Chapter 24 Just a little time will make a difference

Li Luo Min’s Eomma

Min Ho’s POV:

Why is she not answering?  I have left a half dozen messages and nothing.  So that means I can call her Manager Jun Oppa or I can call her Ying Oppa.  I will go with her manager.  So I call and what do I get – a cold shoulder.  What the hell does this mean?  I can’t just go to Brazil.  Manager Jun said she would be home in 7 days time and perhaps I should let her have some time to deal with this.  Deal with what?  What is going on with everyone?  I am suddenly being looked at like I have grown another arm or leg or something.  I need to talk to Shin Hye damn it – damn it.

Min Ho dropped by his parents for dinner.  His Eomma had called him that day and told him to come to dinner.  He was tired and dropped onto the sofa to take a quick nap while his Eomma finished fixing dinner.  Yun Kyung was in a hurry and was telling her Eomma that she would only be gone for 45 minutes and to save some dinner for her.  She turned and saw Oppa on the sofa.  She walked over and hit his shoulder.  He looked up at her and said, “What?”

She hit his shoulder again and said, “Stupid. You. Are. Stupid.”  He looked puzzled and shrugged.  She turned back to him after his shrug.  “Did you think about moving on or did you just do it on the spur of the moment?  Did you even think about your son?  Or did you decide it was too much worry or too much something?  I don’t understand you Oppa and I don’t think I want to.”  She looked at her Eomma and said, “Forget dinner, I don’t want to be here with stupid.”

Min Ho sat up and turned to his Eomma saying, “What on earth is going on?  What does she mean did I think about my son?  Eomma, what is she talking about?”

His Eomma shook her head and said, “Son for a smart man you are rather dense at times.  Play the record of your pre-show venue.  I recorded it.  I think it will make more sense if you know what we know.”

So he picked up the remote and selected the recorded programs.  He selected his pre-premiere show.  He watched himself being bored and then saw the way he looked at Hye Kho.  But the way he looked at her was like he was madly deeply in love and desired her.  What the hell?  How did this happen?  He wasn’t in love or desiring her.  He was in love with Shin Hye.  So now he understood the cold shoulder from Shin Hye and her manager.  He had to make this right but how?  And another person was now involved.  Song Hye Kho, did she also think he liked her?  Why hadn’t his manager mentioned how he looked at her?  What a fricking mess. 

Shin Hye’s POV:

Where do I go with my feelings now?  I think I would like to go to the ends of the world and stay there – just Luo Min and me – no one else.  Why do I feel so helpless?  I am not someone that needs pity or oh hell – I am pitiful.  I need to make a phone call because first I need to see if the place at the end of the world is available for a couple of weeks.  Life – it really does !

Shin Hye pulled a small, much worn address booklet out of her travel bag.  She didn’t keep all her phone numbers in her cell phone in case she should ever lose it.  She didn’t want a stranger getting access to some very popular stars and idols through her carelessness.  She found the number she was hunting for and dialed.  She didn’t know if he still had her number or not.  She would just have to wing it and hope he did answer. 

The number rang twice and was answered.  A man’s deep impeccable English voice said, “Shin Hye?  Is this really Shin Hye?”

Shin Hye gave a short laugh and said, “Hello my friend, how are you these days?  I am sorry to just ring you up out of the blue like this but I need your help.  Don’t feel bad if you can’t and don’t worry if you don’t want to.  I will understand.”

“Shin Hye, I have seen your name in the news quite a bit lately.  Are you alright after it died down?  I apologize for not calling and checking but figured you might not want a name from the past showing up too.  How can I help you ‘yeppun yoja’?  You didn’t think I had forgotten did you?  You wound me deeply yeppun yoja – very deeply.”

“Aiiissshhhh you haven’t changed at all.  But I will fix that wound with some stinky stinging yucky medicine again so don’t tempt me!!!” Her tinkling sweet laugh filtered through the phone to grab his heart again.  Ahhh, he thought, she will always have this affect on me, always. 

“Yeppun yoja, just name what you want me to do and I will help you or find a way to help you.  I remember our promises too.”

“Phillip, by any chance do you still have your yacht at Busan Marina?”

“Uh, Yeppun yoja are you by chance needing my yacht?  Who will pilot? And no way and no how am I allowing you to have a love tryst on my yacht.”

“Oppa, I desperately need to drop off the face of the earth – literally.  I would love to use it for 2 weeks only.  And I need a yachtsman.  Is it doable?  If not don’t worry because I always find another way.  But my silent dearest friend I thank you for all you have done for me.”

He answered back, “Give me a half hour and I will call you back with answers, OK?  This is a secret right?  Just so I know and don’t let info out.  Half hour – wait for it.”

Now she just waited.  He wouldn’t let her down – he never did.  He was – well very special – if he had not been too old for her and she had not been in love with Min Ho and had she not friend-zoned him from the start – well just well.

It was only 15 minutes when he called her back.  “Yeppun yoja, it is all done.  You have a choice of yachtsman, a friend of mine or me.  You pick and no hard feelings if you don’t choose me.”

“Yah, Kwang-Hoon, are you still on break?  Are you going to be on break forever?  Sorry, that was not called for – but I still worry about you.  If I have my choice, I will take you.  You know how to be discreet and have never told my secrets before but Oppa, are you sure you can spare 2 weeks?  I may be moody and distant also.”

“Is your son coming too?  I need to add some extra supplies if he is.  And Shin Hye, be careful, I don’t know what you are running from but I am here to help you.  I don’t want it to turn into something unpleasant for you should paparazzi discover you are with me.”

“Oppa, haven’t you heard?  I am a single woman now.  I can be seen wherever and with whomever I wish.  Don’t worry Oppa I won’t destroy your reputation.”

“Silly yeppun yoja, like being seen with you would destroy my reputation; it would be more like making my reputation.  I can see the headlines now, ‘Gorgeous Park Shin Hye looks with favor on lowly actor Lee Kwang Hoon.  Ah, yeppun yoja, what fun we had but I will always prize you as my best friend forever.  I will text you the arrangements once you let me know when you want to push off from shore.  Now I have to run because my manager is here pointing to his watch.  I have the next 6 weeks free and will fill you in when I see you.  Bye while sending much love to you my Yeppun yoja.”

Shin Hye smiled at her fond memories of Kwang Hoon aka Phillip Lee.  She met him in 2012 while visiting her friend, Park Se Young on the set of Faith.  She spoke briefly to Min Ho that day but he ignored her.  She remembered feeling the hurt of rejection but she thought she covered it so well.  She talked for 30 to 35 minutes with Se Young and other cast members.  She rode with two other friends that came to visit Se Young so she had to wait till they were ready to leave.  She saw him flirting with a cast member and she thought perhaps she was a fool and always would be one.  She excused herself to go to the ladies room.  The drama was filming at a beautiful garden and she stepped out to gather her thoughts when a man sitting on a bench said, “It’s always the hardest when a heart isn’t ready to let go.”

She remembered jumping.  He scared her.  She knew who he was but they had never been formally introduced.  His character was the physician in Faith.  He stood and apologized for blurting out such words.  He said, “Let me introduce myself and please forgive my lacking manners.  My name is Lee Kwang Hoon and my American English name is Phillip Lee.  You may call me by either name but there is more than one Lee Kwang Hoon in Korea and only one Phillip Lee.  I would be honored if you accept my apology.  Please once again forgive my forwardness.”

Shin Hye took in the dignified looking man.  She didn’t know how old he was but he looked to be a few years older than Min Ho.  She stuck her hand out and said, “No apology necessary. Hi, I am Park Shin Hye.  I am pleased to meet you.”

They shook hands and a friendship blossomed.  It was strange that no one ever paid attention to the times she had dinner out with Phillip.  She had even visited him after his eyes were hurt during the filming of Faith.  Perhaps the paparazzi were negligent on those days.  But he was a good friend and she had not talked to him since before her pregnancy.  They always teased each other as if they had a crush on each other but they didn’t – not really.  Phillip was much like Hong Ki.  No romance just friendship.  They had bonded to each other from the first hello and would always be friends.  She trusted him to allow her to sort through her jumbled thoughts while being near to protect and help. 

She sent a text telling him she would be in Korea in six more days.  Should she meet him at the Busan Marina?  She knew they would head south to warm waters so she would pack for both types of weather – early spring in Korea and summer farther south.  She received a return text stating for her to remember sun block and her bikini … and then a smiley face and hahaha.  She thought swimming in the ocean would be nice and I can introduce Luo Min to ocean swimming.  But would it be ok for her to wear a bikini?  Well, maybe it was time she started acting single again. 

The week passed quickly and she thought there won’t be any fans waiting for her at the airport because she was just making a comeback.  She had lost fans when she dropped out to have Luo Min and figured it would take time to regain them if she ever did.  But when she started through the doors into the main airport lobby there were signs welcoming her home.  She was holding Luo Min’s hand and the cameras were flashing.  Shin Hye waved and kept going.  She glanced down and almost stopped.  Luo Min was waving.  He looked so much like Min Ho that she was waiting for the questions to be thrown at her.  The questions never came.  Manager Jun spoke softly stating her fan club wished to give her flowers.  She told him yes it was fine.  As the representative for her fan club stepped out to give the flowers to her Luo Min stood beside her.  A little girl was standing almost directly opposite him clinging to her Eomma’s leg.  Luo Min reached up and took a flower out of his Eomma’s bouquet and walked over to the little girl and handed her the flower.  He said, “Don’t be afraid.  My Eomma is nice.”  He walked back to his Eomma’s side and stood there smiling the biggest cheesiest smile ever.  The cameras and the crowd loved him.  By that afternoon his photo handing the little girl a flower would be all over the internet and on entertainment media.

Min Ho scanned the social media sights for news of Shin Hye.  He was giving her that distance she needed but he didn’t like it.  He had sent a text message asking for a meeting to explain what she saw on TV.  He would have a hell of a time explaining what he didn’t understand himself but he knew he had to try.  His future was on the line.

He was watching a fan posted video of Shin Hye and Luo Min at the airport.  God he missed them.  And Luo Min – what a little heartbreaker he was going to be – Min Ho had to admire his son’s cheekiness. 

Shin Hye texted Phillip stating she would be at the Park Hyatt Busan until she heard from him.  She would come to him when he was ready to sail. 

Phillip sent Shin Hye a text stating for her to come to the Sooyoungman Marina in Haeundae on Wednesday.  I’m with BESA - Busan Expat Sailing Club.  Our clubhouse is located in the southwest corner of the marina behind the dinghies.  Meet me there any time after 10 am.  See you.

Shin Hye was at the Hyatt and thought Luo Min and she could venture out the next day on Tuesday to catch some of the local sights.  She would take him to the Children’s Art Exhibit downtown.  She just wanted to fill every waking moment with activity so she didn’t have to think about Min Ho and Hye Kho.  She had yet to wrap her thoughts around the way Min Ho looked at Hye Kho.  She wasn’t ready to think about it at least not yet.  So she would fill every moment of every minute with activity until she was far at sea and could sit and think. 

Luo Min was exhausted when Shin Hye finally laid him down for the night.  She set her alarm to ring at 8 am so she could feed Luo Min before they grabbed a taxi to the marina.  She took 2 melatonin tablets to help her go to sleep.  She didn’t want to dream and if she did she didn’t want to remember the dreams.

The next morning after an early breakfast and change of clothes Shin Hye and Luo Min had the front desk call a taxi.  She had 2 pieces of luggage.  She didn’t require a lot of changes of clothes and shoes like some women.  She liked to travel light.  The driver came in and one of the doormen carried her luggage to the taxi.  She tried to tip him but he refused.  He told her she was an inspiration to young women.  He told her to fight tough and stay strong.  She hugged him and got into the cab.  The other doorman said, “Was that Park Shin Hye?”

The first door man replied, “Yes it was.  Did you see her hug me?  Do you know how many famous people stay here on an average every year?  Do you know how many act toward the regular employees like she does?  She treats us like real people not like someone beneath her because we work these sorts of jobs.  She is one in a million and I hope only the best for her.”

The taxi took her right to the edge of the marina and the cabbie told her how to get to the BESA club house.  She gave him a generous tip for taking the time to help her get her luggage into the marina headquarters.  The girl there said the luggage would be safe until she picked it up.  Shin Hye took Luo Min’s hand and they headed toward the southwest corner of the marina.

She went pass the row of dinghies and saw the club house.  There were a couple of guys out front when she stopped and asked if she were in the right location.  One of them was in the process of flirting when Phillip walked up behind Shin Hye.  He shouted at the guy and told him to stop.  Then he yelled at Shin Hye, “My yeppun yoja!  Yah, what are you doing standing there? Don’t you see me?”

Shin Hye laughed out loud and ran to Phillip and threw herself toward him.  He caught her and twirled her around.  He set her down and kissed her cheek.  “Ah, Shin Hye how are you?  You are as beautiful as ever.  And is this your son?”

Shin Hye turned toward Luo Min and said, “Luo Min meet Eomma’s good friend, Phillip Lee.  We will be going on a boat with Eomma’s friend.  Is that alright with you Luo Min?”

Luo Min was taking his time looking at Phillip.  He looked him up and down.  He turned and looked at his Eomma and then back to Phillip.  He walked over to Phillip and stuck his small hand out to shake.  Phillip looked with a raised eyebrow at Shin Hye who shrugged her shoulders.  Phillip put his hand over Luo Min’s hand and they shook hands.  Luo Min said, “Ajeossi, my name is Li Luo Min.  Eomma likes my Appa bestest.”

Phillip looked at Shin Hye and mouthed Ajeossi?  Yikes.  To Luo Min he said, “It is nice to meet you Li Luo Min.  You may call me Ajeossi.  I bet your Eomma does like your Appa best.  And that is alright because your Eomma is my friend.  Now are you ready to go see my yacht?”

And just like that Phillip hoisted Luo Min up onto his shoulders and with Shin Hye trailing behind they headed toward his slip to check out his yacht.  On beautiful days like that day paparazzi liked to hang out where the rich and famous often spent time.  Sometimes they hit a jackpot but most often not.  That day one lone paparazzi hit the jackpot.  He caught a dozen beautiful pictures of Phillip Lee, Park Shin Hye and Park Shin Hye’s son, Li Luo Min acting very cozy and boarding Phillip Lee’s yacht.  The paparazzi guy hung around long enough to see the hired help retrieve Shin Hye’s luggage and to see the yacht leave with just the three of them on board.  He went to the office to see if Phillip Lee filed a destination for his yacht ‘Beautiful Girl’.  The posted destination was to Taiwan then to the Philippines. 

That evening gossip sites were full of the pictures of Shin Hye, Luo Min and Phillip Lee.  There were pictures of Lee twirling Shin Hye around and then hugging her, pictures of Luo Min sitting on Phillip Lee’s shoulders, pictures of them boarding the yacht and leaving.   Shin Hye and Phillip had no idea the pictures were out there.  Shin Hye hadn’t wanted any connection with the outside world and Phillip had granted her wish.  The social media sites were full of rumors.  Some stated she had married Phillip Lee, some stated she was in love and going on a secret love tryst with Lee and one sight even suggested Phillip Lee was Luo Min’s father.  Min Ho was in a horrible state of mind but he continued checking the sites for any sightings of the three.

For the first week they sailed south.  They stopped along the way to the Philippines to fish and bask in the sun.  They ate and played games.  They swam in the ocean and they sat up late at night talking.  Phillip wasn’t worried about hijackers or pirates.  He might have agreed to not have the internet or phones ringing and disturbing Shin Hye but his yacht was loaded with security.  If anyone came within a mile of his yacht he would be notified.  Being rich was a bonus being the son of a rich man meant a whole new level of bonus.  Shin Hye was blissfully unaware of the need for security from the sort of predators Phillip knew existed on the open water they sailed.

The first week they docked in Taiwan, did a bit of shopping and ate at a restaurant one of Phillip’s friends owned.   Shin Hye was visiting the open air markets searching for gifts for family and friends.  Phillip kept Luo Min occupied while Shin Hye shopped.  They were having fun while ignoring the world.  Shin Hye and Phillip signed some autographs while roaming around the open air market stalls.  Their fans were sweet and made sure they felt comfortable.  They finally reached their destination at the northern tip of the Philippines.  Phillip’s father owned a villa located in Pagudpud. They would spend at least one day and night at the villa, visit the Blue Lagoon and use the second week to return to Busan.  Shin Hye didn’t care if it took longer than 2 weeks because she was slowly working out how she felt and what she should do.  Phillip knew she was in turmoil but he figured when she was ready to tell him the real problem she would. 

They didn’t turn the TV on when they reached the villa.  They talked and walked.  They visited the famous Blue Lagoon beach.  Shin Hye was having fun teaching Luo Min how to swim.  Phillip was an excellent swimmer and helped with Luo Min’s lessons.  Life was simple, fun and relaxing.  Shin Hye was comfortable with Phillip and him with her.  There were no love interests interfering with their friendship so it was a relaxing time.  She needed this time to think and reflect. 

Back in Seoul it was another matter though.  Min Ho was bombarded daily with photos of Shin Hye and Luo Min with Phillip Lee.  He had acted in a drama with Lee.  He knew that Shin Hye had actually met Lee when she visited the filming site of Faith.  He had acted badly toward her the day she visited.  It was so long ago and he didn’t remember now why he acted so childish that day.  He didn’t know where on the set they met but he knew from things he heard that Shin Hye and Phillip Lee became friends.  She visited him a lot and went out to eat with him.  Did the papers and fan clubs talk about it? No, they didn’t and that made him mad too.  He wanted to spend time with her and not have people writing about it while watching him.  But she could go out to eat with Phillip Lee and it wasn’t even reported.  The same way she was with Hong Ki.  They went out all the time and no one paid them any attention.  It wasn’t fair.

But he was wondering why she decided to hang out on a yacht in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with a single and attractive man.  He might be 9 years older than Shin Hye but he was a young male and he bet he noticed Shin Hye.  He saw a picture taken by a passing yacht of Shin Hye in a bikini on Lee’s yacht.  She was in a red bikini.  Lee was in black swimming trunks and Luo Min was in red swimming trunks.  Luo Min had a life vest on thank goodness.  But the photo had spread like wildfire on the internet.  Shin Hye with her long legs, generous bosom and tiny waist was standing looking toward the sunset.  Her skin was washed with pink highlights from the setting sun.  There was a breeze because her hair was blowing backward.  Her eyes were closed and she looked incredibly y and dreamy.  He had stared at that picture for hours.  He couldn’t believe they went from cuddling while waking up together to not speaking to each other to her on another man’s yacht, dressed like a tropical goddess.   He wondered if his fate was twisted in such a way that he would always be one step behind his desires. 

He had decided that when she returned to Seoul she was going to sit down and talk to him if he had to drag her into court to force the talk.  If there was one thing she would stop and listen for it was Luo Min.  So Min Ho, he thought to himself, do you want to risk making her hate you?  It was too much to deal with when he didn’t know where to start.

Shin Hye had talked on the third day of their return voyage.  She hadn’t meant to tell everything but Phillip said, “Does Min Ho know about Luo Min?”

She was caught off guard and said, “Yes.”  She realized what she had said and tried to clarify.  Phillip said, “Shin Hye I knew it the minute I saw Luo Min at the pier.  I am surprised there isn’t a scandal about it yet.  I think the only thing saving you is the fact that your ex-husband looks so much like Min Ho.  No one connects Min Ho to Luo Min yet.  But it will happen someday and I hope you are prepared.  Now do you want to tell me the real story and see if this old friend can help you make sense of the situation?  Or do you just want to pretend nothing happened and sulk about it?”

So she told him.  It took a full 2 hours to tell everything but she did and when she was finished, Phillip walked across the deck and pulled her up.  He hugged her and said, “Time and distance will help but you are going to have to face him head on and deal with all the misunderstandings you two seem to generate toward each other.  It is up to you my yeppun yoja whether this love story has a happy ending or not.  Now let’s finish that game of chess I am going to beat you at!”

They were having so much fun they extended their voyage an extra week.  Shin Hye had discussed the situation from every angle she could and Phillip had taken the devil’s advocate position.  Shin Hye was finally ready to face Min Ho and tell him her fears and to listen to his explanation.  Like Phillip said it was up to her whether there was a happy ending or not.  If Min Ho had really found someone else then she had to know.  If it was a misunderstanding then she would be glad but she had to know before she could move forward. 

Back in Seoul, Min Ho was doing a slow burn about Shin Hye and Phillip and the whole yacht trip.  He didn’t care if he had made a slip and it looked like he was in love with Hye Kho.  He had already apologized to her for the misunderstanding.  She seemed to be disappointed and he saw the look on her face when she realized he was in love with someone else.  She was even more embarrassed at that point.  Their drama had 2 weeks left to run and he was glad.  It was a romantic melodrama and he was using the situation with Shin Hye to show the correct emotions during filming.  The worse part of the whole situation seemed to be the existence of another fandom shipping him with Hye Kho.  It seemed like a never ending cycle to him; the worse part of being famous. 

He was debating with himself on what he could use to make her listen to him.  How could he force someone like Shin Hye to meet with him?  She was stubborn, headstrong and she took no prisoners.  What a thought to have he was thinking.  He was typing out a text to send to her when he got one from Shin Hye.  He was definitely surprised but he was afraid to read it.  Summoning the courage he opened the text and read, “Oppa, I have been on a trip vacation.  I have thought long and hard about our situation.  I want to meet with you and discuss us.  Is this possible?  I will match my schedule to your schedule.  Shin Hye.”

He was dumbfounded.  Just when he was ready to say something provincially male she sends a text asking to talk to him.  Sometimes he was just confused by her, sometimes he was dazzled by her but all the time he knew he loved her.  He couldn’t take the distance from her – he knew it and he had to fix this and fix it soon.