Her family

Switch!

That day, it was special for Hyosung's father. So he made the night's dinner a gathering for his family and the employees in his business.

But to hyosung, it was also special. "Go on, Madam Hyosung, I'm sure the dinner is for you. Happy Birthday once again."

"I sure hope so, Hakyeon-ah."

 

Two young men, hyosung's older brothers, sat across from hyosung and her two uncles.There were no female in the household except for hyosung herself. It was one of the reasons why she became so manly. A few minutes later, the employees and business partners arrived and took their places. Before the gathering begun officially, hyosung's father made a toast.

"I have gathered you tonight because there is a special ocassion. Finally, after all his hard work, the youngest man in this family, and also the co-director of the company, had acquired one of his long time desires. He sucessfully set up a branch of our business in New York. Not only that, he already negotiated with some of the high-ranked business companies and was assured of their support. It is indeed an accomplishment worthy to acknowledge. This dinner is in celebration of my son's great contribution to our family heritage. Thankyou for being able to come, now you may enjoy the dinner."

Everyone clapped and congratulated hyosung's father. The youngest brother was greeted by the employees and was the main man in the gathering.

"Congratulations, You deserve it, Mr Jeon. Wow, your sons grew up to be just like you. You have Jin Hyuk, the oldest who is a renowned politician in the country and Woo Bin, the heir of the family business. What more could you ask for!" one of her father's friends said to him.

"Yes, yes. What a blessed family." 

"Well, thank you. I am truly flattered."

"Hmph." a curly-haired woman holding a fancy fan grunted. "Hah. You have one flaw though. Your daughter, Hyosung."

Mr Jeon furrowed his forehead, showing his deep wrinkles. 

Hyosung was like a taboo to Mr Jeon. She was a mistake he made with his former secretary. His wife left him after such. And whenever he sees hyosung, he always remembered the past. And he despised her. What's worse is he believes females were useless in his family. He treated hyosung not as a daughter but a slaved son. He made her go through hideous training and vigorous experiences. If hyosung could grow up to become successful, then his mistake would be cleared up. No one would remember his affair. Thus, he became obsessed with perfecting Hyosung.

"That daughter of yours was made from a mistake, and she will always be a mistake." the woman scoffed.

"S-stop that. I'm sorry Mr Jeon, she was out drinking a while ago. She doesn't mean it." her secretary stopped her.

Mr Jeon was on the verge of bursting.

"Now, now. Let's not talk about that. Come, let's enjoy dinner." Jin Hyuk, the oldest brother, interrupted and made his way to the dining room.

 

On the balcony, Hyosung stood behind the curtains where she could clearly hear their conversations. 

 

♪♪♪

(Hyosung)

 

After my father's toast, I went to the balcony to get some fresh air. The dinner wasn't for me after all. My father invited a lot of people to the place, and it made me uncomfortable. I shut the doors leading to the balcony as I was disturbed by the noises. The night sky was a beauty, the abundant starlights were glistening and the night breeze danced in glee. It was one of the places where I thought about a lot of things. Today, there was an additional thought that bothered me. I couldn't figure it out but, somehow that guy who made my forehead swollen kept running through my mind. When he hit my head, perhaps he went inside.

However I didn't let it get inside my heart. I made it stay in my mind, just as how other thoughts are. It's a theory that I always go by. The mind has a lot of holes, whereas the heart has only two. That's why when you let a thought enter your heart, it's hard to let it go because there's only 2 holes. One for entrance, One for the exit. The thought has to go through a lot in order for it to find the exit. 

After a lot of thinking, I went to go inside. But I suddenly heard my name.

 "Your daughter, Hyosung." I hid behind the curtains.

"That daughter of yours was made from a mistake, and she will always be a mistake." 

 

............In my heart, there was one thing that was always there: that I was a mistake. I always knew that. I always have. I was an illegitemate child that no one wanted. I was born from a mother whom I never met. I was and always will be a mistake. I always had that in mind. But I didn't want anyone to remind me of it.

As the guests left the living room, I plumped myself against the balcony doors. I was in a state of....weakness. It's been a while since I've felt this. The night sky poured down droplets of rain. The whirring sound couldn't be heard from inside the house. Perhaps, the night sky is crying for me. It felt the same way I did. But its beauty remains the same. It was just hard to see, because of its tears. That's why I avoid crying, because it will block me of the path I'm supposed to see.

 

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

 

Despite the rain, Hyosung went out and left the dinner. She didn't want to be there for a while, maybe forever. Her thoughts were her mortal enemy. It always forced her into a state of weakness.

She sat in a public bench. She was wearing her school uniform. Although she had sad thoughts, her glare remains strict and stern.

"Mom Dad! What will you get for my birthday?" she overheard a little girl asking her parents

"It's a secret!" the parents playfully said.

 

Hyosung was amused at the sight. "Birthday...? That's right, it's today. Today is my birthday, yet my father didn't even know. nor did the whole entire family. Only hakyeon remembered. and he's a butler. Bless him." 

"Birthday? today? So I made your forehead swollen at your birthday?" someone overheard her.

Hyosung looked up and saw the guy he met earlier. He wasn't wearing his glasses and was in his casual wear.

"You..."

"Looks like this can of juice ain't enough for me to pay my debts to you. Here, drink" his eyes were smiling.

She was too tired to even scold him. She eventually grabbed the drink and made herself full. 

"It seems you were really thirsty. You can have mine if you still want more."

"No thanks."

"..........Happy Birthday, I'm really sorry."

She wasn't in the mood to talk.

"......You know, you can cry if you want."

Hyosung was astounded. "What do you mean?"

"Uh, well...I'm sorry if I'm bothering you in your private life but um..You said earlier that your family didn't remember your birthday and it must have really hurt, but well you can cry. What I meant is you don't have to keep those bad thoughts trapped inside you. You have to let it out and express. That way, you won't be bothered by it anymore."

She was staring at him. Hyosung spouted "Why?"

The boy was wondering what she meant.

"Why are you talking to me? Why are you telling that to me? Why did you take me to the clinic? Why are you giving me this drink? Tell me why are you being nice?"

The boy let out a laugh. "Hmm.. well because I'm human and you're human. As a human, my hormones triggered me to feel the need to help you especially because I did horrible things to you. Another reason is because...I think of you as a new friend, although you probably don't.... anyways, I'm doing all of this because I don't want to leave you alone unwanted when it's your birthday today. I....." 

the boy stopped as he realized hyosung was crying. He panicked and realized it was a poor choice to say she could cry. He stuffed his handkerchief in her hands and motioned her to wipe her tears. 

Hyosung's emotions were awakened by the boy's words. She couldn't say a word and continued crying.

With a nasal voice she slowly said "I......am...not....crying.......okay?"

The boy laughed and replied "Of course not, it's just sweat in your eyes"

Hyosung wiped her face and blowed her nose with the handkerchief. 

 

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪