Chapter 22 Merry Christmas to my Loves

Li Luo Min’s Eomma

It was mid-morning and Min Ho had heard nothing from Shin Hye.  He was worried that somehow news of the Li Family would leak out before she was prepared to deal with the consequences.   The worse part of this difficult situation was the fact he was in no position to help her deal with anything.  Sure he thought I can be there for her behind the scenes but I want to be there to give her support no matter where or when.  He sighed so loudly his Eomma heard him.

Min Ho’s Eomma said, “Min Ho my dear, why the long face?  Why the sighs every five minutes?  You can use me for a sounding board you know.”

“Aisshhhh Eomma,”  Min Ho said as he raked his fingers through his hair, “I feel helpless.  How can I help my Shin Hye and Luo Min if I have to be invisible?”

Eomma replied, “You know I am proud of the way you are handling this.  Many men, especially in the society we live in would ignore or not claim a son out-of-wedlock.   Your chance will come just be there behind the scenes for your little family.  If what you told us yesterday is true then Shin Hye is in for a hard road.  Just be there my son; and we are here for you.”

Min Ho walked over to his Eomma and hugged her.  “Thanks Eomma.  I wouldn’t be where I am without you and Appa.  Thank you.  I hope it works out, it has to work out.  I will go crazy if it doesn’t.”

He hugged her again and then walked aimlessly back toward the patio doors.  Eomma was worried about him and she worried about her little grandson that she could not claim.

Shin Hye’s parents were shocked by the news.  They still had no idea about Luo Min and Min Ho.  Now wasn’t the time to tell them either Shin Hye realized.  Too much information of this sort at this time would send her Appa after Min Ho.  She didn’t want more problems before the first one was solved.  Shin Hye would have to eventually tell her parents that Min Ho was Luo Min’s Appa.  When that came about her Appa would go ballistic.  She might never be able to have a relationship with Min Ho if her Appa decided he would not forgive Min Ho.  Shin Hye thought just how old am I?  And at this age why am I embroiled in such drama?  Ha, she thought, being an adult absolutely with no doubt at times.  

Shin Hye’s phone was buzzing.  She looked down and saw Ying Oppa’s name.  She answered, “Ying Oppa?  Where are you and what is going on?”

Ying Ye told Shin Hye to listen carefully, “Shin Hye I am in California.  I have been preparing here for some time so I already have a house and a position at the hospital.  My lawyer will contact you tomorrow since today is Christmas.   Everything he has for you is set-up to your advantage.  Just take what I am offering and don’t argue or have false pride concerning my offer.  It is only fair to you and will back up my story.  Please Shin Hye my dear, I will not be at peace if you don’t at least take what I offer in the divorce settlement.  What I said when Appa was listening – well about that – Shin Hye you can call me anytime.  I just needed to reinforce for Appa that we were through and I wanted no communication with you if it did not concern Luo Min.  I want you and Luo Min to be careful.  Be wise about who and where you are seen – you know I am talking about Min Ho.  Thank God he has another year in service so it will be easier for you two to stay apart.  Shin Hye after he gets out take my advice and go after him.  Don’t let some other woman grab what you want.  Don’t let this chance for a happy ending fall by the wayside.  Go after your heart’s desire.  Shin Hye if I can do it so can you.  Now love, I must hang up the time difference is killing me.  Call me whenever you want and Zhi says you better call him sometime soon.  Shin Hye give Luo Min a kiss for me and tell him Appa says Merry Christmas.  Shin Hye despite the heartaches try to be happy and oh yes, a Merry Christmas to you my love.  Bye for now.”  And with that the line went dead.  She stared at the phone as if it had sprouted two heads.  Ying Oppa just stay safe and happy that is enough for me. 

Her phone was buzzing again and she saw Min Ho Oppa’s name.  She was watching Luo Min and her Appa playing so she walked to her room and closed the door.  She sat on the bed and answered the phone.  “Oppa, Merry Christmas!”

“Yah, Shin Hye! Why did you take so long to answer?  Where are you?  You worry me you know?  And I love you and Merry Christmas!  Are you around Luo Min?  Can I talk to him?”

“Whew! Oppa, slow down!!! I love you too Oppa.  Luo Min is playing with Appa right now.  What are you doing?”

Min Ho took a deep breath and let it out.  “Shin Hye, I just worry about you all the time.  I guess it is being a male toward his female.  I want to know where you are at all times just in case you need me.  Crazy sounding right?  Shin Hye, I am going home in an hour.  I told my parents I need to get some sleep before tomorrow.  How about you and Luo Min come and visit?  It’s Christmas Day and I want to be with you two more than anything in the world.  Do you think you could possibly manage it?”

“Oppa I will see if I can leave.  Appa and Eomma are going to church.  I went to the morning service so it is not a problem.  I will call you if I can manage it.  I must go now.”

Min Ho looked at the silent phone.  He thought, just for a few minutes, if nothing else Shin Hye, just long enough for me to look at you and Luo Min.  I need that image to survive.  He got his coat and told his parents and noona goodbye and he would see them tomorrow before his Appa drove him back to base.  He told his Eomma he would call her later that day.

Shin Hye approached her parents and told them she would go home.  She would like for Luo Min to spend the day at home.  She would be fine and so would Luo Min.  Perhaps Eomma could keep her doggies a little longer?  Luo Min was alright around the doggies but he seemed to have an allergy to dog dander.  His pediatrician said he would likely outgrow it so it was a wait and see process.  Being exposed little by little would help him build up a tolerance for it.  She was thinking she should warn Min Ho because he might have his little doggy at home today.

She drove home first.  She wanted to change clothes and she wanted to pick-up something she had bought for Oppa’s Christmas present.  She hoped he liked it.

She arrived at his apartment and rang the bell.  He opened the door and pulled them both in.  He picked Luo Min up and kissed his cheek.  “Merry Christmas Luo Min!”  He leaned over and lightly kissed Shin Hye.  “Merry Christmas to my one and only!”

Luo Min looked with disgust toward his parents.  Luo Min put his hand over Min Ho’s mouth and shook his head.  “No Appa, No.”  Then Luo Min hid his eyes as if he could not stand such behavior.

Min Ho laughed as he bounced Luo Min in the air.  “I know Luo Min but for today Appa wants to touch Eomma.  I will be gone tomorrow for a long time and won’t see you or Eomma for a full year so give Appa a little slack today, huh?”

Luo Min shook his head and sighed.  It was as if he were thinking ‘what is with these people?  Doesn’t Appa understand the word No means hands off?’ 

Min Ho and Shin Hye burst out laughing at the display of emotions on Luo Min’s face.  He was such a cute little boy.

Min Ho told Shin Hye to come into the house.  Luo Min was with his Appa as they settled onto the sofa.  Shin Hye took the Christmas present out of her bag and handed it to Min Ho.  “This is from Luo Min and me.  It is self-explanatory.  Open it up!”

Luo Min was clapping and saying, “Open Appa.”

Min Ho opened the present.  It was a beautiful hand-crafted and exquisitely decorated Japanese keepsake box.  He opened it and 3 matching bracelets lay on the rich fabric.   They were white silver with open-worked patterns.  At close look, Min Ho saw all three of their initials intricately woven around each other.  They were beautiful works of art.  There was one to fit him, one for Shin Hye and one for Luo Min.  Min Ho picked up the smallest one and fastened it on Luo Min’s wrist.  He selected the middle one and fastened on Shin Hye’s wrist.  He then clasped the largest one around his wrist.  “Shin Hye these are beautiful.  Don’t you worry someone will notice we all have the same bracelet?”

Shin Hye replied, “You will be in service for a year and won’t be able to wear it but I will know you have something with all our initials twined together.  It is like the thread of fate.  The designs on our bracelets entwine our fates together forever – whether we are together or not, we are forever entwined together.  It is me saying my life is forever with you and Luo Min.  I love you Oppa.  I always have and I always will.” 

Luo Min was fascinated with his bracelet.  He put his against Min Ho’s and compared them.  “Good.  Appa good,” said Luo Min as he turned back to the toy he was dismantling.

Min Ho gathered Shin Hye into his arms and leaned back on the sofa to hold her.  Luo Min saw this and immediately squirmed his way between them.  It was a sandwich hug.  Min Ho chuckled and the 3 stayed that way for a while savoring their love together. Min Ho was thinking I will be gone again tomorrow but I don’t leave with a shattered heart this time.  This time I know my family is here waiting on me.  I know I will come back to them.  It no longer matters what the situation is I just know my heart is healed and I am grateful.

And they stayed that way till Luo Min had enough togetherness and went to play.  Shin Hye and Min Ho gazed at each other.  Min Ho took a chance and said, “Can you spend Christmas night here with me? I ask nothing more.”

Shin Hye shook her head yes.  She wanted very much to spend this last night of his furlough with him.  He was pleased.  They no longer were antagonistic toward each other; they no longer circled each other’s words hunting for the hurt and sad parts; they no longer despaired of love ever finding a way; they were content to be with each other.  They had found their place in all the madness of the world and for this short period of time, this one special day, they would go about loving as a young ordinary family.