Chapter 15

Treat My Heart Right

I'm back! Haha do you miss me? Of course not. I wanted to post this chapter on my birthday, but didn't have the chance to because of school :< But now since I have the chance to, so why not? Here's chapter 15 (I still can't believe I managed to write this far, and I didn't think people would want to read) for all of my lovely readers/subscribers!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Can you help me with these ingredients? I need to go to other sections," Mrs. Bang passes the list Jiyoon. 

She examines the list and nods. "Sure, is there anything else I can help?" 

"This supermarket is big, so you might get lost. Just call me if you need help, okay?" she laughs. 

"Um, I would but... I don't own a phone," she taps her worn-out handbag. 

"Then we can meet near the dairy section. No worries," Mrs. Bang squeezes her hand. 

She nods eagerly and takes the trolley. When Mrs. Bang is out of sight, she proceeds to go to the seafood section. She hums to herself as she pushes the trolley along the lane, nodding at herself when she reads every single word on the list. "What a long list," she mutters to herself. Usually, she doesn't have the luxury to buy whatever she wants. They have to stick to a certain budget because they don't have that much money. But for Yongguk's family, it seems they're free to buy whatever they want. She approaches the prawns placed on shaved ice and tears a translucent plastic bag. She scoops some and dumps them into the bag. She goes to weigh them, and checks off a few other things on the list. After going here and there, she finally finishes them off. 

She slaps her forehead when she forgets to take tofu. She rushes to the refrigerator, which contains a wide range of tofus and opens it when she finds what she wants. 

"I didn't expect to see you here."

Her hand freezes and hovers over the packet of tofu. It's a voice she recognizes so well, and she doesn't dare to turn around. Her fingers and face are starting to get cold because of the refrigerator, but she rather face that rather than the owner of the voice. She gulps and wraps her hand around the packet.

"Aren't you cold? You've been near the fridge for nearly one minute," the voice speaks up again. 

It's true, she's getting cold and she's pretty sure her face is already red. She doesn't respond to the voice, but instead thinks of a plan to run away. Maybe if she just turn around and...

She spins and throws the packet of tofu to the owner of the voice's face. She doesn't take time to see the latter's reaction as she speeds off with the trolley. She doesn't look back as her feet bring her away from the place. She really hopes that the victim of her 'tofu-throwing' move won't chase after her or she'll be in big trouble. She doesn't mind people giving her weird looks, as long as she's able to escape. She pauses to catch her breath near the dry goods section. She can see Mrs. Bang at the other end, still looking around, but she doesn't try to catch her attention. Explaining to her why she's panting will be a big problem. 

"You forgot this," the same voice greets her again. 

This time, she is really glued to the spot, unable to do anything. The man extends his hand, gripping the packet of tofu. She looks down, refusing to look at the man.

"I'm not mad at you for throwing the packet of tofu to me," the man says playfully. 

She snatches the packet of tofu from the man's hand and throws it into the trolley. She's just about to move away, but the man's voice stops her. 

"Please don't run away, again. If not, it's going to be the third time you ran away from me," sadness dominates his voice. 

"What are you doing here?" she replies coldly. 

"Am I not allowed to shop for groceries? I'm pretty sure this is a public supermarket," the man replies sarcastically. 

"Daehyun, please, leave me alone."

"Ah, so you do remember my name. I thought you had forgotten me since that hug with Yongguk," he snarls. He had wanted to sound mean, but the words just come out as pathetic. It just shows that he's hurt by that; he had wanted to show that he's strong and wouldn't crumble because of a woman, but he appears the opposite. 

"The hug was just-"

"You didn't push yourself away and I stood there watching like an idiot!"

Other customers are staring at them, while a few children hide themselves behind their parents. They must've thought Jiyoon and Daehyun is a couple who are fighting in the middle of a busy supermarket. 

"And why should that matter to you? Why do you care about what I do? You're not my boyfriend and you don't own me!" Since Jiyoon is shorter than Daehyun, she has to look up to look him straight in the eyes. Her eyes are trembling but she doesn't budge. 

Daehyun gives up and looks away. He doesn't have a comeback for that; it's true anyway. He's not her boyfriend and he doesn't own her. How can he say that he's already falling for her? How will she react to it if he just open up and say whatever is in his heart? "The point is, you shouldn't go around hugging strangers, especially a man," he concludes. 

"Yongguk oppa is not a stranger, he's been my doctor since the first time I was admitted to the hospital."

"That doesn't give you a reason to go around and hug a man."

"He hugged me first."

"Obviously, and you enjoyed it, didn't you?"

"That's not it-"

"Then, do you like him?"

She silences herself, as she doesn't know the answer to his question. Does she? She didn't pull back but she herself doesn't know the reason why. She grips the handle of the trolley tightly. She's thinking of running away again, but Daehyun's hopeful face cancels her plan. She can't bear to run away from him again. Daehyun is shifting from a foot to another, impatient to hear her answer. If her answer is no, then his heart will be at ease. But if her answer is yes, he doesn't know how he'll react to that. 

"If I say I do like him, what would you do?"

"That's what I fear the most, so please, I don't want to hear those words, ever," he's starting to open up. He doesn't want to hide, if that's what his heart says, that's what he's going to do. Maybe his brother's advice is starting to seep in, maybe he will do whatever it takes for Jiyoon to be his. He doesn't want Yongguk by her side; he wants him to be with her. No matter what people think.

"I don't know. I honestly don't know what I feel about him."

"Then I'll take as a no."

"Daehyun-"

He silences her by reducing the distance between their faces. Their lips are almost touching, and Jiyoon is pretty sure that he's teasing her. She can feel his hot breath against her skin. "Since you don't like Yongguk... Allow me to make you fall in love with me."