Barbie and Ken

Simple Song

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The sound of forks and spoons clattering to each other fills the room, coexisting with the sound of conversation from its' occupier. 

*ting ting ting*

All heads in the room turn towards the sound of a spoon clanking with a bottle of champagne.

Tiffany is smiling brightly, her eyes turning into a wonderful shape of a crescent moon. She holds a bottle of champagne in her left hand and a champagne flute in her right hand.

"Let's make a toast to this wonderful occasion!"

Everyone nods in unison and utter an incomprehensible words that sounds like "yeah, yes, okay". 

Sooyoung stands up from her chair and turns her attention towards all of us. Her tall slender figure looks even more astounding with the elegant black dress.

"Taeyeon should start the toast. We are having this holiday because of her"

Once again everyone nods in unison, turning their direction towards me whose face must've been flushing due to their gratuitous thank you to me. Afterall the company is the one whose paying our trip, not me. Although I do take some credit in pushing them to grant us a holiday. 

I smile bashfuly at Sooyoung's statement but I stand anyhow. I know these kids will not stop impelling until I stand up and agree to say a toast. 

"I'm glad we all gather in this ocassion to celebrate our succesful concert and the first day of our holiday. I hope you guys enjoy and cherish this moment and ready to put even more efforts in our work after the holiday", I stop and look at them one by one, eyes filled with massive amount of tenderness,"I love you guys. Thank you for sticking up together all the time."

Across the room Seohyun starts to shed tears. I know this is going to happen so I look at her attentively and reach her for a hug.

A moment later everyone already circling around the maknae and I. We hug each other tightly, pressing our soul to one another. At the current moment my heart sank and I feel a tiny squeeze around it. I am discerning a vast amount of intimacy, attachment and devotion in their embrace. 

I try very hard to hold back my tears and smile. A leader has to be strong all the time. When the members cry, the leader has to stay calm and greet them with a smile of assurance. So I do, I pat them one by one, hugging them one by one without saying any words. My hug is my words of love, I was never good with words but I'll offer them hug whenever possible.

--

After our tender moment we spend time conversing and talking about our last concert. 

"Taeyeon delivered such a strong performance! You should be given more solo, pal. You have some serious talent there", Yul is talking excitedly, her face is quite flustered due to the second glass of champagne that she continues to drink.

"Dips on that. I really like the arrangement as well. I think that kind of song suits you buddy", Sunny is in her fourth glass already. But she still manages to add a sensible comment. She's a very good drinker isn't she.

"Yeah, I personally like that kind of songs. I wonder if I could do a performance like Yul or Hyo", I reply to Yul and Sunny's comments. 

Everyone bursts into laughter. I look at them puzzled. Tiffany must've been quite drunk for she starts to cry in her laughter and keep slapping my arms. 

"You are going to look like a total dork", Sooyoung is also on the verge of tears laughing at me. 

I frown at her comment and give all of them a disagreeing look.

"What? Do you think I can't rap?"

In the mood of entertaining I take Hyoyeon's baseball cap and a water bottle from the table and start to put on a show.

"Because I'm 5 foot 2, I wanna dance with you and I'm sophisticated fun. I eat fillet mignon and I'm nice and young best believe I'm number one"

Seohyun squeals,"Unnie stop it! You are embarassing!", she laughs and cover her face with both hands.

At this rate, everyone is about to die from laughter. I laugh along with them, boy this is a really fun night

"Oh oh, Sica unnie's performance is also a cute one! It suits her well", YoonA makes another comment about the concert.

I nod in agreement. It does fit her so well. Who else could sing a 'Barbie Girl' better than the Korean Barbie itself. 

"Yeah, her voice is like all 'life in plastic, it's fantastic'", Hyoyeon tries to imitate Sica to no avail. Everyone lets out another laugh and starts throwing her an empty water bottle. I let out a very pleasant laugh, these kids are amazing entertainer. They should start a comedy show. 

"Who's your Ken, Barbie?", Yul whose now clearly drunk is teasing Jessica.

"One thing for sure it's not you", Jessica playfuly hits Yuri with a water bottle.

Just when I thought the teasing is over, Sunny starts to tease Sica as well,"No really Barbie. Don't you have any 'Ken'?"

Sooyoung barges in with the teasing,"Come on tell us tell us. Doesn't Barbie's been oggling over Ken's pictures lately?"

"Yah really! I caught her once. Where does she gets all that picture?! Have you been stalking your 'Ken', unnie?", Yoona joins the teasing troops.

Jessica is incredibly flustered by now, she doesn't say anything and looks desperate, pleading at Hyoyeon to make her stop. 

I stare at them confusingly. Who's Ken? has she been dating again? Why'd she never tell me anything. I feel ill out of the sudden but I try to be vague, I don't want to ruin the atmosphere. Should I ask her later at night when we are talking? 

"Her Ken is no Ken. Isn't she too short to be Ken?", Hyoyeon is also obviously drunk judging from her face and incoherent rambles.

Wait. She? Jessica likes a girl?! My eyes become wide open at Hyoyeon's remark. Is she being drunk or being serious? 

Everyone burst out another boisterous laugh at Hyoyeon's remark. Everyone but....Seohyun. Seohyun also has a puzzling look but Seohyun never knows anything...she's always the last to know because she's too busy with Keroro..

Jessica's face is very red now, I think she's about to cry. In a flash of moment I don't even realize I already stand beside her and putting my arms around her, embracing and wiping the tears from her face. 

She hugs me back and I shoo away the bullies.

"Yah enough! stop it stop it!"

The bullies still laughing, they are obviously quite drunk for they still find it funny even though Sica is crying.

"Just in time to save Barbie. Great job 'Ken' !", Yul musses my hair and pat me in the back.

I try to register it to my head and find it confusing that Yul call me Ken. Does Yuri implying that I'm Jessica's Ken? 
I keep holding Jessica in my arms but my thought wouldn't stop thinking. But it's not possible isn't it? It's ridiculous someone like Jessica would like me...But the thought of her liking me sends a tingling sensation to my body. I shoo it away thinking how delusional I might sound.

 

But really,

Who's your Ken, Barbie?