Chapter 2

Treat My Heart Right

The car zooms across the highway without minding the speed limits, the driver ignoring the other cars on the highway. Both of the driver's hands are gripping the steering wheel tightly until his knuckles turn white. He steps on the gas pedal with all his energy, willing the car to go faster. Tears are starting to form in his eyes, almost blurring his vision. He doesn't bother to wipe them off; he lets the tears roll down his cheeks.

Daehyun enters the hospital, and parks his car carelessly in front of the building. He gets out of his car quickly, forgetting the paper bag that he placed on the driver seat. The huge, white building is bustling with activity. He shivers when he enters the air-conditioned building, and the tears that stain his cheeks feel cool against his bare skin. Again, he ignores the feeling. 

He rushes towards the lifts and instantly pushes the button. He almost made a choice to take the stairs since the lifts were taking too long when suddenly the door opens. There are a few other people in the lift, but he takes no effort to acknowledge them. The lift goes up to the desired floor, and he steps out with a heavy heart.

He sees Sooyoung's parents on the benches; Sooyoung's father's head is in his hands and her mother is comforting him. He sees a person on the floor, crumpled, hugging her knees to her chest, her hair forming a curtain around her face. He instantly recognizes Minji- Sooyoung's best friend. She lifts her head up when she hears Daehyun's shoes clicking on the floor. 

"You're- you're here," her voice is hoarse, obviously from all the crying. Her eyes and nose are red, and her hair is a mess. Daehyun goes up to her and helps her to stand up. 

"How?" is the only word that he manages to spit out. His throat feels dry and he can't seem to mutter anything else. Sooyoung's parents are still quiet and it takes a lot of effort for Minji to say something. 

"Brain tumour. She had primary brain tumour all this time and she didn't tell us!" Minji almost break into a hysterical fit, but Daehyun calms her down by gripping her wrists.

"Minji, calm down. Please," Daehyun's lips are trembling. He can give advice to his girlfriend's best friend, but he doubts that he can follow his own advice. He helps Minji to sit down and he turns towards Sooyoung's parents. "Mr. and Mrs. Kim... I am so sorry, I didn't know..." 

Mrs. Kim shakes her head and blows her nose with a handkerchief. "It's not your fault, Daehyun. All of us didn't know she was suffering from brain tumour. That- that stubborn girl!" With that she stands up and pulls her husband's hand. "I need to go home and calm myself down," Mrs. Kim states. "Can the both of you manage?" 

Daehyun and Minji nod weakly, both of them unable to utter anything. When both of Sooyoung's parents are out of sight, Minji bursts out in tears, gripping her hair and shaking her head crazily. Daehyun ignores her and just zones out. His vision is suddenly blocked by a lean man- possibly in his late 20s, wearing a white coat. Although he's older, he seems like he can stand in line with Daehyun. His black hair is slicked back, and his features stand out. Daehyun snaps back to reality and he looks up. The doctor is holding a clipboard, while flipping through the papers. 

"Are both of you related to Ms. Kim Sooyoung?" the doctor's voice is surprisingly deep. 

"I'm her boyfriend- well I used to be, and she's her friend," he points to Minji who's still in a state of hysteria. The doctor nods briefly but his face shows no expression. 

"Can you follow me please, Mr...?"

"Daehyun. Jung Daehyun."

"Ah yes, can you follow me? I have some things to discuss with you. If that's okay with you."

Daehyun looks over to Minji to ask if she's going to be okay alone, but she's staring blankly to the white wall in front of her. He takes that she's going to be okay, so he stands up and proceeds to tail the doctor. He struggles to keep up with the doctor’s pace; not once does the doctor look back to check if he’s still behind. Finally, they reach the doctor’s office, and the doctor invites him to sit.

“Do you want some coffee? Or perhaps, tea?”

Daehyun politely refuses because he doesn’t think it’s a suitable time for him to sit back and relax while having a cup of coffee or tea. While waiting for the doctor to tell him anything, he looks around the office. There’s a computer on the doctor’s left hand side, and a stained cup beside it. Various files are arranged in an orderly manner, a lot of papers stacked on the table and an assortment of medical books organized on a small brown bookshelf. Although the room is small, the arrangement makes it look spacious and comfortable.

“You’re her boyfriend?”

“I used to be,” Daehyun corrects him.

The doctor chortles and replies, “I’m Yongguk by the way. Bang Yongguk.”

“Doctor Yongguk?”

Yongguk lifts his forefinger and wiggles it. “No, just Yongguk. I’m still not used to people calling me doctor.”

“Very well- Yongguk. You said that you need to discuss with me about matters regarding Sooyoung?” he doesn’t want to drag this on longer, he’s so curious on what the doctor is going to say.

“I just want to inform you that her heart is going to be donated to a patient.”

“What? You can’t do that! So are you telling me that you’re going to cut her chest open and give her heart to someone else?” Daehyun is already standing up and he slams his hand on the table. His mouth was dry, but now his mouth is flooded with saliva. He’s furious; how can the doctor do whatever he wants? Strangely, the doctor remains calm and gives him a smile, which Daehyun sees as a sinister smile.

“Mr. Daehyun, please take a seat.” Yongguk clasps his hand and takes a piece of paper from the tray under his table. When Daehyun still refuses to sit, he presents the paper to him. “This-“ Yongguk points to a few lines of sentences on the paper. “-is Ms. Sooyoung’s will. This is what she wants; it’s written in her will that she wants to donate her heart to a needy patient. So really, tell me, Mr. Daehyun. Are you saying right now- you don’t want to follow your girlfriend’s last wishes?”