Chapter 17 Little things you do or say

Li Luo Min’s Eomma

Shin Hye tried to slip out without Min Ho hearing her.  But he was already up and waiting.  He knew she would try to avoid him so she could skip the embarrassment.  Luo Min was his ace-in-the-hole.  Luo Min took one look at Min Ho and walked over and got between his legs and stared at him; dead in the eye.  Shin Hye took one look and throwing her hands in the air turned and went toward the kitchen.  Min Ho could hear her banging stuff around.  He grinned and ruffled Luo Min’s hair.  “Good kid.  But listen little one – really you can’t go around hitting your Appa over the head.  I don’t care if it has to do with your Eomma.  I am your Appa and I say you can’t do it.”  He was looking sternly at Luo Min.

Luo Min was gazing at his Appa with a most solemn look.  He pointed toward the kitchen and said, “Mine Eomma.”

He stared at Min Ho for a few seconds longer as if to make sure Min Ho got the point and then toddled off toward the kitchen.

Sheesh - this is not going the way I want thought Min Ho.  But on the other hand he was downright proud of Luo Min.  Who else would think to confront Lee Min Ho and stare him down but another Min Ho.  He was grinning just thinking about what a pair they were.

“It isn’t that cute.” Shin Hye cut across his thoughts.  He stopped grinning and tried to look serious and crestfallen.  He looked into her eyes and just couldn’t do it.  He laughed out loud.  “Ah come on Shin Hye.  You have to admit the little guy is absolutely me made over.”  She threw her hands in the air and went back into the kitchen.

He walked into the kitchen and said, “Alright, I am sorry.  I won’t say such stupid stuff again. No, I don’t think you have been in that situation since 9 months before he was born.  I know you and you aren’t the type.  I didn’t mean it the way it came out.  Shin Hye, I love you and would never say something to hurt you.  Well, not intentionally.  Aisshhhh, girl, can’t you tell when I am sorry?”

She looked at him and sighed.  She was lost again.  She couldn’t take him being sad even over such a stupid something.

“Alright you are forgiven.  What do you want for breakfast?  Pancakes?  Luo Min is like you he loves pancakes.”

“Pancakes would be fabulous.  He likes pancakes like I do too?  Whoa, I am a little unsettled here.  I will be worried he will take my place in acting and modeling soon.”

Shin Hye, “I am thinking of signing him to an acting contract since he is as big a ham as his Appa.”  She sniggered and left the room. 

“Humpphhff, wonder what she meant by that?”

Min Ho and Luo Min seemed to be in a contest to see who could eat the most pancakes.  They both liked a lot of syrup on their pancakes.  Min Ho had coffee with his and Luo Min had orange juice.  They both finished and looked happy.  Luo Min held his arms toward Min Ho and said, “Appa.”

Min Ho was sunk again and picked him up and told Shin Hye, “We will go and wash syrup off.”

When the two came back Min Ho thought they should sit and discuss where they wanted to take their lives – what they planned for the future.  He knew what he planned but he needed to hear Shin Hye’s plans. 

They went into the living area and Shin Hye settled Luo Min on the rug to play.  He was a solemn little guy at times.  Min Ho started the conversation by telling her his plans for his life after enlistment.  He figured his first priority was not just to re-establish his acting and modeling career but to make sure Shin Hye and Luo Min were taken care of should there come a time it was needed.

Shin Hye was quick to tell him not to worry about Luo Min’s financial future.  She had earned and saved enough money to live comfortably even if she decided not to resume acting.  She told him Luo Min was the heir to the Li Industries.  Min Ho was extremely touchy on the subject.  He told her she would have to talk to Ying Ye about it because it was not right for his son to be another man’s heir. 

Shin Hye told him it was the agreement she made before she married Ying Ye.  He wanted an heir and she agreed to provide him with one.  They continued to fuss back and forth with no winners. 

The next subject was whether Shin Hye felt comfortable or not with his parents meeting Luo Min.  She was quiet.  “Oppa, I have thought much on this subject.  I don’t have the courage to face them but I want them to know him.  I don’t know how we can do this and not have someone find out though.  How can we do it safely?”

Min Ho said, “Perhaps if they came here?  We could protect you and Luo Min that way.  There wouldn’t be anyone to leak the information if we are here.  What do you think?”

They continued to discuss how to make the meeting happen not if they should.  It was finally decided that Shin Hye and Luo Min would return in 2 days time.  He didn’t understand why she couldn’t just stay there but she insisted it was a bad idea.  She had to go home.  She would bring Luo Min back in 2 days to meet his grandparents.  But Shin Hye warned she wasn’t sure how Ying Ye would respond to this information.  He had been nothing but helpful and truthful with her.  She had to be the same with him.  Min Ho wanted her and Luo Min to stay longer.  While trying to convince her to stay longer he got a call from his agency.  They wanted him to come there for some publicity shots.  He also was scheduled for a commercial shoot that afternoon.  They wanted to keep him in the public’s eye and this was the best way to do it.  The military would allow it since it was during his furlough. 

Shin Hye watched Min Ho on the evening newscast.  He had been interviewed at his agency.  The woman reporter was openly flirting with Min Ho.  He appeared to be boyishly embarrassed at times and blushed accordingly.  “Such an – “ Shin Hye was going to say something more but stopped in time because Luo Min was watching the TV.  He pointed to the TV and said, “Appa.”

Shin Hye sighed and thought I just know it is going to blow up in my face one of these days.  I just know it.

Min Ho had started his furlough on Monday.  She had spent the day and night with him on Tuesday.  It was now Thursday and the plan was to go to Min Ho’s apartment Thursday.  She was nervous and anxious.  She felt like her heart would jump out of her body at any moment.  His parents would be there and this was still Korea where she would be judged harshly.  She wished it was over and she could go home to bed to sleep. 

She rang the bell and waited for someone to answer.  It seemed to take hours when in truth it was moments.  Min Ho opened the door.  Shin Hye was dressed in a conservative dress with matching coat that showed off her tiny waist.  Luo Min was in pants with a long sleeved polo shirt – blue of course – and a coat with matching cap.  He looked like a miniature Min Ho ready to walk the runway.  He ushered them in and took their coats.  He put his hand on her arm and squeezed.  He whispered, “So far so good.  Just be yourself.  Luo Min will – “ Min Ho was in the process of trying to reassure Shin Hye about Luo Min meeting his parents when they realized Luo Min had jumped the gun and was already standing in front of Min Ho’s Eomma.

Min Ho hurried to stand behind Luo Min.  “Appa, Eomma this is Li Luo Min.  This is my son.”  He pulled Shin Hye forward.  “This is Park Shin Hye.  She is Luo Min’s Eomma and she means everything to me.  Please be kind to us.  We know we have done wrong.  We are sorry to you that we are putting you through so much turmoil and heartache.  Please forgive us.”

Shin Hye stepped forward bowed and said, “I, too, apologize for the trauma we are and have subjected you to.  Please do not blame Min Ho Oppa.  I take full responsibility for the situation we are currently facing.  I beg your forgiveness.”

She bowed again and kept her gaze down so not to embarrass his parents or herself.  Had she been looking at his parents she would have seen forgiveness on their faces and hope.

Min Ho’s Appa said, “You two have been through quite an ordeal.  I agree it is unfortunate and the consequences will never go away.  Luo Min will pay the price into his adulthood unless you two can come up with a way out of this.  We leave that to you.  You got into this and you should be the ones to get out of it.  Should you want our advice we will always be there for you.  Now, Ms. Park, you are not the sole person responsible for this mess.  And we do not hold this against you.  Of course, we would have liked to have had a grandson we could talk and brag about.  This is a mind-boggling situation.  Also if you ever need us we are here for you.”

Min Ho’s Eomma was under scrutiny by a very interested Luo Min.  He climbed up onto the sofa and settled next to Min Ho’s Eomma.  She looked at Min Ho and Shin Hye with a question in her eyes.  Shin Hye shrugged.  It was always interesting to see what Luo Min would say.  He turned to his grandmother and said, “Mine Hamin.” 

Min Ho’s mother looked at Shin Hye.  Shin Hye said, “Oh my, he is trying to say Halmoni.  He calls my Eomma, Hamin.”

“Really?  He called me Grandmother? How does he know?”

Min Ho said, “We tried to get him to call me ajeossi but he refuses.  From the very first word he said to now he calls me Appa.  It is dangerous I know but still it makes me happy.”

Luo Min heard the word Appa.  He looked at Min Ho pointed to him and said, “Appa.”  He pointed to Shin Hye and said, “Mine Eomma.”  Then he pointed to Min Ho’s Eomma and said, “Mine Hamin.”

Min Ho’s Eomma was softly crying.  She asked if she could hold Luo Min. Or could she if he would allow it?  She had no more said those words than Luo Min laid his book of pictures down and climbed onto her lap and hugged her.  He patted her face and said, “Me Li Luo Min.  Mine Hamin.”  He laid his head on her shoulder. 

Min Ho, Shin Hye and his parents all had wet eyes.  Min Ho’s Appa said, “Wonder who he thinks I am?” 

Luo Min stared intently at Min Ho’s Appa for a second and then turned to look at Min Ho.  He looked back at Min Ho’s Appa and while pointing his finger toward him said, “Mine habejo.” 

Shin Hye said, “Oh my, he calls my Appa, habejo.  He is trying to say hal-abeoji.  This is too weird for words.  How he just knows is beyond me.”

Min Ho’s Eomma could not resist.  She had to know.  “What does he call Mr. and Mrs. Li?”

Min Ho looked at his Eomma with a frown but she ignored him while waiting on Shin Hye to answer. 

Shin Hye said sadly, “I know it is odd but he refuses to call them grandfather or grandmother.   He just refuses.  I do not know why he thinks as he does.” 

Min Ho said under his breath, “Smart kid.  He knows his Appa.  I think the kid is brilliant.  He must take after me.”  He was grinning.  Shin Hye smacked his arm and then realized what she had done and blushed; brightly blushed.  She said, “Luo Min come with me and we will go and freshen you up.” 

Luo Min climbed down and looked at Min Ho’s parents saying, “Me back. Me like.”  He went with his Eomma to the kitchen.

Min Ho said, “Well what do you think?”  He knew it was a crazy situation.  He knew all the bad things that could be said.  But he wanted his parents to like Shin Hye and to like Luo Min.  The parents looked at him and sighed. “Min Ho,” said his Eomma.  “I think he is adorable.  I would love to be able to tell the world he is ours but I can’t.  Perhaps Shin Hye will let us meet and see him as she can.  This is very difficult you know?”

Min Ho told them he knew how difficult it was.  He told them he had exactly one year in service left and he hoped to come up with a plan before he was discharged.  He told them all he could do was promise them he would try to make it right.  He told them it was so complicated now that he did not know if there was a way. 

The parents stayed another hour until Luo Min became sleepy.  Shin Hye made her apologies and told them she had to take Luo Min home.  Min Ho wanted, desperately wanted her to stay but knew she had a routine as did Luo Min.  He walked them to the door after they said their goodbyes to his parents.  Luo Min had hugged everyone at least twice. 

Shin Hye lightly touched his arm and said, “I’ll call you tonight.  This is hard on you I know.  We just have to be calm and logical.  Take care.” 

He went back into the room to see his parents having a hushed argument.  “What?”  Min Ho said.

Eomma, “Min Ho, what are you going to do?  You may have to give up on Shin Hye and Luo Min considering how volatile this situation.  I don’t wish any of this on you or for that matter, Shin Hye.  I don’t know how to advise you because what most people would do I don’t think you would do.  I am so sorry my son for this horrible predicament you have found yourself in.  Be strong but most of all be calm and don’t let your emotions speak for you.  The heart is important but not if it destroys what can be and what should be.  Think before taking action always.  I love you and support you but what you do now will effect all you love in the future.”

The parents left.  It was a sad day.  They were not sure that their son would ever get over Shin Hye and Luo Min if he couldn’t be with them.  They did not want him to live a life where his son was hidden from everyone.  Such a mess!

Shin Hye arrived home to find Ying Oppa and Zhi Oppa in the midst of a heated argument.  They stopped when Luo Min entered the room behind her.  She told them she would take him to his room to play.  She quickly ushered Luo Min pass the men and into his room.  She turned music on and set up his toy race track rug. She found the cars that went with it and placed them on the rug so that he could use his imagination to build a scenario.  He was good at that just like Min Ho.  Sighing, she kissed the top of his head and told him she would be right back after she got his juice.

In the living area the two were at it again but with angry muted voices.  They looked at her as she passed by on her way to the kitchen.

“Shin Hye, I need to talk to you now.  Would you come to my office?  Zhi, we will continue this conversation later.”

Shin Hye took the juice to Luo Min and told him to play for a while.  She said,”I will be in Appa’s office if you need me.”

Luo Min was pushing a car through a green light as Shin Hye talked to him about his Appa.  She shut the door and Luo Min looked toward the door and then down at his car.  “No Appa.  Me Appa go.”

Shin Hye knocked on Ying Oppa’s door.  She entered and sat in the chair facing the desk and Ying Oppa. 

“Oppa, is something wrong?”

“Shin Hye, are you going to continue to try to take Luo Min to see Min Ho?  I know he has 10 days of leave left.  I really don’t like this Shin Hye – I don’t like you going there and taking Luo Min.”

“Oppa, he really wants to see Luo Min.  You know how Luo Min is where Min Ho Oppa is concerned.  He has instinctively known who he was from the time he could talk.   Do you not remember how he would stare at his picture on TV?  I have never told Luo Min that Min Ho Oppa is his Appa.  Never.  But Oppa do not tell me to not visit Oppa.  I do not know what the future holds and I will honor our agreement but do not tell me who I may or may not talk to or visit.”

Shin Hye was upset - very upset.  She did not like conflict and would avoid it if possible.  She started to leave when Ying Oppa told her to stay.

“Shin Hye, I have been thinking about leaving Korea and China.  I will not ask you and Luo Min to go with me.  I have been offered a position with Cal Berkley and am considering it.  I will soon tell you my decision.  It will not change our agreement.  Should I go, I will leave this house and grounds to you and Luo Min.  I will not cause you any hardships.”

Shin Hye stood and left.  She did not want an argument with Ying Oppa.  But she was starting to feel anxious about many things.  Her unsettled feelings toward Min Ho Oppa were at the front of all other worries.  What should she think?  What could she do to help Min Ho Oppa? She shook her head to clear her thoughts and went to check on Luo Min.

Perhaps, she thought, I should go back to work?

Min Ho had paced back and forth too many times circling the idea that he might not be able to have Shin Hye and Luo Min in his life.  He was worried.  He had an event to attend that night.  He had asked his manager who else was invited.  He was trying to find out if Shin Hye and Ying Ye would be there but wanted to be subtle about it.  His manager was adamant that he not have any dealings with Shin Hye otherwise everything might just blow up in his face.

The event was at one of the larger international hotel chains in downtown Seoul.  It was decked out in Christmas finery and was ablaze with twinkling lights everywhere.  Min Ho’s arrival was chaos.  Fans were everywhere and he couldn’t get out of his car.  Fans and paparazzi were pushing each other.  Finally police from the station a block over arrived to form a path for Min Ho.  He stopped at the top of the steps leading into the hotel and waved at his fans.  Cameras clicked and flashed constantly.  He was inside and walking around greeting old friends and co-stars. This was a large charity event for several past disasters within the Korean boundaries.  The event manager hoped by having famous people like Lee Min Ho,  Kim Jaejoong, Kim Yu-na, Daniel Dae-Kim, Kim Hyun-joong, Park Shin Hye and more that the event will pull in enough money to actually help disaster victims.  There was a small brochure lying on the table Min Ho was seated listing the celebrities attending.  He saw Shin Hye and Ying Ye’s names.  He thought this will be one hell of a night.  With Shin Hye’s arrival the crowd outside became boisterous.  They were trying to ask questions about Shin Hye’s future plans.  Her fans wanted her to resume acting.  Fans were trying to hand her flowers.  She was gathering flowers as she walked toward the hotel stairs.  She stopped at the top of the steps and waved.  She shouted I Love You to her fans who were clapping.  She had been missed. 

Ying Ye was holding the door open for her and he was being very attentive.  The men were mostly dressed in formal attire except for a few of the more flamboyant idols.  The women were mostly in evening attire but there were always a few who dressed too scantily or with dubious choices.  Such is society life anywhere.   The table where Min Ho was sitting was crowded with women.  Several idol stars seem to think he was theirs for the crook of a finger.  Min Ho was beginning to find it uncomfortable.  He was worried Shin Hye would see and get the wrong idea.  A reporter and photographer were roaming the event talking to the guest and taking photos.  At Min Ho’s table the reporter concentrated on Park Bom and Min Ho.  She was almost sitting in his lap.  He knew she had been infatuated with him for several years but he had not encouraged it.  She was calling Min Ho by the title “My Oppa” as if there were some sort of agreement between them.  He tried to guide the conversation down a side track and talk about some of the more needy charities in Korea but the reporter was having none of it.  He was interested in whether he could start a scandal and how successful it might be.  Min Ho had just about had enough when he saw Shin Hye walk into the room. 

Min Ho’s POV:

She is beautiful.  She is in a low cut red form fitting floor length gown.  There is no back to the gown.  The gown seems to be of some sort of satiny material and is covered with lace.  Her hair is shiny and lustrous.  It is done in a single braid that seems to wind around her head and then fall down to well below her shoulders.  It is magnificent especially with her dress.  She is in those heels she likes so much.  They always make her tall enough to kiss.  I want to walk over and claim her.  I don’t like the way all those men have suddenly surrounded her.  Ying Ye has left her side and is talking to several big time names in the movie production line.  He could at least have stayed by her side to protect her.  Whoa – too many men putting their hands on her arm.  And of course, who should appear to save her but Geun Suk.  I can see him pushing his way through.  He stops next to her and says her name.  She turns and grins saying “Oppa!”  And they hug.  “Oppa” my foot.  Why is Geun Suk always somewhere close to Shin Hye?  I know there isn’t anything romantic between them but I feel better when there is a lot of space between them – a lot of space.  She is laughing and joking with all the guys.  Why are there no women in the crowd?  Why don’t the women come and take the men away?  That would be a win-win situation for me.  Hehe….I am chuckling when thinking how funny it would look.  Park Bom takes that moment to grab the photographer’s attention and a photograph.  She turns to look to see who I am looking at and then pouts.   Like I care who pouts?

“My Oppa, do not stare at women you cannot have when you have me standing right here in front of you.  Oppa come to me.”  She leaned over and planted a kiss on his cheek.  He was really starting to get irritated.  His manager saw the look and worked his way into the circle around the table.  “Min Ho, you are needed.  Would you mind following me, please?”

Min Ho removed Park Bom’s hands from his arm, turned and bowed while looking at all the ladies.  “I am sorry but duty calls.  Please excuse me.”

Shin Hye saw him when she glanced around the room.  She didn’t want to look in his direction for too long otherwise someone might notice.  She was thankful to Geun Suk Oppa for coming to her rescue.  She didn’t mind talking to the guys but she didn’t want Oppa to misunderstand.  It seemed she should not have worried since he was so into Park Bom at the moment.

Geun Suk pulled her away from her admirers and said, “Sorry guys I need to talk to my commercial partner.  We have a deal to make or break right now.  Later, Ciao!”  And he guided her to a more isolated table.  “Well, Shinnie my love, what are you up too?”

Shin Hye looked like she was ready to cry.  “Shinnie, brace up.  A reporter and photographer are headed in this direction.  I see Ying Ye coming toward us from the other direction.  Smile, my lady, smile!”

Shin Hye smiled and Ying Ye came up behind her and placed a kiss on top of her head.  Geun Suk had a smirk on his face as the photographer caught the three in a picture that would grace the pages of the gossip tabloids the next day.  Actually, Ying Ye looked smitten with Shin Hye and she looked shyly demur.   Geun Suk looked like a rascal as usual but he loved to give that impression.

Geun Suk was looking around the room when he felt as if he were being stared at – he casually looked around and landed on Min Ho.  Min Ho had a look Geun Suk couldn’t quite place.  He was looking at Geun Suk but passed by him to look at Shin Hye and Ying Ye.  So, thought Geun Suk, you haven’t lost the feeling either.   I wonder why you broke up?  I wonder if there is a story behind the look?  He kept watching Min Ho and the more he watched the more something tugged at his memory.  There was something he needed to remember but couldn’t quite put his finger on it.  Hummm, he thought, this will require more thought.  He looked back to Shin Hye and met her eyes.  She had a panicky look in her eyes and he looked back to Min Ho.  How odd he was thinking.

He turned to Shin Hye and started talking about the possibility of her appearing in another commercial spread with him.  He told her she needed to come back to TV and commercials.   “It is so boring without you my pet.”  And he laughed at the look on her face.  She had always been the most fun to be with and he missed her too much, way too much.

He glanced around the room to find Min Ho looking at him.  He gave a visible start because he just figured out what it was that was tickling the back of his mind.  Looking back to Shin Hye he said, “No way.  There is no way in hell what I am thinking could be true.  Shin Hye?”

Shin Hye was truly panicked.  What is Geun Suk asking?  What is going on?  The reporter was standing just to the back of Ying Ye and he was picking up on some interesting vibes.  He looked at Geun Suk who had closed down so nothing more was coming from him.  He looked in the direction Geun Suk had been looking as he said some interesting things to Park Shin Hye.   He saw too many people to figure out who he was looking at.  No one was looking at Geun Suk or Shin Hye so who had been in his line of vision?  This was a puzzle the reporter would need more time to think about.

Ying Ye sat and held Shin Hye’s hand.  She was as uncomfortable as she had ever been.  Geun Suk was now talking to a person seated at the table in front of them.  Min Ho had disappeared from sight.  The reporter was not to be seen.  She wanted to leave and now.  She knew it was impossible because she was one of the speakers as was Ying Ye.  

The event seemed to drag on forever.  She wanted to make sure those in need received help but she wanted away from curious eyes.  If this event hadn’t been for disaster relief she would have left.  But she would brave anything to make sure those less fortunate had a better chance at life.

Geun Suk had been giving her one of those ‘well who would have thought’ looks.  She hated it when he did that.  Ying Ye had already given his speech and he had donated to the charity.  Shin Hye was scheduled next to last and she wondered who would be the last speaker.  She was looking around the room gauging the interest in the charity event.  People seemed genuinely concerned making it all bearable.

One of the program assistants came to her table and asked her to follow her to prepare for her turn.  She stood behind the curtain and waited.  She had little to say other than to make a plea for others to help.  She would donate money but not for public acknowledgment.  She would donate privately.

She felt someone stand close and turning she was looking at Min Ho’s mouth.  “Do you like it that much?”  He purred. 

She stepped back and he stepped forward.  “Stop!” Shin Hye said.  He stopped but he was grinning. 

He said, “Did they tell you we will present the last part of the program together?”

Shin Hye started to speak when the production manager came toward her and said, “I’m sorry Shin Hye but my assistant says she forgot to tell you that you will be doing the closing of this event with Mr. Lee.  Will this be a problem?”

She looked from Min Ho to the production manager.  “No, not a problem.  Why should it be a problem?  What do you want us to do?”

He handed her a card saying, “Just follow the guideline and say what you feel in your heart.  Thank you both for being so generous and for the time you are donating.”

Shin Hye looked at Min Ho and he said, “Do you want to follow your heart here in front of everyone?  What would happen if you did or if I did?”

She briefly touched his arm whispering, “I will kill you.  Are you so eager to die?  Just follow the directions and speak only of the event Min Ho.  I am warning you!”

The announcer said, “Now we have two people who have been friends for a long time.  They have acted together in dramas and commercials.  They will tell us a little about the importance of this event and then we will end.   Thank you for your participation and for your attendance.  Please be generous.”

Min Ho turned to face Shin Hye.  The cameras were on them.  He offered his arm and she put her arm through his.  They walked out onto the stage and looked at the audience.  Min Ho started by saying, “Hello everyone.  I am here tonight to help raise awareness regarding many disaster events that have occurred in South Korea this past year.  Families are slowly regaining hope and slowly building back what they lost but they need our support, love and help.  I will donate through my foundation.  Please, even if it is only one yen, donate.  Everything is appreciated.  My lovely Shin Hye, my favorite co-star would like to say something also.”

The cameras were on her and she was sweating.  Min Ho was holding onto her arm and wouldn’t let go.  If she tried harder to get free it would cause a big mess.  So she smiled and thanked everyone for coming.  She asked for those able to donate to please do so.  She made sure that everyone understood the gravity of the situation and stated again how the money would be used.  She turned to leave and found she could not because Min Ho was still holding her arm.  He said under his breath.  “Walk out as I do Shin Hye.  Make it look good.”

Shin Hye bowed her head as did Min Ho and they left the stage together.  The event was over but the night had just begun.  The stage cameras were off but there were many news reporters and photographers snapping their pictures.  Shin Hye managed to slip her arm out of Min Ho’s and Ying Ye came to stand next to her.  She slipped her arm through his and turning to Min Ho thanked him for his help.  Ying Ye said something along the same lines and they turned and left.  Min Ho watched till she was off the stage and then turned back to answer questions.   There were a few questions asking if he and Shin Hye were still that friendly.  He answered that good friends were always friendly.

Ying Ye did not say much on the way home.  He told Shin Hye he needed to think about their situation and what to do.  He realized she was as much in love with Min Ho as she had ever been.  He knew he wanted more freedom in his life with Zhi Qiang.   Everything was so complicated.   Everything was not clear-cut and no one was truly happy in their little world except perhaps Luo Min.

Min Ho dialed her number again.  He would try one more time and then he would go to the Li house.  This was ridiculous.  He needed to talk to her; he desperately needed to touch her and hold her.  She answered on the fourth ring. 

“Hello.”  She sounded exasperated.   

“Yah, what’s with you? Don’t you know how to be more respectful on the phone?”

“Oppa, I can’t talk now.  Ying Ye’s parents are on their way to our house.  I don’t know what is going on but his Appa said it is important and they wish to speak to Ying Ye and me.  I will call you back later if it is not too late.  Good night for now.”

Shin Hye, he was thinking, one way or the other you are going to spend some time with me before I go back to the base.  Even if I have to steal you away I will spend time with you.  Good night my love, sleep well.