Chapter 9

Treat My Heart Right

"Water... I'm thirsty..."

Daehyun's weak voice wakes Jiyoon up and she jolts upright. "Are you feeling better now? Wait here, I'll pour a glass of water for you. Don't move."

"My body's sore but otherwise I think I'm fine," he answers as he takes the glass of water from her. He whimpers when he props himself up. He drinks the whole glass of water in a few seconds. He sets down the glass in front of him. "What happened? How did I end up here?"

"You were unconcious since yesterday, Yongguk helped you to go back home. Your car is still in front of my house," she says as she carries the basin of water and wet cloth to the kitchen. He nods and sinks back into the couch. Yesterday's events happened so fast he wasn't even sure whether it really happened or it was just a nightmare. However, his sore body convinces him that yesterday's event at Jiyoon's house was real. He touches his face to check for any sign of swelling, but found none. At least, he's grateful that he's not hurt badly. 

Jiyoon washes the cloth that she used to wipe off the blood from Daehyun's face in the sink. Her mind flies back to what happened yesterday, when she was watching over him. She just finished wiping his face with the damp cloth, and he was muttering something that she couldn't make out. When she's about to stand up, Daehyun, with his eyes still closed, grabbed both of her hands. She's surprised but did nothing to release the grip. His hand felt hot against her skin, but she stayed put. "Sooyoung... I miss you... Please don't leave me alone..." he muttered. 

Jiyoon, upon hearing this, instantly pulled back her hand. Somehow, she doesn't like him saying Sooyoung's name. She wanted to hear Daehyun saying her name, not the name of the one who donated her heart to her. She knows she's supposed to be grateful, but she couldn't help but feel annoyed when Sooyoung's name came out of his mouth instead of hers. Still, she stayed by his side the whole night just in case if he wakes up. Through the whole night, he didn't say anything anymore, and she drifted off to sleep.

Her thoughts are interrupted when the doorbell rings. Daehyun stands up to open the door, but she runs from the kitchen just to stop him. She offers to look who's there, and she proceeds to observe the monitor. On the monitor, she can see Yongguk's face clearly. He's wearing his usual style; only his white coat is nowhere to be seen. Jiyoon is debating on whether she should let him in when Daehyun interrupts, "Who's at the door? Is it Yongguk?"

Jiyoon, knowing that she's unable to lie, nods. "Can you open the door for him? I think I should thank him for yesterday." 

She walks heavily towards the door, and opens the door slightly. She peeks in through the space and sees the doctor staring at her with a hard expression. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to take you home."

"I have no home," she grips the door handle tightly. 

"Then, I came to take you away from here."

"Daehyun hasn't fully recovered yet."

"He's a grown man and he can take care of himself."

"Yongguk? What are you doing, standing there? Come in," both of them didn't realize that Daehyun is already standing behind Jiyoon. 

Yongguk wants to refuse but at the same time he doesn't like the idea of Jiyoon and Daehyun together under one roof. Yesterday was enough with him unable to sleep because he kept thinking about them. "Sure." Jiyoon is forced to open the door, and he steps into the large house.

"Are you feeling better now?" he asks as he settles down on the couch. Jiyoon refuses to even look at him, and she mutters something about needing to do something at the kitchen. Daehyun settles across him, stretching his legs.

"Better, but my body's still sore. Anyway, thank you for yesterday. I really don't know what would happen if you didn't help us." 

"It's nothing, really."

"Can I ask you for one more favour?"

"What is it?" Yongguk lifts his eyebrow. At the same time, he's scratching his nose, a habit he does when he's nervous about something. 

"Can you take me to Jiyoon's house? I need to take back my car."

"You still haven't fully recovered, and I don't think you can drive yet," she comes in between their conversation while holding a tray. There's only one cup on the tray, and the two men in front of her are wondering if it's for either one of them. Of course, both of them hope that it's his. She places the cup of hot tea in front of Daehyun and he tries to hide a smile. Yongguk can only watch as Daehyun picks up the cup and takes a sip.

"It's really nice, thank you."

"You're welcome," she hugs the tray to her chest. 

"No... Tea for me?" Yongguk tries his luck. 

Jiyoon ignores him and disappears into the kitchen. Yongguk sighs deeply. Daehyun sets down the cup and turns to him. "Can you help me?"

Yongguk doesn't even need to think of the answer, it just comes straight away. "Of course I can." If that's the only way to separate Daehyun and Jiyoon, he has to do it. "Come on, we can go now," he stands up and straightens his clothes. 

"Wait, I need to shower and change. I forgot that I hadn't change my clothes since yesterday," he scratches his head. 

"We don't have time for that. You still look handsome even if you didn't shower yesterday," the only reason he says this is because he doesn't want him to spend more time around her. 

Daehyun shrugs and grabs his car keys on the table. He follows him, still in yesterday's clothes, out the door. They're silent when they're in the lift, the both of them don't make the effort to make a conversation. Yongguk doesn't know whether he should feel mad at Daehyun or not. It isn't his fault; Jiyoon is the stubborn one but Yongguk feels as if he needs to blame him.

They enter Yongguk's car, and through the whole journey, the both of them still keep quiet. When they reach her house, Daehyun says a quick thank you and hops out of the vehicle. He rushes to his car, and checks to see if his car is still in the same condition as yesterday. He's quite worried Jiyoon's brother might do any damage. Thankfully, the car is still in good condition. He's about to turn around to thank Yongguk again, but his car is nowhere to be seen. He doesn't even realize the doctor had left. He notices that Yongguk isn't the same as he was a few weeks ago; he's not that friendly towards him anymore. Daehyun knows, in fact, he's sure that Jiyoon is the sole reason. He's well aware that Yongguk have feelings for her. But then again, is it wrong if he knows about all of this but he still wants to be by her side?

Is he the bad guy?

...

"Why did you leave without even telling me you're going somewhere?" Jiyoon opens the door immediately when she hears the bell. However, her heart sinks when she sees it's Yongguk who's standing at the entrance, instead of the man she's been waiting for. "Oh, it's you. Where's Daehyun?"

"You didn't greet me properly just now, and now you're asking about Daehyun when I'm right in front of your face?" 

"I'm taking care of him, so of course I'm worried about him," she replies matter-of-factly, not even noticing the regret in Yongguk's voice. 

Yongguk pretends as if he isn't hurt by what she said, and just motions for her to follow him.

"You can stay at my family's house; my mother and sisters can take care of you. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you stay there." 

She sighs and softens her frame. "I'll think about it, but for now I'm staying here until Daehyun gets better." She gestures for Yongguk to leave and she closes the door. 

He doesn't budge from his spot even though she just closed the door in his face. He looks at the floor, blinking back the tears. It's a petty thing to get sad at, but he can only watch Jiyoon getting closer to another guy. He wants to confess, but he's worried she'll only drift further if he did. So, the only solution is for him to just stay and watch her from afar. She's so near, yet so far from him. 

Looks like Daehyun wins again this time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hello! /waves/ this is my first author note after nine chapters! I decided to write this because I wanted to say thank you to the subscribers and those who left comments on this story. I know it's not that much, but I'm still very grateful because I didn't expect anyone would read my writing. So again, thank you! All of you brighten up my day :) I hope you'll continue reading the story until the end (and let's hope I won't be lazy to continue writing!) and do leave comments so I'll know you guys exist. Don't be silent readers please (nah I'm just kidding it's really up to you but I'll appreciate it). Again (for the third time), thank you! /bows 90 degress/ I love all of you hehe~