Chapter 7

Treat My Heart Right

“It feels like a short period of time, but it’s already four weeks since the surgery and you’re already allowed to go back home,” Yongguk says as he helps to pack all of Jiyoon’s belongings. It’s hard for him to let her go, but her condition is already stable, so she’s allowed to go back home.

“It’s short for you, but to me it’s a very long time because I had to lie on the bed the whole time and stare at the ceiling. Unlike me, you’re running around the hospital attending to patients and two weeks to you are nothing. I’m so glad that I’m allowed to be discharged,” she tries to lift her bag but Yongguk prevents her from doing so.

“Don’t! It’s heavy, and you shouldn’t strain yourself.”

“I’m fine.”

“Don’t lie.”

“Maybe not entirely fine, but I can manage this.”

“No, you can’t. Just wait here until your parents come and pick you up.”

“Oppa, you’ve known me for so long but you still don’t know? Both of my parents already passed away. It’s just me and my brother now.”

“I… I didn’t know. I’m so sorry,” his face twists with guilt, since he genuinely didn’t know about it. He doesn’t really know much about Jiyoon’s personal life.

“It’s fine,” she sticks out her tongue. “I’m already used to it.”

“You’re going to wait for your brother, right?”

She shakes her head. “I’m going to go back by bus.”

Yongguk’s eyes widen with disbelief. “Don’t say such ridiculous things! Is it even logical for a woman who just went through a heart transplant surgery to go back home alone by bus?”

“That’s the only way for me to get back home.”

"Taxi?"

"It's too expensive."

"I'll pay for it." 

"I don't want to trouble you."

“What about your brother? Surely he can pick you up?”

“He’s always busy,” she laments. “Anyway, I’ll go now. Thank you for taking care of me,” she grabs the handle of her bag. Yongguk quickly grabs her hand and pulls it back.

“You’re not going anywhere until you have a proper transportation medium.”

“I want to go home now! Oppa, I’m sick of this hospital. I just want to go back home and see the familiar scenery instead of this boring, white-washed hospital!” she releases her hand from Yongguk’s grip.

The doctor is taken aback by her sudden outburst but he tries to understand her feelings. “I know- but you still have to have to go back home by car. You know what, just wait here for a few hours, I’ll finish my shift soon and I can take you home. I promise.”

Jiyoon sighs but her body is still rigid. “No, I want to go back home now. I don’t care what you say. Can you please leave me alone?” She stomps towards the door while carrying her bag. Yongguk doesn’t have time to stop her, and she refuses to listen to the doctor’s words. Soon, he’s all alone in the ward. 

What can he do when she won't even listen to him?

...

She missed the bus this time, so she has to wait for an hour before another bus comes. That is, if the bus arrives on time. She takes a seat at the bus stop, and looks from left to right for any sign of a soul. A few people pass by, but none of them are waiting for the bus. Suddenly, a car stops in front of the bus stop. Jiyoon feels a little bit scared; her mind goes back to all those kidnapping cases she heard. She wonders if her new heart can take it if she runs away now. 

Before her mind can think of anything else, the car window is rolled down and she sees a familiar face. She's uncertain whether it's really him, so she rubs her eyes a few times. Her eyes are not playing tricks; it's really him. What is he doing here?

"Want a ride?"

She blinks a few times at his sudden offer. "Ride? It's- it's fine. I shouldn't be accepting an offer for a ride from a stranger."

"I'm not a stranger. We've met that day, remember?"

"Only once."

"You're still not that healthy, and taking the bus can be dangerous considering your condition. I'll send you straight to your home. Plus, you have to wait for a long time for the bus."

Accepting his offer won't hurt, right? He seems like someone that can be trusted, and he's right; even she doesn't think she can wait an hour just for the bus. She stands up, "I'll accept your offer this time." She picks up her bag but he puts up his hand.

"Wait."

He goes out of the car, takes the bag from her and throws it on the backseat. He opens the door for her, and she hesitates one more time before stepping into the vehicle. She blushes when the man helps her to put the seat belt on. 

"You don't listen to the radio?" Jiyoon enquires the man. 

He shrugs. "I prefer to drive in silence."

"If- if you don't mind can you let it slide this once? It's been a long time since I've listen to songs; I really miss listening to the radio." 

Daehyun smiles and switches on the radio. She feels relaxed after the car is filled with noise from the radio. She increases the volume a little bit when a ballad song comes up. 

"You like ballads?" Daehyun asks as he gives a signal to turn right. 

"They're my favourite. I can listen to them all the time because they're soothing."

"I almost forgot to ask about your address."

She states her address, the house where only she and her brother lives. It's been a long time since she went back home, and she's really excited to go home. She can't wait to feel free in her own home, instead of being restricted in the ward in the hospital. She can't wait to meet her brother, whom she misses very much. 

"Is this it?" Daehyun pulls up in front of a house. It looks very old, and the paint is chipped off. Pieces of old furniture are stacked at the verandah of the house. 

"Yeah, it's my home. I know your house probably looks a million times better than this but it's all I got. Anyway I'm still grateful because I have a home to go back to. I'll go inside now, thanks for the ride! I really appreciate it." 

Daehyun steps out of the car and helps to carry her bag. "I'll accompany you until you enter your house. Just so I can make sure nothing will happen to you." They walk side by side up to the door, with Daehyun slugging her bag. 

"Oppa, I'm back from the hospital!" she shouts, in hopes that her brother would hear. She doesn't have the keys to her house so it's her only way. There is no answer, so Daehyun tries the doorknob. The door opens easily, and both of them look at each other with a million questions in their head. 

"Stay behind me," he warns. She obeys and shields herself by standing beside him. 

She's worried; what if anything happens to her brother?

The door creaks when Daehyun pushes it open. Jiyoon gasps when she sees the sight of the inside of her house. The contents in the house are strewn all over, and she can see empty beer bottles on the floor. Some of them are smashed to pieces. This isn't the condition of her house when she left it months ago. Daehyun carefully puts down her bag on an empty space on the floor. On the couch, a limp figure is slouching, slugging a bottle of beer. 

"You're- back- Jiyoon," the man hiccups. 

"Oppa! Why are you like this? What happened to you?" Tears are starting to stream down her pale face. She wants to run to her brother, but Daehyun pulls her back. 

"Don't- he's drunk. You don't know what he's going to do to you. Just stay away," he warns her again. Her chest rises up and down because she's too shocked by what she just found out. This isn't her brother... What has gotten into him? 

Suddenly her brother throws the bottle of beer aside, lunges forward, his hands in front of him, aiming for Jiyoon's neck. She yelps but Daehyun pushes her aside and his hands meet Daehyun's instead. Jiyoon, too stunned to do anything, sprawled on the floor, is only able to watch. is dry and she can only plead silently. 

Her brother's hands become tighter around Daehyun's neck, quickly draining the colour on the young man's face. "Ji- Jiyoon," he sputters. "Run- away- please," he finishes off as he feels her brother's iron grip squeezing his windpipe. "Go- save- yourself." His vision is becoming blurry, thanks to the lack of oxygen. 

He feels disoriented and he doesn't think he can hold on any longer...