Chapter 11 Oppa please don’t do anything foolish

Li Luo Min’s Eomma

Shin Hye’s POV:

No. No. NO.  I look up and see Min Ho.  I am looking into those eyes and my mind melts and I want to – stop it Shin Hye.

He is talking but it is all just noise.  I know what he is saying but it is all just noise.

Please God whisk me away from here.  I wish I were anywhere but here.  God no – Luo Min.  I can’t let him get a good look at Luo Min.  I turn him away from Min Ho and then guilt hits me.  I see the hurt in his eyes.  Oppa I am sorry but this is for everyone’s own good.  You said you didn’t want us so don’t look at me that way.  Think Shin Hye think.  What do I do?  I hear him say spiteful things but that is just the hurt.  I know I acted and looked like he was going to hurt me but Oppa it isn’t why – my heart is hurting.  I want to cry.  I want to run.  I want to hold him – God how I want to hold him.  But that isn’t possible.  He can’t – I can’t.  I am terrified and if those doors open right now I am running like the hounds of hell are after me?  Isn’t it the same thing? 

Dear Lord – he is saying things again but I can’t make sense of it.  Why Oppa why?  Don’t look at me.  Don’t think of me.  Don’t look at Luo Min.  Please don’t look at Luo Min.  Min Ho is looking at me like he is expecting an answer.  What was the question?  What did I miss?  I am clutching Luo Min too tightly so I have to loosen my grip. 

I am struggling for words – struggling hard.  Then a horrible sound unlike anything I have heard before is all around me.  The elevator jerks to a stop.  I feel myself falling toward Min Ho.  I try to hold on to Luo Min but I had just loosened my hold on him and as I am falling forward I see little Luo Min fly out of my hands.  He is falling but Min Ho reaches out and plucks him out of the air.  He is turning him around but he is not really paying attention – thank you Lord.  Wait!  He just looked down and stopped – he is spell-bound.  No no no – don’t think Oppa.  Hand him back to Eomma and just ignore me.  Please Oppa please? But I see the look.  I have seen it before when Oppa is connecting dots.  Oppa gives the impression that he is too lazy to care or to think a situation through but that is just Oppa’s way of deflecting attention.  I see that determination and he is staring at Luo Min.  He is really staring at him.  He looks up at me and I see a dawning realization on his face.  I cannot take this.  The look in Min Ho’s eyes as they lock on mine is tearing me up.  I could never lie to Oppa when he looked me in the eye.  I am scared.  I am really scared. 

I hear him connect the dots.  I hear him say he thought it strange.  I hear him ask who the father is – don’t look at him Shin Hye.  Don’t look into his eyes because he will know.  But I feel the pull and I am staring into his eyes and I see the realization on his face – I see the puzzlement and then I see the anger.  I want to grab Luo Min and run.  I snatch Luo Min from Min Ho.  I am going to tell him he is crazy when I feel Luo Min fidget and see 2 chubby little arms reach toward his Appa and coo.  He is so cute and I am still frozen in time.  Min Ho looks down.  I see the way his expression goes from disbelief to anger and then a softness comes over his features.  He smiles but it is a smile full of remorse and hurt.  God what do I say?  What do I do?  My mouth is so dry I cannot speak.  My mind is so torn I cannot think.  All I can do is stare at Oppa.  What will he do?

There is a voice over the intercom.  A man is asking if we are alright.  I realize a CCTV camera is above me and pointing at Min Ho.  He realizes it when I glance up.  He turns to the elevator panel and pushes a button. 
“We are fine.  Can you tell me the problem?”

The voice is telling us to hang on because there seems to be a problem with the electronics and a repairman is on the way.  The voice asks who we are so they can fill out the report.  So they can’t see us well enough to tell.  That is good - such a rich company and such lousy CCTV equipment. 

I pull my cell phone out of my pocket and there is no signal.  I have to call Ying Oppa.  I don’t know what to do.  What do I do?  How do I answer Oppa?  He is staring into my eyes again and he reached out to Luo Min who happily goes to him.  God help me.  My heart just stopped.   Oppa smiled as only Oppa can.  Luo Min smiles back and it is the same – exactly the same. 

The disembodied voice comes over the intercom again.  “Sir may we know who you are?  We really do have to fill this in and the guy from maintenance has been delayed due to a traffic situation 3 blocks away.  We are trying to get you out as quickly as possible.  Is there a woman and child with you?  We can see you but it is not clear enough to make out your features.  Sir?”

Min Ho is staring at me.  I can see all the emotions in his eyes.  He looks at me and then looks at Luo Min.  He pushes the button on the panel and speaks to the guy on the other end.  “I am with my lady and son.  Please hurry because we have somewhere to be within the hour.”

I stare but can’t speak.  Why did you say that?  Why Oppa why?  Don’t make this anymore difficult for me than it already is – why can’t I speak?

I look at Luo Min and move to take him but Min Ho turns away so I can’t.  He is talking to Luo Min.  He asks Luo Min do you know who I am?  Luo Min is cooing and enjoying the attention.  I feel the elevator move slowly and then it is moving as it should.  Min Ho looks at me and says, “What section is your car parked?  Do you have a driver with you?  Hurry and answer Shin Hye.”

I squeak out an answer telling him the section I am parked in and no driver.  I hear something that sounds like figures and then the doors are opening.  Min Ho puts Luo Min up so half Min Ho’s face is obscured and he says, “keep behind me and look down.  Put sunglasses on if you have them.”  Oppa is putting sunglasses on.

He steps out and taking my hand he pulls me with him.  He looks at the 2 men standing there and says he is Li Ying Ye and this is his family.  He tells them he is in a hurry and to excuse him.  The men are saying something but Oppa just pulls me along toward the section I parked in.  He hands me Luo Min and tells me to put him in his child seat.  Then he climbs into the passenger seat and waits for me to get into the driver’s side.

I look at him like I have no idea what to do.  I don’t know what to do.  He says, “If you stand there long enough it will attract attention.  Please get in and get us out of the garage.  I will talk to you after we exit by the attendant.”

I do what he says.  We are on the street and I look at him.  He looks at me and says, “Drive to my apartment.  Don’t argue with me right now Shin Hye, just don’t.  Go.  We will talk once we are there.”  He leaned his head back, crossed his arms and wouldn’t speak.  Luo Min is cooing and gurgling in the back seat.  He loves to ride in the car.  I can’t think so I just drive toward Oppa’s apartment. 

When we arrive he directs me to the parking area for his apartment.  It is private and no one will see us.  He opens the back door and he is looking at the car seat.  I start to go to help and he holds his hand up signaling me to not.  I am helpless.  I feel guilty but I shouldn’t.  I stand like an idiot and watch as he figures it out and gently pulls Luo Min out of the seat.  He turns and heads toward his entrance and doesn’t look back.  I follow him like a fool.

He walks in and waits for me to enter.  He closes the door and locks it.  His cell is buzzing and then my cell buzzes.  I am trying to answer and Oppa walks over takes it from me and looks at the screen.  He turns it off.  He is mumbling and I can’t hear him.  What should I do?  I am not a weak woman.  I do not do things simply because someone tries to force me to.  I am going to tell Min Ho Oppa that Luo Min and I are leaving. 

Oppa puts Luo Min down on the floor.  He asks if he should be changed because it feels as if he should.  I go to Luo Min and taking a diaper out of my bag I kneel on the floor and remove his outer clothing.  I feel Oppa’s presence. He is kneeling beside me.  I remove Luo Min’s diaper and put the clean one on.  Oppa stays my hand and turns him over again.  There is a birthmark just below his waistline.  I have seen it before.  Oppa has the same birthmark in the same spot.  Oppa looks at me with accusing eyes and I look down. 

He asks me if I want something to drink and I ask if I might have some water or tea.  I tell him it isn’t because I feel comfortable asking but Luo Min needs to be fed.  He asks do babies that young drink tea?  I know I am blushing but I tell him no I feed and I - just stop talking because Oppa has this look on his face.  It is a look of a lost child.  He has a look of regret.  He turns and goes to the kitchen and in seconds comes back with a cup of tea.  He places it on a small table by the armchair.  He looks at me with those eyes and asks do I need anything else.  I ask if he might have a small blanket or a large towel would do.  He is looking puzzled and then a dawning look comes and goes.  He leaves and returns with a large, fluffy white towel.  I tell him thank you and he turns and leaves.

I sit down and carefully fix Luo Min against me.  I open my blouse and adjust Luo Min against my so he can start to feed.  I place the towel over him and it partially hides my .  I look at my precious child and I start to sing to him.  I always sing to him when he is feeding.  He finishes one side and I switch him.  I almost doze off.  I am so tired and this day has been hell.  I can feel his stare.  I could always tell when he is watching me.  I look up and he is on the sofa across from me watching.  A wistful look comes and goes.  He looks into my eyes and then closes his and leans back.  I place Luo Min over my shoulder and burp him.  I feel it again.  He is watching but I pretend I don’t know.

Luo Min is sleeping and I snuggle with him.  He smells like a baby and he coos in his sleep as he snuggles against me.  I feel myself sigh and hold him slightly tighter.

Min Ho Oppa clears his throat and says softly, “Why Shin Hye?  Give me a reason.  Make me understand because God knows I don’t.  Make me feel like less of a fool.  Just make me understand.”

I take a deep breath.  I know I had promised to never say these words to him but the situation had changed.  I am pushing words around in my head and trying to come up with those that will not hurt but will explain.  What I said was different from what I was thinking.  I looked down and then I looked into Oppa’s eyes.  I would be brave and not look away.  I said as simply as I could, “Oppa, look at him.  Isn’t he precious and beautiful?  I did what I did to save him.  I could not consider an abortion.  I would not throw him away for anyone’s career.  He is too precious.  Oppa if I had to leave your side and go to Ying Oppa it was to save your son’s life.  I will never do anything to harm my son – your son.  You might not have wanted us because your career would suffer but I decided I would not make you choose between your career and us.  I would not have you later regret your decision to give up your career for us.”

I knew I was crying.  I knew I needed to leave.  My heart hurt so badly I couldn’t think.  I was looking at Oppa and I saw when he remembered the words, the conversation.  I saw his eyes.  He looked at me with guilty eyes.  He looked at me while regret and remorse flickered within those expressive eyes.  I heard him say, “Shin Hye.  Luo Min.  God help me I didn’t know.  I really didn’t know.”

He stood and walked to me.  He kneeled down in front of me and Luo Min.  He put a hand on both of us and softly said, “I am sorry from the bottom of my heart.  I will regret this forever.  Please forgive me.  Shin Hye I love you.  And even though you will probably doubt me, I love Luo Min.  I have always known in my heart but my mind just wasn’t receiving the messages.  Please help me.  I don’t know what to do or say.”

I cried.  I really cried.  I felt drained physically, emotionally and spiritually.  Oppa was crying too.  He looked so helpless. 

I didn’t know what to do.  Min Ho Oppa’s cell started buzzing.  He got up and picked his cell up.  He looked at the screen and then at me.  He said, “Shin Hye there might be a problem.  Did you know your husband was on a business trip to Jeju Island today?  Well, he apparently didn’t know he was stuck in an elevator either.”  He picked my cell up and turned it back on.  There were dozens of missed calls from Ying Oppa and from Eomma.  Oh crap, why?  My life should be calm and quiet.  I should be able to play the part of the peaceful Eomma and – I tell myself to just shut up.  This is not helping.

I call Ying Oppa.  He answers on the first ring.  He asks, “What is going on?  I was contacted by no less than the CEO of Lotte World who apologized profusely for his lack of manners.  He informed me that he was sorry my family and I were stuck in his elevator.  He wants to know how he can make it up to us?  Shin Hye I need you to be honest with me.”

I look at Min Ho Oppa.  I close my eyes and try to think.  “Oppa, I was caught in a situation that could have harmed my reputation and harmed Luo Min.  I don’t know how to say this but Min Ho Oppa saved us.  He sort of lied and said he was you so no rumors would start.  I am sorry Ying Oppa.  What would you like for me to do?”

I listened for a moment and shook my head yes.  I told him I would do as he wished.  I hung the phone up and looked at Oppa.  “I have to go home.  Ying Oppa is covering his tracks.  Thank God he was contacted before he went to the scheduled meeting.  His office apologized for his failure to attend the meeting by telling them he had been detained because he was stuck in an elevator earlier in the day at Lotte World.” 

Min Ho Oppa said, “Shin Hye this is not the end of this.  I can’t pretend I don’t know.  I can’t pretend I don’t care.  What would you have me do?”

“Oppa - please for now, please - pretend you don’t know anything.  Please.”  I am frantic and I know it.  I need time and I need space away from Oppa.  I could never think when I was near him.  I wanted more than anything to hold him.  I wanted my Oppa back and I wanted Luo Min to have his Appa but it was so complicated.

Min Ho's POV:

I stood and looking down at her regretted those stupid careless words I spoke so long ago.  I looked at my sleepy son and wanted them with me.  I told her to go home.  I told her we will meet again and sort it out.  I told her I would not do anything to harm her or Luo Min.  I told her I loved them both.  I gently took Luo Min from her arms.  She adjusted and buttoned her blouse.  She folded the towel and laid it on the chair.  She stood and started to take Luo Min but before she could I pulled both of them into my arms.   I simply said, “Go home.  Be safe.  You and I will talk soon.  I must think first.  Shin Hye, no matter what happens I love you and just so you know and hear this, I love my son.  I can’t believe I have a son but I love him.  Don’t doubt it.”

Shin Hye's POV:

Oppa took Luo Min from my arms.  He told me he would help me get him in the car.  He followed me out to the car.  He put Luo Min in the seat and buckled him up.  Luo Min gave a small protest cry when Oppa let go of him.  Oppa’s eyes were crying, I could tell.  He touched my arm and said, “I will call you soon. Please answer when I do.”  He looked at me again and then went back toward his entrance.  I got in the car and left.  I left with a heavy hurt heart.  I ached for my Oppa.  I realized he was still there in my mind and in my heart.

Min Ho’s POV:

I didn’t try to kiss her.  She was after all a married woman.  I want - no need to ask her more about that but for now I will respect it.  I didn’t want to that was for sure.  I had a son.  He was just like me.  I had these feelings that I couldn’t categorize nor could I put a word to them.  I just felt.  I felt love and I felt jealousy.  My son was being raised, no claimed by another man.  I never realized – I never thought those stupid careless words of mine would be taken as my true feelings and would set in motion a plan that would mess our lives up this badly.  I didn’t want to say something careless again.  But I was not going to sit by and let someone else have my woman or my son.  I knew I would have to be smart about this.  I would have to think this through very carefully.  I just realized for the first time in a year I felt hope.  I realized that I had been lying to myself about Shin Hye.  I had convinced myself she was no good.  I convinced myself I didn’t love her.  I now knew that I loved her beyond any reason or doubt.  I just loved her.  And now I had a son I loved too.  What a strange thing for me to say, My Son.  So now I need to carefully think how to make everything right.