Chapter 41

Treat My Heart Right

“You ring the bell first.”

“This is- well, was, your house. Get your out of the car and ring the freaking bell.”

Yongguk and Daehyun keep fighting over on who’s going to ring the bell to the house first; they’ve been doing that for the past few minutes. After the incident yesterday, Yongguk promised to end all of it and make things right once more. Yongguk picked Daehyun up, and now they’re in front of Yongguk’s bungalow. Finally, Yongguk gives up and gets out of the car. Daehyun looks on as he rings the bell, taps his feet out of nervousness and paces back and forth. The door opens slowly, revealing the exterior of the bungalow. Yongguk gets in the car, takes a deep breath and parks his car.

Just as Yongguk steps his foot outside of the car, the twins are already throwing themselves at him. He hugs them joyfully, and Daehyun can’t help but smile when he sees the siblings reunite. His eyes are starting to get teary watching the scene, and he pretends to rub his eyes when in reality he’s just wiping away his tears. Mrs. Bang appears calmly behind the twins, giving off the comforting smile that forms wrinkles under her eyes.

The twins finally let go of their brother, and now Yongguk is the one throwing himself towards his mother. He sobs like a baby, his shoulders jiggling as his mother pats his back.

“Oppa, we missed you a lot. We knew you would be back someday!”

“Aren’t you curious on where I’ve been?”

“Mom just told us that you’re going somewhere and you’ll return someday. We always trust mom, so we didn’t ask questions,” Soomin replies.

“We know you can take care of yourself,” Soojin says, which brings laughter to the people around her.

“Why don’t we go inside and make ourselves comfortable?” Mrs. Bang invites them. All of them make a beeline for the front door, but Daehyun doesn’t budge.

“Daehyun, aren’t you coming?” Yongguk enquires.

“For a moment; I need to make a call. You guys go inside first.”

As soon as he’s left alone, he takes out his phone, dials a newly saved number and puts the phone to his ear. After a few rings, the person on the other line picks up.

Daehyun speaks up, “Jiyoon, I need you to come somewhere.”

The family is exchanging stories, occasionally laughing. Daehyun doesn’t interrupt; after all they haven’t seen each other for a long time. He quietly sips his tea, and hopes that Jiyoon wouldn’t hesitate to accept his invitation. After what feels like an eternity, a bell finally comes.

“I’ll go see who’s at the gate,” Daehyun offers. No one stops him, and he hurries off before someone changes their minds. He opens the automatic gate by pressing the switch beside the front door. He makes his way downhill, panting along the way, as he’s still not used to it. He sees Jiyoon standing just outside the compound. She’s wearing a simple sundress with her hair braided to the side. Daehyun greets her enthusiastically, almost pulling her inside.

“Why are you so excited? What is it that you wanted to show me?”

Daehyun doesn’t say anything as he makes Jiyoon follow him. The girl doesn’t protest, but she’s still feeling something’s different. She finally sees the car, a car she’s never seen before, and she quickens her pace when she sees Daehyun standing at the front door, as if waiting for her. Jiyoon finally arrives beside him, correcting the position of her bag on her shoulder.

“Go on in,” Daehyun invites.

Jiyoon steps inside, and at last she sees him. Bang Yongguk sitting there, laughing away with his family, alive and healthy. The atmosphere turns quiet when they see Jiyoon, but Jiyoon just stands there with her limbs frozen. She’s stuck in place, as she can’t believe what she’s seeing.

Yongguk’s body turns rigid when he sees his ex-patient standing there, unable to read her expression. He gets ready just in case Jiyoon decides to punch him like Daehyun did when he first saw him, or slap him hard on the cheek. He gulps when Jiyoon advances towards him, and he’s taken aback.

She doesn’t punch or slap him; she did something he didn’t anticipate at all. Jiyoon is hugging him, tight. Jiyoon, realizing what she’s doing, lets go. Yongguk stands up and pulls her again into an embrace. Mrs. Bang smiles at the scene, the twins whistle and Daehyun blinks his eyes rapidly, unsure of what to feel.

“I miss you.”

“I miss you too, Park Jiyoon.”

“I don’t want to hear whatever reasons you have; I’m just glad you’re here. I’m just glad that my wait for the past four years is not useless. I’m happy that you’re not… dead.”

Daehyun quietly gestures to Mrs. Bang that he’s leaving. Mrs. Bang tries to stop him, but he waves at her. “Let them be,” he mouths.

He sets off, this time walking at a slow pace. They finally met each other, and Daehyun hopes that every misunderstanding will be gone. He looks up to the sky, the glaring sun causing him to shield his eyes.

“Bang Yongguk, you’re always trying to make other people happy by hurting yourself. In the end, you’re the one who found the moon.”


I just want to inform you guys that the next chapter will be the last chapter! Thank you for continuing to read up until here, and I just want you to know that I really appreciate every single one of you :)