Chapter 18

Treat My Heart Right

"Mount Namsan," Jiyoon breathes. 

"I figured you'll like Namsan Tower, if you don't mind walking towards the cable car station," Daehyun shifts the shopping bags he's holding to his left hand, while his right hand scratches his head. She had insisted on carrying them herself, but he insisted that the man should carry them instead. 

They walk up the flight of stairs together. Since there are a lot of steps, occassionally they will stop to catch their breath. It's night and it's chilly; Jiyoon has to rub her hands together to keep herself warm. She regrets wearing a short-sleeved blouse, but it's too late now. Daehyun notices this and puts his jacket over her. "It's still cold, so remember to bring your jacket next time we go out together."

Jiyoon's taken aback by two matters; Daehyun actually showed care by lending his jacket and he said that they'll go out again next time. "I- I will."

By the time they reach the cable car station, they're out of breath. After buying the tickets, they get on board the cable car. Only the two of them are in the moving vehicle, and Jiyoon takes the time to enjoy the scenery. It's her first time on board the cable car. Daehyun, who has been on board the cable car countless times, isn't even captivated by the scenery. Instead, he's entranced by the woman in front of him. He smiles when he sees Jiyoon's eyes twinkle at the sight. They reach the other end of the cable car station, and both of them get out. They walk a little bit more to get to the tower, just in time to see the laser show.

"I've never seen anything like this," Jiyoon says. 

"That is why I planned to bring you here," Daehyun says. Jiyoon is still shivering, and Daehyun grabs her hand. If she's surprised, she doesn't show it. He laces their fingers together. "Since you're still cold, I have to hold your hand so you won't be freezing."

She ignores the feeling deep down in her stomach. Somehow she feels guilty spending half the day with Daehyun, and not informing Mrs. Bang on where she's going. Would they be worried about her, or they wouldn't care on whether she'd go back or not? They can't reach her since she doesn't have a phone, and she herself doesn't know the number to Yongguk's house. She's conflicted, but as she feels Daehyun's hand gripping hers tighter, she decides it wouldn't hurt. She's a grown-up woman, so she should be able to make her own decisions, right?

"I wonder when will be the time we'll get our love 'locked' here," Daehyun says cheekily, referring to the row of love locks. There are different types of locks, but each of them is filled with hopes of being together until forever with their loved ones. Daehyun takes the time to observe some of the locks, smiling at some of the things written on them. Jiyoon distances herself from him, not wanting to touch the subject about their complicated relationship. Plus, they've only gone out this time, and she isn't sure herself whether it's an official date. Sure, Daehyun had ask her 'permission' to make her fall in love with him, but how will she know if he's not toying with her feelings? 'The only reason I'm going out with him today is because I pity him, that's it,' she whispers to herself. 

"Let's go inside the tower, it's cold," Daehyun mutters. 

After buying the tickets to go to the top floor, they make their way to the observatory. "Whenever you stand here, you'll feel like you own the world," Daehyun adds as soon as they can see the whole city from up there. Dots of night lights decorate the scenery, much to Jiyoon's delightfulness. She rushes towards the edge, and presses her face against the glass. Daehyun makes his way slowly besides her. He pinches her cheeks, and says, "You can be scary at times, but most of the time you're cute."

She pretends she didn't hear his words, and stares back into his brown orbs. The man in front of her is dashing, sure- she can't deny that. She studies his face; dark lines is clearly visible under his eyes, and it's as if he's forcefully keeping his eyes wide open. She's sure he's hiding something from her, something that has been keeping him awake. "Daehyun," she says, perking him up. 

"Yes?"

"Please don't lie to me."

"Sorry? I didn't lie-"

"I know there's something that has been bothering you until you couldn't sleep well," she cuts him off. If before Daehyun usually cuts her sentences, she's the one doing it now. She needs to know, and she somehow feels sorry towards him even though she doesn't know the whole story. 

Daehyun his lips, and plays with the hem of his shirt. Suddenly he feels so inferior and weak. He gulps a few times, forming a reply in his head. Should he confess? Or just lie through his teeth, just to forbid her from asking further? "I saw her in my dreams," he decides he can't lie to Jiyoon. 

"Sooyoung?"

He nods, and turns to face the glass. His breath fogs the glass, and it disappears before Daehyun exhales again. The cycle repeats, before he opens up his mouth to speak. "It's always the same thing over and over again, with me and her surrounded by darkness. She's on the other end of a road, I'd always try to run to her but I can't seem to move nearer. After that she'd disappear into the darkness, leaving me alone. It's the same dream I've been getting since I-" he stops, unsure on whether he should continue.

"Since?" her curiousity is eating her out. 

"-met you for the first time. I don't know what the dream means, and I'm always scared it would haunt me if I sleep. So in the end, I abandon my sleep and try to distract myself doing whatever. I'm- I'm scared," he admits.

She looks over at him, full of apprehension. Daehyun is studying the scenery again, but she knows he really isn't paying attention to what's in front of him. She can tell his mind is somewhere else, and his trembling hands confirm that he's not feeling very secure. Before she knows it, her hand grabs his trembling hand and she rubs her thumb against his skin, assuring him. "It's going to be fine, don't be scared. I'm- I'm with you," she feels ashamed to verbalize the words, but she needs to calm him down. 

"Until when will you be by my side?" his glossy eyes search her eyes. 

"For as long as you need me," her heart is beating really fast, until she can hear it pounding in her ears.

"What if I need you forever?"

"Then... I'll be by your side, forever."