Chapter 27 And a love that defies all odds

Li Luo Min’s Eomma

Min Ho received Shin Hye’s text.  Summoned.  He had been summoned.  Oh God, what does that mean?  Is it her Appa summoning him or maybe her Eomma?  He didn’t know what to make of it.  Last he heard Shin Hye was exhausted and needed rest and now he was summoned to her parent’s restaurant to a meeting.  So should he be concerned?  Aisshhhh! What does this mean?

Min Ho worried for an hour, arguing with himself about what being summoned to her family’s restaurant meant.  Finally he broke down and called his Eomma.  “Eomma, what would it mean if a guy gets summoned to a meeting with a girl he likes – well if her parents summon him to a meeting?”

Eomma, “It usually means they want to arrange a marriage.  Min Ho, have you been summoned by a girl’s parents?  But you can’t do this.  Aren’t you in love with Shin Hye?  Son, what have you been up to?”

Min Ho chuckled at the frantic sound in his Eomma’s voice, “Eomma, it is Shin Hye’s parents who have summoned me.”

“Oh, Ahhh, perhaps they found out about Luo Min?  Perhaps they are upset with this news? Oh my I should inform your Appa about this.  Bye dear.  Let us know what it is about.”

Min Ho looked at the disconnected line.  Well, he thought that was a big help. 

Min Ho did not want to hide and sneak into Shin Hye’s Eomma’s restaurant.  So he walked through the front entrance much to the delight of patrons inside and those outside lingering while taking pictures of the front of the restaurant.  He let a few take pictures with him standing in front of the sign. 

Shin Hye was watching for him and as soon as he came through the door she grabbed his elbow leading him to a private room.  “Oppa, don’t let anything that my parents say upset you.  I have news for you but I am afraid it will be upstaged by Eomma making noise about us.  Ignore my Appa and Oppa.  That is if they say something.  Mean or the like.  Just ignore them.  Ok?”

Shin Hye rattled on for a few seconds.  What really concerned him was he understood everything she said perfectly; choppy sentences and all.

They were in a room and it was empty.  Min Ho looked at her flushed face and pulled her close.  He put his finger under her chin, tilted her face up and kissed her, softly, slowly and seductively.  She responded and when he pulled them apart she was smiling. 

“Now first things first, what is the news you have for me?  I want to know before anyone else enters this room.  Shin Hye sit down and tell me.  Start from the beginning and tell me what your doctor found out.”

Shin Hye told him to sit.  “Now Oppa don’t be upset and just think about it before you say anything.  First I didn’t plan this but – well – uhhhh – oh hell – I am just going to say it straight out.  Oppa, I am 8 weeks pregnant and you are the father.  Now there I said it and what are you thinking?”

She said that because he had a blank look on his face.  Slowly a big smile spread across his face.  He stood and picked her up and held her close to his chest.  “Ah my love, I am pleased beyond all reason. This is wonderful news.  So now you will have to listen to me.  It will be a first but this is important.”  He sat her down and knelt beside her.  “Shin Hye I don’t want to pressure you or anything like that and I would love to do an event for you and do this in front of all your fans, friends and family but time is of the essence.  Shin Hye, I, Lee Min Ho am asking you to please marry me.  Please marry me so my child will have a proper name.  Please marry me so I can still my heart.  I want to be with you every waking moment but I can’t so please marry me and put me out of the limbo of uncertainty I live in.  I love you Shin Hye.  I love our son and I will love our new baby.  But more than anything I just want to live with you because there will never be another woman that makes my heart feel the way you make it feel.  There will never be another woman that makes my body respond the way you make my body respond and Shin Hye I love you.  Will you marry me?”

Shin Hye took his face in her hands, leaned forward and softly kissed him.  He felt the fever slowly build inside the way he always felt when he was near her or when they kissed.  He was telling the truth when he said no other woman ever made him respond the way she did.  All she had to do was look at him with those big doe eyes and he went blank.   His instinct was to put his arms around her so no one else would come close to her.  She pulled away from him and looking into his gorgeous eyes that always set her soul on fire she said, “Yes.  I want to marry you and spend eternity with you.  I want to be with you as our children grow and have children.  I want to be there to encourage you and to support you.  I, Park Shin Hye, love you Lee Min Ho.  I love you with my soul, heart and mind.  I will marry you.  But Oppa, I have one tiny little request.  Oppa, the baby clock is ticking so can we speed up the time table.  I want to be able to attend my wedding before I go to the maternity ward.”

Min Ho laughed at her feeble attempt to lighten the mood.  “Yah, Shin Hye we can always get married in the delivery room.”  And with that the two held each other tight.  They were happy and content.  All other matters didn’t really mean anything at that moment.  No matter what situation faced them, they would face it together.

There was a knock on the door and people poured in.  Min Ho released his hold on Shin Hye but not her hand.  He held it tight.  Shin Hye’s parents and brother sat down.  Then to his surprise his parents and sister came in and sat down.  Shin Hye’s Eomma said, “Well we can’t have a family meeting if all the family is not here.  So I take it Shin Hye has told you the news?”

Min Ho shook his head yes.  Eomma, “Would you like to tell your parents the news?”  Min Ho shook his head yes.

“Eomma, Appa, Yun Kyung, I have some news for you.  Shin Hye and I are going to be parents again.  She is 8 weeks pregnant so a wedding if of the upmost importance.  I apologize for the situation but refuse to apologize for my love of Shin Hye.  I love her pure and simple and that is that.  I have asked her to marry me and she has said yes.  I am now formally asking Shin Hye’s family, may I marry Shin Hye?”

Shin Hye’s father cleared his throat.  “Young man, even though you love my daughter and are about to become a father, I fault you putting the cart before the horse.  But young man, if you can promise to do your best to be the kind of husband my daughter wants then I give you permission.  And I would say we need to speed up the wedding as fast as possible.  Oh yes, congratulations.”

Shin Hye’s mother was wiping her eyes and her brother had a solemn not sold yet look on his face.

His family was smiling.  His sister was doing a thumbs-up sign at both Min Ho and Shin Hye. 

So the meeting was over and he had not been slain or even yelled at….all in all it was not a bad evening.  They had a large celebration dinner after the meeting and Shin Hye and Luo Min went home with Min Ho.

Shin Hye called Ying Oppa the next day to tell him what was going on.  He was happy and sad for her.  He told her he needed to tell his parents she was getting married.  She asked if he would allow her to tell them.  He told her sad as the situation would be she could not divulge Luo Min’s parentage.  He would get the adoption paper work started and Min Ho could formally adopt Luo Min.  It wasn’t the most ideal of situations but it was a solution that would not cause Luo Min or for that matter Min Ho problems in the future.  He told her they could tell Luo Min the truth when he was old enough to handle it if they wished.  Ying Ye congratulated her and told her she had to invite him and Zhi Oppa to the wedding even if just to quell rumors and make Min Ho’s life easier.

Shin Hye called Father and Mother Li.  She asked if Luo Min and she might visit them.  Father Li told her they would be in Seoul the next day and would they please join them for dinner. A time was set.

The next evening Shin Hye dressed with care.  She made sure Luo Min looked every inch a young gentleman.  She was nervous but she was not a coward.  She bought a bouquet of flowers for Luo Min to give Mother Li. 

Shin Hye and Luo Min arrived exactly on time.  Father Li said be there at 6 pm so they were there at 6 pm.  Shin Hye asked the clerk at the front desk of Seoul’s premiere hotel to inform Mr. Li his guests had arrived.  The clerk signaled a bell boy to take them to a private dining room.  Mother Li stood and approached Shin Hye.  She hugged her and told her how happy she was to see her.  And then she looked at Luo Min and tears pooled in her eyes.  Luo Min stepped forward and handed the bouquet of flowers to Mother Li.  Luo Min said, “Flowers for you Mother Li.  I love you.”

The Li’s were heartbroken that Ying Ye and Shin Hye were not together and they saw so little of Luo Min.  Shanghai was too far for such a small boy to travel without an ; being one of the world’s richest children put him at risk for traveling.  One day perhaps he would be able to visit and spend time with them. 

“Mother Li, Father Li thank you for inviting Luo Min and I to dinner.  We are honored.  How have you been?  Luo Min has been exceptionally well.  He is learning to read already.”

They chatted during dinner and everything was fine.  Father Li cleared his throat after dinner and said, “Shin Hye we think we know the reason you wanted to see us.  I tried to contact Ying Ye but he is not answering his phone calls or text messages.  So, I will get right to the point, I saw on TV that Lee Min Ho wishes to marry you.  Is this true?”

“Father Li, Mother Li, and yes it is true.  I wish to ask your permission first.  I wanted to let you know before we make it official.  I owe you this advance notice at the least.  I do want your permission.  I am so sorry that things did not work out for Ying Oppa and I but that is life.  I have moved on as Ying Oppa wanted me too.  Please, give me your blessings so that I can move on with no burdens.”

Father and Mother Li looked at each other and then at Luo Min.  “Shin Hye,” Father Li said, “what of Luo Min?”

Shin Hye, “Father Li, I can assure you that Min Ho will treat Luo Min as if he were his own.  I would never be involved with anyone that does not treat Luo Min as he should be treated.  I can promise you that.”

The Li parents looked at Shin Hye.  Father Li said, “Shin Hye we trust you.  I have had Min Ho investigated because of the time he was spending with you and Luo Min.  I did not delve deeply into his past just how he acted around you and Luo Min.  The reports state that he is an excellent fellow.  It states that he treats you well and that he is trustworthy.  I believe this too.  So Mother and I give you our blessings.  But please make sure in the future we get to see Luo Min.”

“Father and Mother Li, there are 2 more things I feel I should tell you.  I don’t want you of all people to be shocked by any gossip or news.  I am pregnant.  I hope this doesn’t disturb you.  I am getting married not because I am pregnant but because I am in love with Min Ho and want to spend the rest of my days with him.  Please forgive me for this.  And Ying Ye Oppa has suggested Min Ho adopt Luo Min.  He wants Luo Min to feel like part of the family his brother or sister will be part of and again I ask your permission first.”

The Li parents were devastated.  It was on their faces.  Shin Hye was taking a big gamble by telling them this and by asking their permission.  It would be highly unusual for such a person as Mr. Li to allow his grandson to be adopted.  But Mr. Li had grown over the past few years.  He had to learn to adapt to Ying Ye’s lifestyle and the fact that his son and daughter-in-law divorced.  In years past he would have exerted money and power fighting to gain custody of Luo Min.  But that was a yesterday gone by and he was different now.

“Shin Hye,” said Mother Li, “I will agree with one stipulation.  If you will allow one week every summer during school break for us to visit with Luo Min then I will agree.  Is this possible?”

Shin Hye smiled and stood to go around the table and hug Mother Li.  “Mother Li,” Shin Hye said, “I was going to suggest the exact same thing but I had in mind at least 2 weeks.  Perhaps Ying Ye can join you occasionally?”

And with that the Li’s agreed to Shin Hye’s marriage to Lee Min Ho. 

It was a hectic time.  Min Ho and Shin Hye had called a press conference.  They announced their forthcoming marriage and although Shin Hye was somewhat reluctant to announce her pregnancy, Min Ho wanted it out there for every man who might have thought she wasn’t claimed to hear it and know.  So they had answered questions left and right.  The general consensus was a happy feeling for two of the most popular stars in South Korea, nee Asia.  And then Min Ho said, “I have something else to announce.  This is a bit of news that I am particularly pleased about and really want the world to know.  Are you ready for this?  I, Lee Min Ho, am about to become a father.  Shin Hye and I are expecting a baby in six and a half months from now.  We hope you wish us well for both our upcoming marriage and for the upcoming birth of our child.  Thank you and I am going to take my very pregnant wife-to-be home now.  Thank you for coming to our press conference.”

And they left to go home.  The social media sites were buzzing – the reviews were mostly good but there would always be those few who would never agree with anyone for Min Ho.  But for once, neither Shin Hye nor Min Ho cared. 

The wedding was the dream of all little girls and big girls for that matter.  Shin Hye was glowing with pregnancy.  She wore an off-the-shoulders ivory silhouette wedding gown.  She was not showing yet but she seemed to be ier and more glamorous.  She was beautiful and there were no other words for it.  She wore her hair up in a soft chignon with a small diamond and pearl hair comb Father and Mother Li gave her.  Even though this was Lee Min Ho’s first and only wedding, it was Shin Hye’s second and in keeping with traditions the wedding was scaled down somewhat.  It was still lavish with fresh flowers and decorations but the wedding party itself was smaller.  Soo Jin and Yun Kyung were the bridesmaids while JaeJoong and Kim Bum were their escorts.  II Woo was best man and Se Young was maid-of-honor.  Luo Min gave her away.  He was very conscious of his role and was very careful that he held his Eomma’s hand correctly while they walked down the aisle toward his Appa.  When they reached his Appa Luo Min carefully put his Eomma’s hand in his Appa’s hand and smiled.  He turned and looked out at everyone and smiled.  It was a breathtaking photo opportunity.  It was so obvious how much Min Ho and Luo Min looked like each other but few people had remarked about it.  It was probably because of the resemblance between Min Ho and Ying Ye.  Shin Hye and Min Ho sailed through the ceremony.  Words to describe how they looked could only be magnificent.  When the minister told Min Ho he could kiss his bride, he took her into his arms and held her against him.  He put his hand on the back of her nape and pulled her toward him.  His lips settled on hers and their eyes closed and a huge sigh came from the women among the guests.  He released a smiling Shin Hye and they looked into each other’s eyes full of hope and promise for the future.

It was three weeks to Shin Hye’s due date.  She had been closely monitored due to the birth defect Min Ho carried.  This time she was lucky and there were no problems.  But the real issue was the fact that she was carrying twins, a boy and a girl.  Luo Min was too excited.  He constantly watched over his Eomma because he was afraid.  He had overheard a conversation about how dangerous it was for his Eomma to carry his baby brother and sister and he wanted to make sure his Eomma, brother and sister were alright. Shin Hye was sitting outside enjoying the weather when she felt a pain.  Aiisshhh, she thought, it is too early.  She told Luo Min to go and get his Appa.  Min Ho came as soon as Luo Min told him Eomma did not feel well.  Min Ho took one look and called Shin Hye’s Eomma to meet them at the hospital.  He called her doctor next.  He gently assisted Shin Hye into the car; he told Luo Min his job was to make sure his Eomma’s bag did not get lost.  Luo Min was excited.  He was happy that he would be a big brother and have a brother and sister to boss around. 

Shin Hye was in the delivery room.  She was scheduled for a Caesarean delivery no matter when she was admitted.  Min Ho had paced the halls surrounding the delivery room and he was frantic.  His parents and Shin Hye’s parents were present.  The Li’s had called and wished him well.  They wanted to be informed when Shin Hye was out of danger. 

Min Ho had drank too much coffee and paced too much.  The Parks and Lees were in a private VIP waiting room but Min Ho couldn’t just sit or stand.  He was a nervous wreck.  He wasn’t listening to anyone.  The door opened and a nurse came in and told Min Ho to follow her.  He was up and out the door before anyone could speak to him.  The mothers in the room smiled at the eagerness of a young father.

Min Ho entered the room the nurse disappeared into – she stopped and handed him a gown and mask to put on.  The nurse helped by tying the gown in the back.  She told him to follow her.  He followed her into the delivery room.  Shin Hye was awake but numb and a partition obscured her stomach area from his view.  Dr. Gau said hello and told him to sit on the chair next to Shin Hye’s head and to hold her hand.  Dr. Gau told him to not be squeamish no matter what he saw.  He nodded yes.  Dr. Gau told her crew to continue.  Min Ho couldn’t see what Dr. Gau was doing but he basically knew because he had read about the subject.  He wanted to know everything about the subject because he wanted to know what Shin Hye faced.  Min Ho looked at the IV in her arm and felt her squeeze his hand.  He smiled at her and mouthed the words, “I love you.”

Shin Hye was calm.  How could she be so calm when this is happening to her?  Min Ho wasn’t queasy or anything like that because in fact he couldn’t see anything.  Shin Hye squeezed his hand again because she could see the panic building up in his eyes.  She didn’t want him to feel bad about this – it couldn’t be helped.  She was anxious to see her babies.  She held Min Ho’s hand and prayed. 

Min Ho watched the serene and calm expression on his lady’s face and marveled at how she could always handle any situation.  He was a nervous wreck and he was scared. He was scared for Shin Hye and for his babies.  His babies – what a thought!  Dr. Gau was suctioning the amniotic fluid out and talking to the nurse waiting to receive the first baby, clean baby #1 up and place in an incubator.  Dr. Gau told Min Ho she was cutting the umbilical cord of a baby boy, baby # 1.  She handed the baby to the nurse standing beside Shin Hye.  The nurse held the baby up so Shin Hye and Min Ho could see him and then immediately placed him on a table to suction the excess mucus from his respiratory tract.  She placed him in an incubator as soon as she weighed and measured him.  

Dr. Gau said, “Here is your baby girl, Min Ho.  Isn’t she a beauty?”  She handed the baby girl to the nurse who held her up just long enough for them to see her.  She was cleaned, weighed, measured and placed in an incubator. 

Min Ho squeezed Shin Hye’s hand and when she looked at him he said, “Thank you for my lovely children.  Thank you for putting up with me and thank you for loving me.”  He leaned down and kissed her lightly.  The doctor was stitching her up and he didn’t want to cause Shin Hye any problems.

Dr. Gau told Shin Hye she needed Min Ho to step out so she could finish cleaning her up.  She promised Min Ho he could see Shin Hye in a few minutes.  She would be moved to the recovery room and he would be notified as soon as she was ready.  In the meantime, Dr. Gau suggested he go and inform the anxious grandparents about their new grandchildren.

Min Ho stripped the gown and mask off and strode down the hall.  To say he was excited would be an understatement.  He opened the door to the waiting room and everyone looked up to see who entered.  The grandparents stood and approached him.

He held his hand up and said, “Shin Hye is fine.  She is on her way to recovery.  She is an amazing woman and I do believe she could face and survive anything.  So as of now we have 2 new additions to our growing family.  The oldest twin is a baby boy and his little sister is exactly one minute younger.  They are beautiful and I can’t wait for you to meet them.” 

His delight was evident and the relief in the room was palatable.  Min Ho told them the hospital would let him know as soon as Shin Hye was ready for visitors.  They chatted for a minute and he checked to make sure he had his camera to take pictures of his new son and daughter.  The hospital videotaped the delivery so there would be pictures of the two new arrivals from that perspective but those would not be available for public viewing. 

Dr. Gau knocked and entered the room.  “Hello,” she said.  “Min Ho you can now visit your lovely wife and as soon as you wish you can view your new family members.  Grandparents you can also view the new family members from the nursery window.  Congratulations.  Min Ho, may I speak to you outside?”

Dr. Gau saw the panic in his eyes and the grandparents’ eyes.  “I’m sorry, there is nothing wrong.  Shin Hye and her lovely babies are fine.  I need to talk to Min Ho along with our public relations officer about a public announcement reporting the birth of twins to Lee Min Ho and Park Shin Hye.  This is news that we need to release so there is no misinformation released.  I’m sorry if I alarmed anyone.”  Dr. Gau was apologetic and contrite.  Min Ho let out a breath of relief and followed her out of the room.  The Public Relations officer, Dr. Sanmone was waiting for them.

Dr. Sanmone said, “Congratulations.  We have a conference room set up and the press is there.  Once news got out that Park Shin Hye was in labor, news reporters started arriving.  We would like to clear them out and this will only happen if Lee Min Ho will announce the birth of his twins; if you don’t mind?”

Min Ho told Dr. Gau and Dr. Sanmone that he did not mind and would be glad to participate in the impromptu news release.  Min Ho followed Dr. Gau into the conference room and they sat at a table in front.  Min Ho was all smiles and the cameras clicked away.  Dr. Sanmone spoke into his microphone saying, “Thank you for waiting.  It has been a long day for Lee Min Ho and his family.  Mr. Lee will now speak to you.”

Min Ho looked tired but happy.  He said, “Hello everyone and thank you for waiting.  I would like to announce the arrival of my twins.  Twin number 1 is a baby boy weighing 2861.3 grams (6 lbs 5 oz.).  He is 53.34 centimeters long (21 inches) and has a head of black hair.  Twin number 2 is a baby girl weighing 2381.4 grams (5 lbs. 4 oz.). She is 50.8 centimeters long (20 inches).  She also has a head of black hair.  The baby boy looks a lot like me but also has a cleft chin like his mother.  The baby girl looks like Shin Hye.  I think I am the luckiest Dad in the world.  We do have names picked out but I will allow Shin Hye to announce those.  Thank you and now I have a family to visit.”

The news channels carried Min Ho’s press conference.  There were web sites debating what the Lees would name their new twins.  It was a circus but Min Ho, Shin Hye, Luo Min and the twins could care less.

Shin Hye was in the hospital for 5 days.  The day she went home another press conference was held and Shin Hye announced the names of their twins.  The twins would go home in another 5 days if all went well.  They were healthy babies.

Shin Hye was in a wheel-chair being wheeled out to the waiting van.  A small table and microphone had been set-up in the lobby of the hospital.  Min Ho was pushing Shin Hye and he stopped at the table.  The lobby was filled with reporters, staff and visitors.  Shin Hye said, “Thank you for being so kind about our twins.  We are happy and will do well.  Please think kindly of us.  We appreciate all the flowers, cards and well-wishes our many fans have sent.  I would like to announce the names of our new family members.  Our son and daughter’s names have been approved by their big brother, Luo Min.  Our son’s name is Lee Chin Ho and means precious and goodness.  Our daughter’s name is Lee Eun Mi and means grace and beautiful.               .

Thank you again and please pray for our family.  Please send your love our way.  We are sending our love your way.  Good bye for now.”

And the new parents and Luo Min went home.  They would bring Chin Ho and Eun Mi home in another five days.  That is when big brother Luo Min’s real job would begin.  The new family was healthy and happy.  Shin Hye’s fans grew to love Min Ho and were happy for her.  The majority of Min Ho’s fans were happy for him and excited that he finally found the love of his life.  They were happy that he now had the children he had wished for and the wife he wanted.  It was a new beginning for the young couple and the life they wished to live was finally theirs – all the misunderstandings, heartaches and heartbreaks were but memories of the past.  They had new memories to make and planned on making the most of this new life that was so promising.

The End

A/N:  Thank you for sticking with me.  I truly enjoyed writing this and am starting a new MinShin fiction titled, “My Heart’s Desire”.      http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/734924