Wonderwall

Simple Song

Tiffany Hwang's POV

As the youngest one in my family, I am used to be in a condition where I could get everything I want. Moreover, I always think of myself as a fighter of life and that's how I do it. I fight for everything I want. I won't give up until I get it, until I touch it, until I get the taste of it. Doesn't matter win or lose, what matter is working hard to give my best in achieving it. When I left California to pursue my dream as an artist in Korea, I fight for it. Everyone in my family is against it, they think there's no future in pursuing a life as an artist. But look at me now, blessed as one of the member in a great Kpop girl group. I almost always win my battle, almost, I don't know how it feels to not owning what I aim to own.

 

 

Taeyeon's been acting really weird lately, and I am dead worried about her. I've known her for 5 years, since we are 16, and she's always been the closest one to me ever since the beginning of our pre-debut years, of course even a slightest change in her behavior is troubling me. I care for her, a lot, and even saying a lot is an understatement. I love her more than I could ever love anyone outside my family member. Anyway, I am planning to make her take me out on a date today, just the two of us and talking our hearts out under the big blue sky of Seoul. I am sure it will brightens up her mood and who knows if she might tell me what's been going on in her head lately because I have no idea at all. 

After texting her, I decided to pick out outfits for our date. I go for a light blue blouse with a dark blue skirt, all blue just for my Taetae, I will try my best to make her happy today. I look at the mirror and smile widely imagining the rest of the day that I will spend with Taetae. Suddenly, I heard someone open my door and a small petite figure intruding into my room. 
"Where are you going? On a date?", she asks me looking as bored as I am hours before I ask Taeyeon to take me out on a date.
"Yes!" , I answer her in a high-pitched tone making her cringe. Oh gosh, she even looks adorable when she cringes. It's unfair how adorable she is compared to me who always try the hardest to smile brightly in order to show my eye smile, my biggest asset. We are born in a same hospital, why can't we both be adorable! I mentally protested on my head.
"How lucky, why can't anyone take me on a date!", she pouts as she lets out her trademark dolphin squeal voice.
Still look adorable, she's not even trying.
"Well you refuse everyone's invitation to go on a date. Don't blame anyone if you have to sit around in the dorms being bored", I stick out my tongue to her, teasing her is one of the funnest thing to do because she always give the best reaction. Oh Jessica, how can someone as adorable and fragile as you get an Ice Princess as a nickname. 
"I don't want to send mixed signals, Tiff."
"Mixed signals to who, Jess? to all those guys who never stop asking you out on a date?"
"I don't care about them really. But I don't want someone else get the impression that I am into any of those guys. Because I'm not," Jessica lays her flimsy figure on my bed and exhale loudly as if she's yearning or longing for something or someone.
I scrunch my eyebrows together and look at her with a bewildered expression. She's very crafty in her choice of words, always makes me wonder what she really means and feels. She could be a great artist or con man if she wants to. 
"And who is this someone?" I ask her boldly. Although I am sure she will answer me in yet another crafty words.
I am right. She doesn't answer, she focuses her gaze on the ceiling and humming a words from an unfamiliar song.
Jessica then gets out of my bed while still humming.....,"I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do, about you now."

 

After hours of waiting finally Taeyeon comes at 5 PM, I heard someone opens our dorm's room followed by a loud voice saying,"Nawasseo!"
I am half running, filled with excitement, greet her at the front door and throw my body to her. Taeyeon laughs by my sudden action and it makes my heart warm..and flutters, hearing her carefree laugh. 
"No one is home Fany-ah?", Taeyeon asks me.
I let go of the hug and answer her,"Nope, just me waiting for my date and Jessica."
Taeyeon's body seems to tense up when I answer her. I look at her with a worrying look, what's wrong with her, one minute she's laughing, not a moment later she looks like she's badly ill. 
"Jessica is going on a date?", Taeyeon asks me in a very indifferent voice. 
"No pabo, I said Jessica is home. I am the one who's going on a date!" I flinch her forehead and then kiss it afterwards when suddenly Jessica is coming out of nowhere.
"Oh, Taeyeon, welcome home," her face is very emotionless, she stands in the other end of the hall looking straight at Taeyeon and I. I am confused by her action, why don't she just come here and chat with us.
Taeyeon is still very tense, she stands very frigid and then give a small bow to Jessica.
"You are home."
All of a sudden I feel very uneasy being there, it feels like I am interrupting a very intimate and personal conversation between Taeyeon and Jessica, and it seems like they are not bothering me or even notice that I am still there anyway. So  naturally I try to get away from it before it gets any more awkward. I then say to Taeyeon,"Taetae, do you want to go now or do you need to rest a bit? I want to tidy up a bit."
Taeyeon doesn't answer me, she only gives me a small nod. I don't even understand what she means but I make my way to my room leaving Taeyeon and Jessica who stills staring at each other in a very awkward manner.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jessica proceeds to walk closer to Taeyeon, the closer Jessica gets, the more Taeyeon lowers down her gaze. Finally Taeyeon lifts up her head when she feels a smooth hand with a familiar strawberry scent is brushing her hair. 
"How are you Taengoo?", Jessica smiles radiantly, making Taeyeon stunned for a brief moment. 
Taeyeon can't help but smile back, she smiles cheerfuly, perhaps one of the happiest smile Taeyeon delivered in this past few months.
"I am great Sica, tired, but great."
"Don't be sad too often, will you?", Sica's hand still Taeyeon's hair in a very earnest endearment.
"I will not," Taeyeon still smiling,"Why are you at dorm? Don't you have any schedule?", Taeyeon stuttered at her speech, she scratches her hand awkwardly to avoid longer eye contact with the Ice Princess.
"No schedule for today. Too bad no one ask me out on a date."
"Ah, date", Taeyeon is at loss for words and just continue scratching her hand.
Jessica notices Taeyeon's odd behavior and then suddenly grab Taeyeon's hand.
"Does your hand itches? Don't scratch it too hard it will leaves an awful mark."
Taeyeon startled at the sudden action and her face is boiling red making her rather uncomfortable. Her peculiarity is noticed by Jessica who then continue to gaze at Taeyeon, she lets out a small giggle, seemingly entertained by the leader's dorkiness.
Still holding Taeyeon's hand, Jessica asks Taeyeon whose face now resembles a boiled crab,"So Taengoo, are you going on a date with Tiffany?"
"Ah, yes. She says that she misses me and she's bored so she asks me to take her out on a date."
"What if she likes you Taengoo?"
"I like her too."
"Oh."
Upon hearing Jessica's short reply, Taeyeon instinctively tighten her grip on Jessica's small hand that makes Jessica startled.
"I mean, I don't like her that way Jessica. She's a friend, I told you before right?" Taeyeon speaks with an abrupt determination. 
Jessica is still startled with Taeyeon's unforeseen reaction and though her hand hurts by Taeyeon's grip, she responds back with the same unmistakable passion. Both of them feels a bizzare kind of feeling, an unfamiliar fondness towards one another, an ardent yearns towards reaching each other's heart. Their interaction then cuts by the sounds of Tiffany's foot step approaching. Jessica let go of Taeyeon's hand and make her way to the living room, living Taeyeon astounded with the sudden intensity in their latest interaction.

"Taetae?", Tiffany's husky voice pull Taeyeon back into the earth and  make her regain her full consciousness.
"Fany-ah, are you ready?", Taeyeon smiles brightly at Tiffany, making Tiffany responds in a dubiously cute eye smile,"Aish, that eye smile is surely a killer."
Tiffany grabs Taeyeon's hand and intertwined her fingers tightly with Taeyeon's. Both of the girls then make their way out to a local restaurant nearby, their favorite place to go for lunch or dinner since their pre-debut days.

Both Tiffany and Taeyeon now sitting at their favorite booth, a hidden booth at the back of the restaurant but it still can overlook the windows. They both are wearing a cap and sunglasses to conceal their identity, but upon the release of Gee, their popularity has been skyrocketing and it is now even more difficult to conceal their identity because fans can even tell it's them by the posture of their body or their hairstyle. 
"Taeyeon, the fans are crowding outside."
"Let them be, they won't do anything."
"But don't you know that we've been paired a lot lately?", Tiffany beams when she tells Taeyeon, although she tries hard to remain indifferent.
"Yes I know. I am your best friend though, so why worry? It's not like we can fall in love with each other. You are like my younger sister whom I love so much."
The light in Tiffany's face is now gone, she lets out a disheartened laugh and mumbles,"Younger sister."
"But I am the one you love the most right, Taetae?"
"Of course yeppeuni, I love you the most", Taeyeon whilst concentrating with her kimbap answers Tiffany's question.
"My Taetae",Tiffany puts her finger in Taeyeon's nose and pull out another beaming eyesmile.
"Your Taetae yes, I will always care for you and protect you Fany-ah." 


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last touch of warmthness from the Spring's sun of Seoul lays upon Taeyeon and Tiffany's face, the sky is reddening in a gorgeous mix of orange and blue color and the evening quickly turns into night. Tiffany still not letting go of Taeyeon's hand since they started walking out the restaurant followed by hysteric fans. Once they walk further from the crowding fans, they both fell into a comfortable silence, having no words exchanged between them, it's not like they don't have anything to talk about, but more that the deep-rooted fondness between them and the sense of tranquility that wraps them in the warm wind of Spring's air leave them both wordless. Knowing each other for so long sometimes put human into a time when they observe their feelings for one another, especially when the bond between friends expanded to the point that they can't put each other into the same layer with other friends. This one particular person has been so significant in shaping the character of each other that they have their own special layer, and mixing them with other friends would seems like such a huge crime. This is what Taeyeon's thought of Tiffany, and what Tiffany is still questioning in her heart and head. Does she fall for Taeyeon? But it's not right to fall for Taeyeon, but she cares about Taeyeon the most and vice versa. 

"Today is gonna be the day that they gonna throw me back to you.
By now you should've somehow realized what you gotta do.
I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do, about you now.

There are many things that I would like to say to you but I don't know how.
Cause maybe, you're gonna be the one that save me. And afterall, 
you're my wonderwall."

Tiffany looks at Taeyeon who suddenly humming a song that she seems to recognize from the lyrics.
"I think Jessi sang that song earlier."
Taeyeon turn her gaze to Tiffany,"Sica did?"
"Yes, earlier this afternoon when she visited me in my room. Whose song is that? and what is it about?", Tiffany asks, her tone is filled with curiousity.
"She sings this song huh", Taeyeon lets out a very soft and touching smile before answering Tiffany,"This is a song by Oasis, the title is Wonderwall. For me wonderwall is someone you can't stop thinking about, you admire this person so much it puts you in a state of agony. However, because you adore this person so much, the wonderwall, this someone, is going to be the one that saves you when they finally realize your feeling for them. They sort of save you from the state of agony that you're feeling for yearning them so much. And then you want to tell this person about your feeling, well, not only your feeling but you want to talk about everything, you want both of you to start from the beginning and tell each other about anything you need to know about each other. But you are too afraid to talk, to reach out and you are waiting for them to save you and at the same time you are afraid that you might lose your chance by not telling them your feeling."

"Wow Kim Taeyeon," Tiffany stares at Taeyeon with a surprised expression.
"What?"
"YOU'VE BEEN MISERABLE THESE PAST FEW MONTHS JUST BECAUSE YOU DO NOT HAVE THE GUTS TO TELL HER THAT SHE IS YOUR WONDERWALL? REALLY? I'VE BEEN STRESSED OUT BY THE THOUGHT THAT YOU MIGHT FALL INTO ANOTHER DEPRESSION BECAUSE OF THE CRAPLOADS OF WORK THAT WE HAVE NOW BUT IT TURNS OUT YOU ARE JUST IN LOVE. YOU PABO YAH, BYUNTAE WITH NO COURAGE", Tiffany suddenly shouts at Taeyeon while continously poking Taeyeon's forehead.
Taeyeon is bewildered by Tiffany's sudden rage and just stand there with an open mouth, her face is filled with disbelief by Tiffany's shout.
"Calm down Hwang Miyoung! You are attracting a lot of attention. Please calm down! We can talk peacefully."
"PEACEFUL----,
Taeyeon puts her hand in Tiffany's mouth to prevent Tiffany from raging again at her in public. The older girl than drag Tiffany to a park near their dorm and finally let Tiffany go when they arrive.
When Taeyeon finally let Tiffany go, the younger girl suddenly burst into tears and sobbing at Taeyeon's chest. She buried her face in Taeyeon's neck while continously saying,"You pabo! you make me worried! don't do that, don't do that. I thought you love me but you don't talk to me about anything."
Taeyeon is obviously not prepared for Tiffany's reaction, she pat the younger girl's back and pull her into a warm and tight hug to calm her down. After Tiffany begins to calm down a bit, Taeyeon speaks in a very careful manner.
"I apologize for making you worries. You have to believe that it is certainly not my intention to make you worried. I apologize as well for not being good and eloquent at words, for being perplexing in expressing my thoughts. You know that I don't like to burden anyone with my thoughts, right? especially you, I don't want to make you sad for something that doesn't even have anything to do with you. My unrequited love is my business, why should I bother you or Soonkyu or anyone else in the group for this personal, unprofesional feeling?"

Tiffany let go of Taeyeon's hug and once again poke Taeyeon in her forehead,"You are one big pabo yah, dork leader with a bizzare state of mind! We are best friend, a family even! If you are sad or down, of course you tell the others! No one is burdened by your personal feeling. And it's not unprofessional, Taetae, we might have to act professional when it comes to work but outside of that, we are family and we are here to help you get through whatever it is that you are going through."
Taeyeon smiles at Tiffany and she sweeps the tears out of Tiffany's face.
"I want to throw you to Han River now for making me think that you have romantic feeling for me! Now that I think about it, I feel astounded that I even think about we both being romantically involved. But then who knows, right? You are so easy to love, maybe if I am your wonderwall, I will save you right away. But I'm glad you are okay, just a little bit sick in love."
"I don't recall anything about being in love", Taeyeon gives Tiffany a questioning look before she take a sit beside Tiffany and let her gaze wander to the night sky which by now is filled with a splending view of stars and clear full moon.