Chapter 21 We are a family no matter what

Li Luo Min’s Eomma

Shin Hye was speechless.  She didn’t know what to do.  Father Li was furious and Shin Hye was afraid he would have a heart attack.  She walked over to him and helped him to sit down.  Father Li grabbed her hand and said, “Shin Hye what just happened?  Did Ying Ye just abandon all of us?  Did he just say he was in love with a man?”

Shin Hye was on treacherous ground if she answered with anything but the so-called truth Ying Ye Oppa had told his father.  Ying Ye was being honest about his moving to California.  He was being honest about being gay.  He was being honest about being in love with Zhi Qiang.  He was being honest about not loving Shin Hye more than as a companion and sister.  He was not being honest about Luo Min.  He was not being honest about Shin Hye not knowing about him.

She could not answer him and he took it that she was in shock from Ying Ye’s declaration. 

Shin Hye could only stare at Father Li.  She was in a dilemma.  Father Li was a powerful man and could destroy Min Ho in an instant.  So she must be very careful.  And he could and would destroy Luo Min if he found out the truth.  How to protect everyone?  Who to go to or was there anyone to go to?  This was a worse situation that when she found out she was pregnant and unmarried.

She apologized to Father Li.  He went to find his wife.  She was still crying and Shin Hye’s heart went out to her.  She could only hope that time would heal their wounds and heartache.  She would pray every day for their healing.  What would happen when this news got out?  Father Li would be able to cover it for a while but not forever.  A man as powerful and an empire as powerful as the Li Industries would take some hits when it was found out that the son and heir was gay and had turned his back on his family.

Ying Ye Oppa was being brave in taking this step Shin Hye knew.  He was trying in his own way to protect her and Luo Min.  It would have been so much easier for him if he wasn’t trying to protect the secret of Luo Min’s birth and to protect Shin Hye’s reputation.  How the threads of fate twined about her was heartbreaking.  She dared not tempt fate more than she already had. 

Min Ho tried to call her.  She was not answering.  He debated on calling Ying Ye but had rather not.  It was an odd predicament Min Ho found himself in – he had a son but could not claim him.  He had a girlfriend for lack of a better word but could not be seen with her.  His life revolved around a lie.  Would he be able to untangle all the loose ends and make them right?  He sat and wondered about these questions as he tried to trace Shin Hye.

It was late, really late and he was worried.  Why couldn’t he reach Shin Hye?  He was debating on going to her house when his phone buzzed and it was Shin Hye.  He answered with a “Where are you and what are you doing?”  It wasn’t that he meant to be curt sounding or overbearing toward her he was just worried and scared for her.  He didn’t know why he had this knot in the pit of his stomach but he was worried.

Shin Hye, “Oppa.”  He could tell by the sound of her voice that she was crying.  In fact she sounded like her voice was hoarse from perhaps crying a lot. 

“Shin Hye what is wrong?  Where are you?  Do you need me to come to you or send someone to you?  Shin Hye answer me!” Min Ho was practically yelling.

“Oppa,” she hiccupped as she spoke.  Sure sign he thought that she has been crying and hard.  “Oppa.  Ying Oppa just had a big fight with his Appa.  He has left Oppa.  He packed all his personal items and his clothes and he is gone. He went to California.  Oppa, he told his Appa he was gay.  He told him Luo Min was his but he couldn’t stay in a marriage without the feelings.  He told his Appa he loved Zhi Qiang.  Oppa, I am scared of Father Li and his power.  Ying Oppa told his Appa that I didn’t know anything about it.  He told me that if we become a family he will sign papers should you want to adopt Luo Min.  He wants a divorce so he can be with Zhi Oppa.  He said he would marry Zhi Oppa in America.  Oppa this is so sad; poor Ying Oppa and poor Oppa.  What should I do?”

Min Ho was floored.  This was not in any scenario he ever imagined with Li Ying Ye.  What the hell was he trying to do?

“Shin Hye where are you?  Are you at your house and is anyone else there with you and Luo Min?”

“Oppa we are by ourselves.  I am not afraid Oppa but I am worried.  This is too much to figure out.  What should we do?”

“Shin Hye I want you to bring Luo Min and come here.  I know you probably don’t want to but you should not be there by yourself.  You should not be worried like this.  Come here where I can at least make sure you and Luo Min are safe.  Please Shin Hye.  I will worry if you don’t.  I don’t think it is a good idea if I come there and I will if you don’t come here.”

Min Ho Oppa was giving her an ultimatum and although she was not the type of woman that would ordinarily allow someone to give her ultimatums or to follow someone’s demands; she now found herself in this unique situation.  She had no idea how to deal with it yet.  She had to admit she did not want to be alone.  She would have felt less anxious if it were just herself and not Luo Min.  Luo Min was so young yet and she needed to protect him.  The safest place in the world for her and her son was with his father – his real father.  So she bundled Luo Min up, grabbed extra clothing for both of them and left.  It was easy to leave without paparazzi following her because the house had more than one entrance and exit.  Only one was listed on the detailed drawing filed with the city.  So she left from the estate a quarter of a mile away and onto a street that had no houses and was a dead end.  She was able to come and go from there with no issues and she was glad for the small details the kind of money Ying Oppa had invested into his property.

She arrived at Oppa’s apartment and drove straight into his private garage.  She hoped no paparazzi were staking out his apartment.  She would begin to watch this sort of thing more closely now that so much was at stake.  He was waiting to take Luo Min from her and take him straight to the guest room.  He settled him onto the bed and Luo Min slept through everything.  Min Ho took Shin Hye’s hand and pulled her back to the living area.  Shin Hye was exhausted and she had cried so much she just wanted to sleep.  Min Ho realized this.  He took her things and put them in his room.  He came back and picked her up taking her to his room.  He put her on his bed and she sat up.  She looked so childlike at the moment that his heart hurt.  “Shin Hye go and wash your face, brush your teeth and get dressed for bed.  Tonight I want no more than to hold you while you sleep.  I understand how upset you are.  I have tonight and tomorrow night and then I have to return to base.  We will talk about all this tomorrow but for now you need rest.”

He left the room to check on Luo Min.  He left his bedroom door open in case he should wake during the night.  When he returned Shin Hye was in bed with the covers up to her chin.  He took a shower, brushed his teeth and then checked Luo Min once more.  He left his bedroom door open also just in case.  He climbed into bed pulling Shin Hye next to his body and held her like that for the rest of the night.

The next morning he woke early.  He was still holding Shin Hye but she felt different.  He opened his eyes to look and found Luo Min between Shin Hye and himself.  The little imp had crawled between them and fallen back asleep.  He was pressed against Min Ho with his thumb in his mouth.  Both Luo Min and Shin Hye were asleep.  He grinned at the sight of his little look-alike and how possessive he was of his Eomma.  He was thinking he couldn’t blame him.

He fell back asleep and woke several hours later to an empty bed.  Shin Hye and Luo Min were not there.  He pulled himself up and went in search of them.  He found them watching the snow fall onto his deck.  It was beautiful.  Shin Hye turned when she heard him and smiled.  Her face lights up when she smiles Min Ho thought.  It is beautiful when she isn’t smiling but when she smiles she is devastatingly beautiful.  He felt the ping of desire and tamped it down quickly.  It wouldn’t do to have an inquisitive Luo Min discover too much.

Shin Hye left her men to look at the snow and talk of snowmen and Christmas.  Christmas was tomorrow and it was Min Ho’s last night on furlough.  He would have to report back to base the day following Christmas by midnight.  Shin Hye’s parents would expect her to come to their house for Christmas and she had no idea what Ying Oppa’s parents wanted or expected.  She would like for Min Ho to spend his first Christmas after finding out about Luo Min with Luo Min but it would not be possible.  They would just have to make the best of today.  It wasn’t the actual day that mattered so much right now as the time the father and son spent together.  Shin Hye decided to fix the large Western style breakfast that Min Ho Oppa became fond of when they were in LA during the Inheritors drama filming.  He particularly liked the fried apples that went with all the other ‘country’ style items.  Luo Min had never had such a breakfast and she was amazed at how much he could put away.  He was truly just like Min Ho.  They even shared the same likes and dislikes. 

Shin Hye and Luo Min spent the day with Min Ho.  Since his apartment was multi-level and had a private balcony and deck, Min Ho and Luo Min were able to build a snowman.  Luo Min was solemn as he helped build the snowman.  She looked at Min Ho and saw the same serious look.  It was getting more obvious by the day.  How could they be seen in public together - ever?

As dusk approached, Shin Hye gathered up Luo Min’s things while she tidied up Luo Min’s messes.  She wanted desperately to stay just one more night.  She wanted desperately to feel his arms holding her tightly.  She wanted desperately to feel the heat of his lovemaking but it was Christmas Eve and his parents expected him to come to their house.  Shin Hye’s parents expected her to come to their house.  It was not the situation they wanted but they had spent time together and tomorrow was a new day.  Perhaps on Christmas Day the small family could at least spend an hour or two together.

Min Ho watched them drive away and felt cold and alone.  He pulled his coat on and drove to his parent’s house to spend Christmas Eve.  Shin Hye and Luo Min drove to her parent’s house so Luo Min and she could spend Christmas Eve.  She needed to tell them about the pending divorce and Ying Oppa’s situation before it became public knowledge.  It would be a long night for the young lovers and parents.  But tomorrow was a new day and they were determined to at least see each other.