Chapter 48

Our New Fate

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 48[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] Soundtrack:  "The Only Thing” - Sufjan Stevens

 

[/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID3]

“Do I care if I survive this, bury the dead where they’re found

In a veil of great surprises I wonder did you love me at all?”

 

It all happened in a second - the loud noise of a car brake stormed abruptly, and everything that he had the time to do was take a quickly glance at Heung Soo by his side and, before it was too late, to push him with all his might, making both of them roll over the ground as the noise of the brake echoed in that parking garage, followed by the shrill sound of the horn and the wheels skidding over the floor.

But it was all too loud, and Nam Soon wasn't quite sure of what he was hearing, what was really happening and what was a dream. His heart was beating so fast that he could feel it at the tip of his fingertips, and he was running before he even knew it. His fists banged on that door and against the window until he could no longer feel them, unaware of how much strength he was putting in his hits. In a second the door finally opened, and he wasn't sure if it was he who came out of the car or if Nam Soon forced him out by the collar.

Were his cries that came first or were his fists? He didn't care. One punch... Two punches... more screams, and then something gripped his hands tightly, pulling him away from the man who was looking scared at him, his cheeks already swollen and blank eyes that showed nothing but fear.

He looked up as Nam Soon tried to dodge from Heung Soo's arms, and in a second his fists met Heung Soo's face, making him stumble back - but that was not enough for him to let go of Nam Soon's arms - even after his screams and curses. Heung Soo just couldn't let go of him.

The boy lost balance and stumbled on his own feet after the punch, holding his hand that was probably bleeding from hitting some bone or tooth as he looked at both of them - Heung Soo turned his back, trying to keep Nam Soon away from him.

“LET GO!” Nam Soon was trembling, his heart beating so fast... It was so much anger, so much as he never felt in a long time - so much that he had once thought that he would never feel it again.

“STOP IT,” Heung Soo scream was even louder than any of Nam Soon’s when he managed to hit the man's face once more, knocking him to the ground even after Heung Soo's attempts to contain him. “Nam Soon, JUST STOP!”

Nam Soon finally looked back at him, and he was not sure if it was the desperate cry in his words or the blood on his face that finally made him stop struggling.

“He tried to kill us, why the hell are you stopping me??” Nam Soon managed to free his arms and gave one step forward to that man’s direction - but he was standing now, and managed to take a step back before Nam Soon's foot could hit him right in his face.

“Your fault..” He whispered those words in a harsh tone, his eyes piercing Heung Soo’s as the words finally left his mouth - words that he probably had been carving to say since a long time ago, “... it's all your fault”

“ARE YOU ING CRAZY?” Nam Soon threatened to punch him again, but Heung Soo was faster and placed himself between them.

“He’s the crazy one, he’s the one that tried to kill me. Do you know how it's like to lose months of your life?” his words were getting louder by the minute, as he stared at him and Heung Soo, making sure to take a few steps back every time that Nam Soon seemed to dodge from Heung Soo's arms. “And even worse, to know that the person who did it to you is fine, as if nothing had happened?”

“Yeah, so what? You're fine now, this was ing years ago, it doesn't give you the right to try to ing RUN YOUR CAR OVER US!” Nam Soon screamed, closing his fists and feeling his nails against his skin, his head starting to ache since he probably wasn't even remembering how to blink.

“I was just gonna teach him a lesson, after all he did to me,” his words were lower this time, as he looked down to the floor and at his feet.

“I'm sorry for what I did. Yes, It it was ed up - yes I know that I was a ing bastard” - Heung Soo interrupted Nam Soon before he could start yelling again. His tone was low and he was no longer staring at Nam Soon, but rather at the man who now looked unfocused at both of them in a mixture of anger and fear.

“He was gonna kill us for something that happened ten years ago, why the hell are you apologizing?!” Nam Soon tried to dodge Heung Soo and approach him, but he didn't move an inch.

“It's enough!” instead, Heung Soo pushed Nam Soon another step back.

“I wasn't gonna kill you,” he tried looking at both of them, his eyes unfocused, but his words did not sound at all convincing - it was as if he were forcing himself to believe them.

“Right, just run your car over us, make some tickles!” Nam Soon exclaimed sarcastically as he kept trying to get free from Heung Soo's arms.

“Enough, stop this ,” Heung Soo shoved Nam Soon, dropping his arms. Perhaps it was the surprise of being punched by him, or it was the fact that the man now seemed more frightened than before that made him stop. His eyes fell on him - he was several inches shorter and just as thin. Out of that car and staring at him with that frightened expression, he definitely didn't intimidate him at all.

“I know what I did. And I’m sorry. I was immature, and I almost ed everything up, but -” Heung Soo paused for a bit, seeming to think about his words, but before he could continue, Nam Soon interrupted him.

“But nothing happened. You're alive enough to pretend your ing bigotry is just some revenge - Heung Soo was shaking his head in his direction, but Nam Soon wasn't getting none of that - the thing is, If I ever see you again, if I think that you are looking down your nose upon Heung Soo again, I swear I'll kill you. And believe me when I say that I have nothing to lose,” Nam Soon said, finally in a lower tone, even though his fists were still shaking. He gave a step forward, threatening to hit him again, but the quick defensive move as the man jumped back in response to his threat made him give up - or only lose his will.

“,” he mumbled, turning back to stare at Heung Soo, who had his hands on his his still bleeding wound.

“You’re just a bunch of fags, do you think that I'm scared of you?”

 

“Do I care if I despise this, nothing else matters, I know

In a veil of great disguises, how do I live with your ghost?”

 

Nam Soon gave a final look into Heung Soo's eyes. Those words were really low - as if he were just thinking aloud. But Nam Soon did hear him.

And he wouldn't pretend he didn't.

In a second, his fists were on his face before Heung Soo could do anything to stop him. He was on the ground, and Nam Soon struck him once more, and he wasn't sure if the last punch had found its destination before Heung Soo ran toward him, pulling him away from that guy.

Heung Soo used all his strength to keep Nam Soo away, but the younger continued to struggle - and he felt as if it were years ago. As if they were back in high school, when Nam Soon lost track of everything and Heung Soo was the only one who could bring him back to reality.

“Leave,” he stared at the man on the floor, that had his face covered with blood, but fortunately he was still awake, “Get out. NOW!” It was his scream that made him stand, and with a last terrified stare at Nam Soon, he quickly got inside his car. And it was only when he left the garage that Heung Soo finally released Nam Soon.

“What the hell were you thinking??” Heung Soo screamed, completely forgetting about the fact that his own face was bruised and bleeding.

“What was I thinking??? He tried to kill you, and I'm not hearing a ing imbecile calling me names!!” he pointed to the garage door from where he had just left in his car.

“You're not fifteen years old anymore Nam Soon. Please grow up.” Heung Soo shook his head, and turned around before Nam Soon could even think about replying.

 

“Should I tear my eyes out now?

Everything I see returns to you somehow

Should I tear my heart out now?

Everything I feel returns to you somehow”

 

“Let me see your face,” Nam Soon whispered after a few minutes as they made their way to the elevator, but Heung Soo just shook his head.

“I'm fine,” he pretended, but Nam Soon had already pulled him around and stared at the ugly bruise on his lips.

“It's nothing, I've probably hurt myself because of my teeth. It's fine.”

“Not that fine... You should treat it, there's some medicine in the bathroom, “ Nam Soon offered as they waited for the lift.

They didn't talk much as Nam Soon picked two cases of medicine and went back to the room, where Heung Soo was still sitting down, staring blankly at the wall.

“Let me see it,” Nam Soon called him, picking up a cotton swab and cleaning his wound. There was not much he could do, since the worst cut was inside his mouth - though it was already swollen and had a reddish color on the outside.

“This will be ed up tomorrow won't it?” He asked, more to himself than to Nam Soon, taking his hand to the corner of his lips and softly placing his fingers over it.

“Probably...” Nam Soon ventured to say, placing a soft kiss on his bruise, but Heung Soo pulled away with a painful expression.

“Great. I can't even kiss you now,” the younger joked with a forced smile on his lips, “I’m totally gonna kill him...” He complained as he took the medicines back to the bathroom. Heung Soo stood right behind him, trying to face himself in the mirror.

“Is it really that bad?” he wondered, getting closer and showing a worried look on his face. “Do you thinks it'll be better by Monday?” he risked a question, to which Nam Soon just shrugged in response. “Do you think it's fine to go to work with this? Maybe I should say that I fell or something like that?” he side-eyed Nam Soon, hoping he would come up with a good idea, but the younger shook his head with a smile on his lips.

“This totally has I was punched written over it... But hey,” he suddenly exclaimed, getting back to the bedroom and picking up his cellphone from inside his jeans, “I can call Joon Hee,”

Heung Soo just stared questionably at him as he wrote something on his cell phone. “He's a doctor,” Nam Soon explained under Heung Soo confused look. “I'll ask if we can have a sick note tomorrow so you can skip work,” Nam Soon looked pleased but Heung Soo was not so convinced, “Yes, I know it's not a nice thing to do, but won't they start talking if you go with this thing on your face?” He shrugged.

“Yes but what about the rest of the week?”

“I’m sure he will prescribe something, it might be a lot better by thursday or wednesday,” he put his phone back over the bedspread and lay on it, letting out a loud sigh.

“So, I guess our night out is out of question...” Heung Soo sighed as he sat down beside him, looking at Nam Soon who had his eyes closed and was still breathed heavily.

“Well, I’ll make some soup and we can watch something.” He opened his eyes again and sat down on the edge of the bed.

“You’re so strange lately, cooking and all, what’s happening?” Heung Soo sneered with a smile on his lips. Nam Soon frowned and hit him in his arms - to which Heung Soo pretended to have hurt himself, only to be hit once again for trying to fool him.

“Yah, you’ll see when you get better. And I’m not weird, it's just that took you long enough to realize how of an awesome boyfriend I am,” he shrugged as Heung Soo silently laughed at his side in a mocking tone.

 

“I want to save you from your sorrow

The only reason why I continue at all”

 

It was almost ten o'clock in the night when the doorbell rang. Nam Soon and Heung Soo quickly looked at each other, but Nam Soon was quicker to check the intercom. And to his surprise it was Yoon Jae and Joon Hee - who had a worried countenance on their faces.

“What are you two doing here?” Nam Soon asked worriedly, opening the door for them. “I said I would met you tomorrow, why did you come all the way here?” Nam Soon checked the time as he closed the door behind them.

“Where's Heung Soo?” Joon Hee was still looking around, barely waiting for Nam Soon to respond.

“I said it was nothing,” Nam Soon mumbled, but he went anyway to the bedroom door, which opened almost instantaneously when Heung Soo decided to leave the room.

“What the hell happened?” Yoon Jae went straight to the point.

“It's just a guy with whom he had a few problems in high school,” Nam Soon tried to catch his attention, but he was now too focused on Heung Soo's bruises.

“Did you go to the police station?” Joon Hee asked, looking a bit worried.

“We can't, Nam Soon went over what we can call legal lines.” Heung Soo interrupted, giving a quick look of disapproval in his direction.

“Did you two eat? I’m making some soup” Nam Soon cut him off, trying to change the subject.

Joon Hee gave one last worried and suspicious stare at Heung Soo’s bruises before looking back at Nam Soon, shrugging, “Not yet but - ”

“Fine then, I'll make some extra soup for the four of us,” Nam Soon concluded, heading for the kitchen counter.

“I hope you two like pepper...” Heung Soo warned as he sat down on the couch, turning on the video game.

“Are you sure you're fine?” Yoon Jae asked, sitting down beside him, still looking worried at his bruises that were now bright red and starting to look even more swollen.

Heung Soo just shrugged, staring at the game, “It's ok, I'm sure it's not that bad is it?” He asked, showing his bruises to Joon Hee, who looked at him more closely.

“You'll live,” he smiled at his side, taking the second control from over the table.

“See, it's fine,”

“I'm not talking about the bruise though,” Yoon Jae whispered - he was sure that Nam Soon wasn't very comfortable to talk about it, “the person who did it, what really happened?” he risked asking, side-eyeing Joon Hee to make sure that he was really doing the right thing by asking him.

Heung Soo looked back at Nam Soon who had just placed a pan over the stove.

“It's no big deal. But thanks for worrying,” Yoon Jae didn't seem convinced, and Heung Soo breathed slowly, “there were some things unsolved between us, but in a way I'm sure it's not gonna happen again,” he assured him.

“Call me right away if you ever need a lawyer,” he discreetly glanced at Nam Soon, "or him."

Heung Soo nodded but quickly changed the subject to anything random about the game. He did not want to tell them the whole story because, honestly, he still felt ashamed of what he had done in the past, and especially because it meant telling things about Nam Soon that he was not even sure that they knew.

The night went on with laughs and loud talks - avoiding at all costs the subject of what had happened on the parking lot. It was nearly midnight when both of them left the apartment, Joon Hee making sure to leave Heung Soo a doctor's note for at least two days - Heung Soo didn't wanna show up with his purple eye and words on his forehead telling everyone that he got into a fight - it might really look bad in his workplace.

And he was glad that he had asked for it because his red bruise was a low purple in the morning, and the swelling even bigger.

“I was hoping it would be better tomorrow, but if things go on it will turn black,” Heung Soo joked as he stared at himself in the mirror.

Nam Soon held down his laughter as he choose a shirt from inside the closet, and side-eyed Heung Soo before picking up a blue one and quickly putting it on.

“Stop with the drama, you'll be fine soon.”

“I'll have to stay and rest. Sorry but you'll have to finish painting the wall alone, ” Heung Soo joked as Nam Soon approached the bathroom door.

“That's so? Then I'll also go out and eat alone since you shouldn't be getting out of bed,” Nam Soon made a mocking grimace.

“I'm joking,” Heung Soo reached his shoulders, giving him a light punch. “let's finish that wall today,”

“I'll also go buy some dishes plates,” he stared at the other by the door, “are you helping me?” Nam Soon invited him, to which he responded with a discreet laugh - as he couldn't overreact since it was stinging a bit.

“I guess It's not really a choice, is it?” Heung Soo smiled in response.

 

“The only thing that keeps me from driving this car

Half-light, jack knife into the canyon at night”

 

The following weeks went on quickly, and soon September approached. They had no further news about their neighbor, and Heung Soo had the impression that he was avoiding to met them - but he definitely wouldn't be the one to complain. He had been worried for some days after what happened - that Nam Soon might bump into him someday. He didn't know what could happen if he wasn't around, but as the days went by he started to feel a bit more at ease.

And finally Nam Soon's opening day arrived. The weather was starting to get a bit less hot, especially on this day - It was cloudy and Heung Soo hoped it wouldn't rain as he stared out the window.

It had been a few hours since Nam Soon's cafe opened and he had not heard from Nam Soon since - he hoped it was crowded, and that he was handling it well. He looked at the watch, it was ten past twelve o'clock. He smiled softly, put his wallet into his pocket and took his jacket - he had promised to stop by at lunchtime, but even if he hadn't, he would be counting the minutes to visit Nam Soon. It would be a special day and he wanted to at least be able to send his congrats in person.

 

“Should I tear my arms out now, I wanna feel your touch

Should I tear my eyes out now?”

 

“Do you have a minute?” Heung Soo heard someone aapproach as he planned to leave and turned around - it was his boss, holding a strange expression on his face - happy for some reason - as he eyed him eagerly.

Heung Soo sent a quick glance at Moo Yul - who looked at them from his desk - and back at him, nodding slightly.

His boss’s room was a bit smaller than the others, but it had large glass windows, making it comfortably bright and cozy. There were a few picture frames of family and his computer over his desk - side by side with a small cactus and a few stacks of papers.

He sat at his desk, over his black padded chair and gestured for him to sit in the front chair - which Heung Soo proceeded to do so. They stared at each other in silence for some time until he finally spoke.

“I know I've been reckless in giving you feedback ever since you came to this company, and surprisingly it's been more than a year already,” he placed his hands over his table and Heung Soo stared at them, for some reason wanting to divert his eyes. Heung Soo didn't think this was a good day for him to finally choose to give this feedback, but he just waited in silence as he kept talking.

“And I - and of course all your superiors agreed - found it prudent to give you this great opportunity,” he displayed a large eager smile on his lips, and Heung Soo looked back into his eyes, feeling his heart suddenly stop for a brief second.

“We have an offer for you - a promotion to manage our new headquarters,” He stared at him with those big teeth on his mouth, and Heung Soo already knew the end of his sentence before he finished it - “our new headquarters in Canada".

 

“Faith in reason, I wasted my life playing dumb

[...]

In a veil of great surprises, hold to my head till I drown

Should I tear my eyes out now, before I see too much?”

 

[/CONTENTID3][CONTENTID4]

I'm back! So sorry, this was supposed to be uploaded two weeks ago. But actually I got very sick and couldn't write at all. I'm better now, so here's the chapter. And also I have good news...! the fanfic is FINALLY ending :) yeey, and I can oficially say that it will have more three or four chapters. I know you must be already sick of it but the day finally came! So, look forward to it! [/CONTENTID4]