Chapter 45

Our New Fate

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 45[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] Soundtrack: "for him." - Troye Sivan, Allday

 [/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID3]

“We are runnin' so fast

And we never look back

And whatever I lack, you make up”

 

"Nam Soon..." Heung Soo's eyes meet his for a few seconds before he looked down at his phone again, as to check if he wasn't dreaming. When he seemed assured that something there was real, he looked at Nam Soon again - and he was smiling when he did so; not a wide smile, nor a terrified one... But a tiny smile on the corner of his lips. "Noona... There's a missed call from noona."

Nam Soon stared at him in disbelief for a few seconds. Heung Soo was still facing his cellphone without any mention of calling or sending her a message. “So, what are you waiting for?!” Nam Soon exclaimed, and Heung Soo seemed to be awaken from his trance: he looked back at Nam Soon and nodded slightly, finally appearing to be calling her back.

Heung Soo bit his lips impatiently as he waited, but no one seemed to pick up. He shook his head as he gave a quick glance at Nam Soon. “I don’t think she’ll answer...” he mumbled in frustration, instinctevely holding the top of the chair with anxiety. “I’ll try calling home,” and held his phone back against his ear, still with a concerned expression on his face.

It took a few seconds and the voice of Heung Soo’s brother-in-law came on the other side of the line. “Is noona home?” He asked as he stared at Nam Soon, who watched him nervously from the couch.

They waited until Heung Soo turned his back on him and Nam Soon could hear a really low woman’s voice coming from his phone, though he couldn’t quite understand what she was saying.

“Hi Noona... You’ve called me, right?” Heung Soo murmured still with his back to Nam Soon, his hand that were over the chair now neatly hidden in his pocket. “ Something happened?”

I just wanted to ask how are you doing, and...

“I’m fine... I’m...” he answered and turned around, glancing back at Nam Soon on the sofa. He returned his gaze and shook his head slightly. Nam Soon hoped that he would understand and don’t mention him now... It was probably for the best.

Heung Soo kept staring at him for a few seconds without a word, and then seemed to have made up his mind. “I’m fine,” he said at last. Nam Soon sighed in relief, and looked down at his hands as he nervously rubbed them together. “And how’s the baby?”

“That’s what I’ve called you for, actually,” she said, and by her tone of voice she seemed apprehensive, “...It’s my baby shower next month. September 13th. Will you come?”

“Oh, really?” Heung Soo muttered, and turned his eyes to Nam Soon that was still looking down at his own hands. He noticed the way she put a lot of intonation into you, and he could understand what she meant by that. In fact, the way she proceeded to talk about how the house was still under renovation, and that he could sleep on the baby’s room new sofa-bed - I think it fits you - she was really specific in that part; only made him feel worse by the minute.

When Heung Soo hung up, he really didn’t expect to be feeling worse than he was before talking to her. He was staring at his phone, and wanted to postpone the conversation with Nam Soon as much as possible, but the other had already stood up and was standing next to him.

“So...?” Nam Soon asked as he noticed that Heung Soo made no sign that he would start to talk. Heung Soo sighed slight and looked up, but not really into Nam Soon’s eyes.

“She just invited me to her baby-shower...” he told him, and forced a smile on the corner of his lips that Nam Soon knew him well enough to know it was not natural. “I don’t know...” he whispered, looking back at his phone, since he still didn’t have the guts to look into Nam Soon's eyes.

“You must go,” the younger exclaimed. He didn’t know why Heung Soo was feeling so down, but the one thing that he knew was this - that she was his family. Accepting them or not, it didn’t matter - she would never stop being his sister and the person who raised him for years. Nam Soon could never bear to be the one responsible for them not talking to each other anymore.

“Yeah, I know...” he murmured and sighed louder this time. His cheeks were flushed and he led his hands to his forehead, rolling his eyes and finally gathering the courage to stare into Nam Soon’s. “I know, but...”

Nam Soon bit his lips, and slowly held Heung Soo’s hand that was still gripping his cell phone tightly. “She called you,” he said, getting close as if about to hug him, but didn’t. “Isn’t it enough?” he continued in a light and reassuring tone. The smile was back to Heung Soo’s lips, but just a bit more natural than before. It didn’t last long though, but his eyes were still fixed on Nam Soon. He could feel his warm breath brushing against his cheeks, and bit by bit, he got so close that Nam Soon could even see his eyelashes flashing a few inches away.

Heung Soo’s lips were soft and tasting slightly of the strawberry candy he had chewed on the way home. Nam Soon took a step closer, his hands touching his cheeks in a rather gently way than anything too harsh. He was not smelling of his cologne this night, just a slight perfume of his deodorant mixed with a bit of salt and sunscreen that were still on his skin.

Heung Soo breathed softly against his lips, his eyes opening slightly to stare at Nam Soon. The smile was back on his lips, but this time it was not because of his sister at all. Nam Soon's words did made him feel a bit better. He knew it should be enough that she called him, and invited him to such an important occasion. However, she didn't acknowledge anything he told her about Nam Soon. She was blatantly ignoring that fact, and it was even harder to accept it because, when it was Jin Ah, she welcomed her with open arms from the first minute he introduced her.

 

“We make a really good team

And not everyone sees

We got this crazy chemistry

Between us”

 

Heung Soo was glad for the air conditioning inside that big and stylish restaurant with double-height ceiling. It had expensive chandeliers that were rather decorative than to brighten the room, since the sunlight coming from the large windows already illuminated the entire restaurant.

The weather was exceptionally hot today - probably even more so than in the last few days, but Heung Soo wasn't suffering much since he had only been outside on his way to the car.

Today was a special work day - his boss had invited his entire sector to give them the big news that they would be opening a new headquarters in Toronto. All his co-workers seemed heavily amused by those news and started whispering to each other with enthusiasm right away. But not Heung Soo - he was too entertained talking to Nam Soon and, at this specific moment, taking a picture of the huge lobster he was about to eat just to for his own delight.

I hope you choke and die,” Nam Soon had just replied him and Heung Soo had to stifle his laughter and hide his phone right away so no one would realize that he was not that interested in the news as everyone else.

“It would be nice to live in Toronto, don’t you think?” Moo Yul asked him at his side - just in time for him to pretend that he was also excited with the news, though he quickly started to eat so he didn’t need to discuss it any further. It’s not that he was giving a about his job - after a while in the company, he did got used to it and was really giving his best to be a good employee; but today he woke up in a bad mood because of his sister, and ever since he left his apartment Nam Soon had been messaging him all day, probably to lift up his mood.

And apparently, not even the fact that Nam Soon was quite busy - even after finishing his shift - was enough for him to stop bothering him with photos and stupid jokes.

It had been two months since Nam Soon had been running busy with paperwork and visiting real estate agencies. Ever since he attended that lecture for aspiring entrepreneurs, he was stuck on his plan to start his own business. And, right now, he was out there visiting commercial houses in search for the best place - that he could afford the rent, considering he still had the money from his car - to open his own coffee shop. Heung Soo took it all as a joke at first, but by the way things were going he was quite sure it would work out pretty fine.

It was exactly seven o’clock at night when Heung Soo turned off his computer, yawning loudly and stretching his arms in front of him.

“I’m off,” Heung Soo told Moo Yul as he picked up his briefcase and stood up from his chair. The other stood up after him but was louder than he probably intended and almost dropped his calendar on his trash can as he desperately called out for him.

“Wait, I have something to talk to you,” Moo Yul exclaimed as he grabbed his backpack clumsily without staring directly into his eyes. Heung Soo nodded slightly and they went down through the elevator together. He thought he would start talking during their way, but it was only after he pulled him into a corner already outside the building, and stared awkwardly at his feet, that Heung Soo noticed that something about it was quite odd. Heung Soo was about to call him out when he finally started talking, in an unusual low voice, staring anywhere but Heung Soo.

“I know it's none of my business ...” his words were getting lower by the minute, and Heung Soo was sure that if he kept that way he wouldn't be able to hear a thing. He sighed, rolling his eyes instinctively. Part of him was suspicious about what this was about, and he wondered why was he telling him that if it was not his ing business; but instead Heung Soo remained quiet, waiting for him to finish it. “But yesterday... I noticed something,” Moo Yul breathed out, seeming to gather enough courage and looked up at Heung Soo “I might have thought about it at some point, without even realizing it, but now it really makes sense,” he stopped talking for a few seconds, as if waiting for any sign that he could go on, but as Heung Soo remained silent, he finally decided to tell him what had been bothering him all this time. “I think that Nam Soon likes you,” he stated firmly.

Heung Soo wished he had reacted different, but it was just impossible not to burst out laughing after that. It was so stupid - Moo Yul’s realization and the way he said it as it were the discovery of the year. Yet, Heung Soo was glad that he could disguise his laugh for a whole different reason.

“Yeah, of course he does,” he agreed in the most sarcastic way he managed to. But Moo Yul was not laughing at all, and that made it easier for Heung Soo’s smile to dissipate.

“No, seriously... I'm sure he likes you,” he repeated, but this time focusing too much on that word, probably to avoid using the word love instead. “I mean... it’s not as you and me,” he stupidly explained as if Heung Soo hadn't already understood what he meant by now.

Heung Soo no longer felt like laughing, and suddenly he was filled with resentment.

“As good as your intentions are, don't worry,” Heung Soo assured him, trying his best not to sound as insulted as he really felt at the moment - did he really think this was something he had to warn him about? As if Nam Soo was going to throw himself at him or something?

But Moo Yul’s cheeks flushed so quickly that for a second Heung Soo really thought that he was about to pass out.

“I'm not worried that he might do something,” he got suddenly so defensive that Heung Soo realized that he probably could not conceal very well how insulted he had been, “It's just that I think you should talk to him,” Moo Yul tried to explain himself.

“What?” Heung Soo repeated right away. This time, Moo Yul managed to really surprise him after all.

“If he keeps this one sided love for too long, it's gonna be bad for him ... and for you two,” his eyes were focusing on anything but Heung Soo at this point, but the other was glad for that since he was back at smiling this time - but it was rather a proud and relieved smile than one that found this quite funny. He took a deep breath, trying to keep a neutral expression and touched Moo Yul’s shoulder in the most reassuring way he could.

“Really, don't worry about this,” Heung Soo comforted him, pulling his arms down and staring across the street thinking about how Nam Soon would react to what had just happened.

“Do you wanna grab a drink?” Moo Yul invited him after a few minutes were they stood there in silence. Heung Soo looked back at him, and thought for few seconds.

“I'm a bit tired from the trip actually,” he muttered, checking the time - it was forty to eight o'clock. He should definitely head home. “Some other time?” he suggested, and Moo Yul just nodded, seeming just a bit disappointed.

They parted ways a few steps into the parking lot, and Heung Soo checked his phone noticing that there were at least five new messages from Nam Soon with stupid pictures he had just took of him drinking on their couch.

 

“And we take jokes way too far

And sometimes living's too hard

We're like two halves of one heart”

 

Nam Soon's pictures were running through Heung Soo’s mind all the way to his apartment as he laughed to himself, too lost in his thoughts until he parked his car in his empty parking spot.

It was suddenly and abruptly - one car was moving back at high speed in the spot right in front of his, which caused an strident noise of the wheels against the ground. There was a loud honk coming from Heung Soo’s car as he braked instinctively, causing another loud noise from the wheels that echoed in the garage. It didn't make sense, but Heung Soo was almost sure that that car had parked at high speed on purpose.

Heung Soo turned off his car, quickly taking his suitcase out of the passenger seat and picking up his keys before leaving and locking the door. He glared at the black car now parked in front of him, and was about to call the driver out - only that he wasn't there anymore. Heung Soo could see the guy from a distance getting into the elevator, and he was sure, from the little he managed to see him, that he knew that face from somewhere.

Sighing in annoyance, he moved to the front of his car - in the abruptly stop and loud buzz he might have scratched it somehow - but luckily everything seemed fine. He ran his hands through the hood, trying to check if there was any change in the painting, but as far as he could see, he missed it by inches.

Heung Soo shook his head nervously, and headed up to the elevator, a hint of suspicious running through his mind - yet, he had no clue of who that person he thought he recognized might be.

Nam Soon was sitting on the couch, watching a movie that Heung Soo had not paid attention to which, when he entered the apartment, still anxious about what had just happened in the parking lot - he barely greeted him and Nam Soon quickly paused the film, while Heung Soo had already begun to tell him everything that had just happened

Nam Soon stared at him in silence from the couch, and when he finished telling him everything, Heung Soo wondered if he should mention that he thought he knew the person - now he was starting to think that could have happened because he was too nervous and ended up confusing him with someone else. He couldn't even see him properly from where he was. Yet, he decided to be honest.

“Maybe you saw him around the parking lot or in the entrance hall someday? Since it's the same apartment complex, it might be it ...” Nam Soon wondered, but Heung Soo didn't seem convinced.

“I don't know... It wasn't like that,” he couldn’t explain. Heung Soo thought he knew the guy, but not from here. If it were from here, he certainly would have recognized him. He shook his head, trying to remember, but maybe Nam Soon was right - it might be someone he saw someday but didn't talk to, that's why he couldn't recognize him right away. “Well ...” He shook off those thoughts, sitting down next to Nam Soon, who gave him a quick peck on the lips - that tasted slightly like beer - as he approached. “Something else happened,” he was smiling now, as he remembered the conversation he had with Moo Yul.

“Well from the look on our face, it must be something good,” Nam Soon seemed relieved, and Heung Soo showed a funny smile on his lips.

“A funny one, actually,” he laughed, and proceeded to tell him everything that Moo Yul had told him with the most details he could remember. At first, Nam Soon seemed a bit worried when he told him about Moo Yul’s suspicious about him, but just a few seconds later, he looked relieved by the fact that Moo Yul wasn't repulsed about it at all.

“I think... That he might be thinking about Jin Ah...” Nam Soon reflected after the laughter that he couldn't avoid. Heung Soo hadn't thought about it and glanced at the boy, “that's why he asked you to have a drink... He wouldn't go as far as that just to talk about my feelings,” Nam Soon shrugged. Heung Soo was silent for some time, feeling a bit bad now that he refused the drink.

“Yeah... I hadn't thought about that. I'll ask him out tomorrow,” Heung Soo pouted, his hands touching Nam Soon’s tights and giving them a slight squeeze. “But even if that was the reason... He still thought about you,” Heung Soo locked his hands, now staring at the screen - in which there was a funny armed guy half blinking in the middle of a yell - and back to Nam Soon. “I think I’ll have to be honest with him soon,” he continued, and Nam Soon couldn't hide his worried expression.

He wasn't quite sure if he would react that well to the news if it were about Heung Soo. It was different with Nam Soon, because they had never been that close. “Maybe,” he said, nodding in a not very convincing way “... give him some time to adjust and then maybe we can be honest in the future,” Nam Soon murmured as he stood up, heading to the kitchen counter. “Let's cook ramen?” He suggested, but already grabbing a package from inside the drawer.

Heung Soo stood instantly behind him, shaking his head. “I was thinking about having a dinner somewhere,” he said in a low tone, and Nam Soon dropped the package back into the drawer with a smile on his face.

“Oh, where at?” He seemed to like the suggestion and leaned against the kitchen counter, staring at the other.

“Well...” Heung Soo quickly bit his lips, shrugging his shoulders to pretend he hadn't been thinking about it all afternoon, “you told me you wanted to eat lobster too,” he said, but was interrupted by Nam Soon’s loud chuckle.

“You’re not buying lobster,” he exclaimed with a huge smile on his face. “How about some chicken wings in a bar?” he suggested, but already grabbing his wallet and cell phone from the central table in front of the TV.

Heung Soo stared at him with a funny expression that Nam Soon missed because he had his back to him, turning off the TV.

“Oh my God Nam Soon, you really do have a poor sou,” Heung Soo mocked him, but Nam Soon didn't seem offended - not at all. He stared at the other for a while and approached him.

“Heung Soo...” He shook his head, slightly touching his shoulders comfortingly, “I don't have a poor soul. I am poor,” he emphasized those last few words and let out a laugh. Heung Soo pushed his hands away, a large smile appearing on his lips as he shook his head.

“Fine. Let's go to Myeongdong then,” Heung Soo said, pulling off his jacket and hanging it on the rack in front of the door, and grabbing only his wallet and cell phone and putting them in his pocket.

“Sounds better,” Nam Soon smiled as he headed to the door and quickly pulled on his shoes, as Heung Soo waited by his side, trying to fade away those bad feelings inside him that appeared ever since he'd run into that man in the parking lot.

 

“You don't have to say I love you to say I love you

Forget all the shooting stars and all the silver moons”

 

[/CONTENTID3][CONTENTID4]

First chapter of the year! I didn't took so long did I? In fact the chapter was ready since Friday, but just now I managed to finish revising it. Anyway, I had to split it in two another time, that's why it ended too abruptly, but otherwise it would be too long (and also take longer to post it)... Good news is that the next one won't take too long either :) Soo, hopfully, I'll see you soon!

[/CONTENTID4]