Chapter 15 Don’t look into his eyes – you looked

Li Luo Min’s Eomma

It had been a long year.  Min Ho might be serving in the military but he was more popular than ever.  Shin Hye wondered sometimes about the popularity craze.  Oppa’s movies and dramas were in constant re-run status.  Not just in Korea but everywhere.  His increasing popularity was so amazing that gossip columnist gave it constant attention.  His fans flock to the entry of the military base where he was stationed when he was issued a furlough.  He would be home for 2 weeks and the fans were going crazy.  The military actually had to call guards out so that Min Ho and other soldiers could leave the base.  Shin Hye grinned when she saw the look of consternation on his face.  The TV cameras had stayed on him the whole time he was visible.  His father picked him up at the base and of course, being Min Ho he waved and smiled till he was out of sight.

He was tired but glad he would be home.  He would spend the night at his parents and then go to his apartment the next day.  He had talked to Shin Hye and she would come to his apartment the next day.  He was anticipating seeing her and he was anxious that Luo Min would not remember him.  Shin Hye sent pictures whenever he asked for one.  They had talked via computer several times; he talked and watched Luo Min in action.  Strangely Shin Hye had tried to get Luo Min to call Min Ho ‘ajeossi’ but the boy refused.  He would call him Appa every time he saw him or his picture.  Her mother thought it cute when Luo Min saw Min Ho on TV he thought it was Ying Ye.  Ying Ye was not happy about the turn of events.  He did not want them visiting Min Ho.  He feared what Shin Hye might be talked into by Min Ho.  His hope was she would abide by her promise.

Min Ho’s parents were full of questions and mostly about Luo Min.  Min Ho sent them pictures of him when Shin Hye sent them to him.  They were amazed at how much he looked like Min Ho.  His mother was constantly afraid someone would put the pieces together and she would read it in the gossip section of the paper.  She prayed at the temple constantly for Min Ho and his family.  She tried to fault Shin Hye but she just couldn’t.  She knew it was a heart breaking situation. 

The next day Min Ho’s sister dropped him off.  She came in with him because he asked her to.  He had informed Shin Hye she would be there. Shin Hye was nervous about this.  She hadn’t seen Min Ho in a year and she would be shy around him if his sister was there.  She was also afraid his sister would be judgmental.  All she could do was brave the situation and pray for the best.

Yun Kyung was nervous herself.  She wasn’t sure how she would feel about Shin Hye when she saw her in person.  She sort of resented the whole mess.  She liked Shin Hye as an actress and model.  In fact she liked to hear her sing too.  But this whole mess with Oppa was too much.  Oppa would be upset if she was rude and she knew it.  The problem was she knew in her heart Shin Hye was a victim of the circumstances and Oppa was a male that said things without thinking.  What a mess.  She was anxious because she had a nephew that she would see for the first time.  Her parents didn’t know she was there and Min Ho was working on a way for them to see Luo Min.

The doorbell rang.  Sheesh thought Yun Kyung, I am dying here.  How can Oppa stand it?

Min Ho had been half dozing on the sofa.  As soon as the bell rang he was on his feet and at the door.  He jerked it open to see a startled Shin Hye.  She was standing beside a 20 month old Luo Min.  Luo Min was clutching a box and trying to peek inside the room.  He spotted Yun Kyung and took off toward her.  Min Ho looked at him move.  He looked at Shin Hye and she was smiling.  He grabbed her and pulled her inside.  He pulled her into his arms and buried his head on her shoulder.  “God I missed you.”

Shin Hye softly said, “I missed you too but you need to rescue your sister.”  She laughed.  Min Ho turned to see Luo Min tugging Yun Kyung’s pants leg.  She looked at Min Ho and Shin Hye and shrugged her shoulders.  Bending down to his level she said, “Hi there.  What is your name?” 

He stuck his finger in his mouth and twisted back and forth.  He grinned and his dimples shined.  “You pretty.”

Yun Kyung groaned.  “Oh my God….another one.  He is so you Oppa, the girls of the world should hide now.”

Shin Hye knew this was a test.  She decided to take the situation into control.  She walked over and stuck her hand out and said, “Yun Kyung I am sorry we meet under such circumstances.  I am Park Shin Hye and please don’t blame your brother.  The fault is mine.  I would like to introduce you to Luo Min.”

Luo Min stuck his hand out and said, “Me Li Luo Min.  Me like you.  Mine Eomma.”  He pointed to Shin Hye.  He turned to see Min Ho and pointed to him. “Appa.”  And then he ran to Min Ho and grabbed his leg and held on.  Min Ho reached down and swung him up and on his shoulders. 

“Hi there Luo Min, do you remember talking to me on the computer?  I certainly remember you.”  Luo Min giggled. 

"Would you like to play with a toy?  Come on let’s go and find something for you to play with.”  The two left the room and made their way to Min Ho’s bedroom.  Min Ho had a lot of stuffed animals and some other things fans had sent that would not harm Luo Min if he chewed or put them in his mouth.  He told him to find something and he grabbed a small stuffed puppy. 

“Good choice,” Min Ho said and as swung Luo Min up and onto his shoulders again.  “Uppsey daisy Luo Min.”  They came back to the two women talking earnestly.  Shin Hye was nodding her head and Yun Kyung was agreeing.

He asked, “What are you two agreeing on?”

Shin Hye, “Something we would like to see happen but it is all decided so you don’t have to worry.” 

Yun Kyung thought yeah everything is not about you baby brother.

Luo Min had sat down at Yun Kyung’s feet and was playing with the puppy.  He kept looking up at her and smiling.  She was amazed at the resemblance to Min Ho.  How on earth two people could look that much alike even if they were son and father was a puzzle to her.

Min Ho managed to finally catch her eye and nodded his head for her to leave.  She ignored him.  She wanted to evaluate Shin Hye’s feelings a little longer and she wanted to watch Luo Min a little more.  Finally Min Ho sat down beside her and whispered, “Go home.  I want to be with Shin Hye without you here.  Go.”

She was thinking I bet you do.  “So Shin Hye do you plan on returning to acting or modeling?  You are really missed you know.  I was watching a variety show the other day and one of the host made a request on air.  He said “Park Shin Hye if you are listening please come back to TV.  We miss you.  Your fans want to see you again.  We fan boys forgive you for breaking our hearts, just come back.  And when you do you must come on our show first.  I thought it was so cute.”

Min Ho said, “That’s it.  Don’t you dare say another word.   And don’t you dare Shin Hye.  Fan boys? Broken hearts? Yah – do you want to die?” He took his sister’s elbow and started her toward the door.  “Go home.  I will call Eomma and Appa tomorrow.  I am going to discuss with Shin Hye about them seeing Luo Min.  Just go.”  He hugged her and shoved her out the door.   He walked back into the room to see her jacket and purse on the sofa.  He grabbed them and ran to the front door.  He jerked it open and Yun Kyung was standing there with her lips pursed and holding her hand out.

“Stupid men……” she muttered some more as she turned and left.

Shin Hye was nervous.  She didn’t exactly know what to do or what to say.  Min Ho made her nervous and she was so aware of his every breath.

It was time for Luo Min to eat lunch and she wasn’t sure if Min Ho had food.  She started to ask and he filled in the words, “Shin Hye, Eomma bought food yesterday and stocked the refrigerator and pantry.  Is it time for Luo Min to eat?  I can help you cook if you will cook for all of us?”

“Thank you Oppa.  Yes, it is time and yes I will cook.  But can you play with Luo Min and keep him occupied while I fix lunch?”

Min Ho’s POV:

I am happy.  For the first time in over a year I am happy.  I can see them and know they are safe.  Shin Hye is more beautiful than I remember.  And Luo Min is a son to be proud of.  He already acts like me now isn’t that odd?  I wonder how or what I should do.  I wonder can I convince Shin Hye to spend the night here?  She won’t probably because -  well - considering our past she probably won’t trust me to stay.  It would be nice to have Luo Min spend the night though.

Shin Hye’s POV:

What will I do if he wants us to stay?  I want to but what if he expects – no – I can’t think that way.  But I want to stay and well – huh – I just better not think that way.

Min Ho walked into the kitchen and Shin Hye looked up and blushed.  She really blushed.  He asked her what she had been thinking to cause a lady to blush.  She turned around so he couldn’t see her and he walked up behind her and placed his arms around her and hugged.  “Shin Hye my beautiful lady, I have missed you.  I love you.”   He kissed the top of her head and went back to Luo Min.  Shin Hye thought her knees would give and she would not be able to stand.  She was nothing but jelly in his hands.  She loved him too. 

The three spent a wonderful afternoon.  Luo Min was a funny kid.  He liked to stare at Min Ho.  He was good thought Min Ho, almost as good as me.  I wonder why he stares at me so hard.  He then realized every time he got near Shin Hye, Luo Min would try to run interference.  “Oh ho I see what is up.  Well young fella you are going to have to share Eomma with Appa.  Appa loves your Eomma and wants to see her.  So can we make an agreement as Appa and son to share Eomma?”

Min Ho was being funny but Luo Min was taking him serious.  Luo Min pointed to Shin Hye saying, “Mine Eomma.”  And he continued to eat ignoring his Appa.  Min Ho said, “I’ll be damned.  Competition.”

As the evening progressed Min Ho asked Shin Hye, “I don’t suppose I can talk you into spending the night?  I do have guest rooms.  I will behave hard as it might be and I would love to help bathe and put Luo Min down for the night.”

Shin Hye looked at him and felt the need to be there.  She wasn’t worried about Ying Ye because he was in California at a medical symposium.  She was biting her lower lip and trying to think.  Thinking was difficult when she was anywhere near Min Ho.  “Oppa I don’t think it is a good idea.  I don’t want anyone to find out and what if someone finds out we spent the night here?  I am married and you are – well – you are Min Ho.  No one would ever forgive me.”

He stood and moved to the seat next to her.  Luo Min moved to squirm in between them.  Luo Min put a possessive hand on Shin Hye’s arm and looked Min Ho dead in the eye and said, “Mine Eomma.”  He then continued playing with a small car Shin Hye brought along.  Min Ho said, “Damn.  I don’t think fan boys will be a problem with Luo Min around.”

“Shin Hye, please, let’s try this tonight.  If I make you uncomfortable just tell me.  If you don’t like being here later then I will not stop you from leaving.  Just let’s try OK?”

She looked at him and at Luo Min.  She thought well it won’t hurt especially since I will be in the guest room. 

“Alright, but you better behave.  You better be good and – well – just don’t – well just don’t.”  She was blushing again.  And for some reason that blush gave his heart hope.  He heard her mumbling and he wasn’t sure but he could have sworn she said, “Don’t be y Min Ho.”   He blushed then.

Shin Hye told Min Ho it was time for Luo Min’s bath and she had extra clothes.  She never went anywhere without extras for Luo Min.  He helped her bathe Luo Min and Shin Hye ended up as wet as Luo Min.  She was fussing at both of the guys and Luo Min was having fun laughing at his wet Eomma.  Min Ho was enjoying a wet Eomma too but for different reasons. 

“Shin Hye would you like a shirt and exercise pants until you dry your clothes?  Or maybe a robe?  I am not being suggestive here just trying to help.”

She said, “Maybe a robe while my clothes dry?”

Min Ho brought a fluffy white robe for her to put on.  She took it and went into the guest room but before she did she handed him a very wet and sleepy Luo Min.  He was wrapped up in a large bath towel.  She said his clothes are on the sofa.  Make sure he is dry before you put them on him.  And with that she went into the guest room and shut the door.

Min Ho was sitting on the sofa with a clean and sound asleep Luo Min in his arms.  He had dried his hair and it was sticking up everywhere.  Min Ho said, “Mine does the same, remember?  He is so precious Shin Hye.  I am sorry beyond words.  I don’t know what the solution is but I will think of something.  I think time is on our side or at least I hope so.  I have thought and thought but there doesn’t seem to be a good solution.  Any way I look at it someone will get hurt.  I just don’t know but I do know I won’t live the rest of my life without you two.  I won’t Shin Hye.”

She sat down on the sofa next to him and putting her hand on his arm, “I don’t want to live the rest of my life like this either.  There will be a solution, there has to be a solution.  You will be gone for another year so let’s just enjoy our time together now and worry about it a year from now.  Oppa?”

Min Ho wondered how they could endure another year of secrecy and being apart but they would do it because they had no choice.  Shin Hye nudged him and pointed at Luo Min.  She whispered, “He needs to be put to bed.”

Min Ho took him to the guest room and put him in bed.  He pulled the coverlet up and patted his head.  Bending down he kissed his cheek and said, “Good night son.  Now with you asleep I can at least talk to your Eomma.”

He went back to the living area and found Shin Hye sitting on the sofa curled up.  She was as y as all get out in that way too large for her robe.  She had tried to tie it so it would fit better but it simply emphasized her curves.  She had cleavage showing and way too much leg showing where the robe slit up the side.   She wasn’t aware he was staring or not at first.  Then when she looked up she saw the old Min Ho standing there looking at her.  She was rather afraid of her own feelings.  To try to deflect the emotions she asked if he would like some tea.  Shaking his head to clear his thoughts he said, “Sure, tea would be nice.”

Shin Hye tried to calm down while she was in the kitchen and thought she had done so.  When she came back to the living area he was watching TV.  He was running through the programming and was amazed at how many of his re-runs where listed.  “It’s insane.”

Min Ho moved to where she was sitting and took the proffered cup of tea.  Shin Hye was nervous because she was so attracted to him and she definitely wanted more than nice friendly overtures.  He sat his cup down and turned to her pulling her into his arms.  “Finally.” He said.  And he ran his hands up her arms as she felt the tingles start.  “Shin Hye, I have been without you so long that I feel like I have died many times.  I will not lie or say otherwise, I definitely want you and want you to spend the night in my bed.  I can’t help it.  Every time I see you my desire for you is heightened and I just want to spend whatever kind of time you will give me with you.  Shin Hye, spend the night in my bed.”

She was unable to think with him so close.  His mouth was next to her face and his hands were playing music on her skin.  She wanted to – every ounce of her wanted too – but reason said that she would pay a big price if she did.  She didn’t know whether to follow her heart or her mind.  She looked up at him to answer and he took her lips in one of his earth moving kisses.  She went totally blank.  She couldn’t think and could barely breathe.  He pulled back slightly and looking into her eyes said, “Shin Hye?”  She thought what the hell?  God help me but I want to be with him.  And nodded yes.