Chapter 2

Soulmate

Choong Jae clenched and unclenched his fists a couple of times trying to work the stiffness in his hands. His limbs felt weak, overcome by nervousness. But he could not afford to be feeble at this moment. The instant he stepped into the building, he felt an unexplainable hunch he needed to pass this audition. He raised his head; eyes sweeping across other hopeful individuals in the waiting room. There were about a dozen of them. A few had already left after being summoned by SM Entertainment’s staff. Choong Jae wondered about his chance of standing out among these people.

Choong Jae closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “Just treat this as another dance practice with Kangta and the rest.” He repeated in his mind. Kangta had reassured him earlier he would do fine. The older guy had told him his dancing skills were better than most of the H.O.T members. Choong Jae smiled remembering Kangta’s words. The guy could not mean it. H.O.T was the hottest thing in Korea then. But nonetheless, he was grateful to his senior.

The door clicked open and a SM Entertainment staff stepped in. “Park Choong Jae?”

Choong Jae stood up immediately and gave a polite bow. “I’m here.”

“Follow me.” The staff said in a drone manner. Choong Jae had imagined earlier that it would be fun working in an entertainment company, everyday alongside artists whom so many were dying to meet. But the atmosphere in the building told him otherwise. He felt slightly trapped and stifled. The staff and managers he had met all gave him the vibe of discipline master and he was reduced to the role of a vulnerable child.

He followed behind the SM Entertainment staff obediently. By chance, H.O.T was walking in their direction. He let his eyes find Kangta. When the band passed them, Kangta gave him a thumbs-up sign and mouthed “Fighting”. Choong Jae gave a slight nod and smile.

Choong Jae and the staff made a turn along the corridor. Choong Jae felt a sudden tugging yearning in his heart. His heartbeat accelerated. Was she near? Was she a trainee in SM Entertainment? Instinctively, he turned his head towards one of the room. The door opened and a head popped out. The owner of the head turned towards his direction and their eyes met. The boy was good-looking. His eyes were like two orbs filled with sparkling black liquid. Despite his astounding features, Choong Jae could feel his affable bearing. He gave Choong Jae a smile before withdrawing back into the room.

Choong Jae heard an exaggerated cough and realized that he had been standing there, dazed. He quickly apologized and continued down the corridor following closely behind the staff; not daring to let his mind wandered off again.

The audition room was at the far end of the corridor. Choong Jae was told to wait outside. He stood there, staring into the emptiness of the corridor when the boy appeared again. He was tiptoeing out of the room. He gave Choong Jae a winked before turning back and motioning for the people in the room to follow suit. Choong Jae witnessed one by one, a few boys crept out. The staff came out when a forth head appeared.

“Yah! Kim Dongwan! Lee Minwoo!” The staff yelled. The boys took run. The staff quickly shoved Choong Jae into the audition room and gave chase.

The audition room was bared other than for the panel sitting at the other end of the room. Choong Jae realized his mouth was still left hanging and quickly closed it. He did not dare take time to study the panel and immediately did a 90 degree bow.

“Good afternoon, I’m Park Choong Jae.” The panel began murmuring and Choong Jae felt heat travelling to his cheeks. He knew they were commenting on his name.

“Choong Jae, so you are going to dance for us today?” A voice filled with an air of authority resonated in the room, silencing the rest of the panel.

Choong Jae straightened his back and faced the panel. “Erm…I..er…yes sir.” He felt his confidence draining away. Unexpectedly, the person who had spoken gave him a warm smile.

“Don’t be too nervous. Since Kangta recommended you, you must be really good. You can start now.”

Choong Jae closed his eyes and inhaled. He let his desire to find her filled his entire mind like how the air filled his lungs. Then he pushed all thoughts away as the music he had chosen earlier started. He let his body flow together with it.

The music ended. So was his performance.

Choong Jae raised his eyes to meet the panel; the murmurings started again. He tried to study the man who had spoken to him earlier (from his observation, he believed the man to be the key decision maker). If the man was impressed, he did not show it.

“Okay, you can go. We will contact you if you are selected.” The man said.

Choong Jae turned and walked towards the door. But he could not walk out feeling heedless. Not when he had such strong feeling his soul mate was here. He halted midway. “Can I asked how long would that roughly be?” He regretted immediately when he saw the man narrowing his eyes and regarded him.

“Junjin.” The way the man said it seemed like he was savoring the words. Choong Jae was speechless. Was he asking him to leave? But this was a weird way to ask someone to get out.

The man smiled. “Welcome to SM Entertainment.” Choong Jae’s jaw dropped a second time that day.

Choong Jae later learnt that the man was none other than Lee Soo-man himself. He was instructed to pack up and move to the dorm on the following day. His dad was hundred percent supportive, which made Choong Jae kind of touch. He did not forget to stick a long list of to-dos and reminders on the refrigerator for his dad and siblings before leaving the house.

Choong Jae’s manager was waiting for him. The manager informed him that his stage name would be Junjin, and that he would be debuting with five others as Shinhwa (if they worked hard enough). Choong Jae liked both the names, especially his stage name. It was motivating for his "soulmate" quest.

When they reached his dorm building, he eagerly followed his manager up the stairs. The door opened shortly after they rang the bell. Choong Jae bowed immediately and his eyes took in five pairs of feet.

“Nice to meet you! My name is Park Choong Jae, please take care of me.” Choong Jae straightened his back and froze…

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I decided to make Lee Soo-man friendlier than what most people assumed because of the way the Shinhwa members respected him even up till now. If he was really the one who hit Andy to the point the maknae needed to wear a mask to hide his injuries (as the rumours said), the Shinhwa members would not treat him the way they are doing now. And I was touched by the way he gave Minwoo money (Minwoo's confession in taxi).

Sorry but I also got to post this here >.< Please join the 'Because Andy Exists" Project. This would be a present to Andy Oppa for the 16th Anniversary Concert. Deadline is 9 March 2014. Thanks guys! http://andymycutesuperman.tumblr.com/post/74611059941/because-andy-exists-project