Chapter 14

Treat My Heart Right

[!!! PLEASE READ !!!] I have a question to ask to my readers, if you had to choose between Yongguk and Daehyun who would it be? Let's just say you're Jiyoon and you had to choose between the two of them, which one would you pick? Can all of you answer my question, please? I would be elated if you guys can voice out your opinion (but I don't guarantee that's how the story will turn out hehe). I really (x10000000) want to hear what you guys have to say. Even a one-word comment would be enough, but please *gets down on knees* answer the question. I want to know! Thank you, and I hope that I can hear your point of view :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oppa, do you really have to go? You only stayed here overnight," Soomin pouts while her hands reach for a piece of bread. She spreads jam on the piece of bread, folds it in half and takes a bite out of it. All of them are at the dining room, eating breakfast. Soojin and Soomin are in their school uniform, and their brother is already in his usual work clothes. 

"I was only given a day off, so I can't stay here too long. I'm sorry, okay?"

"Your brother really has to go to work, so there's nothing we can do about it," Mrs. Bang announces. She takes the napkin and wipes off . "Plus, Jiyoon eonni is here and she can be your friend. Aren't you happy that she's here?"

"Of course we're happy! But we'll be really happy if Yongguk oppa is here, too. Then we'll be a really happy family! Isn't that what Yongguk oppa wants? Having a happy family with Jiyoon eonni," she chatters excitedly. 

Yongguk almost chokes on the food he's chewing and Jiyoon has to pass over the water to him. He gulps down the water and coughs loudly. His face is red, and he hits his chest. "Soomin, what- what are you talking about? It's not polite to say that while we're eating!" he glares at his sister, who's grinning from ear to ear.

Soojin who has been listening, gives a thumbs-up to her twin and both of them high-fives. Mrs. Bang only shakes her head while she stacks up the plates to bring them to the kitchen. "I'll help you with that," Jiyoon's hands fly over and picks up the plates. 

When Mrs. Bang is pretty sure Jiyoon is out of earshot, she whispers to his son, "She's going to be a good daughter-in-law." She taps lightly on his son's hand. 

"Mom..." he mutters. 

"I'm just saying," she winks. 

"Jiyoon eonni seems like a nice person! I'd like to have her as my sister," Soojin announces. 

Her brother pinches her cheeks, and she rubs it when it hurts. "Stop saying things like that, you're going to make Jiyoon eonni uncomfortable," he wipes off his hands off the napkin. 

"Aren't we making you uncomfortable?" Soomin says playfully and both of them run towards the front door. He doesn't have time to react as their petite bodies disappear from his vision. 

"These two-" he stops. 

"Don't punish them for that, you know how they are," Mrs. Bang touches his son's shoulder lightly.

Yongguk chuckles, "I know they can be cheeky sometimes but I won't do anything to punish them. They're still kids after all." He finishes off the water the glass of water and stands up. "I'll get going now, I'll send Soojin and Soomin on my way to work. I love you, mom, I'll come visit some time again," he kisses his mom's forehead. "Take care of yourself."

"What about Jiyoon? Aren't you going to meet her first?" his mom says. 

"She's busy at the kitchen and I don't want to disturb her, so I think it's better for me to just leave her alone. Bye, mom!" he says hurriedly. 

"The three of them left already?" Jiyoon who just finished washing the plates look around the dining room. Only Mrs. Bang is there, while the rest of the chairs are empty. 

"They left already, Yongguk's sending the twins off to school on his way to work."

"Oh, so he's not coming back?" she replies, a hint of disappointment in her voice. 

Mrs. Bang smiles. "Why, are you missing him already?"

"It's- it's not- it's just that I don't-" she stammers.

"I'm pretty sure he'll come here again in the nearest time so don't worry so much. In the mean time, do you want to follow me to the grocery store? I need to buy a few ingredients to cook for today's lunch."

"I'd love to."

...

The first thing he wants to do after waking up is call Sooyoung and hear her voice. Groggily, he picks up his phone on the bedside table and grumbles when he can't find her number. After a few seconds, he realized that he deleted her number, and that he wouldn't be able to hear her voice anymore. Whenever he thinks of Sooyoung, he can't help but think of Jiyoon too. He's about to search for her number, he realizes he doesn't have her number. Does she even own a phone? The short time he had spent with her, not even once did he see her holding a phone. To be pretty honest, he wants to see her, hear her voice and talk to her. However, the image of Yongguk hugging her angers him and he throws his phone on his bed. He yawns, stretches and rubs his eyes. 

Is he supposed to be mad at Yongguk? Daehyun is sure he initiated the hug, but thinking about it, Jiyoon didn't even push herself away. So, should he be mad at the girl? Or maybe he should just be angry at himself for being so weak. Those questions keep playing in his head as he grabs his towel, showers, and gets dressed. 

He gets dressed to go to the grocery store, since he didn't go yesterday. He did actually plan to go there together with Jiyoon, and spend some time with her. His plan came to a halt when Jiyoon chose to follow Yongguk instead of staying over at his house. Plus, after the talk with his older brother, he couldn't bring himself to go anywhere except back home. His brother's 'advice' haunted him until he fell asleep. 

Make her yours no matter what it takes.

Should he even think about his brother's 'advice'? They never really liked each other, yet now his brother's telling him to go after the girl and not care about other people. Their personalities are rather the opposite; there's a world of difference between Daehyun and Jiwook. Jiwook is always the talk of the family because he's very capable of running the company and he's going to inherit the company from their father. Meanwhile Daehyun is always the focus because there's always something wrong with him. Incapable, bad attitude, and doesn't have any knowledge about business. He's never interested in those kinds of affairs; he knows that when it's business, dirty work is going to be involved. Sure, he feels contented for being able to buy whatever he wants because he has a lot of money, but deep down inside it's not what he really wants. It's not the money he earned by himself; those are all the fortune his parents have been feeding him since he's small. He's always been so proud for being wealthy, but Sooyoung changed his point of view. Everything is not about money, and your happiness doesn't depend on it. 

After knowing Sooyoung for a long time, he starts to realize he's not fit to be in the family business. Surely Jiwook is going to inherit the company, and Hyunshik, his second brother, is going to hold a high position in the company. Hyunshik is also very capable; their parents always praise his communicating skills. He's good at persuading people, and that's why Daehyun can see how good he is at getting a lot of girls. His second brother surely knows how to sweet talk. Their parents made sure that Daehyun knows that he's the odd one out, the weird one. Daehyun is nothing special to them; he's just a son which is as good as nothing. Daehyun remembers, as soon as he finished high school, his parents ordered him to move out of the house. They promised to give him whatever he wants, whatever amount of money he wants, as long as he doesn't go anywhere near them. They don't want to see his face, and as long as he lays low, they're fine with it. So that's what he did, and it was hard for the first few months. He felt lonely, no one to talk to except for Sooyoung. She's the one who cheered him up, telling that he's special and he shouldn't be bothered by whatever his parents told him. She's his sun, but now she's gone along with the light that she had always shone on him.

Daehyun picks up his jacket and puts it on since the weather is still chilly. He picks up his car keys on the dresser, and sees the bag with the diamond ring in it. He picks the bag up, examines it and shrugs. It's a ring that he bought with his parents' money instead of his, and he realizes it's meaningless now. He laughs to hide his broken heart; he even thought of proposing to Sooyoung with a ring bought with his parents' money! He turns the box around and takes a last look at the ring. He smiles sourly and throws it into the bin under his dresser. 

It holds a bad memory, and he surely doesn't want to hold on to it.