Chapter 25

Treat My Heart Right

In his dream, this is exactly what Yongguk's bungalow looks like. In fact, all of the intricate details on the gate looks like how he remembers it. He remembers looking through the metallic flowers, hoping for Jiyoon to turn back...

"Is there something wrong?"

Daehyun had asked Yongguk to bring him to see Jiyoon, but when Yongguk wanted to open the automatic gate, he stopped him. Instead, he steps out of the car and stands in front of the gate. He wants to make sure that it is the same house in his dream. He doesn't want anything else out of picture besides Jiyoon not recognising him. That thought alone is painful, but he calms himself down by being positive; maybe seeing him might spark a memory? 

Sounds weird, yes, but not impossible. At least, he's trying to be optimistic here. Or rather, hoping.

He turns to face Yongguk, who's leaning against his car and rubbing his hands together. Still chilly, he might add. Daehyun his chapped lips and points towards the bungalow. "Jiyoon... She's there?"

Yongguk shrugs. "If she's not out, then yeah, she's there." 

Daehyun takes a deep breath and nods. "I'm ready." 

Both of them get into the car, and as the gate opens, the car accelerates until it reaches the porch. Yongguk parks the car, and Daehyun steps out of the car slowly. He feels reluctant, as he's not sure what's ahead of him.

The front door opens, and a woman around 50 years old stands in the middle of the doorway. Daehyun has never seen the woman before, but he assumes it's Mrs. Bang. "Yongguk, you're home... And who's this?" she smiles, and Daehyun can feel the warmth radiating from it. Instantly, he feels welcomed. However, the one that he's hoping to meet is still nowhere to be seen. 

"Mom, this is Daehyun. He used to be Ms. Kim Sooyoung's boyfriend, the heart donor."

"Ah, yes. I'm very grateful for your late girlfriend's deed, indeed I am. You see, I've already considered Jiyoon as my daughter. A nice young lady, she is."

She is, Daehyun says, but only in his heart. 

"Why don't we go inside?" Yongguk utters. 

Daehyun has never stepped inside Yongguk's house, and he must say that he's very impressed. Even though Daehyun also has the luxury to have his apartment's interior to be decorated like this, he never even bothered to. His apartment was designed by his parents, and he never changed it ever since he moved into the apartment.

His heart starts to pound, as if telling him that Jiyoon is near. His insticts are correct as he sees the young lady emerges from the kitchen. Although wearing plain clothes, Daehyun finds her stunning. Jiyoon doesn't glance at him, and instead goes straight to Yongguk. "Oppa, you're home!" she hugs him. Daehyun takes all his will not to be jealous, and reminds himself that it's just a brother-sister relationship. 

After a few seconds of hugging, she lets go and turns to Daehyun. Their eyes meet, and Daehyun tries to hide a smile. That same kind eyes he was looking into in his dream. Her small but slightly curved lips. Everything is the same. Only...

"I've never seen you before, what's your name?"

One sentence, confirms everything. 

She doesn't know him. 

Yongguk glances at Daehyun and his eyebrows knit. He's not sure on how Daehyun is going to react. Daehyun disguises his disappointment with a chuckle, and replies, "Daehyun, Jung Daehyun. I used to be Sooyoung's boyfriend, um, you know the donor." 

"Really? That's great! I mean, I'm sorry for your loss, but I've always wanted to say thank you. When I heard you got into the car accident, I was quite shocked. Must be hard on you," she says.

"It's not really, I'm slowly starting to accept everything now." Including the fact that you don't remember me at all.

"Why are all of us standing? Come, sit at the living room. I'll make drinks, both of you must be very thirsty," Mrs. Bang cuts in.

While all of them gather at the living room, Daehyun tries searching Jiyoon's eyes for any signs of recognition. Maybe they're playing some kind of prank on him? He's just waiting for one of them to announce that they're just playing around; that none of this is actually happening. However, both of them still keep quiet. Deciding that he can't take this anymore, he speaks up. 

"Park Jiyoon."

"Yes?" she's too distracted that she doesn't even look at him. 

"Is it too much effort to even look at me?" a hint of disappointment can be heard in his voice. 

Yongguk who's been listening, looks back and forth from Jiyoon to Daehyun. He feels that he needs to protect Jiyoon, just in case Daehyun decides to do anything. He's a doctor, and he knows very well how people act when they've just lost someone whom they love very much. With all his experience, he's been through it all. Thrashing around, wailing, breaking down and more often than not, losing their minds. He's seen all the drama in front of him, so he knows how people usually act after a loss.

Jiyoon widens her eyes at Daehyun. "I'm sorry, but why are you talking at me as if you've known me for a while? I'm pretty sure that this is the first time we meet each other."

"It may be the first time for you, but it's not the first time for me," he replies, regretfully. 

"What do you mean?" she raises her eyebrows. 

"Nevermind. Maybe I was hoping too much," he shakes his head. 

Jiyoon, confused, looks at Yongguk, asking for an explanation. Yongguk just shrugs as Daehyun stands up. "I have to get going now," he doesn't look at Jiyoon as he verbalizes the words, but rather at Yongguk. He knows he shouldn't blame Jiyoon for not recognising him, though he can't help but feel disappointed.

"I'll send you home." 

"There's no need for that. I'm sure you need to-" he looks at Jiyoon, "-take care of Jiyoon. Opening the front door and gate is enough for me. I'll take the subway home."

Yongguk sends Daehyun out. Jiyoon is left to ponder on what just happened. Daehyun acted as if he has known her for quite some time, but she has never met the man before. In fact, it's the first time she has ever heard of his name. Although deep down, she feels as if she should've recognized him. She feels that there's a connection, and she doesn't want to be the one to cut it off. 

Daehyun walks to the nearest subway station, dragging along his heavy feet. On the way there, he traces every crack on the pavement. Every crack has its own story, the same goes for the cracks in his heart. Or maybe, his heart is now in pieces, broken too many times it can't be mended anymore? He's left with his own thoughts as he braves through the chilly evening. 

He scans his transportation card that he rarely uses and passes through the automatic gate. The only reason he bought the card was because Sooyoung insisted on it. She wanted to travel only by subway, and because he loved her so much he bought four, just in case both of them lose their cards. He puts back the card in his wallet, just above the spare card. He smiles faintly at it, the memories inviting themselves to occupy his thoughts. The subway hasn't arrived yet, so he sits at the bench, his back against the wall. There aren't a lot of people because most people are already home. Only a bunch of people who probably came out of work late, or those who likes to avoid the peak hours, are there. An indicator announcing that a train is approaching resonates through the space. He watches as the large transport halts to a stop, and the automatic doors open. Only a few people step out. He doesn't bother to get up, and he only watches as the train speeds off, leaving him behind.

"Hello?" Yongguk speaks slowly into the phone. 

"You never told me that Daehyun has waken up," the man says, without replying the doctor's greeting. 

"I never had the time to. He asked me to bring him somewhere..." 

"No wonder you're not there when I went to the hospital," the man chuckles, "By somewhere, did you mean seeing Jiyoon, your lovely sister?" 

"Don't you dare say her name with your dirty mouth."

The man laughs loudly, until Yongguk has to distance the phone from his ear. "You really love Jiyoon, don't you?"

"I told you not to say her name!" he shouts into the phone, while gripping it tightly. "Stop this madness right now, I've had enough of it! Daehyun is already suffering from so much pain." 

The man smiles cynically, although Yongguk can't see it. "Not yet, Doctor Yongguk. Do you think it would be easy for you to get out of this? Since I started all of this, I'm going to finish it. Only, you must know that for you, you don't have any chance of escape. You can’t run away; you're in my grip, Doctor Yongguk."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oooh, who do you think threatened Yongguk? Hehe things are about to get a little bit... twisted. Enjoy!