I'm Alive

Cats Can be Human

 Chapter 11: I'm Alive

“W-what do you mean Yuni’s dead?” I could feel Daehyun shake as he spoke.

“I went to the police station this morning to give them a picture of Yuni for them to put on their wall. When they saw the photo, they said they had found a cat that looked like her when they were patrolling. So I went to see her and it was Yuni,” Mrs. Jung say wearily hating to have to say this to her son.

If they found my cat body how is that possible? This can’t be right.

I could see Daehyun grow smaller. I put my hand on his shoulder trying to bring any comfort that I can.

“I’m sorry Daehyun,” Mrs. Jung says softly as she says her head sadly.

Daehyun’s tears slowly come in as he makes his way out of the kitchen.

“Daehyun…” I softly call out to him but he ignores me and walks up the stairs.

What’s going on?

Even though it’s almost getting dark outside, I decide on heading downtown to see Mrs. Hwang. I need to find out what is happening.

 

***

I stand before the gloomy physic reading building. Being here at night makes me look all around me to make sure that nothing comes out of nowhere. I knock on the door loudly enough for Mrs. Hwang to hear. After a few seconds the door creaks open and there stands Mrs. Hwang.

“Yuni is that you?” Mrs. Hwang says and squints her eyes.

“Yes it’s me Mrs. Hwang. I need to talk to you!” I say as I walk into the dark room.

“What is it?” Mrs. Hwang asks tiredly.

“The police found my cat body in a park. How could they find my body when I turned into a human?!” I exclaim and pace around the entire room.

“That’s impossible!” Mrs. Hwang gasps.

“I know right! I have to tell Daehyun that I’m Yuni, he’s in so much pain now thinking that I’m dead! I can’t watch him be in this condition!” I say and everything comes out in a jumble.

“No! You can’t do that. It’s too soon. You have to go identify the cat yourself and prove to them that they have the wrong cat,” Mrs. Hwang says.

“How am I supposed to do that?!” I whine in desperation.

“Yah! Calm down!” Mrs. Hwang says and hits me in the heat lightly with a rolled up newspaper.

“Ahhh Mrs. Hwang!” I whine anyways.

“You have the three claw scratches are your arm right? So the cat they’ve found wouldn’t have the claw scratches,” Mrs. Hwang says.

“Oh! That’s right! Thank you Mrs. Hwang!” I say and bow.

“Your welcome,” Mrs. Hwang says and begins to leave into the darkness.

I run as quickly as I can back home to fix this and to get the heck out of that scary part of town!

***

I burst into Daehyun’s room and see him lying face down on his bed.

“Daehyun!” I exclaim and run over to his side. I lightly shake him but he doesn’t respond. My heart sinks down to my stomach. Is he okay? I turn him over so that he is lying facing up. It’s turns out that he is sleeping. I take a deep breathe.

“Thank God,” I quietly say.

His eyes are stained red. His pillow show signs that he has been crying hard as there are wet spots from his tears.

“Daehyun-ah,” I say while lightly shake him. Slowly one eyes flickers open then the other.

“Mingi?” Daehyun says as he lifts his head up.

“Yeah It’s me. Does Yuni have anything significant of her that another cat might not have?” I ask him.

“Um yeah…she has three scratches on her arm in a row,” Daehyun says as he sits up.

“Good, we have to tell the police to check to make sure if the cat has the scratches,” I say and stand up.

“Alright, let’s go tell my mom,” Daehyun says and gets up as well. He wipes away some of his tears as we make our way downstairs.

“Mrs. Jung you have to call the police and ask them to see if the cat has claw marks in a row on her arm,” I say out of breathe.

“Oh uh alright,” Mrs. Jung says as she gets the phone and dialls the police station. Once she is connected she tells them about the scratches. Silence goes on in the nest few minutes.

“Really? Thank you so much!” Mrs. Jung says and hangs up the phone.

“The cat isn’t Yuni!” Mrs. Jung exclaims with a huge happy smile.

“Yes!” Daehyun exclaims while letting go of his breathe that he’s been keeping in.

In my excitement I hug Daehyun. He is surprised at first but then hugs me back.

I’m just glad he doesn’t have to be so sad anymore.