Chapter 40

Treat My Heart Right

He doesn’t know whether it’s because he’s too tired, or his eyes are playing tricks on him, but Bang Yongguk is right there, in front of him. He’s making his way towards him, but it seems that the doctor still haven’t noticed him. He’s walking with his head down, only looking at his feet making their way on the paved road.

“Bang… Yongguk… Is that you?”

The doctor finally looks up, and the expression on his face shows that he didn’t expect to meet Daehyun, too. He tries to pretend that it was just a mistake; that he didn’t actually hear Daehyun call his name, but it’s no use. Daehyun is already making his way towards him, clenching his right fist. Without any warning, the younger man punches him straight in the jaw, producing a cracking noise in the process.

It took Yongguk by surprise as he doesn’t have time to deflect the attack, and he stumbles backwards, landing harshly on his side with his arms stretched out. He wipes the blood coming out of his nose and stands up almost immediately. His expression is blank; Daehyun doesn’t know what he’s thinking right now.

“What do you think you’re doing, you bastard? You know how worried we are, your mother, your sisters, Park Jiyoon?” he stresses it when he says Jiyoon’s name.

Still, Yongguk keeps quiet. He’s like a statue, deaf to any kind of sounds.

“You think it’s funny when you disappeared like that, without any trace? Is it funny, huh? You jerk, you better explain yourself.”

“I just did what I had to,” Yongguk says, massaging his jaw.

“You think this is a joke? You’ve been missing for four freaking years! We were worried sick about you, and now you’re here, all safe and sound. What kind of sick joke is this, Bang Yongguk?”

“The letter… did you receive it?” he says, ignoring Daehyun’s outburst.

“Yes, I got it. Are you satisfied? Jiyoon knows about the letter already, I gave it to her yesterday.”

“I didn’t mean it to happen this way; it was a mistake I went here today.”

“You’re regretting this now? Have you ever thought how Jiyoon resented herself? She keeps blaming herself because of you.”

“It was my mistake, I know.”

“If you’re going to stand here being all mysterious and secretive, I’ll pretend we’ve never met. I’ll just pretend you’re some kind of stupid illusion that I’m not supposed to have,” he passes the doctor, already entering the building.

“I wanted to take my own life away, that day.”

Daehyun stops walking, but his back is still towards Yongguk. He contemplates on whether he should face the doctor, but he doesn’t have to make the choice as Yongguk is already standing in front of him now.

“Something stopped me, or… someone.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Your girl- your late girlfriend… I saw her.”

“Stop twisting your words and go straight to the point. Talk something sensible so I can understand what on earth is going on.”

“It’s true that I wanted to jump over the bridge, letting the cold water be the last thing I feel before it’s all gone. But then I saw Sooyoung… I didn’t know what was going on. I thought I must be going crazy, that everything must be an illusion. She was sitting on the railing, letting her legs dangle over the edge. At that time, I definitely thought this is the end, I couldn’t believe I’m imagining her. But she stopped me; she told me that it’s not worth it to end my life this way. What’s the purpose if I’ve been battling my whole career to save people’s lives but now I want to take my life away? She somehow… persuaded me until I canceled my intentions to jump. The next moment I looked for her, she’s gone. I didn’t want to go back home and face Jiyoon because I was too embarrassed, but I didn’t want to take my life away anymore. I was trapped. So I did the only thing I could; I called my mom. I begged her to not tell anyone about where I was, told her that I didn’t want to face everyone until I’m ready and just let people assume I was… dead. She helped me start a new life, living far away from here.”

“Mrs. Bang… knew about all of this. No wonder she doesn’t seem surprised when I told her you’re… gone.”

“Yes, but please don’t blame her. I begged her to do everything for me; she only helped to protect me. It was supposed to continue until I feel like I can face you and Jiyoon, but I couldn’t. I was never ready, until…”

“… you bumped into me by accident.”

“I’ve always visited Sooyoung on the day after her memorial day, and I’ve succeeded doing that for the past four years without bumping into you. Only today… I didn’t expect to meet you here.”

“I just happened to… miss her. You know, I can never let her go.”

The two men are silent as they delve into their own thoughts. Daehyun runs his fingers through his hair and says, “You know… It’s never too late to start over with Jiyoon. She’s always waiting for you, ever since the past four years…”

Jiyoon wakes up with a jolt as she realizes the day is coming to an end. She’s been spending her time in front of the television ever since coming back home from work, and she dozed off. She proceeds to close the curtains when she realizes that it’s already 10 p.m. She rubs her eyes, and stretches as she takes a peek of the scenery outside.

She particularly chose this unit as her home because the scenery is just so nice; definitely something to look at when she’s feeling bored or lonely. The reason she suddenly jolted away was because she saw Yongguk in her dreams, and it’s as if Daehyun was calling her name. She saw Yongguk’s face, but she heard Daehyun’s voice.

She doesn’t know what to make out of the dream, but she keeps having frequent dreams that revolve around Yongguk. Only this time, she heard Daehyun’s voice. Does she miss that doctor so much?

He’s her lifesaver, after all.

If only she could turn back time, she wants to apologize. She shakes her head at that thought; she said she wanted to forget. But why does the memory of Yongguk keep coming back to her? If only the dream meant that he’s still alive…

“Bang Yongguk, I miss you… and I love you. If only I could have said those words earlier…” Jiyoon says to herself. She promised to Daehyun that she would never cry tears of sadness anymore, but she broke her promise.

She’s crying.

Because of Yongguk.