Chapter 7

Soulmate

Choong Jae took in the scent of shampoo and felt a warm body in his embrace. A smile crept onto his face as he snuggled further against the body. His eyes grudgingly opened when sunlight shined through his lids, but the sight of Andy filled his chest with contentment over again. He supported himself on an elbow and leaned forward to his sleeping soul mate. There was a desire to peck Andy’s cheek, but he only whispered, “You thought Junjin means to move forward without you, but the real significance of the name is to never give up on you.”

Choong Jae pushed himself out of bed, washed up and went into the kitchen. Eric and Minwoo were having breakfast.

“Morning Jinnie! Had a good sleep?” Minwoo grinned at him.

Choong Jae beamed at his hyung and nodded.

“Our maknae is the best bolster right?”

Choong Jae went stupefied before flashing an embarrass grin. He sat down, grabbed a slice of toast and quickly stuffed it into his mouth to avoid answering Minwoo. Eric poured him a glass of milk and Choong Jae murmured a faint “thanks” to the leader. He felt guilty over how stole Eric’s sleeping place the night before.

“So both of you are okay now?” Eric asked, not minding what Choong Jae had done the night before.

Choong Jae deliberated for a moment. He was still in the course of trying to redeem himself and convinced Andy he was not like his past lives. But hadn’t Andy opened up to him the day before, even if it was just very little?

“What’s for breakfast?” Dongwan came into the kitchen after returning from his morning run. He conveniently took a few gulps from Choong Jae’s glass. “So…Jinnie, you and Andy made up? What was the cause of your cold war before?”

Choong Jae bowed his head, unsure about how he should reply. All his hyungs who had woken up earlier than him had seen him hugging Andy. And from how Andy and he had been avoiding each other for the past months, explanation now was going to be arduous.

“He just realized what he had missed out for the past months; the privileges of hugging and kissing our cute and cuddly maknae.” Minwoo said, making Dongwan grinned.

“What are you guys chatting about?” Hyesung asked, entering the kitchen together with Andy. Choong Jae turned and a wide grin forced its way onto his face at the sight of his soul mate. But before he could say anything, Minwoo already pounced on the maknae.

“Did you have a good night sleep Andy?” Minwoo said mischievously.

Andy nodded innocently and walked towards Eric. Choong Jae then realized Andy did not know Choong Jae had slept beside him the night before. Or rather hug him to sleep the night before. A sense of relieve mixed with regrets filled his chest.

“Junjin, can you pass me the butter please?”

Did Andy just initiated speaking to him a second time (the first being the day before when Andy asked him to tidy up the room or he would not be sleeping in it)? Dongwan nudged him and Choong Jae realized he went into a stupor again. He quickly passed the butter over to Andy.

It was exasperating trying to guess what was in Andy’s mind. After breaking the news that he remembered their past lives and he could not accept Choong Jae, Andy became friendlier. However the younger boy always kept his actions in check, making clear he wanted nothing about advancing their relationship. The days went by and life was not getting any easier for Choong Jae. Shinhwa’s first album had been plagued by a financial crises and a flood disaster (their titled song was about having fun at the beach). Despite the countless promotional activities, Shinhwa’s first CD was a huge setback and revenue generated could not cover their expenditure. Choong Jae was getting anxious as the band was facing the risk of disbandment which might come much sooner than he could change Andy’s mind about himself.

 “Jin-ah, don’t worry. We can get through this. Hyung will never let Shinhwa fall apart.” Eric held his hand and said to him one day when they returned to their dorm after meeting up with a song writer. Due to the setback of their first album, no song writers had contracted them and the band had resorted to approaching song writers themselves and coming up with their own choreography.

Choong Jae looked at Eric; the resolve in the leader’s eyes brought tears to Choong Jae’s eyes. “Sorry hyung – ”

“Don’t be silly.” Eric interjected. “You have always tried your best. Your dream will come true one day. Now go to bed.” Choong Jae nodded and went into his room. He thought absently-mindedly about the “dream” Eric was referring to, but when he saw Minwoo and Andy already asleep with their make up on (the Shinhwa members were trying to decrease expenditure by saving on make-up), he pushed the thought to the back of his head and went to Andy’s side.  Like all other nights he was able to do so without Andy knowing, he pecked his soul mate’s cheek and whispered goodnight to the younger boy.

*** ***

After more than a year since their debut, Shinhwa’s second album was finally released in April. Despite not doing much promotion, their second album became a hit. They even won first position for Inkigayo. The managers granted the members a day leave and Choong Jae and Dongwan took the chance to visit their family. The rest had something else planned.

When Choong Jae returned to the dorm, only Eric was in front of the television eating instant ramen.

“Eric hyung!” Choong Jae greeted while taking off his shoes.

“Hey Jinnie! How was your day? How are uncle and your siblings?”

“They’re doing well. Thanks.” Choong Jae advanced to the couch and plopped himself beside Eric. “Where are the rest?”

Eric pouted. “I wanted to catch the last episode of the drama and they abandon me for dinner!”

“Awww…I’ll accompany you!” Choong Jae grinned and rested his head on Eric’s shoulder. The leader put his left arm around Choong Jae when the door opened and Minwoo and Hyesung stepped in.

“You are done so fast? Where’s Andy?” Eric asked the two members.

Minwoo flashed an impish grin, “He met someone he likes and we decided to give him some alone time with her.”

Choong Jae’s heart clenched. He felt Eric’s grip on him tighten as the older member blurted, “What?!”

“You should have seen the look on Andy’s face when he saw her. It was like he met his soul mate!” Hyesung laughed. Minwoo and Hyesung went on describing how love struck Andy was, but Choong Jae’s mind was already uncomprehending. All the efforts he had put in for the past year in order to keep the band going…all the efforts he had put in so that he could just stay by Andy’s side…

Why was life so cruel?

He died a little every night Andy called the girl and whispered sweet nothings. He tried not to listen, not to hear, but there was no where he could hide from the agony of knowing.

Andy began dating.

So...the bomb was finally dropped on Jinnie. Please don't hate the girl! Because she is real xD And don't hate Andy in the story. One chapter more and I will let you know what was going on in his mind xD (P.S Not nearing the end yet but it's about time I can intro Andy's thought without spoiler)

Fun fact: Minwoo was really the match-maker for Andy's 1999 relationship. Three of the members went for dinner to celebrate the success of their 2nd album and Minwoo made the rest go home and left Andy alone with the girl.

And the first album was really a painful painful time for our Oppa T.T They were even told to cut down on food to cut expenditures!!! But i believe that part of Shin history was what build their friendship. Our oppa had gone through a lot!