Chapter 6

Our New Fate

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 6[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] Soundtrack: "For the Last Time" - Jack Savoretti

[/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID3]

"Believe me when I tell you that it's over

I'm never coming back this way again"

 

Nam Soon slowly touched the wooden door in front of him. He wanted to open it, to run after him and plead for his forgiveness. But he couldn't - Nam Soon didn't have any right to beg for his forgiveness. Also, he didn't think he could handle hearing those words from him once more. He knew it had been ten years already... But apparently, his heart didn't know. Even though it had been so long, the pain was probably the same. The pain of hearing those words from Heung Soo's lips - those words from which he ran away ten years ago.

He headed to work after a quick bath, without even eating the rice he had made - he wasn't really hungry anymore, and the food probably wouldn't even be properly swallowed after all of this. He arrived earlier at work this morning and had some extra minutes to clean the place before opening it. This time, he didn't think Heung Soo would show up again.

Heung Soo. His heart would beat faster just at the thought of him. His eyes would brim with tears by only remembering his words. But now was not the time for it. He still had a whole day of work and he wouldn't be able to endure it if he kept thinking about Heung Soo. Yet, if really knew a way to stop thinking about him... wouldn't he have forgotten him long ago?

His jaw almost dropped, and his heart panicked when he saw the boy that was there with Heung Soo yesterday entering the cafeteria at this morning. For a brief moment he thought Heung Soo would be with him, but he was alone this time. Nam Soon sighed silently as he carried an empty glass into the kitchen.

He was right - Heung Soo wasn't planning to go back there anymore. But what he wasn't really expecting was that this guy would start to talk to him. He didn't even think he would remember his face.

"You know Heung Soo, don't you?" He asked already with his black coffee in hands, bending over the balcony to talk to Nam Soon, who had just come back from inside the kitchen.

However, Nam Soon didn't answer - he didn't even know this guy. Was he Heung Soo's friend? Or just a coworker? Either way, this person that he didn't know probably knew more about Heung Soo now than himself, and for some reason, that made him jealous. He didn't know why he felt like that, but knowing that he wasn't the one that knew everything about Heung Soo anymore made him feel even worse about himself.

"He said he didn't know you, but he was lying, right?" He repeated.

Nam Soon sighed, looking around to see if someone was needing his help, but he couldn't ignore a client if he didn't want his boss complaining to him about it afterwards. Besides, he appeared to be a good person, if he was going to be honest about it. If Heung Soo laughed like that when he was with him... then he shouldn't be a bad guy after all.

"We used to be friends..." Nam Soon mumbled, unable to look up while he said it. "Back in the days."

"Really?" The man seemed surprised. It should be surprising. His executive friend had been friend with a waiter - unexpected, at least. "Well, see you around..." he said, after thinking it over for a bit, and glanced at Nam Soon's badge. "Go Nam Soon," he smiled, waving before leaving by the door.

Nam Soon stood there, a little unsure if he did right by telling him that. He just hoped that he wouldn't drop many questions to Heung Soo after it. The last thing Heung Soo needed right now was someone asking him about Go Nam Soon.

 

"I don't want to hear what you have to say

I've heard it all before every single phrase"

 

At around three in the afternoon the entrance door opened with a low whistle, the cold wind making its way inside the coffe shop. It wasn't really busy at this time, only a few workers appeared for one cup of coffee and some afternoon lunch. He didn't think Heung Soo was one of those. Even if he was, he wasn't expecting him to go there - not after what happened this morning. Not ever.

But there he was, with his same friend that came by in the morning. The man waved at him, but Heung Soo pretended that he didn't see him. Nam Soon wasn't really thinking it would be a good idea to serve him when they sat at one of the empty tables, but since his friend was continuously waving at him, he just couldn't pretend he didn't see. It was a client, after all.

However, his mouth was so dry that he had trouble pronouncing the words. Actually they didn't even leave his throat. It was impossible with Heung Soo staring at him that way. That deadly glare he only showed in his presence. Though this time he wasn't laughing beforehand - probably knowing he would meet him there.

Before Nam Soon could try talking once again, Heung Soo let out a loud sigh, making sure he was heard, and stared back into Nam Soon's eyes, who still had that tearfully expression. That ing regretful face that didn't belong to him.

"Excuse me," Heung Soo voiced, calling out another waiter that patiently cleaned one desk that had recently been unoccupied. He didn't understand what he was being called for, since Nam Soon appeared to be already serving him, but he went there anyway. "Two black coffees, with no sugar," he requested, ignoring Nam Soon's presence right there. But Nam Soon didn't feel troubled - he deserved everything that would be thrown at him.

"Heung Soo, you don't need to..." His friend reprehended him by his side, but Nam Soon just left a small bow, heading away. That wasn't the place to cry. He couldn't say anything, either. Not here, not now - Perhaps not anymore.

 

"I'm getting wiser, I'm getting older

So i'm walking away, I'm walking away"

 

With his notes back into his pocket, he headed back to the counter at the back of the shop, but before he could see him, a distracted client stood up from his table and turned around without looking behind him. He bumped into him, dropping his boiling coffee over Nam Soon's right arm. Nam Soon backed away, bowing instinctively, after crying out for his burned arm that started to sting right away.

"I'm sorry," Nam Soon apologized, after noticing the annoyed expression on the client, and went back to the counter to serve him another black cup. He wasn't upset by the fact that he just left after it, without saying anything. It was not Nam Soon's fault, but he didn't care - he had other problems to worry about, that didn't involve a client with bad manners. He almost forgot about it, weren't by his burn stinging painfully. Giving a last look to Heung Soo's table, he headed to the bathroom to clean his shirt, and at least see if his arm was okay.

Apparently, it was not really well. His skin was reddish, and ugly bubbles started to form around his arm where the coffee spilled. But he had to finish his shift today. When he got home, he would just put some ice in it and he would be okay, or so he convinced himself.

He leaned over the sink, letting the cold water fall over his bruise. It was a relief sensation, but that didn't last long. Sighing, he turned it off, putting his coat back on, and turned around to leave the bathroom. His jaw then dropped once more this day.

Heung Soo was standing in front of the door, staring at his wet shirt and burned bruise. He didn't say anything though. For a brief moment, Nam Soon thought about getting hold of this opportunity to say once more how sorry he was, but he couldn't do it in these circumstances. He looked down, trying to get away from his deadly stare, but didn't move as Heung Soo passed right through him.

Nam Soon sighed and headed to the door, as much as he wanted to stay - to be on his knees and ask for forgiveness. But Heung Soo would probably just punch him in the face before he could even say anything. Not that he didn't deserved it. He did, and he wanted Heung Soo to do it - to beat him until he was satisfied. But he needed to wake up and be aware of his reality now.

With trembling feet, he left the bathroom, the blazing in his arms now starting to get a little unbearable. However, he still had the rest of the day to work. Luckily Nam Soon had an extremely high tolerance to pain... since those times.

 

"I'm getting tired of looking back over my shoulder

So i'm walking away, I'm walking away"

 

Heung Soo left with his friend without any other word and without looking back. But Nam Soon didn't really expect him to look back. He didn't even expect him to return to that coffee shop, since there were plenty other shops around the block. But he returned. Maybe he was doing it on purpose, to haunt him? Nam Soon wanted that to be the truth. He wanted Heung Soo to haunt him until the end of his days, because, that way, at least he would be able to have him around. And, if that relieved some of his anger for him... so be it. He could do it as much as he liked it.

Nam Soon headed to the counter to serve the coffee, however, his manager stopped at his side, looking a bit worried - and perhaps a little annoyed too? He touched his neck awkwardly and left out a loudly sigh.

"How is your arm?" he mumbled, making it look like someone had made him ask him that.

"It's okay," Nam Soon lied. He didn't want to cause trouble. Even if it was actually hurting a lot, he still could work. However, he didn't seem quite convinced, and made Nam Soon turn up his sleeve, revealing his burned skin that already formed a big and ugly bubble around it. Nam Soon made sure to cover it as soon as he saw it, but was not fast enough.

"You should go to a health Center today. I can't let you work like that. Just go take a look and return when it's sure to be okay," he said, and Nam Soon sighed, since he couldn't argue with that. Putting his uniform apart, he sighed again, bowing discreetly and leaving on the cold winter. It was not a big of a deal.... however, it could be put as a work accident and it might bring some trouble to his boss later - that was the only reason why he easily accepted to leave.

The doctor just prescribed him a salve to use twice a day. Apparently it was not just a simple burning, but also not a really bad one. He would be okay if he followed the doctor's instructions, but it was not like he was really worried about it anyway.

 

"Wipe away the tears drowning out my days

Give me back the years that you took away"

 

Heung Soo didn't appear on the next day. His friend, though, was there. He never missed a morning - Nam Soon started to ask himself how he didn't know his name already. He served him the usual, black coffee without sugar, but he stood there even after paying. Nam Soon was glad that his coworker took his place serving the next client on the line.

"We're meeting at my place today, Heung Soo and I," he said, just like they were normal friends planning a dinner. It was not like he didn't even knew his name, not like Heung Soo didn't want to see his face.

However, that bothered him somehow. Heung Soo would meet that guy - like real friends. Nam Soon still wondered why that bothered him so much, but he didn't have much time to properly think about it.

"Wanna go? I think you should," he invited him in a casual tone of voice. Nam Soon left out a slight smirk at that. Like he could. "Can I have your number? I'll call so we can talk it over," the man suggested.

"I'm sorry. I don't think he would be happy with it," Nam Soon mumbled, hoping that he would just leave and forget this not so good idea.

"He would," the boy insisted, and Nam Soon just sighed. Right. Of course he would. "How is your arm?" he asked. It took some time for Nam Soon to quite understand what he meant - he was wearing long sleeves, how did he know? But he showed him a discreet smile, like he was just about to tell him a big secret. "It was Heung Soo who talked to your boss. I think he was worried," he whispered, now with a clear smirk on his lips. Nam Soon's throat instantly dried out. What did he meant with 'he was worried'? Why? How?

But that couldn't mean so much... Could it? Nam Soon was not sure. He still remembered his words from when he was drunk, but he also remembered those cold eyes turned against him. He was confused and didn't know what to say or what he should do. What was Heung Soo thinking? Why would he be worried about him?

Nevertheless, he got what he wanted to and Nam Soon ended up giving him his phone number. It was not like he was intending to go - not at all. Actually, he didn't really think about it because he just couldn't get those words of his mind - "I think he was worried."

What did that mean? Was Heung Soo just doing what he had promised himself to do whenever Nam Soon would be hurt or in anger? Why? That was years ago. He shouldn't be worried about Nam Soon's health or whatever. He broke his leg, didn't he? He ruined his future.

So why would Heung Soo still be worried about him?

 

"I forgive and I forget

For the last time, for the last time"

 

Nam Soon didn't attend that night, just like he had said, and decided to ignore Park Moo Yul's¹ calls - he texted him his name after he left the shop, suddenly remembering that he hadn't introduced himself.

How could he go? That's why he really didn't mean to pick it up when that number started to call him on that night. But Heung Soo would be so annoyed if Moo Yul started to make questions about him... That's why he ended up picking it up. As soon as it was over, the better for Heung Soo. He hoped that he, at least, had given himself the trouble to wait until Heung Soo was off the room to call him.

But apparently Moo Yul wasn't that carefull, and Heung Soo was indeed annoyed when he found out who he was calling. Like he even needed that to remind him. How dare him give him his number? How dare him to get close to his friends?

 

"I've seen it all before, bruises on my bones

If you don't win this war it's gonna make it whole"

 

When Nam Soon picked it up, Heung Soo threw the cellphone at the central desk. He didn't bother - and didn't even realize that it was still . He just didn't want to think about the fact that Nam Soon would be talking to his friend. He didn't want to think about Nam Soon at all.

But Nam Soon also didn't turn it off. He froze when he heard his voice at the other side of the line, and much more after hearing Moo Yul's words about them. What would Heung Soo say to that?

"Tell me, what did he do that made you so angry?"

However, the answer was not something he had expected. "He broke my leg," "he ruined my dream and my future." Those were the words he was expecting to hear. But that was not Heung Soo's answer. After everything he did, after everything he ruined, how could that be his answer?

It was not that. It couldn't be that. Nam Soon bit his lips, holding in the tears that wanted to escape.

 

"Believe me when I tell you that it's over

There's just some things that time can't erase"

 

He ruined his life, his future... So why was that his answer? Why the hell was that his resentment? After that night, Nam Soon was just so sure that Heung Soo didn't want to see him anymore - after seeing his face behind that hospital window that night, he was so sure that it was all over between them. This was the first time that he started to think that, maybe, things might not have ended that day.

But It was over because he was a coward.

"He ran away from me... On the time I needed him the most," Heung Soo said, the words leaving his lips like a sad lullaby.

 

"For the last time, for the last time

I'm walking away"

[/CONTENTID3][CONTENTID4]

¹Park Moo Yul: Baek Sung Hyun character in the drama "White Christmas", with Woo Bin. Just decided to use him as Heung Soo's friend here. Don't expect character similarities though, I only used the name and imagined him in the scenes...
Thanks to Yoselin (stormpiece.tumblr.com) for reviewing the chapter again :)
And maybe I will not update next week, because my cousin is going to visit me in the weekend, and I will not write while he is here. I might update only if I manage to finish writing until next Wednesday (he comes on Thursday and will stay until Monday) , but since I have a lot of things to do at work this week i problably won't be able to do it... so I won't promise anything >.<
[/CONTENTID4]