Chapter 4

Soulmate

Sorry for the delay! Was busy with work >.< Enjoy!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was either everything around him really happened in a rush, or Choong Jae’s brain was incapacitated due to shock. He vaguely registered Minwoo offering him to join the two boys in the shower, the burst of laughter from the living room and the boys who were outside entering the washroom anticipating for a “show”.

A million and one thought flashed through Choong Jae’s mind.

What were they doing?!

Wait a moment…was Andy together with Minwoo?!

Was this his soul mate’s revenge for him?!

The other boys had come in too?! Should he go over and cover Andy up?

Should he drag Andy out of the bathroom?

Should he…

“Why are you staring at me?!” Choong Jae was jolted out from his flustering thoughts by Andy’s yell.  He saw the younger man reached for a towel and wrapped himself up in quick hasty movements.

Choong Jae gulped, embarrassed. He realized he was gawking at his soul mate’s body earlier.

Great job Park Choong Jae. The first impression you created for your soul mate this lifetime was a homoual ert! Choong Jae thought sadly.

“He was just shock Andy. Come ‘on… don’t be shy!” Minwoo chuckled and tugged at the towel the younger man was clinging on to for dear life.

“Minwoo hyung, don’t do that.” Choong Jae said.

 “Don’t tell me we got another Hyesung.” Minwoo half laughed.

“Finally someone normal!” Choong Jae heard Hyesung shouted from the living room. The older boy was the only one who had not come in to witness Choong Jae’s awkwardness; or to ogle at his soul mate’s body for that matter.

“Yah, thanks to you we were always late for practice!” Minwoo shouted back while winking in his direction. Choong Jae did not have time to understand the wink. He was being pushed into the showers by the two hyungs behind him in an instant. He turned around, panicking; wanting to escape, but the two older boys had already started stripping. Choong Jae felt another pair of hands pulling his t-shirt up from behind him… …

It was terrifying how the boys introduced the Shinhwa culture to Choong Jae. But over the weeks, he had started enjoying it. Shinhwa was nothing like how Kangta had described the trainees in SM Entertainment. Hide-and-seek with the managers had become a usual thing as the members often sneaked out of dorm to party. In addition, there were lots of skinship and pranking of each other (courtesy of Minwoo). Choong Jae smiled at the memory where Andy thought his head was bleeding because Minwoo had mischievously replaced the shampoo with a bottle of ketchup beforehand. If only Andy would stop being awkward around him, Choong Jae’s life would be perfect.

Choong Jae knew that Andy was avoiding situations with just the two of them. And Andy had never addressed him with “hyung”, “Choong Jae”, or even “Junjin”. When the younger boy needed to speak to Choong Jae, he would just stand near until Choong Jae noticed him. Then Andy will say whatever he needed to and leave.

Choong Jae sighed. Was it because Andy really thought he was a ert after the day he joined the dorm? The day when he, beyond his will, stared at the younger boy in the shower? Even now when the five members (excluding Hyesung) showered together, Andy would always turn his body away from him. Choong Jae pouted while wondering how he was like in Andy’s mind. He sighed exasperated.

“Choong Jae-ah, are you alright? You looked lost in thoughts” Minwoo said. Dongwan who was also in their room gave Choong Jae a questioning look.

“Sorry hyung. I am just bored. I will go outside and watched some TV programme.” Choong Jae replied, standing up and exiting from the room.

The rest of the band was in the living room. Eric and Hyesung greeted him and turned back to Andy, continuing their earlier conversation in a language that was foreign to Choong Jae. He hated it when they were doing that (by now he already knew that Eric was not a foreigner). He hated it because it felt like there was an invisible barrier between him and Andy that the two older members were able to cross.

He glared at the back of the three heads and turned back into the room, slamming the door. Dongwan and Minwoo who were sitting cross-leg on the floor looked up at him, surprised.

“Were they doing that again?” Dongwan asked.

“Yeah! Can’t they just be more considerate?” Choong Jae said, crossed. Minwoo gave him an empathising look but Dongwan flashed an unexpected smile.

They heard a knock on the door and Hyesung’s head popped in. “Choong Jae?” He probed, concerned. Choong Jae tilted his head further and saw that Eric and Andy were behind Hyesung.

Dongwan stood up. “You guys come with me!” He commanded.

The group followed Dongwan into the room he shared with Hyesung. Dongwan pulled out a bag from his drawer and passed to each of the boy a black notebook.

“What is this for?” Eric asked as he swivelled the book in his hands.

“This…” Dongwan grinned, “Shall be our diaries. Each one of us is supposed to write a message for the other.”

Choong Jae saw Minwoo raised an eyebrow at Dongwan. He knew most of the members were skeptical of Dongwan’s idea, but Choong Jae thought it was brilliant. A message to Andy! Even better – A MESSAGE FROM ANDY! Finally he could get some insights into the mystery world of his soul mate. He caught his soul mate frowning while staring at the black book in his hands.

“Andy, I’ll write yours first.” Choong Jae gave a light smile, holding out his notebook to exchange for Andy’s. Andy peered at him for a while before finally surrendering his notebook.

That night, Choong Jae sat at the table mulling over the message he was going to write for Andy. He knew the message will eventually be read by all the members, thus he could not write about his feelings towards the younger boy. However, Choong Jae wanted the message to be heart-felt, and if possible, he wanted it to end the awkwardness between him and Andy.

Choong Jae lifted his pen and his thoughts flow out onto the book.

“Andy… I am sorry about all the things that had happened between us. But I want you to know that meeting you, being in the same band with you was the best thing that happened in my life. I know I should not have asked for more, but please give me a chance to be a hyung you can count on, a shoulder you can lean on… …”

Choong Jae’s message turned out to be more of a novel than a short message in the end. He had so excitedly exchange the diary back with Andy the following morning. However, his heart sank when he flipped open his own notebook.

It was a simple, seemingly harmless message. But the underlying meaning was clear enough for Choong Jae. He clutched his left chest as his teeth broke the skin of his lower lips.

“Like what Junjin suggests, I wish you will keep moving forward in life, find a great lady and be a great dad in the future! – Andy”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This chapter follows quite a bit of Shinhwa history xD Anyone spot anything familiar? =P I will continue the story in that way because most of my imaginations are based on real Shinhwa events.

Anyway, things I have included:

  1. The ketchup incident in the toilet xD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YNPZ4ln8Q8 , 2.38min). I’ve included the link because I know there was another version about Andy being the one that pranked Minwoo with ketchup.
  2. Andy really did not address Junjin in the past because he said he did not know which term he should be using since they are so close in age.
  3. The America boys did speak English on purpose during their trainee days
  4. The note book! I only know about Wansyung’s message to each other though. P.S Dongwan initiating the whole diary thing was purely imagination
  5. Initially I have a few lines on Wanjin’s friendship since Junjin did mentioned they were pretty close the start, and I thought Wannie will be a good person for Junjin to consult. But I removed it. >.<

Most of it are knowledge from watching Andy's video so I got no idea if these are well-known things =P