Chapter 36

Treat My Heart Right

“Police said they found his car near Mapo Bridge but Yongguk is nowhere to be found.”

“What about the CCTV cameras? Aren’t there any traces of him? There should be something!”

“You see, there’s a problem with the CCTV…”

“What do you mean?”

“It seemed to be damaged. Only a static screen was shown.”

“That’s bull. How can the cameras be damaged at that particular time?” Jiyoon shouts at him, before crumpling into a ball of a pitiful figure. “I didn’t have time to say sorry to him…” A tear escapes. “I was wrong, I shouldn’t have been so hard on him…” Another tear. Soon, she’s in a puddle of tears.

“Jiyoon, stand up. We can figure this out someplace else, okay?”

Her bloodshot eyes look at him with regret, unable to mutter anything. Daehyun helps her to stand up and supports her. He nods at the detectives at the station, and leaves the building. He lets her let it all out, driving along the highway with normal speed. He steals a few glances at her, and realizes she’s sleeping.

‘All that crying must have exhausted her,’ Daehyun whispers to himself.

It’s been more than 24 hours since Yongguk is missing, and he doesn’t know what to do next. He has told Mrs. Bang, and she doesn’t sound as surprised as he thought she would be. She told him that she would figure out a way on how to break it to his sisters. Did the old woman foresee it? You’ll never know; the intuition of a mother is stronger than anything else.

“Oppa, I’m so sorry…” Tears flow, wetting her red cheeks. Daehyun looks at Jiyoon again; he notices that she’s crying and speaking in her sleep. Daehyun sighs deeply, and increases the speed of his car.

Jiyoon is still sleeping when he arrives in front of Yongguk’s house. He rings the bell and as soon as the door opens, he turns off the engine. He carries Jiyoon on his back and sets her down slowly on the sofa. Mrs. Bang smiles weakly at the sight of them together.

“She’s really shocked, so maybe you want to let her rest for a bit. Where are Soojin and Soomin?”

“They’re not home yet. They’re still at school, I’ll tell them once they get back home.”

“It must be hard on you.”

Mrs. Bang smiles weakly, her eyes showing remorse. “You can never understand young hearts. But I know I can’t do anything, this was my son’s choice.”

“He didn’t have to do it this way…”

“He felt as if he had no other choice.”

“He’s still alive…”

“That’s what we all want to believe. But he’s been gone for almost two days, and his car is found near Mapo Bridge. You know what that means, right?”

Mapo Bridge. Han River. Daehyun understands what Mrs. Bang means.

“Then, I’ll get going now. Please take care of Jiyoon.”

“Will you come back again? Even after Yongguk’s not here anymore?”

Daehyun doesn’t answer as he smiles faintly and excuses himself. Mrs. Bang nods meekly. She sends him off at the gate, waving as he speeds off, leaving a cloud of dust behind. Mrs. Bang walks back towards the front house, her heart silently praying that her only son is all right, wherever he is.

It’s been one month since Yongguk is missing, and there is no further news on him. Ever since he sends Jiyoon off, he doesn’t meet her again. He feels it’s not right to be with her when she’s grieving over Yongguk’s disappearance. In fact, he doesn’t feel he’s right for her. He finally retrieved the car that he was allegedly involved in an accident with, but he sold it off because it had too many bitter memories. He still keeps the letter he received from Yongguk, and the necklace with the star-shaped locket. He’s still wondering on what he meant about ‘the moon’ and he hopes that he’ll find out soon enough.

He gets out of the house, gets into his car and leaves for Mapo Bridge. He brings the necklace together with him, gripping it tightly in his hands. He looks over the bridge and lets the cold air hits his face. Only pain comes at him ever since Sooyoung died. He can’t believe he lost Yongguk, the doctor he barely knows. The doctor who would do anything to save a life of someone he loves dearly.

First, it was the letter from Sooyoung. And now, it was the letter from Yongguk. At first, it was Sooyoung who left him. Now, Yongguk is nowhere to be found.

Deep down inside, he hopes that he’s still alive. Or is he too stupid to hope for that?

He wanted to be with Jiyoon. He wanted to. Was he selfish for wanting that?

“Yongguk oppa left me, and now you want to walk out of my life too?” Jiyoon appears beside him, leaning against the rail.

“What are you talking about?”

“It’s been one month since I last saw you, don’t you think you’re being too harsh on me?”

“What are you doing here?”

“Just like you, I’m still hoping that Yongguk oppa is still alive out there somewhere. Maybe I’m looking for a sign here.”

“And maybe the both of us have to accept the fact that he’s not here anymore.”

“So you’re asking me to forget him just like that? Do you know how regretful I am?”

“I know, that’s why I’m asking for us to forget everything.”

“Forget everything, like that? You know forgetting everything is not that easy!”

“If we don’t try, we won’t know what will happen. And that’s why, the both of us have to help each other to forget.”

“How do you suppose we help each other?”

“Since we have a lot of bitter memories together, why don’t we… start over?”

“Start over? Can you stop being so vague and get straight to the point?”

“Start our lives over, but without each other. We pretend that we don’t exist to each other; Jung Daehyun doesn’t know Park Jiyoon, and Park Jiyoon doesn’t know Jung Daehyun. Soon, it’ll come naturally. We’ll forget about each other. We can go on with our lives, acting as if everything is normal. We never had these memories together; we have never met each other. Jung Daehyun is just Jung Daehyun, and Park Jiyoon is just Park Jiyoon. My name doesn’t exist in your dictionary, and your name doesn’t exist in mine.”

“Are you even listening to yourself? Are you crazy?”

“Maybe I am crazy. I’m sorry Jiyoon.”

“Sorry doesn’t fix anything, Jung Daehyun!”

Daehyun pretends as if he doesn’t hear what she just said and continues talking. “Let’s not meet each other again, Jiyoon. I’ll try with all my might so I don’t run into you anymore, therefore you don’t have to worry.”

“Jung Daehyun, not you too! You’re leaving, just like Yongguk did? Both of you are cowards! And I’m tired of crying…” Jiyoon shouts at him but he ignores her. It’s as if his ears are blocked; all he sees is Jiyoon crying in front of him, soundlessly.

“It’s nice knowing you, Park Jiyoon. But starting from now on, we’re strangers.”