Chapter 52

Our New Fate

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 52[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] Soundtrack:  "Today” - Willamette Stone

 

[/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID3]

“I wanted more

Than life could ever bring me”

 

Heung Soo finished putting on his coat, quickly picking up his car keys and wallet at the entrance counter. There was an open letter exactly where his keys once were, with a picture coming out of it - it was his sister and his brother-in-law, a large smile on their faces while holding a child who should have between two and three years old. Heung Soo paid no attention to it and unlocked the door, closing it behind him. It was still dark outside, and it was colder than the day before, but by then he was already used to waking up this earlier.

After these years, there was nothing new about the streets of Toronto. Though, he thought, he still had no complaints. As he drove to work he could see the sun rising on the horizon, and when he arrived it was no longer dark and the city was already awake.

Heung Soo built a life for himself after all these years, which he would never have imagined if he thought about it back then.

But most important of all ... Heung Soo had no regrets.

 

“Today is the greatest
Day I've ever known
Can't live for tomorrow
Tomorrow's much too long”

 

He opened the curtain beside the bed and wiped the fog from the window. It was the first snow of the winter. He could hardly see it pounding on the sidewalk and checked his wristwatch. It was time to work.

He was used to this routine. Make some coffee, cook some rice, and wait for it to get ready as he took a hot shower and dressed the warmest coat he could find in his wardrobe.

The kitchen had a pleasant smell of hot coffee, and he was not in a hurry while he quietly ate his breakfast, checking his phone a few times before he finished it. It was still early, he had no reason to hurry.

He took a few steps outside and regretted not getting a scarf - it was even colder than he thought. Walking to work was no longer an option. He stopped on the sidewalk and made a signal for the first cab that ran down the street.

The snow was already covering the whole front of that cafe in white. He knew it was pretty now, but in a few hours’ time that white would have turned into an ugly brown color. Oh well.

It was with a relieved sigh that Nam Soon entered that cafe feeling more than grateful for the warm place. He was sure that today would be as crowded as ever - people would be craving for a hot coffee with this weather.

A blonde employee was waiting by the cashier, watching the weather forecast on the television on the left side of the wall.

“You're early,” Nam Soon said as he took his work apron from the kitchen cupboard.

“Yeah... I was wondering... Can I leave earlier today? There's a concert I really wanted to attend...” She seemed a bit embarrassed to ask - but not enough to give up asking for it.

Nam Soon stared out at the snow and grimaced, “You made it up so I would have to clean this snow all by myself, huh?” he joked, heading back to the front door and turned the closed card to open.

She just laughed slightly and ran to grab her phone, probably to let someone know that she was going. Nam Soon’s smile slowly faded as he heard the news - a sharp cold snap would affect Toronto, probably a snowstorm coming ahead. He definitely should have brought his scarf.

It was around ten in the morning when the movement on the streets in front of the shop got heavier. Lots of businessmen wearing the same suit were walking fast holding onto their suitcase, probably running late for work. Nam Soon smiled discreetly, being caught off guard by the sudden flashback. Indeed, that was never a life for him. He got bored just by imagining it. Though, he was wrong when he thought that he wouldn't need to use his brain to work in a coffee shop. In fact, he used a lot of it to get where he was now.

He had just returned to his place behind the counter when he heard the door opening again and the cold wind poured into the cafe.

He was wearing a black suit just like all the other business mans - but Nam Soon didn't notice. He stood there, standing still, his eyes filled with emotions - but they were the same emotions from every day. Just in time.

There, in front of him, was the man he followed years ago. He approached the counter with a big smile on his lips. Nam Soon adjusted the gold ring on his fingers and leaned in for a kiss.

“It's colder today,” Heung Soo complained, taking off his gloves and revealing his pair of the gold ring.

“A new shipment of Korean black coffee has just arrived. Do you want a cup?” Nam Soon asked, but was already getting ahead to serve him.

“Not today.” Nam Soon raised his eyebrows, while Heung Soo stared at the ring in his fingers.

“Today... I think a hot chocolate would be a better fit. It's our first snow, right? ”

And this time, Heung Soo smile didn't fade. In fact, it had never been as bright.

“Definitely”.

 

“Today is the greatest

Today is the greatest

Day”

 

[/CONTENTID3][CONTENTID4]

OMG. After almoust 4 years, I FINALLY managed to finish this fanfic, and without having to change anything on the plot for laziness / lack of time. And the best of all? I was able to finish on the exact same day of my deadline to move. I can't even believe it! Anyway, thank you very much for everyone who followed the fanfic, I hope it has not disappointed you and that you like the end! Tomorrow I will be moving to London, and at least I didn't leave anything hanging ... hahah And who knows in a while I might return with another fanfic? If you want to talk to me add me on the social networks! Because I probably won't login too much on this web site other than to read the comments... And that's it. [/CONTENTID4]