Chapter 12

Treat My Heart Right

She buries her face in his chest, taking in his sweet scent. Everything else becomes a blur when they close the space between them, her ears unable to capture any sound except for the sound of Yongguk's heartbeat. Both of them remain silent, and just after a few minutes of hugging, Yongguk finally let go. He looks into her eyes and says, "Please, listen to me. I don't want you to spend anymore time in Daehyun's house, I don't like it."

She silently nods, and decides to obey what he says. She finally gets back to her senses; what Yongguk said is true. She shouldn't be staying in a man's house, especially someone whom she just met a few weeks ago. She doesn't know what his intentions are, and she just let herself became vulnerable in front of him. 

Yongguk notices Daehyun standing a few metres from them, staring at them with fire in his eyes. He slowly makes his way towards them, and Yongguk stands in front of Jiyoon to shield her.

"I'm not as bad as you think I am. I have no bad intentions," Daehyun says through gritted teeth. 

"That's what you're saying but I don't know what's in your heart. Who knows what you're going to do to her when you just lost your girlfriend a few weeks ago? Especially since Jiyoon received her heart. How will I know if you're not going to hurt her?" 

"You have no right to talk bad about me! If I planned to hurt her, why on earth did I save her yesterday?" 

"You wouldn't be there in the first place if I-" Yongguk stops mid-sentence. He cancels his intentions to continue his sentence and instead gestures for Jiyoon to push the button beside the lift. "Let's get out of here."

While waiting for the lift to open, both of them are staring at each other as if one of them are going to pounce on the other any moment. Jiyoon, who's watching, tugs on Yongguk's shirt sleeve. "Oppa, please stop. Don't fight with each other, I beg you." To be pretty honest, she has never seem him like this and she's a little bit scared. The Yongguk he knows is always so gentle and soft-spoken. Yet now he's staring at Daehyun like he's going to punch him in the face. 

The lift opens, and Yongguk steps inside. As Jiyoon is about to follow him, Daehyun halts her by saying, "That's it? You're going to leave just like that?"

"Jiyoon," Yongguk warns. 

A little part of her wants to stay with Daehyun, but she knows what she's really going to do. "I'm sorry, Daehyun. Thank you for letting me stay," she stands beside Yongguk. Daehyun rushes in front of the lift, and prevents the lift from closing. 

"Stay here a little bit more, stay until I feel better," he's desperately pleading. If he could, he wants to get on his knees, but that means showing how weak he is in front of another man. That's absolutely not a choice especially in front of the doctor. 

"Just let it go, Daehyun," Yongguk presses the close button. She sees Daehyun's trembling eyes for a split second before the lift closes. The environment becomes quiet as the lift starts to descend. She stays in one corner, hugging herself. Yongguk watches silently as she twirls her hair around her finger. The hug that happened earlier; does she really mean it? Or is it just an automatic reaction? He is left wondering about the questions as they move towards his car. 

"Are you okay?" Yongguk asks her as they get out of the building. Yongguk parked his car at the side of the building, since non-residents are restricted from entering the parking lot of the condominium. He unlocks his car and opens the door for her. She doesn't answer his question but smiles faintly, hoping that it's good enough to indicate that she's fine. 

He steals a glance at her every single time the car stops, be it because of traffic lights or traffic jams. He simply finds a reason to peek at her; her figure is bathed in the sunlight, creating a beautiful spotlight on her. The warmness of the hug is still lingering, and he smiles when thinking of it. He doesn't know how did he get the courage to do so, before he's just so worried that Jiyoon might push him away. Fortunately, she didn't. Only now he's worried that she might regret the hug, and that she doesn't feel the same way towards him. However, he makes himself feel better by stating that Jiyoon actually picked him over Daehyun.

“We’re here,” he informs and he pulls up in front of a bungalow. The automatic gate, which is decorated with metallic flowers, opens and exhibits the house’s grand exterior. Pots of flowers line up the road up to the porch, and Jiyoon is left to gawk at the panorama. A few cars are parked at the porch, each of them shining magnificently. To the left of the bungalow is a huge garden, and colourful flowers dotted the lush greenery. There’s a gazebo at the center of the garden, with an iron garden table and four chairs under it. There are also flowers in hanging pots around the gazebo.

Jiyoon can see a middle-aged woman watering the flowers, and the woman smiles when she sees Yongguk’s car entering the house compound. She turns off the water tap, wipes her hand on the towel on her shoulder, and waves as the car stops at the porch. Yongguk steps out of the car, followed by Jiyoon.

He strides towards the woman, with her tagging along. She’s still unsure of who the woman is, but she’s guessing it’s Yongguk’s mother as he hugs the woman and gives a light peck on her forehead. Her guess is proved correct when he introduces them to one another. “Mom, this is the patient I told you about, Jiyoon, and Jiyoon, this is my mom.” Jiyoon does a slight bow, and his mom smiles when she sees Jiyoon’s reaction. Jiyoon instantly likes her because she gives off the warm and friendly aura.

“You’re just exactly how Yongguk described you,” she states.

“Really? How did he describe me?” she’s really curious on how he portrayed her.

“He says you’re beautiful-“

“I think that’s enough of talking, shouldn’t we go into the house? It’s hot outside here,” he purposely cuts of his mom’s words, and pretends to fan himself. He feels hot, but it’s not because of the weather. His mom almost blurted out what he feared; the last thing he wants is Jiyoon hearing how he described her to his mom. “Is Soojin and Soomin inside? They should be home from school by now, right?”

“They’re inside, doing their homework. They miss you so much since you’re always so busy with work, I’m sure they’ll be happy when they see you.”

The three of them go into the house, and Jiyoon’s feet immediately become cold because of the smooth marble floor.

“Soojin, Soomin, come down. Your brother is home!” his mom calls out.

The sound of rustling feet can be heard from the floor above, and two little girls come rushing down, racing with each other. Both of them throw themselves at Yongguk, and he hugs the both of them. Jiyoon is quite astounded to see that they’re identical twins. They look the same; one of them has her hair in a ponytail, while another has shoulder-length hair.

Jiyoon gives a little smile as she watches Yongguk pinches both of their cheeks. He ruffles her hair and asks about their day. The one in the ponytail turns to Jiyoon, and looks up at her with puppy eyes. She blinks cutely at the lady, and grins.

“Oppa, I know who this eonni is! She’s your girlfriend, right?”