Chapter 6 A wedding to remember

Li Luo Min’s Eomma

Eomma’s restaurant was b with customers.  No one except staff knew an important meeting was in progress in the ‘green’ room.  Shin Hye had named all the different private rooms after the restaurant was opened and the names stuck.  The green room was very oriental in decor and soothing.  There was nothing western oriental about the room.  It was simply a room done in hues of green with lots of living plants cleverly incorporated into the structure of the room. The room gave one a feeling of relaxation and calmness.  It was very appropriate for the wedding planning meeting in progress. 

The parents had hit it off.  Remarkably the men had similar interest in the business and sports world.  The women were both supporters of ancient Korean culture.  They were happily chatting away when there was a knock at the door.  A staff member ushered a young lady of perhaps 36 into the room.  She bowed and presented her card to the two mothers.  Even though the fathers would foot the bills, she knew she had to grab and hold the mothers’ support from the start.  The young woman was dressed in business attire.  She had an assistant bring in a laptop that he proceeded to hook up to the room’s TV system.  The parents were waiting.  She turned, bowed and said, “Good afternoon.  I am Mie Sui Lia.  I will be your wedding planner.  I have a resume that my assistant will hand to you.  I have designed and successfully concluded some of the most famous weddings in the world.  I can design anything you want.  Now, would you tell me what you would like to see in your children’s wedding?  I will try to incorporate some of that into their wishes.”  And with that statement, her assistant handed out a catalog and her resume.  Mr. Li had already thoroughly checked her out and that was why she was there.  The women were using one catalog, giggling at the cuteness of some poses. The Yings and the Parks were telling her some things they would like to be incorporated into their children’s wedding but only with the permission of the children.  Ms. Mie was jotting their conversation down for future reference.  So far there were no outlandish requests or stubborn demands.  The ladies were working together and everyone had an air of expectation. 

Ying Ye and Shin Hye were standing outside the door to the ‘green room’.  They were listening to gauge the atmosphere in the room before entering.  Ying Ye told Shin Hye it was remarkably calm sounding.  Shin Hye reached for his hand whispering, “I’m sorry.”  They knocked and entered the room.  The parents and wedding planner looked up to see a young couple holding hands.  Shin Hye had a glow about her and Ying Ye had a satisfied look about him.  Of course the parents assumed it was the look of a couple in love.  Shin Hye was glowing because she had made peace with herself and was happy about the little one she carried.  Ying Ye was satisfied that he could appease his parents, provide an heir and have Zhi Qiang in his life.  The couple had managed to find the things that made them happy out of the terrible mess they were in – they found a bit of rainbow behind the storm.   What a twist of fate the world had dumped into their laps.

The couple helped the mothers come up with a basic design for Shin Hye’s dress.  The planner had at least 12 designers that were begging for the chance to design the wedding dress of the year – as one famous world designer to the rich and famous said, “I will pay you to let me put my wedding dress design on Park Shin Hye!  It will not only be the dress of the year but of the decade….we are talking the Park Shin Hye here!!!”

The wedding would be at the church Shin Hye’s family attended.  It would be a traditional Christian ceremony with an elaborate reception to follow.  Shin Hye would have preferred a more subdued ceremony and reception but she realized that Li Industries would have to put on a show.  They would have another ceremony at a Buddhist temple the week after the honeymoon.  They would go to Hawaii for their honeymoon.  It was a gift from Ying Ye’s parents and they couldn’t refuse.  Zhi Qiang would go separately from them and his trip was a present from Shin Hye.  She wanted someone to be happy.  Although they would be staying on a secluded island they would still be the object of scrutiny especially among Shin Hye’s fans and the paparazzi.  So Zhi Qiang would have to be careful.  Shin Hye made herself pay attention.  Her heart might be with Min Ho Oppa but she needed to stay on her toes or she would be found out by the parents.  Ying Ye was watching her and he knew she was thinking of Min Ho.  His heart broke for her because he could understand her frustration with the situation.  He wanted to help her and so did Zhi Qiang.  What a mess he was thinking.  The look on his face, however, was one of concern and love.  Both sets of parents saw this look and both sets of parents were satisfied that their children should be together.

The invitations had been sent.  The food and wine had been chosen.  Her dress had been designed by a world class designer and Shin Hye insisted on paying.  She did not want any issues to come up later.  Her shoes and accessories had been chosen.  Her bridesmaids had been chosen and their dresses, shoes and accessories were ready.  The groomsmen had been chosen and their attire was ready.  She finally got her boys to agree to be groomsmen when she told them who they would be matched with.  Such boyish men she would think time and again.  Everything was picture perfect.  Zhi Qiang would be Ying Ye’s best man and Shin Hye felt sorry toward Zhi Qiang Oppa because she knew his heart was aching.  The three had the first of their family meetings and everything was decided.  All their plans were made.  Everyone knew what their script should read.  The wedding had to go off without a hitch.  Her baby was depending on her and she was no longer just Park Shin Hye, actress, model, dancer, daughter and fiancée.  She was her baby’s first line of defense and by all that was holy she would protect her baby from any harm.

The two families had given their guest list to the planner, Ms. Mie.  Shin Hye was looking over the list.  Shin Hye wanted to make sure she had not ignored anyone.  She was happily chatting about a few of her more outlandish friends when her finger stopped moving down the page.  Ying Ye had been checking over some reports when he heard her suddenly stop talking.  Zhi Qiang who was busy designing a custom piece of furniture for a client looked up to see an ashen faced Shin Hye.  “Ying?” Zhi Qiang said. 

Ying Ye looked at Shin Hye.  She definitely looked like she was about to pass out.  “Shin Hye?  Shin Hye?” Ying Ye was saying.  Shin Hye could not move if she had to.  At that moment in time, Shin Hye felt trapped and suffocated.  Ying Ye looked down at the RSVP guest list and saw where her finger had stopped.  On the list of guest who had accepted and sent RSVP’s stating they would attend was Lee Min Ho’s name.  “Oh crap…..now what?” Ying Ye snarled.  It was too much.  Who had added his name?  Why? 

Ying Ye moved Shin Hye’s finger and putting his left arm under her knees and his right arm behind her back he lifted her up and carried her to the guest bedroom.  It was now Shin Hye’s room.  They had moved her belongings to his house one day ago.  It would lessen speculation about them and he had more room. He laid her on the bed and sat on the side of the mattress.  “Shin Hye, you have every right to be disturbed at this moment.  Rest for a while and I will check on you in a few minutes.”

Closing the door behind him he heard Shin Hye whisper, “Min Ho Oppa, can I face you?  How do I pretend if you are looking at me?”

Zhi Qiang was looking at Ying Ye for answers.  Ying Ye shook his head and said, “I don’t know.  Time will be the best healer for Shin Hye.  And the birth of her baby will work wonders.  Let’s just look toward that goal.”

Four miles away in an apartment sat a gloomy Lee Min Ho.  His friend, Il Woo, was there.  Min Ho had not moved for 2 hours and Il Woo was starting to get worried.  Il Woo had tried talking at first but Min Ho ignored him.  II Woo was about to fall asleep when Min Ho jumped startling II Woo.  “I don’t get it.  I just don’t get it.  We were doing so well.  We were happy or at least I was.  I am not that bad a judge of people’s moods and I know she was happy.  So what went wrong?  What happened?  And who the fricking hell is the guy who just walked in and took her away?  I never heard of him before.”  He stopped talking and looked at II Woo.  “Well, you are a friend to my unfaithful girlfriend – what do you know?”

II Woo was as puzzled as Min Ho.  He knew Shin Hye and she was not a flaky woman, in fact, she was too level-headed, too logical.  He wasn’t sure but he knew there was something else going on that he couldn’t see because it was being hidden. 

“Min Ho, humor me for a bit.  When was the last time you actually spent time with Shin Hye?  Tell me about that time – what you were doing and saying.  I think it will be important.”  II Woo looked at Min Ho with an air of hope.  He would sleuth the truth out of Min Ho.  It was crazy how depressed and unhappy Min Ho was acting. He was worried about his friend.

Min Ho raked his hands through his hair and said, “We had dinner when I returned from China.  I had a commercial shoot there and she offered to fix dinner at her apartment for our date.  We ate, we chatted, we huh... spent alone time together, we had breakfast together and planned when to meet again.  There was nothing out of the ordinary.  We even watched a few minutes of TV.  I don’t think it was anything from that night.”

II Woo said, “What was the conversation about?  Who or what did you discuss? “

Min Ho, “We didn’t discuss anything of importance.  We talked about friends, commercial shoots and getting together again. Nothing special, certainly nothing to make her up and fall in love with another man in days - do you know the odd thing about this whole situation is the guy could be my stand-in during action shots?  He looks like me.  I don’t mean vaguely resembles me; I mean could be my twin.  What do you think that coincidence means?”

II Woo, “There are no coincidences in life.  Man, you should have been more forceful and got answers from the dude when you met him at Shin Hye’s.  I can’t imagine how you feel.  I know I would be highly pissed if this happened to me.  So what are you going to do about it?  The wedding is in 2 days.  You could call and ask her to explain more or you could text her and ask for an explanation.  Just tell her you feel the situation is too unclear.  But you have to either go after her or you have to let go.  There is no middle ground here Min Ho.  If you confront her be prepared for answers you might not like.  If you let go then you have to really let go.  Attending her wedding is dumb.  Why would you put yourself in that situation? 

Min Ho was listening but he wasn’t listening.  He could feel Shin Hye’s kisses.  He could feel her arms.  He could feel her warm body wrapped around him after a night of passion.  He just didn’t know what to do.  He loved her, damn it.  So why had her feelings changed?  How does one go from I will love you forever and yes I will marry you to I have found someone I love more?  What the hell kind of logic was this?  He didn’t know and he was exhausted.  He told II Woo he was going to sleep.  He had been trying for days to remember their last few conversations and it was more difficult than he thought it would be.  After he slept he would write down everything he could remember.  But for right now he was too tired to think.  As he pulled a cover up he remembered Shin Hye pulling the cover over him one night.  He was half asleep at the time but he could see her through his closing eyes.  She was perfection in his eyes.  She had murmured to him that night of love undying.  So what happened?  He felt his heart ache.  He felt the tears come as he clutched his shirt over his heart and sobbed.

The day of the wedding was clear and warm.  It was early autumn and the gardens at the church’s conservatory for the reception were gorgeous.  Luckily the conservatory was next door to the church.  There were so many well wishers and fans outside the church that guards had been placed along the sidewalks and up the steps leading into the church.  No one had turned down the wedding invitation and the church was packed.  Everyone Shin Hye had ever worked with was there even some crew and production people.  Shin Hye had formed many lasting friendships during the years she worked as an actress and model.  She was well liked by production crews and fellow cast members.  There were so many actors and idols present that anyone not knowing what was going on would think it was an awards show.  Caterers and florist had been in and out all morning.  The two buildings looked like they were in a Disney production.  It was a most magical setting for a wedding. 

Shin Hye had been at the church for a half hour.  Zhi Qiang had been in and out of her dressing room more than a dozen times.  He was an absolute wreck.  He was on the verge of tears because he was worried that Shin Hye would be too overwhelmed.  He was worried because he had been out in the church’s congregational area and he spotted Lee Min Ho talking to Kim Bum and several other actors.  He was worried about how Shin Hye would manage to convince everyone she was in love with Ying Ye if Min Ho was sitting there judging her.  Zhi Qiang was literally on the verge of collapsing from all the worry.  Ying Ye walked up behind him and placed his hand on his shoulder and Zhi Qiang jumped a foot in the air. 

Ying Ye said, “Calm down.  Shin Hye is a professional.  She can do this and you and I will pamper her during our Hawaii trip.  Now go and get in place.  We have 10 minutes before the minister comes out and pictures start happening.  His parents were seated.  Shin Hye’s family minus her Father was seated.  Every friend and acquaintance of the two was seated.  The only thing left was the bridesmaids and Shin Hye’s walk down the aisle.  Shin Hye had more than a few friends and idol stars who wanted to sing for her.  A small orchestra would play before her wedding march.  A special song had been written by Lee Seung-Hwan.  He would perform it during her walk down the aisle.  Mr. Lee had suggested to Shin Hye’s wedding planner that considering their long relationship and the fact that he was the one who gave Shin Hye her career start he should also be the one to give her a beautiful melody to walk down the aisle to a new life beginning.  Shin Hye was surrounded by love and care.  She was indeed a special lady.

Shin Hye’s Appa stepped into her dressing room.  She was seated before the dressing mirror but she was gazing out the window.  He had never seen such a vision of perfection.  She was regal even as she was brooding.  Her father was eternally grateful to his wife for his daughter’s beauty.  She turned and saw her Appa.  She had already decided she would not cry.  If she started crying she might not make it through the ceremony.  She kept the thought ‘my baby’ in her mind always.  She was doing this for her baby.  Her situation could be worse, much worse.  She was fortunate to have met Li Ying Ye and Zhi Qiang.  What she would have done without them she didn’t want to think about too closely.

Shin Hye’s Appa asked her if she was ready.  She nodded yes and stood.  He walked over and gave her a kiss on the cheek.  They could hear the music playing in the hall.  One of the wedding planner’s assistants knocked on the door and told them the bridesmaids had begun their walk.  It was time to get in place.

Shin Hye’s maid of honor was Park Se Young.  Se Young was dressed in a jewel tone jade green dress.  Each of the four girls were in the same green jade color with a different gown style to fit their bodies.  The girls’ bouquets were white and red roses. Each of the girls’ bouquets had a green jade ornament in the bouquet.   Each of the men were in black and gray tuxedoes.  All had red corsages, Shin Hye’s favorite color.  Shin Hye’s bouquet was all red roses.  Shin Hye’s dress was a one of a kind design.  It was a strapless lace appliqué, tulle and pearls over a satin full A-line dress.  It had a sweetheart neckline that showed Shin Hye’s bosom off spectacularly.  It had a curved back adorned with hand-sewn pearl trim, dropped waistline, lace appliqués accented with pearls cascading down to a baby hemline and chapel length train.  Her jade and silver necklace and bracelet were the matching pieces to her engagement ring.  When she stood her Appa caught his breath.  She was a vision.  She looked like a regally graceful princess.  Her hair had been pulled up and secured loosely in a Victorian style twist.  Tendrils of hair curled down to frame her face.  She looked down at the dressing table and selected jade and silver drop earrings.  She secured the earrings and adjusted the veil over her face. 

Shin Hye turned to her Appa and said, “I am ready Appa.  How do I look?”

Shin Hye’s Father crooked his arm for her to entwine her arm with his.  “My daughter, you make me very proud to be your Appa.  I am happy that you are happy.  Shin Hye my beautiful daughter I only have one wish in this world and that is for you and your brother to be happy.”  He kissed her cheek and said, “I am as ready as I will ever be to give my daughter away.  Let’s go.”

The music started as soon as Lee Seung-Hwan saw the doors open for Shin Hye to enter.  Shin Hye took a deep breath and said, “I’m ready Appa.”

Min Ho stood like everyone else.  Kim Bum and II Woo flanked him.  They were worried and their plan was to make sure he did not leave his seat.  As Shin Hye moved toward Ying Ye onlookers started clapping.  She was beautiful.  Min Ho heard many comments and all were about the beauty of Shin Hye and the luck of Ying Ye.  Shin Hye was smiling and looking toward Ying Ye.  In her mind she was pretending that Ying Ye was Min Ho.  If she did that she could get through this.  She didn’t look to left or right because she feared meeting Min Ho’s eyes.  She concentrated on one step after another and the thought ‘my baby’.  She reached Ying Ye and he stepped down to stand in front of her Father.  Her Father put her hand in Ying Ye’s hand and smiled.  He leaned over and kissed the side of Shin Hye’s face and then turned and found his wife and sat beside her.  Shin Hye’s Eomma put her hand on her husband’s arm and squeezed.

Shin Hye and Ying Ye had discussed how to handle the ceremony last night.  She would handle it as if it were a script.  She knew exactly what to say and what to do.  Ying Ye was doing the same.  This part had to be perfect.  Too many were watching and too many would catch any mistake they made.  Shin Hye was still thinking along the lines that she was looking and responding to Min Ho.  She knew he was in the audience but she didn’t want to see him.  Her heart couldn’t manage seeing him.  Ying Ye was responding to the Minister’s words.  He said, “I Do.”  The Minister was speaking to Shin Hye and Ying Ye gave her fingers a squeeze signaling her to respond.  She said, “I Do.”  The Minister told Ying Ye to place the ring on her finger.  Shin Hye was slightly shaking but no one could see it.  She was thinking ‘my baby’ and then the Minister pronounced them man and wife.  He told Ying Ye he could kiss his bride.  Ying Ye took the veil in his hands and removed the veil held by a single pin.  He handed it to Zhi Qiang.  Shin Hye was a vision and he heard some intakes of breath because she was beautiful.  He leaned forward and said, “Let’s make it stick in his mind.”  Shin Hye gave his hand a slight amount of pressure and he took her in his arms and positioning her so her back was to the audience it appeared as if he was kissing her passionately.  She felt the tears on her cheeks.  Anyone seeing them would think she was crying with joy.  Ying Ye released her and turned her toward the audience.  She smiled so brilliantly that the news feed used that picture to announce the wedding.  Ying Ye had his arm around her giving the impression of a loving husband.  Shin Hye’s smile spoke of joy and happiness.  They looked at each other and started down the aisle to the sound of music playing in the background.  The couple stood at the top of the church steps while cameras clicked non-stop. 

The rest of the wedding party came out and the guests were pouring out behind them.  The younger women were getting in the group at the foot of the steps so Shin Hye could throw the bouquet. Ying Ye took her hand and looked at her.  He was concerned.  Ying Ye asked, “Are you alright?”  She nodded yes and Ying helped her turn and get ready to throw the bouquet. 

She said, “Are you ready? Here it comes!”  Shin Hye threw the bouquet and it arched up and out.  A young woman caught it and was excitedly laughing.  Shin Hye was satisfied that her guests were happy.  Ying Ye took her hand and they faced the crowd.  Ying Ye was grinning as he searched the crowd for Zhi Qiang.  He saw Zhi Qiang as he went toward the conservatory.  Zhi Qiang was still in worry mode.  Ying Ye grinned at the thought of Zhi Qiang.  To those filming and watching, Shin Hye and Ying Ye looked like a loving and happy couple.  Ying Ye pulled Shin Hye toward the conservatory so that the reception could begin.