and told her what happened.  She told him to put Shin Hye to bed and tell her Luo Min would spend the night with his grandparents.

Min Ho picked Shin Hye up and took her to his bed.  He slipped her shirt and pants off and put one of his t-shirts on her.  At least she would be comfortable when she slept.  The next morning he heard her throwing up and went to the bathroom.  “Shin Hye are you sick?”

“Oppa, I don’t feel well at all.  I will go to my doctor today if she can see me.”

“Of course you will.  Give me her number and I will schedule the appointment.”

“Oh for goodness sake, I can do these things for myself Oppa.  I am not helpless.  Now go away and let me deal with this please.  I will call you after my appointment.”  The stubborn look on his face does not bode well for her.  “Oppa, you can’t go with me because it will start a scandal.  Park Shin Hye goes to doctor and Lee Min Ho ….. and you can fill in the blanks Oppa because it will be awful.  Now go finish up whatever you have to do today.  Eomma will watch Luo Min and I will call you when I get to Eomma’s after my appointment.  OK? Hummmm?  Oppa stop pouting!”

“Alright, already.  But the minute you are through call me, alright?  Because if you don’t I will come to her office.”

Shin Hye sighed as she made her way to Dr. Gau’s office.  She wished Ying Oppa was still here in Seoul.  Dr. Gau was happy to see Shin Hye and as the nurse took her vital signs, Dr. Gau asked some questions.

“Shin Hye I don’t know exactly what is going on with you because all I see are the crazy news media clips.  You seem to be stressed.  Is all this too much for you?  Do you wish to take a break from the constant gossip?  If so I will prescribe rest.”  She checked the numbers her nurse had written down.  “Hummm, blood pressure is a little low but pulse rate is slightly elevated.  Shin Hye, I am going to have the nurse draw a blood sample.  I want to check your white cell count among other things, so I need you to give me a urine sample also.  I will be back in 20 minutes or so after the samples are taken.  Would you like a magazine?”

Shin Hye shook her head and fished her tablet out of her purse.  “I’m all set, Dr. Gau.  Take your time.  And thank you for seeing me on such short notice.”

Shin Hye finished with the blood and urine samples.  She browsed her social media websites.  Her weibo and twitter accounts were flying.  She couldn’t begin to keep up with all the comments.  Most were good but as always, there were a few who just wouldn’t give in.  Oppa was theirs or no ones and then there were the Oppa belongs to such and such actress because we have been shipping them since 2009 and they were and are in love.  Oppa lives with such and such actress how can you come between them? And it went on ad nauseam.  Sighing at the futility of hope she logged out of her accounts, leaned back on the sofa and dozed off.

Dr. Gau was shaking Shin Hye’s shoulder.  “Wake up Sleeping Beauty!” Dr. Gau quipped.  “Shin Hye, I have some news and how you will take this I am not sure.  I think you will be happy but let’s see ok?”

Shin Hye was wide-awake now.  It was always bad when the words I have some news and not sure how you will take it are said by a health care professional.  “Dr. Gau, I’m ready, go ahead with the verdict.  Am I sick?”

Dr. Gau laughed and said, “Well Shin Hye it all depends on how you define the word ‘sick’.  Now Shin Hye here is what I want you to do……” and Dr. Gau spoke at length to a totally spaced-out Shin Hye.  Shin Hye was thinking, “OMG!”  And she was thinking in capital letters if that helps explain the enormity of the situation.

Shin Hye drove to her Eomma’s restaurant.  She walked inside in a daze.  Luo Min ran to his Eomma and threw his arms around her saying, “Love Eomma.  Love love love!” 

“Ah, how very sweet your son is my daughter.”  Shin Hye’s Eomma said as she beamed grandmother smiles toward Luo Min.  “Shin Hye what did the doctor say?  Are you sick? Or are you just tired?  Come to the office and tell me about it.  Go ahead and I will leave Luo Min with your Appa while I get you some nice relaxing tea.  Go ahead and I will be right there.”

Shin Hye walked into her Eomma’s office and sank down into a nice plushy chair.  She was going to be honest with her Eomma because she was going to need her.  She would deal with Min Ho later today.  She pulled her phone out of her pants pocket and texted, “Oppa, I am through at Dr. Gau’s office.  Everything is fine except for a bit of exhaustion so I will need to rest a bit more.  I will see you in a few hours.  I am at Eomma’s to pick up Luo Min.  Take care today! Love you, Shin Hye.”

Eomma entered the office and sat the tea down.  “Shin Hye, my lovely daughter, drink this tea.  It is a special blend of mine to help relax you.  Now start at the beginning and tell me why you are so down-cast.  What is going on in your life that has you so exhausted?   Spill my daughter!”

And exhausted Shin Hye spilled the beans.  She started at the beginning when those fateful words of Min Ho were so carelessly uttered and went through all the turmoil right up to the doctor’s diagnosis.   She looked down the whole time because she didn’t want to see any disappointment in her Eomma’s eyes.

She looked up and said, “And that’s everything Eomma.  I suppose you are upset and disappointed in me?”

Eomma got up from her chair and leaned over Shin Hye pulling her upright.  She hugged her daughter and put kisses on her forehead.  “Shin Hye my sweet, wonderful, kind and thoughtful daughter just how could I be disappointed in you?  I am disappointed in myself for not speaking up sooner.  I wanted to let you deal with everything because you wanted to figure it out on your own.  My sweet daughter, I have waited for you to tell me so that I can help if you want.  My daughter, no one on this Earth is alone.  There are people who are surrounded by loved ones but cannot see them; there are people who want help or comfort and don’t know how to ask for that help; there are people who don’t want help or decline help; but we are all together on this small planet and we all need each other to one degree or another.  So my daughter, here is my confession to you about you.”

“Shin Hye my sweet, I have known you from the moment I gave birth to you.  You were obstinate and determined from day one.  I have encouraged your spiritual and mental growth.  I wanted to step in so many times but you were like a little spitball always defiant, always seeking and always trying her best.  So how could I interrupt such growth?  I am proud of you and nothing you have said or done will change that.  Now, for my biggest sin - I did not speak out when you told us about Li Ying Ye.  I did not speak out when Luo Min was born and I have said nothing till today.”

"That is possibly my sin to bear because I might have made things different had I spoke up but you are grown and I have no right to dictate your life or life choices.  And now for my confession – what is it?  Shin Hye I know Lee Min Ho is Luo Min’s father.  I have known it since day one.  I knew you were still in love with Min Ho when you brought Ying Ye asking to be married.  I knew it would have taken a serious breach, something so serious between you and Min Ho for you to go to another man.  So I could do nothing but pretend to go along with your decision.  I wanted for you to decide to tell me.  So now that we know all this what did your doctor tell you this morning?”

“Eomma, please don’t be upset and please don’t be shocked, but Eomma I am 8 weeks pregnant.  What should I do?  What should I tell Oppa?  How do I keep Appa from killing Oppa?”

Eomma was laughing.  She hugged Shin Hye and said, “It’s about time you gave Luo Min a baby brother or sister.  You will leave your Appa to me.  You will call your Min Ho Oppa and have him come to a family meeting and dinner.  This part is not a request, this is a demand.  Shin Hye my daughter, your Eomma is going to fix everything and make it right.  Now get on the phone and call Min Ho.  I do like that boy.  He is definitely the best choice for you from the boys that have always flocked around you.  And might I say from a fan viewpoint?  Shin Hye he is definitely the hottest!”

“Eomma!  For shame!  What would Appa say if he heard you?”  Shin Hye was laughing at her Eomma as she hit the #1 button on her cell phone to tell Min Ho he had been summoned.

Shin Hye had been ushered to the small room over the restaurant.  There was a bed upstairs in case an employee was stranded or got ill.  Shin Hye sank down onto the soft comfy bed and as she was drifting off to sleep she wondered how Min Ho would take the news tonight.  Would he be happy or would he panic?  And she fell into a restful sleep for the first time in several weeks.  She was thinking as she dozed off, “It is nice when Eomma is on my side.”